• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinobi's blog: tight supply for Wii U in Japan

New thread for new news.

Messages here and here.

NOTE: This is about Japan. Whether or not this has any impact on other markets is pure speculation.

Sinobi said:
昨日の「Direct」で岩田氏がお話していたように「Wii U」について流通向けに説明がありました。某大手サイトに悪用されないよう台数は控えますが、皆さんが想像している以上に少ないです。予約は争奪戦になると思われますので、購入予定の方は相当覚悟しておいて下さい。

「Wii U」はベーシックセット、プレミアムセット、モンハンセットの3種類で発売されますが、ベーシックセットの配分が最も多くなるようです。当BLOGのアンケートでも大半の方がプレミアかモンハン希望でしたから、その2種類を購入予定の方は輪をかけて困難になりそうです。

The retailers' meeting about the Wii U, mentioned with the last Nintendo Direct, has taken place. I'm withholding the number of units so as not to have a negative effect on the big retailers, but they're lower than everyone is expecting. It may become a competition for pre-orders, so be ready if you're planning on buying.

Of the 3 Wii U sets -- Basic, Premium, and Monster Hunter -- the Basic Set allotment will be the most plentiful. Most respondents to this blog's survey wanted the Premium or Monster Hunter sets, so those planning on buying those 2 types may have a tough time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Interesting, though without any reference to how this compares to Wii shipments it is hard to judge how low we are talking exactly.

Drago

Shortages won't be an issue for me... first on the preorder list for the basic unit at my GS. feels good man ;)

Still, if there are real shortages worldwide, that really sucks, especially if the demand is going to be high... lots of inflated systems on eBay, I fear :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, pre-ordered mine, so unless my Gamestop gets less than 10 Deluxe Bundle, I'm good.

There is a reason a lot of companies do staggered launches in different regions. Worldwide launches are really tough, something a huge company like Sony still hasn't pulled off.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I better be able to buy it by next fall, that's all Nintendo.

If you are expecting insane sales, start ramping up production.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
um.... is anyone surprised?

the one part that is interesting is that at Sofmap yesterday they were saying the opposite re: units - they would have few basic sets.

This is good news for people on a budget - hats off.

um.... is anyone surprised?

the one part that is interesting is that at Sofmap yesterday they were saying the opposite re: units - they would have few basic sets.

This is good news for people on a budget - hats off.

But are people on budgets really the early adopters on launch day?

AniHawk

why? didn't nintendo originally plan on a march 2012 release? did they up the specs pretty late in the game or something behind the scenes?

why? didn't nintendo originally plan on a march 2012 release? did they up the specs pretty late in the game or something behind the scenes?

Didn't we hear they were having issues with Gamepad production? I can't wait for the Iwata Asks at the very least. Also Nintendo's manufacturing has probably dramatically slowed since the Wii cratered so ramping back up for a console launch probably took longer than expected.

Due to China foxconn protest?

Didn't we hear they were having issues with Gamepad production? I can't wait for the Iwata Asks at the very least. Also Nintendo's manufacturing has probably dramatically slowed since the Wii cratered so ramping back up for a console launch probably took longer than expected.

Your guess is as good as mine.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You'll be able to walk into any store on launch day and get one

Well in my case yeah.

I pre-ordered it.

Also, is that a new gimmick of yours, saying the opposite of what an article says? Cause I've been seeing that a few times recently.

Aeana

Well in my case yeah.

I pre-ordered it.

Also, is that a new gimmick of yours, saying the opposite of what an article says? Cause I've been seeing that a few times recently.
It's a reference to discussion pre-Wii launch.

Can't wait to hear the inevitable conspiracy theories about Nintendo throttling supply to increase demand. Because, you know, moving less units is the road to true success.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But are people on budgets really the early adopters on launch day?

at 25,000 yen? they might be.

i think that's the point - the start point for the basic set is pretty reasonable so it's a good precedence for the future.

i was expecting there to be a tight number of basic sets - meaning the machine was -really- 32k, but sinobi points to the opposite being true - again... a good sign.

shira

Is the VITA going to be relegated to XBOX360-like lineups?
theyre-opening-a-xbox360-store-in-japan-no-seriously-evilcontrollers.jpg

retailers will probably force people to buy bundles even if that happens.
About this, gamestop recently sent out a email with the Wii U waitlist FAQ. On the bottom in the fine print it says, "Systems may be available only in promotional bundles." The whole FAQ sounds half baked and janky as hell.

Top Bottom