• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

L Thammy

AGAIN: i do not care for your opinion on what YOU think it sold. I'm asking how much it sold, worldwide, over 12 months. If you don't know the answer, fine, MOVE ALONG. Also please state where i believe it sold those numbers. Try READING next time because you seem to have serious issues with that. I'm saying those are the numbers stated on youknowwhere. I'm not saying they are accurate HENCE ME ASKING.

And if you had the numbers, what would you going to compare them to? What is the threshold for a sequel to be made? How many copies were moved only at heavy discounts?

Zing

Banned
What a witty remark. Now, do you have actually something substantial to add to the discussion or not? No? Ok.

Nothing personal, but I felt this post doesn't add anything either. I find it easier and more conducive to the discussion to just ignore people who are off-topic or just plain wrong, and there are a lot of them on this forum. Smart or informed people know which posts to take seriously and which to ignore. We don't need every single one called out.

I was a little ambivalent about Tropical Freeze until yesterday. I decided to break out DKC Returns and try to finish it before February. I forgot how much fun this game is. It's perfectly challenging. It's difficult, but not unfair. Every single death of mine was earned fairly. I think I only made it through four stages in an hour. Now I am excited for the new game. I am not usually one to care about graphics, but the 480p resolution was very jarring after playing Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3.

Speaking of Pikmin 3, I finally broke the shrink on it yesterday. I initially thought the lack of coop in the campaign was odd, but after playing missions for a few hours, I no longer care. I suspect the missions are a better implementation. It is so fun to rush around collecting fruit with my daughter. I do wish I had a table or something to place the gamepad so I could see the map more easily. The map actually helped us find some critical fruit. We got "gold" on the first three missions, and came close to perfecting the first one. What a great game.

Nothing personal, but I felt this post doesn't add anything either. I find it easier and more conducive to the discussion to just ignore people who are off-topic or just plain wrong, and there are a lot of them on this forum. Smart or informed people know which posts to take seriously and which to ignore. We don't need every single one called out.

I definitely see both sides of the coin. But I do have to emphasize that the "witty" comments definitely could've been done without. He asked a polite question, and a polite question deserves a polite answer.

For MY answer, sadly I don't have much in the way of sales data to share. :( BUT I do recall Dengeki posting recent data with ZombiU, and I was shocked that it was the 10th highest selling Wii U game a week or two ago:

Fake edit:

Wii U Top 10 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

01./NEW [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5,985) - 106,967 / NEW <40-60%>
02./01. [WIU] Wii Party U <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4,935) - 22,407 / 147,478 <40-60%> (+20%)
03./02. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5,985) - 18,072 / 638,755 <80-100%> (+42%)
04./NEW [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5,480) - 17,518 / NEW <0-20%>
05./05. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online (Bargain Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.09.26} (¥3,990)
06./04. [WIU] Wii Fit U (Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White) <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34,800)
07./06. [WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3,885)
08./07. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4,935)
09./03. [WIU] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7,980)
10./10. [WIU] ZombiU <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.12.08} (¥6,980)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92476897&postcount=451

No LTD and even numbers for that week, but seriously that's unexpected.

Shiggy

AGAIN: i do not care for your opinion on what YOU think it sold. I'm asking how much it sold, worldwide, over 12 months. If you don't know the answer, fine, MOVE ALONG. Also please state where i believe it sold those numbers. Try READING next time because you seem to have serious issues with that. I'm saying those are the numbers stated on youknowwhere. I'm not saying they are accurate HENCE ME ASKING.

Well, it can be inferred from these comments
Again, that was months ago. I think this will prove to be a game with long legs.
Early numbers are meaningless if that's all you have. This game must have traveled through word of mouth since then. It's that kind of title. Also Wii U in Europe still sold over half of what it did in the US. Enough to matter.
that you believe that it sold much better since then. If you think that sales from July are meaningless - when Wii U sales have remained mediocre - it implies that you believe that these sales have drastically increased since that point of time.
Also, we only have US (and Japanese) sales available as public data. However, we can easily do an extrapolation based on that, leading us to sales around 300k-400, more at the lower end.. Moreover, there has been absolutely no indication that ZombiU has any legs.

I posed a very clear question. I didn't ask to get trolled.

When data is not available, it is necessary to provide an estimate based on real data and wishful thinking. If this data is not what you want to see, then don't ask for it. We have clearly seen that the audience for "mature" titles such as ZombiU is not on Wii U; yet NSMBU has an attach rate of 70% in the US. It's not hard to see that it's the Mario audience buying the console, especially when all other titles flop.

ozfunghi

Well, it can be inferred from these comments

No it can't. Believing a game has legs =/= believing sales boomed or drastically increased its numbers. But not only are your numbers for just 7 months, they are also just for the US. Stating EU numbers are close to irrelevant because the platform hasn't sold too well does not help your point, because the platform didn't sell anywhere. Disregarding the EU sales, you might as well disregard the US sales as well and state the games sold 0 copies.

Moreover, there has been absolutely no indication that ZombiU has any legs.

Except for the post above yours and many examples of anecdotal evidence.

If this data is not what you want to see, then don't ask for it.

lol, but i didn't. I asked how much the game sold. Not how much it sold during its first half year in one region.

But let's stop derailing the thread with answers to unposed questions, shall we? So no numbers are available? Ok, let's leave it at that.

Shiggy

No it can't. Believing a game has legs =/= believing sales boomed or drastically increased its numbers. But not only are your numbers for just 7 months, they are also just for the US. Stating EU numbers are close to irrelevant because the platform hasn't sold too well does not help your point, because the platform didn't sell anywhere. Disregarding the EU sales, you might as well disregard the US sales as well and state the games sold 0 copies.

In context of the the unbelievable VG Chart* numbers, I pointed out that we have US numbers only, and yet even with European sales those numbers would be impossible. The difference between the real-life US number and the VG Chart* worldwide numbers are too big, EU sales are too negligible to make up for that. And I stand by that point. It'd be a miracle had ZombiU sold better in Europe than in the US.

Except for the post above yours and many examples of anecdotal evidence.

Are you seriously referencing that Japanese sales chart now to show that it has "legs"?

lol, but i didn't. I asked how much the game sold. Not how much it sold during its first half year in one region.

Well, I tried to be helpful and provide evidence for why the VG Chart* number is far from reality. Based on that, I gave a more reliable number. In the meantime, you even disputed obvious observations such as that the Wii U audience is mainly buying Mario games, as evidenced by the incredibly high attach rate of NSMB U and the incredibly low sales of all other titles.

But let's stop derailing the thread with answers to unposed questions, shall we? So no numbers are available? Ok, let's leave it at that.

Numbers are available to provide better estimates than VG Chart* does.

But to find a bridge to get back to the topic, we can say that ZombiU did not meet Ubi's expectations, that it did not break even, and that they have no desire to make a sequel. Ubisoft. Also, Ubisoft is slowly decreasing support for the Wii U platform after their recent offerings also failed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
what a pity these last two pages. there are very few enjoyable topics about wiiu on GAF, due to sales struggles and barren lineup, can't we try to keep'em "safe" from all of this, please?

maxcriden

what a pity these last two pages. there are very few enjoyable topics about wiiu on GAF, due to sales struggles and barren lineup, can't we try to keep'em "safe" from all of this, please?

This. Aostia speaks the truth as always.

Let's change the subject. Looking back over the past year-ish since launch, what Wii U game was the biggest surprise for you?

CrisKre

Let's change the subject. Looking back over the past year-ish since launch, what Wii U game was the biggest surprise for you?
Id say wonderful 101 exceeded my expectations. Other surprises as to how much I enjoyed them where toki tori 2, lego cities and zombi u.

The wii u had given me so much more enjoyment so far than the wii is not even funny. It really sucks is not selling more tbh.

Weng

Pikmin 3. It was my first Pikmin game and I'm really surprised about how much I liked it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Lego City Undercover maybe? Because I knew all the other stuff would be amazing. This was always kind of a wild card.

Sendou

Nintendo Land. Expected nothing from that game but it's just such a fun game. Works very well as a singleplayer too. Certainly didn't expect that. OST is amazing. Graphics and artstyle are very good too.

As a multiplayer game it's obviously something before unseen. That Luigi's Mansion minigame is intense.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo Land. Expected nothing from that game but it's just such a fun game. Works very well as a singleplayer too. Certainly didn't expect that. OST is amazing. Graphics and artstyle are very good too.

As a multiplayer game it's obviously something before unseen. That Luigi's Mansion minigame is intense.

Oh yea, the NintendoLand OST was amazing. Didn't expect that part to be as awesome as it turned out to be.

Lego City Undercover maybe? Because I knew all the other stuff would be amazing. This was always kind of a wild card.

LCU is the funniest game I've played in nearly a decade. It's hilarious and very fun to explore and play.

I highly recommend it. TT Fusion are now AAA tier due to this game, if you tell me a game is being made by the very same team (and not the side of TT Fusion that does low budget stuff like Spy Hunter)), then that will peak my interest.

Honestly, the lower-end side needs to spin-off into a 3rd TT team to differentiate from the LCU team. Very unnecessary baggage. Looks like the LCU could be a VERY valuable Wii U team and I guess the low-end team is the handheld department, so call them TT Fusion Mobile or something.

And how the fuck does the main TT Games handle so many platforms at once? Look at Marvel and the Movie game! TT Fusion is always in charge of the handheld versions IIRC (but never completely credited via logo).

My hopes are that Nintendo and the LCU team work on a sequel either for much later in the Wii U's life, or better, on the Wii U's successor, I don't think this is a game that needs a sequel so soon, it's massive.

Unless for example they really up the graphics, which is very possible, I'd imagine LCU didn't push the console that much, but damn it's polished when Lego games are PRONE to hiccups. Dat Nintendo partnership.

jmizzal

Biggest surprise is the Wonderful 101 and I dont even have the game yet just played the demo, I ordered it from best buy so it should be here this week.

Reason its a surprise is that when I first saw it at E3 as P-100 I thought it didnt look all that, and was iffy on the game up until the demo and loved it, which is why I dont understand people who dont like the demo and say they didnt get it.

Next year should be big for me with WiiU 4 of my top most wanted WiiU games come out, Watch_Dogs, X, Smash Bros and Bayo 2.

maxcriden

Biggest surprise is the Wonderful 101 and I dont even have the game yet just played the demo, I ordered it from best buy so it should be here this week.

Reason its a surprise is that when I first saw it at E3 as P-100 I thought it didnt look all that, and was iffy on the game up until the demo and loved it, which is why I dont understand people who dont like the demo and say they didnt get it.

Next year should be big for me with WiiU 4 of my top most wanted WiiU games come out, Watch_Dogs, X, Smash Bros and Bayo 2.

Those are the four games I have no interest in. ;) They're just all genres I don't usually play. I used to be super into Smash Bros. but I lost interest in it after Melee. I'm glad people will be enjoying them, though. X does look quite cool, maybe I'll give Xenoblade a shot at some point. I'm usually not one for JRPGs, though, except Mario RPGs.

Id say wonderful 101 exceeded my expectations. Other surprises as to how much I enjoyed them where toki tori 2, lego cities and zombi u.

The wii u had given me so much more enjoyment so far than the wii is not even funny. It really sucks is not selling more tbh.

to me zombiu and w101

So much love for W101! I wish I could have gotten into the game but I played the demo and it really isn't for me. In a way it's probably my biggest disappointment Wii U game this year because I expected it to be a lot more my speed than it was. I am glad people loved it, though.

Pikmin 3. It was my first Pikmin game and I'm really surprised about how much I liked it.

This is my answer too. I think! There are a lot of great choices...I was only mildly interested in Pikmin 3, though. I'd tried the first one once or twice but never got into it. I'm almost done with the campaign in Pikmin 3, though, and I really love it. It's an amazing game and it controls so well with Wiimote+ and Nunchuk (using Gamepad as a map screen). The graphics, story and just overall atmosphere and gameplay really blew me away. I'm definitely planning to check out the first two games now (the Wii versions).

I just got LCU last week and we've only played the intro so far. It seems like it's going to be a lot of fun, and very funny. Maybe we'll pop it in tonight and play it a bit more. It's been a bit of a gaming deluge at the moment though between 3DW, Ivy the Kiwi? (picked it up for $10 new today at Big Lots!), Super Paper Mario, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kung Fu Rabbit, LCU, Toki Tori...so much to play! I was concerned about not having enough to play with the Tropical Freeze delay but now I feel like that was a very unwarranted concern....

I love NL and like you I was really surprised by just how great it is. The music is amazing too, I love using the jukebox in the plaza. The pachinko game is inspired. All of the minigames are awesome, I really like Pikmin, Metroid and DK a ton. Still haven't made it past Area 9 of DK though!

You know it's been almost 5 weeks since the last Direct, and it was 6 weeks between the October Direct and the November Direct, we could have one as early as the 18th!

Draconian

Dunno if this is the right thread, but one thing that has made the Wii U worth it to me is its backwards compatability. I never had a Wii, or as a matter of fact any Nintendo home console since the NES (yes, weird I know). Getting a Wii U has essentially let me catch up on most of the Nintendo stuff I've missed thanks to the Wii's VC as well as all the Wii Galaxy and Zelda games I'm going to play. Even looking at Mario and Zelda alone, that's a bunch of games that I've never played, but am looking forward to like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. Anyway, it feels very good to own a Nintendo home console. Their approach of prioritizing gameplay above all else is refreshing in today's industry. Anyway, when the Wii U was $350, I said I would wait until it hit $300, and then purchase one. Once the price drop hit, I got the Zelda bundle the day it came out and have been having a blast!

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles right now and having a blast. The game is about everything I want out of a JRPG right now, and I'm really happy that Nintendo owns Monolith Soft as they appear to be a quality studio judging from this title. X looks awesome and I can't wait to see more (maybe in the January Nintendo Direct!).

Dunno if this is the right thread, but one thing that has made the Wii U worth it to me is its backwards compatability. I never had a Wii, or as a matter of fact any Nintendo home console since the NES (yes, weird I know). Getting a Wii U has essentially let me catch up on most of the Nintendo stuff I've missed thanks to the Wii's VC as well as all the Wii Galaxy and Zelda games I'm going to play. Even looking at Mario and Zelda alone, that's a bunch of games that I've never played, but am looking forward to like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. Anyway, it feels very good to own a Nintendo home console. Their approach of prioritizing gameplay above all else is refreshing in today's industry. Anyway, when the Wii U was $350, I said I would wait until it hit $300, and then purchase one. Once the price drop hit, I got the Zelda bundle the day it came out and have been having a blast!

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles right now and having a blast. The game is about everything I want out of a JRPG right now, and I'm really happy that Nintendo owns Monolith Soft as they appear to be a quality studio judging from this title. X looks awesome and I can't wait to see more (maybe in the January Nintendo Direct!).

Welcome aboard! And great post! :D

cluderi

Lego City Undercover for sure. Was suprised to see how close they got to an open world Lego GTA game and the writing made me crack up a few times. I'm still hoping Telltale get around to another but sadly I don't know if its sold enough.

PhantomR

Banned
Gonna have to agree that NintendoLand was my biggest surprise. That is such a great collection of games and is just awesome. I think it's a crime that Nintendo didn't release any DLC for that, tbh. I would've snatched that shit up real quick.

XMast3r

Banned
Nintendo will likely do another Direct this week or next to drive up some last minute hype for the holidays.

"An extended look at Cranky Kong"

Zalman

I have yet to play The Wonderful 101 so I have to say Pikmin. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Also, I know a lot of people say that Nintendo hasn't put out a game that shows why we need the GamePad and I kind of see where they're coming from, but when playing Pikmin 3 I really started to "get" it. I played it with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but having the GamePad beside me and being able to pin-point where I want my characters to go was an amazing experience.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looking back over the past year-ish since launch, what Wii U game was the biggest surprise for you?

Lego City Undercover. Nintendo Land is also close. But LCU was my GOWU before Pikmin 3 was launched. A well done open world, a wonderful story and great and funny dialogues, the movie references and the epic ending.

DrWong

I don't know where to post it and I don't think it deserves a thread. If someone is interested there's an interview of Bernd Fakesch, German Nintendo General Manager, where he hints a spring window release for Super Smash Bros., alongside MK8.

Für nächstes Frühjahr sind außerdem mit Mario Kart8 und Super Smash Bros. zwei weitere große Lizenzspiele für unsere TV-Konsole angekündigt.

Rough tranlsation:
For next spring two more big license games are also announced for our TV console with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think there are enough signs to sugest that SSB 4 will be launched in spring. And it would make a lot of sense to do that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I agree. Nintendo needs momentum, and a one-two punch of Kart and Smash will do that.

If this won't happen it will be because they don't have a big release for holidays. But I think they have. I bet on Animal Crossing Plaza as a preparation for that. And SSB is not exactly a holiday game, it will probably sell quite the same no matter when it's launched.

Tenki

The Wonderful 101. I knew it was going to be good, but not that good. If 3D World wasn't released, TW101 would be my GOTY.

Roo

I don't know where to post it and I don't think it deserves a thread. If someone is interested there's an interview of Bernd Fakesch, German Nintendo General Manager, where he hints a spring window release for Super Smash Bros., alongside MK8.

Rough tranlsation:

Oh please be true. Please be true.
2008 all over again <333
Can't wait to play some good Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Kacho

Gold Member

Rough tranlsation:

Great news. I was expecting as much at this point.

2014 will be a great year for the Wii U, I think. Steady slew of games spread throughout the whole year. Pumped.

cacildo

Nintendo will likely do another Direct this week or next to drive up some last minute hype for the holidays.

"An extended look at Cranky Kong"

Nintendo really has this thing... they talk on and on and on about games we already know everything that is needed to know about

its fucking annoying

maxcriden

Gonna have to agree that NintendoLand was my biggest surprise. That is such a great collection of games and is just awesome. I think it's a crime that Nintendo didn't release any DLC for that, tbh. I would've snatched that shit up real quick.

Agreed. I'd still love to see some DLC for it, both new stages for existing attractions and new games based on other properties.

Draconian

I think there are enough signs to sugest that SSB 4 will be launched in spring. And it would make a lot of sense to do that.

What signs are those? We haven't even seen a trailer since E3. Are you basing this purely off of Sakurai showing screens every day? I wouldn't read too much into it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What signs are those? We haven't even seen a trailer since E3. Are you basing this purely off of Sakurai showing screens every day? I wouldn't read too much into it.

Did you read the post above mine?

There are also some stores having an April release date (changed recently, like in the past 1-2 months).

Also the Wii release had a similar pattern with MK Wii and SSB Brawl launching one month away.

Of course, there is nothing confirmed until now, although this declaration from the General Manager at Nintendo Europe is kind of a confirmation.

Nintendo really has this thing... they talk on and on and on about games we already know everything that is needed to know about

its fucking annoying

Yet at the same time, people complain that they don't talk about upcoming games enough until 2 months before release...

Draconian

Did you read the post above mine?

There are also some stores having an April release date (changed recently, like in the past 1-2 months).

Also the Wii release had a similar pattern with MK Wii and SSB Brawl launching one month away.

Of course, there is nothing confirmed until now, although this declaration from the General Manager at Nintendo Europe is kind of a confirmation.

I'm skeptical of anything until Nintendo actually announces things. I feel we would've seen more of the game (in terms of characters and videos) if it were that close, but we'll see.

Top Bottom