• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Scaling Chip Improvements in February Update (No more sharpening filter!)

People are cheering in the main update thread, the sharpening filter for sub-1080p titles is now gone!!! I want this thread to be filled with unsharpened screenshots to celebrate!

I can confirm: SHARPENING FILTER IS GONE.

Everything is noticeably softer.

They weren't lying about the special surprise, thank goodness the sharpening filter is gone!

Have they mentioned when they will update xbox music to run in the background?

Yes, now there is no sharpen filter, and the game's antialiasing is visible :)

I'll try to do some screens.

BTW, the update took 15 minutes at 350-400 kb/s, so I'll say it's near 250 MB as I download 1 GB per hour.

Close-up example to show off the difference!

ifLeWyucvBofX.png

This is going on for basically every high-contrast edge in the image, and there are interior detail differences.

Comparison shots of Titanfall by nbnt!
Made a comparison for Titanfall beta, not exactly the same frames but you can easily see the difference. First before/second after:
12534614433_7d2b73290a_o.png

12536230995_b07a7f98a0_o.png

12534624823_0e06e53ea4_o.png

12536241265_2fa8d18722_o.png

12534619683_5f72ebbf7a_o.png

12536235635_6ba163a5f9_o.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, I still don't know what that means. I'm going to give the three exclusives a go asap and take a look see.

I asked in other thread but does this affect how we set out tv display settings?

You can't look at the exclusives. Ryse didn't use the hardware scaler, Forza is 1080p. Well, you could look at DR3.

Well this is for the best

Oh, absolutely. Just, like, the images are still upscaled from low resolutions. They just look less...."enhanced" now.

Zeppeli

Banned
Fuck, I am so tempted to buy an Xbox One, and I'm not really sure why. I want my Halo, Sunset Overdrive, etc...

I really have to hold out for that $399.99 model, or it'll be the death of me.

This is the best I can do with my Elgato. I'm not really a 'screenshotter'.

There would be a lot of artifacts on the foliage with the sharpening filter on, now that it is no longer in existence it looks a lot smoother.

ghostsscreenshot2014-2obrp.png

EDIT: Just to be clear here, the blacks look a bit crushed in the screenshot but they are not on my screen. I blame my capture solution.

smurfx

get some go again
i want to see battlefield comparisons. remember that some people preferred the over sharpened look over the ps4 version.

TaKeRx

I compared COD Ghosts back to back and it's definitely a very needed improvement.

Now I need the 2nd xbox to start updating itself ;p

Etnos

Banned
I'm downloading today's patch as I type this, So just to be clear: is this patch we talking about here? or the March one?

Good news either way.

Man, I still don't know what that means. I'm going to give the three exclusives a go asap and take a look see.

I asked in other thread but does this affect how we set out tv display settings?
Games look softer. The picture is not crisp. Not fuzzy mind you, just not sharp. Like running a game a little below native resolution on your PC screen. Edges of things appear softened.This is good and bad of course, but it is an objective improvement over what it looked like before now. No more dramatic jaggies, hideous black crush, or artifacting issues. It will take a little getting used to, but it's an upgrade for sure.

As I said in the other thread, I probably would have preferred something in between completely off and what it was. But this is better than what it was for sure.
Dead Rising 3 with the February Update :

Black levels not fixed.
100% sure? I feel like the backgrounds and models in KI that showed crush on my screen yesterday don't now.

Great news for Xbox One! Now fix the black levels on the Xbox One and the Xbox 360!

EDIT: You're right, it's too late for the Xbox 360 at this point.

Games look softer. The picture is not crisp. Not fuzzy mind you, just not sharp. Like running a game a little below native resolution on your PC screen. Edges of things appear softened.This is good and bad of course, but it is an objective improvement over what it looked like before now. No more dramatic jaggies, hideous black crush, or artifacting issues. It will take a little getting used to, but it's an upgrade for sure.

As I said in the other thread, I probably would have preferred something in between completely off and what it was. But this is better than what it was for sure.

It's easy to make your monitor/tv add a bit of sharpness using the settings for it. :)

Lima

Great news for Xbox One! Now fix the black levels on the Xbox One and the Xbox 360!

They will never fix the gamma output on the 360. Too many games built with that limitation in mind that would look absolutely wrong if they update it on a system level.

Just imagine a game that used to look like super compressed shit with artifacts everywhere now only looking sub-1080p.
Ouch. Always so blunt. Though, looking at the DR3 screenshots it still looks... off... but in a different way than before. People shouldn't expect miracles when it's still the same hardware being worked with.

Amir0x

Banned
Still a little ways to go in the scaler, but these improvements are really coming at a nice clip. At this rate, by the end of 2014 maybe all my complaints about the system's basic set up will be gone.

Top Bottom