• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ads as trophy pictures? Whats your take on that.

Just saw this tweet. Apparently WWE2k18 is using ads as trophy pictures:

DLcgPCYXkAANoTQ.jpg

https://twitter.com/TheTrophyTrust/status/916236499632390144

Strings

This is the tackiest thing I have ever seen.

So it fits right in with the general WWE aesthetic.

Rellik

It's nothing new. They did it last year and I remember getting achievements on the 360 that had ads on them. I'd have to go back and look but I'm certain I got a Burger King achievement

Floody

That's kinda genius. Besides it being tacky as fuck, It doesn't bother me that much.
Though as always it'll just be a first step, soon we'll probably have ads in loading screen if this catches on.

xrnzaaas

I actually had to look it up on psnprofiles because I didn't believe it was true. :O I would expect that from some small dev needing the extra cash, but even then it would be disgusting.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I guess it's where do you draw the line. Accept this and next year you could start having adverts on the main menu.

Publishers will keep trying these things seeing how hard they can push before consumers push back. I think loot boxes/microtransactions have shown largely players that care are in the minority, I think that breaking point in terms of the mass market is still a while away.

This post was brought to you by KFC, enjoy a family bucket today £££.

Majukun

everything that gives stuff to the buplishers without giving anything back to the audience it's a shitty practice and i hate it.

everything that gives stuff to the buplishers without giving anything back to the audience it's a shitty practice and i hate it.

Remember when EA said in the early 00s that ads in games will lower the prices of games?

Then somehow BF2142 was costing the same...

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If I remeber right, Final Fantasy XV has a cupnoodles one. I remember a official ad thou.

kAmui-

I just love the idea that somewhere there are contracts that say "our brand must be included in the achievement/trophy pictures".

mao2

Personally, I don't have a problem with this as long as it doesn't feel forced or overdone. In fact, I actually thought it was amazing the first time i saw product placement in games such as KFC and Pizza Hut stores in Crazy Taxi and Pepsi ads and Pepsiman in Fighting Vipers years ago.

Top Bottom