• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

I really like all the saturady morning streams. That's an awesome addition! But I want to promote Space Engine once more and show just how beautiful space can be. This is a star viewed from inside the atmosphere of a gas giant.

HbETm.jpg

Countdown to tears...

Noaloha

I really like all the saturady morning streams.

The Idle Saturday Shows (they need an official name and I'm no good at this) have, no exaggeration, been the highlight of my internet consumption this year. NTOTY2012 (new thing) so far. They've been consistently refreshing in their variety; just fun, engaging viewing.

FStop7

Banned
God... I actually have no idea where to start. I want to say they're like two sides of the same coin or something equally asinine, but that wouldn't actually help you in any way.

Idle Thumbs has a lot of detailed deconstruction of the player's experience and how those experiences relate to life, literature, etc.

Giant Bomb doesn't deconstruct so much as they compare games vs. other games.

Shaneus

Idle Thumbs has a lot of detailed deconstruction of the player's experience and how those experiences relate to life, literature, etc.

Yeah, that's the impression I've got, too. As someone who's able to rapidly go off on tangents that often seem unrelated (to the layman, anyway) on a number of different topics, it suits me perfectly that there are others who think in a similar manner when it comes to (video) games. Which is why the lovefest for Far Cry 2 really doesn't bother me (despite STILL having not played it yet... it's still in my Steam list at zero hours :( ), because it's backed up with fascinating stuff such as how it affects the player, not just how it does things. That story Sean told at... some convention or other... was amazing.

Ledsen

That's a great way to put it, I know what the difference is but couldn't put it into words.

gabbo

I think the ship has already sailed on this, but I really wish the new episodes had an 'epoch 3' intro

They only recently decided to renumber/name the episodes, I think they could slip a new intro in sometime in the next few eps without it seeming weird. That said: Idle Thumbs: Remo Dubstep appeals to me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think that Chris Remo might be the goofiest individual on the planet. In every way imaginable. From finding toe socks "loathsome" to that old weird picture of him on like a staircase, and now I see him punching himself in the face in .gifs everywhere and then I have this like perfect audio sample of him just making weird "ahoghadhfghghgo" exasperated groaning noises from somewhere. I'm just saying.

demidar

When I first saw Chris in that quick look I was surprised by how much smaller and cleaner he was compared to what I thought he looked like. Or it might be him standing next to giants I dunno.

Larsen B

I think that Chris Remo might be the goofiest individual on the planet. In every way imaginable. From finding toe socks "loathsome" to that old weird picture of him on like a staircase, and now I see him punching himself in the face in .gifs everywhere and then I have this like perfect audio sample of him just making weird "ahoghadhfghghgo" exasperated groaning noises from somewhere. I'm just saying.

Toe-defining feet apparel are pretty gross though.

colinp

Banned
Toe-defining feet apparel are pretty gross though.

So true! But this reminded me of something I saw in a catalog on a bullet train earlier this month. I laughed hysterically and thought of the Thumbs.

scarytoes.jpg

I am sure I would fall to the ground crying if I ever saw these in real life. Also, they cost over $160!

Alas, less scary toe-defining foot apparel is pretty common in Japan. More so than in the States anyway.

Sneds

So true! But this reminded me of something I saw in a catalog on a bullet train earlier this month. I laughed hysterically and thought of the Thumbs.

I am sure I would fall to the ground crying if I ever saw these in real life. Also, they cost over $160!

Alas, less scary toe-defining foot apparel is pretty common in Japan. More so than in the States anyway.

They look like Jake's feet!

Big+Bird+Dancing.jpg

dLMN8R

haters gonna hate, my vibrams are amazing for running!

(would never wear them anywhere else though. And they need to be washed. A lot. They get gross.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
haha that big bird costume has toe shoes

Sneds

I just finished watching all of the DayZ feed. I would highly recommend that people check it out - whether you're familiar with the game or not. It really showcases the strength of the mod. It's was a rollercoaster play session and I get the impression that's not unusual with DayZ.

When I first saw Chris in that quick look I was surprised by how much smaller and cleaner he was compared to what I thought he looked like.

I have to say, the Idle Thumbs are a good-looking bunch.

Okay, I didn't have to say that I just wanted to.

Gomu Gomu

Man, every single episode since the relaunch was amazing. Definitely worth the pledge. I just hope you enjoy making them as much as I enjoy listening to them.

Yeah that's closer to how I feel. Idle Thumbs seem to be interested in a wider variety of cultural experiences, film, literature. Giant Bomb have an advantage when it comes to technical stuff, hdmi outputs or whatever.

Idle Thumbs, and this is the biggest thing for me, know how games are actually made (because they all actually make games), and use this to inform their discussions of games.

GB, or at least one or two of them, suffer so badly from some kind of ironic detachment that it makes it difficult for me to put up with for very long.

They both provide an excellent service, and a great body o' work. The persona 4 endurance run alone will always keep GB in a special place in my heart. But for me Idle Thumbs is head and shoulders above all other casts.

I heard that the giant bomb guys went and took some improv lessons to help ameliorate their podcast. As a bit of an Improv dabbler myself I was happy to hear this. Improv is one of the best games there is, when done right!

I'm sure Idle Thumbs takes the improv phrase, "Yes, and, not only that but" to heart, even unknowingly. Without it, half the memes from the show wouldn't exist. Horsebag, Goldblum, etc.

randomwab

I'm sure Idle Thumbs takes the improv phrase, "Yes, and, not only that but" to heart, even unknowingly. Without it, half the memes from the show wouldn't exist. Horsebag, Goldblum, etc.

Listen, Big Rig...let me take you to the theatre...

Loved Sean's DayZ encounter with the helicopter. And I have no idea what Chris is holding out on about the post-stream revelation but god damn it I want to know.

I was listening to one of the casts from a few weeks ago where Chris was talking about Diablo 1 and 2, and thought that I should probably play those games now. Turns out Diablo 1 isn't sold by Blizzard anymore. Weird.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah that's closer to how I feel. Idle Thumbs seem to be interested in a wider variety of cultural experiences, film, literature. Giant Bomb have an advantage when it comes to technical stuff, hdmi outputs or whatever.

Idle Thumbs, and this is the biggest thing for me, know how games are actually made (because they all actually make games), and use this to inform their discussions of games.

GB, or at least one or two of them, suffer so badly from some kind of ironic detachment that it makes it difficult for me to put up with for very long.

They both provide an excellent service, and a great body o' work. The persona 4 endurance run alone will always keep GB in a special place in my heart. But for me Idle Thumbs is head and shoulders above all other casts.

I heard that the giant bomb guys went and took some improv lessons to help ameliorate their podcast. As a bit of an Improv dabbler myself I was happy to hear this. Improv is one of the best games there is, when done right!

I think the two groups complement each other well, the GDC Bombcast that Chris and Jake (I think it was Jake) appeared on was very good.

It's interesting how there are two games that have kind of come to represent each site. Saints Row the Third and Far Cry 2. I think they're very apt choices.

I didn't know of Jeff until 8.8-gate or Ryan/Brad/Vinny until they joined Giant Bomb. But going back and watching old Hotspot clips makes me think they probably have done improv stuff for a while.

Anyhoo - NO YOU HANG UP

Empty

i wish they'd hurry up with the site just so we can get the bookcast. i was almost as excited about that as i was about the main podcast returning.

bdouble

Thanks for watching, guys. That was one of the craziest game experiences I've ever had.

No that was one of the craziest game experiences I've ever had.

Knowing next to nothing about DayZ except it was a mod, zombie, persistent, and pvp this was my first exposure to the game.

Holy shit was it entertaining. I won't have a gaming PC till after the standalone but I am anxiously waiting. These types of games are what its all about.

Just caught up on the dayz stream and wow, that was something else. I have seen video of it before but actually being able to watch a whole experience took it to a different level.

I can't get over how there seems to be a thin fabric of society that people adhere to. Depending on which side of the moral fence you sit on results in a completely different style of game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What about the future book club?
That should probably have one megathread in OT for each book. Like how we do tv season threads.

I also really think Rez is right, this should be idle thumbs |OT| and we should do weekly cast threads.

Top Bottom