• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Yeah man, one of the things I'm most disappointed in with this game is the design of the Lost. Like you said, in the first game we had so many different haunted. Ones with barbed wire on their heads, punji stakes, clown masks, cultist robes, city garb, body armor, weird freaky skin tight masks (the ones that just show up in the mannequin factory). And several variants for each kind.

These ones all look largely the same and it's not a particularly freak design. They also don't sound very scary imo.

There are only like 5 or 6 different zombies variants in total, and they all have the same ''style'', it's probably one of the reason why TEW2 feels so TLoU to me.

At least this game seems to have more enemy variety in general to help make up for that though.

I disagree, there're actually way more different enemies and bosses in TEW1, if you really think about it.

I disagree, there're actually way more different enemies and bosses in TEW1, if you really think about it.

Not counting bosses, off the top of my head TEW’s only non-haunted standard enemies were the invisible guys, the two headed guys, and the huge hook dudes. I’m only on chapter 6 of TEW2 but there’s already
the knife wielding chick, the crying gas lady, and the crawling enemies
and all have been used a lot more frequently than the non-haunted enemies in TEW.

TEW did have a lot of boss creatures though, so maybe in that regard it outdoes TEW2 since I’ve only fought 2 bosses thus far.

Roussow

On my second playthrough on Nightmare. Sitting at Chapter 7, just reached Sykes. I have 400 gunpowder, 30K green gel, corner kill and predator are the main skills invested in. Boy you can just stock up, huh? Like my first playthrough, I'll probably just save until slow-mo and then pump stamina abilites, maybe recoil / weapon sway. I've got the stealth-kill smoke upgrade again, continues to feel ridiculous, but good ridiculous, not as awkward and sorta janky as the first game's Flashbolt.

By the way, if you have difficulty using predator, turn on the center-dot in the HUD options, it's got more distance than you might think.

I kind of wish there was some better difficulty remixing in Nightmare -- Or a higher difficulty that didn't have the
save restrictions
of classic mode. Say like removing coffee machines, increased crafting costs, or just fewer recources in the environment. I'm at 30 herbs, and I don't see myself crafting a syringe, like ever.

I still really love the game of course, but after playing Madhouse in RE7, I can see room for that level of difficulty here. Maybe higher inventory restrictions would do it, that's where like half the difficulty comes in RE7. Actually, I think if you couldn't just easily stealth kill every enemy that would do it.

Edit: Curious to hear from anyone who went back to the first game after finishing this one, and to hear how it compares. I want to do it myself, but I only played it a few months ago, falling off around chapter 11 (?) with the city chapters.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm just over 3 hours in and I'm enjoying it more and more, I took an instant liking to this one whereas this was the point I gave up on the first one. I might have to revisit it at some point though, is TEW2 massively improved over the first game or did I just not feel it at the time? I just find it really fun to play right now, killing shit is a blast and I'm getting The Last of Us vibes which is a good thing. I'm having to play it at 900p and it's still not stable but other than that I can't complain about much (actually the annoying stamina meter, but I'm pumping all my goo into that first).

Verecocha

Neo Member
Finished at just under 20 hours, took my time exploring and looting. Loved it, wish it was twice as long. Will trade now for Mordor as this will drop in value quick. Repurchase in a couple of months to go through again on harder difficulties. Absolutely loved it.

kromeo

Well I'm just over 3 hours in and I'm enjoying it more and more, I took an instant liking to this one whereas this was the point I gave up on the first one. I might have to revisit it at some point though, is TEW2 massively improved over the first game or did I just not feel it at the time? I just find it really fun to play right now, killing shit is a blast and I'm getting The Last of Us vibes which is a good thing. I'm having to play it at 900p and it's still not stable but other than that I can't complain about much (actually the annoying stamina meter, but I'm pumping all my goo into that first).

Depends, I thought the last of us was one of the most boring games I've played and comparisons were worrying me beforehand but I like this a lot more. It's not what i wanted from a sequel to the first game, which I loved, but it's a good game on it's own merits

Voliko

rented it yesterday and got to chapter 3. walked into a house which i was directed to go to and then i was able to fast travel to somewhere else and before i knew it i was on a side mission. I realised this is no longer the evil within and just some generic open world game that really didnt need to be made. Also why does this game need optional dialogue.Turned it off and sent it back.
That literally happens like once

Izcarielo

Banned
is Chapter 3 probably the longest chapter???

it took me like 3 nights to scavenge and get all loot, kill every enemy, get every collectable and finish all tasks at hand.

beginning chapter 4, clock said I had been playing for 10 hours...

you guys saying this game is 15~20 hours long must be running straight to the final boss.

20 hours clocked and I already beat it twice and I got more than 80% achievements.

Izcarielo

Banned
So I checked Steamspy after a week and the it's at 73k which is terrible for AAA game. This is probably the first I ever liked a franchise so much and know it got canned for terrible sales.

I would be less bitter if we got a budget AA DLC. Hopefully it's pretty far in development so it won't get canceled ;p

If that makes you feel better, Dishonored 2 sold very bad but it still got an excelent DLC, so there's still hope for TEW2 DLC

myco666

God I love brass knuckles. Everything just dies. Also Survival is ridiculous with the amount of weapon parts it throws at you. Glad I played this on Nightmare first.

There was Leslie appearing outside the stem and Sebastian hearing the noise again at the end of 1, unless they were covered in the second DLC..

I just hope we get Joseph DLC for 2, I assume he was put in stem somewhere by Kidman

While it is not stated outright I think it is widely accepted that it was actually Ruvik instead of Leslie who was walking away. Also it doesn't need to be answered since it works much better as something left for players own interpretation.

Chapter 3 enemy spoilers

To deal with the
crawling assholes
, best way I've seen is using the shotgun?

And those
tall things that spit acid at you and sap your stamina
, what's the best way to kill those things? I've encountered one and wasted a bunch of ammo on it.

Intel_89

From Chapter 10 onward is there another open world'ish section or am I stuck on linear paths until the end of the game? No spoilers please, thanks.

myco666

Chapter 3 enemy spoilers

To deal with the
crawling assholes
, best way I've seen is using the shotgun?

And those
tall things that spit acid at you and sap your stamina
, what's the best way to kill those things? I've encountered one and wasted a bunch of ammo on it.

For the first you could also use shock bolt and then just use whatever weapon you see fit.

For the second you can OHK them with unupgraded sniper shot to head. I think you can do a sneak kill on them too but not sure.

From Chapter 10 onward is there another open world'ish section or am I stuck on linear paths until the end of the game? No spoilers please, thanks.

There is one open area left.

Guys, are you taking your time with this game? I'm on chapter 9 and logged 12 1/2 hours. I'm watching some youtubers miss the sniper rifle and the long bore shotgun and some of the
ghost woman encounters
. Please don't run through the game. There is so much to do and explore.

GavinUK86

Guys, are you taking your time with this game? I'm on chapter 9 and logged 12 1/2 hours. I'm watching some youtubers miss the sniper rifle and the long bore shotgun and some of the
ghost woman encounters
. Please don't run through the game. There is so much to do and explore.

I'm on chapter 13 and Steam says I've logged 18 hours. I'm playing it real slow.

Is me, coming at you with the latest gossip. Chapter 13
flamethrower enemies,
yeah those fuckers. Notice how hard it is to stealth them after the first stab? They autotrack you to stop you from cheesing. However, they're too slow to react to sprinting.
So just sprint up when they're not looking and stab, rinse and repeat for no ammo waste and ez flamethrower and gel. I assume this works for the boss too.

myco666

One thing that really disappointed me in this game was the lack of puzzles. I think there was two or three in the whole game and even those were really easy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is me, coming at you with the latest gossip. Chapter 13
flamethrower enemies,
yeah those fuckers. Notice how hard it is to stealth them after the first stab? They autotrack you to stop you from cheesing. However, they're too slow to react to sprinting.
So just sprint up when they're not looking and stab, rinse and repeat for no ammo waste and ez flamethrower and gel. I assume this works for the boss too.
You could use smoke bolt if you upgraded to level 3. Which makes it much, much easier.

More details about the PRO patch in the "near future"

https://bethesda.net/community/post/698096

Great, "near future" just to get details. I wonder how far off this patch actually is. I'm taking my time with the game but if this patch is still a month+ out I'm gonna be annoyed.

For the first you could also use shock bolt and then just use whatever weapon you see fit.

For the second you can OHK them with unupgraded sniper shot to head. I think you can do a sneak kill on them too but not sure.

Thanks!

Kazuhira

One thing that really disappointed me in this game was the lack of puzzles. I think there was two or three in the whole game and even those were really easy.

Let's be honest,when was the last time a puzzle mentally challenged you? P.T,Re7 demo? and that's a long stretch since it didn't require any logic,it was just nonsensical cryptic stuff.
I gave up on that aspect a long time ago,the peak was sh2 and 3 in terms of challenge imo.
Your complaint is totally valid but i'm just saying this is pretty much a given at this point.

8 hours 20 minutes, chapter 6, and I was wondering if continue or not. It's decent but... there are other games out there that I have pending that could be better than this.

My complaints are

- an atmosphere inferior to the original, where it felt more 'thick',
- an open world element that make it feel like padding (slowly stealthing and backstabbing every zombie, taking every item, returning to the safe house to drink coffee, returning to repeat and do the same, for several hours) and acts against the better parts of the first game, where the tighter, more controlled experience served to highlight the horror. And the open world parts look a bit outdated, which doesn't help.
- Even in the better parts, the game also feels a bit a retread of the first game, there isn't a lot new to experience in this game.
- Really bad writing. I read here and there people excusing them saying it's like B-horror writing and it's supposed to be like that.. .no, just no. The whole premise is hilarious, in fact: (spoilers of the first 15 minutes)
So the game starts and you learn you have a daughter! and 30 seconds later you learn she is dead! ok...? I really didn't have time to assume my parenthood to really feel sorry for her. And then other 30 seconds later you learn she is still alive! Yay? Again, I didn't have enough time to be happy for her sudden resurrection. But she was kidnapped by the evil corp and is the new core of the psychic mind-world of the game.
Really?
7000 million humans out there and the person they take for it happens to be the daughter of the guy who saved the day the previous time? Pfft.
and well, 8 hours in and there is no special subtlety on the plot or teases of a surprising twist. It's just an excuse to have the MC returning to another twisted world as logically he should run away as fast as possible.
The bad guy is another hilarious point, a
super typical serial assassin-artist guy, with good clothes and a penchant for doing ART though killing, capturing the 'beauty' of their victims in their deaths for all eternity.

In summary, "something not quite right" is incredibly appropriate.

So I checked Steamspy after a week and the it's at 73k which is terrible for AAA game. This is probably the first I ever liked a franchise so much and know it got canned for terrible sales.

I would be less bitter if we got a budget AA DLC. Hopefully it's pretty far in development so it won't get canceled ;p

This game might have a few issues but the sales have been very harsh.
It's a solid sequel to a very underrated game which fixes a lot of the issues that players sadly had with the first game. It does not deserve to do this badly and it will be a huge shame if they stopped the franchise now.
I think people will look back on both games in years to come much more fondly and might regret sending the series to die if this is what it looks like.

My complaints are
So the game starts and you learn you have a daughter! and 30 seconds later you learn she is dead! ok...? I really didn't have time to assume my parenthood to really feel sorry for her. And then other 30 seconds later you learn she is still alive! Yay? Again, I didn't have enough time to be happy for her sudden resurrection. But she was kidnapped by the evil corp and is the new core of the psychic mind-world of the game.
Really?
7000 million humans out there and the person they take for it happens to be the daughter of the guy who saved the day the previous time? Pfft.

The previous game told you all about this, but you might not have been picking up documents and reading files.
It's a sequel to the first game in some regards so parts of the story are a continuation.
The dlc also told you about other issues regarding his family and why he is tied into this so i guess it makes more sense if you played the previous game and dlc.

BadWolf

This game might have a few issues but the sales have been very harsh.
It's a solid sequel to a very underrated game which fixes a lot of the issues that players sadly had with the first game. It does not deserve to do this badly and it will be a huge shame if they stopped the franchise now.
I think people will look back on both games in years to come much more fondly and might regret sending the series to die if this is what it looks like.

Will be so freaking pissed if this is the last we see of the series :/

Oh and Kidman should get her own game.

myco666

Let's be honest,when was the last time a puzzle mentally challenged you? P.T,Re7 demo? and that's a long stretch since it didn't require any logic,it was just nonsensical cryptic stuff.
I gave up on that aspect a long time ago,the peak was sh2 and 3 in terms of challenge imo.
Your complaint is totally valid but i'm just saying this is pretty much a given at this point.

Doesn't even need to be challenging. Just give me anything. They have pretty much always been a part of horror games. And why the lack of puzzles is disappointing here is because the DLC Johanas directed actually had bunch of puzzles from what I remember. They weren't challenging but it atleast had a bunch so I expected this to also have atleast some.

Will be so freaking pissed if this is the last we see of the series :/

Oh and Kidman should get her own game.

I was kind of expecting these sales sadly, and i think a few people want it to bomb so they can pick it up for a cheaper price.
We had a thread on here saying the game would bomb before reviews even hit.
One of the first reviews out told people to wait and pick it up when cheaper despite liking the game and saying mostly positive things.
The first game went down in value quickly so people are probably hesitant.
Just like the first game It's had a lot of hate directed towards it, both games are divisive and far from perfect but you would think they are both complete trash given some peoples comments.
It's strange, it think the developers tried their best to please people that didn't really like the first game and in doing so have alienated a few fans of the first game, yet they haven't really grabbed the attention of new players.

Aikidoka

Doesn't even need to be challenging. Just give me anything. They have pretty much always been a part of horror games. And why the lack of puzzles is disappointing here is because the DLC Johanas directed actually had bunch of puzzles from what I remember. They weren't challenging but it atleast had a bunch so I expected this to also have atleast some.

Wasn't it mostly just shine your flashlight to reveal the combination lock and enter? I can't really refer to those as puzzles. Though, that reminds me that the DLC had some fun challenges concerning tricking the enemy and fucking them over that I wish they had brought back and expanded on.

But, really, what's it going to take to bring back puzzle difficulty levels??

myco666

Wasn't it mostly just shine your flashlight to reveal the combination lock and enter? I can't really refer to those as puzzles. Though, that reminds me that the DLC had some fun challenges concerning tricking the enemy and fucking them over that I wish they had brought back and expanded on.

But, really, what's it going to take to bring back puzzle difficulty levels??

It had bunch of Keeper heads wih different types of puzzles and then you had to create right shadows from correct objects which required the correct angle too. It isn't challenging but like I said, it is atleast something.

Voliko

Is there really not separate options for camera and aiming speed? Camera is way too slow but if you increase that then the aiming is way too fast

level1

It's a strange situation, I feel like while it doesn't quite manage to get close to the best moments from the previous game, it's a lot more consistently enjoyable and stretches where I genuinely felt like putting the game down and never touching it again are absent (compared to EW1, where it felt like every other chapter was pushing me away)

Cramoss

Finished it a 20 hours.

I loved exploring everything on the first few chapters, it gave me some of those Silent Hill vibes I've missed since the PS2 days. Game is a really great sequel, fun to play, good story and atmosphere. Not that scary though, but I expected that.

However, I still like the first one more because of its crazyness and gritty, bloody, gory and dirty atmosphere. Besides, each chapter being so different and not knowing what to expect next, helped with the sense of being inside a twisted serial killer's mind.

gryvan

So im playing new game plus on nightmare for the collectibles and stuff and...some of these weapon are like...

WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN I WAS IN CHAPTER XXXX

- Really bad writing. I read here and there people excusing them saying it's like B-horror writing and it's supposed to be like that.. .no, just no. The whole premise is hilarious, in fact: (spoilers of the first 15 minutes)
Really?
and well, 8 hours in and there is no special subtlety on the plot or teases of a surprising twist. It's just an excuse to have the MC returning to another twisted world as logically he should run away as fast as possible.
super typical serial assassin-artist guy, with good clothes and a penchant for doing ART though killing, capturing the 'beauty' of their victims in their deaths for all eternity.

The game relentlessly mocks the silliness and all the stereotypes. In quite a few points it becomes quite clear that whoever they hired to write this one was gonna use all the nonsense, yes, but they sure af weren't gonna stay silent about it.
Is very evident if you exhaust chat options with the npcs.

Duxxy3

rented it yesterday and got to chapter 3. walked into a house which i was directed to go to and then i was able to fast travel to somewhere else and before i knew it i was on a side mission. I realised this is no longer the evil within and just some generic open world game that really didnt need to be made. Also why does this game need optional dialogue.Turned it off and sent it back.

Have to admit that I almost did this. I absolutely hate dialog trees. But I really loved the first game, so I pushed through. There's so many western elements to the game that it bothers me a bit. The optional dialog was one of them. Don't know why anybody thought that should have been put in the game.

rtcn63

The game relentlessly mocks the silliness and all the stereotypes. In quite a few points it becomes quite clear that whoever they hired to write this one was gonna use all the nonsense, yes, but they sure af weren't gonna stay silent about it.
Is very evident if you exhaust chat options with the npcs.

No, the game takes itself more seriously than not. The writer may have had a few self-aware jabs, but if you go back and rewatch the cutscenes, the story is mostly played straight. This isn't close to say RE4 levels of parody.

BadWolf

I was kind of expecting these sales sadly, and i think a few people want it to bomb so they can pick it up for a cheaper price.
We had a thread on here saying the game would bomb before reviews even hit.
One of the first reviews out told people to wait and pick it up when cheaper despite liking the game and saying mostly positive things.
The first game went down in value quickly so people are probably hesitant.
Just like the first game It's had a lot of hate directed towards it, both games are divisive and far from perfect but you would think they are both complete trash given some peoples comments.
It's strange, it think the developers tried their best to please people that didn't really like the first game and in doing so have alienated a few fans of the first game, yet they haven't really grabbed the attention of new players.

That's really sad to hear, guess it was a good thing that I went on complete media blackout till I finished the game.

Liking the game and then telling people to not buy, smh.

psychotron

No, the game takes itself more seriously than not. The writer may have had a few self-aware jabs, but if you go back and rewatch the cutscenes, the story is mostly played straight. This isn't close to say RE4 levels of parody.

I disagree. Sebastian mocks basically everything that people say. I'm seeing deliberate cheese everywhere.

Played around 3 hours, in Nightmare, making my way in Chapter 3. Honestly, I love the game, but I can understand how some people (specially hardcore fans of the first game) don't like it. Its a bit different in a lot of aspects, gameplay, atmosphere and tone, etc.. I think another poster compared it to the jump between Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 2, I remember that SH2 had a polarised reception.

BadWolf

I disagree. Sebastian mocks basically everything that people say. I'm seeing deliberate cheese everywhere.

Definitely.

Played around 3 hours, in Nightmare, making my way in Chapter 3. Honestly, I love the game, but I can understand how some people (specially hardcore fans of the first game) don't like it. Its a bit different in a lot of aspects, gameplay, atmosphere and tone, etc.. I think another poster compared it to the jump between Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 2, I remember that SH2 had a polarised reception.

Guess it's the same as MGS2, people freaked out back then but it's mostly at masterpiece status now.

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time but I have my doubts that a lot of the humor in that was intentional. The corny jokes like "You
'
r
e
Right Hand comes off?" were for laughs, sure, but the batshit insane stuff Leon does? I think most of it was intended to be unironically cool when in reality it's just hysterical.

That isn't a negative, mind you. The dumb shit characters do in Resident Evil titles is one of my favorite aspects of them and was one of the things I was most disappointed with in 7.

GavinUK86

8 hours 20 minutes, chapter 6, and I was wondering if continue or not. It's decent but... there are other games out there that I have pending that could be better than this.

My complaints are

- an atmosphere inferior to the original, where it felt more 'thick',
- an open world element that make it feel like padding (slowly stealthing and backstabbing every zombie, taking every item, returning to the safe house to drink coffee, returning to repeat and do the same, for several hours) and acts against the better parts of the first game, where the tighter, more controlled experience served to highlight the horror. And the open world parts look a bit outdated, which doesn't help.
- Even in the better parts, the game also feels a bit a retread of the first game, there isn't a lot new to experience in this game.
Really?

You've obviously played the first game so your point about the writing is moot.
You already knew there was a daughter, and wife. You already knew she was "dead". It's also known early on in the game WHY she is the new core. None of it was random. Were you even paying attention?

It's also explained why Stefano is the way he is, again, if you pay attention. More is explained if you read about him.

I'm not going to say TEW2 has the best writing I've ever witnessed in a video game, but it's far from the worst and most of your points is more telling about you as a player than the game.

rtcn63

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time but I have my doubts that a lot of the humor in that was intentional. The corny jokes like "You
'
r
e
Right Hand comes off?" were for laughs, sure, but the batshit insane stuff Leon does? I think most of it was intended to be unironically cool when in reality it's just hysterical.

That isn't a negative, mind you. The dumb shit characters do in Resident Evil titles is one of my favorite aspects of them and was one of the things I was most disappointed with in 7.

The entire game is self-aware. You're saving the president's daughter.... and yet you don't seem in a particular hurry. Luis is less scientist and more male model. The bosses are these stereotypical horror villains. You throw a knife into Salazar's hand as he's giving a speech. Ashley cheekily offers to bed Leon at the end. Ada, Krauser, Saddler. It's a sci-fi horror b-movie through and through.

Contrast it with RE6, which is significantly more over-the-top, but takes itself much more seriously.

Top Bottom