• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

DwhMvJn.png

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a shared fictional universe that is the setting of superhero films independently developed by Marvel Studios, based on characters published in Marvel Comics. The setting is much like the Marvel Universe in comic books. The universe was established by crossing over shared plot elements, settings, cast, and characters.

In 2005, Variety reported that Marvel Studios would start producing its own films and distribute them through Paramount Pictures. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in 2009 initially referred to the shared narrative continuity of these films as the "Marvel Cinema Universe", but later used the term "Marvel Cinematic Universe".

The first group of films, culminating and concluding with The Avengers, is now known as "Phase 1" of the MCU. "Phase 2" has concluded with the release of Ant-Man. We are now entering into "Phase 3", the first film of which will be Captain America: Civil War. At this time it is unknown how many Phases the MCU is planned to have but Kevin Feige has stated they have films planned through 2028 so be sure to check back in to get any updates on this growing Cinematic Universe!

rMUD9D6.png

IyWNyr7.png
IuPN9VE.png

O7MWVmP.png
FdXQo4L.png

CKZi56S.png
qsIZLKg.png

fFg6ZHs.png
cyWx20P.png

RlLan9E.png
fL40iD3.png

rR0nFy3.png
nq9IpNE.png

PXlpHpE.png

sbZwxCn.png

quqxnNq.png

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Release: May 5th, 2017
James Gunn is confirmed to once again write and direct. Gunn has said he wishes to include more female members of the team and expand the roles of those with minor parts in the first film, such as Cosmo. Mantis is confirmed to join the team, played by Pom Klementieff. He has also said the film will be more emotional and introduce Star Lord's father. Kurt Russell has been cast in an unknown role and Sylvester Stallone will also have a cameo of some sort. Kurt Russell will appear as Ego the Living Planet. The 5 guardians from the first film, Neblua, and Yondu will all return.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Release: July 7th, 2017
After an outing in Civil War,Tom Holland will return to play the title role with Jon Watts directing. The film was subtitled "Homecoming" in April 2016. Robert Downey Jr confirmed that Tony Stark will appear. Marisa Tomei plays Aunt May. Michael Keaton will play The Vulture.

Thor: Ragnarok
Release: November 3rd, 2017
Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston will return as Thor and Loki respectively. Jamie Alexander will return as Sif. Idris Elba is also expected to return as Heimdall. Natalie Portman is confirmed to not return as Jane Foster. It is uncertain if Anthony Hopkins will return. Taika Waititi is the film's director. The movie will feature Mark Ruffalo's Hulk and has been described as a cosmic roadtrip. Cate Blanchett will play the antagonist Hela. The cast is rounded out by Jeff Goldblum as The Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge The Executioner.

Black Panther
Release: February 16th, 2018
In January 2011, Marvel Studios hired documentary filmmaker Mark Bailey to write a script for a Black Panther film with Marvel's Kevin Feige producing. In October 2013 Kevin Feige confirmed that Black Panther was in development for the near future. Chadwick Boseman will play the title roll, first appearing in 2016's Captain America: Civil War. Ryan Coogler will direct.

Avengers: Infinity War
Release: May 4th, 2018
In October 2014 it was announced that the third Avengers story would be split into two films. The first will release in May 2018. Thanos will be the primary antagonist, played by Josh Brolin. The Civil War/Winter Soldier writing and directing team is back. Adam Magus is rumoured to appear. The Russos, who are confirmed to direct both films, have since announced that both Infinity War movies will stand alone and thus be re-titled.

Ant-Man and The Wasp
Release: July 6th, 2018
A sequel to the 2015 original, Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly will return as the title characters. Michael Douglas will return as Hank Pym and Peyton Reed will return as the director.

Captain Marvel
Release: March 8th, 2019
Captain Marvel has been confirmed as one of the two films between the two Avengers: Infinity War movies. The character will be Carol Danvers. Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve will write the script. The character is rumoured to first appear in the preceding Avengers movie.

Avengers 4
Release: May 3rd, 2019
The second part of the Infinity War story will release in May 2019.

Spider-Man 2
Release: July 5th, 2019
A sequel to Spider-Man Homecoming has already been announced.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Release: TBD
In April 2016 Kevin Feige confirmed that Guardians 3 would be a phase 4 film. In the past James Gunn has said he'd be game to direct a 3rd Guardians film, but he is not yet confirmed to return to write or direct.

2020 Films
In October 2015 Marvel announced that three more films would be released in 2020, however it is currently unknown what exactly they will be about.

c0la8te.png

Nova
With Marvel going ahead with expanding the Cosmic side of the MCU, Nova is a likely cosmic property to get a film. Richard Rider was in the original draft of Guardians of the Galaxy and the Nova Corps features prominently in the film. Aspects of Nova's backstory already show up in the initial Guardians of the Galaxy movie including Rhomann Dey and Garthan Saal.

Thunderbolts
In promoting Guardians of the Galaxy, James Gunn has expressed interest in making a Thunderbolts movie. He has stated that he has already talked with Kevin Feige about it, although it is unknown how fruitful those talks have been. Currently Gunn will first write and direct the sequel to Guardians, meaning Thunderbolts if it does come is on the back burner. It is potentially even a Phase 4 option. Zemo was introduced in Civil War and is potentially setup for this film as well.

Blade [4]
In August 2014 news broke that Wesley Snipes will be back in the title role for another Blade film, this time produced by Marvel Studios. A new Blade film has yet to be confirmed. If the rumour is true, there is no indication if it would be connected to the prior three films apart from Snipes still starring. There is also no indication that the film would take place in the MCU, although Marvel Studios has yet to produce a film outside of the MCU. In July 2015 Snipes confirmed that he has talked with Marvel both about reprising the character and possibly joining the MCU as someone else. In 2016 a new rumour surfaced that instead of Blade returning to the big screen he would instead join the MCU with a Netflix original series.

Ghost Rider & Moon Knight
Both of these heroes are rumoured to be part of a second phase of Netflix original series along with Blade and The Punisher (whose series has already been confirmed).

vhh1uZH.png

The Incredible Hulk 2
Following the universal praise of the character in The Avengers, Marvel immediately began planning on a new stand alone film starring Mark Ruffalo. In 2012 rumours circulated about Marvel being interested in adapting the story Planet Hulk, although these rumours have since seemingly been debunked. There are not currently any active rumours but The Hulk getting another film. In October 2014 Kevin Feige stated that Hulk would continue to appear in Avengers and other films rather than get his own...for now. There has also been some indication that Hulk's former license agreement with Universal may hold some sort of sway in preventing a film releasing that features "Hulk" in the title, which poses an odd obstacle.

Besides these there's been small talk in the past (even leading to some writers hired) to begin production on movies or television series based around other heroes, including:

- Nighthawk
- Ka-Zar
- Dazzler
- Power Pack

TDLink

fgLhW4z.png

Following Phase 1 Marvel began to expand their Cinematic Universe to television on ABC, a network owned by Disney who is also the parent company to Marvel. Since then Disney has entered into an agreement with Netflix to produce and release 4 shows with renewal possibility that culminate in an 8 episode miniseries.

These shows on ABC and Netflix are in continuity with the Marvel Studios films and part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Characters from the films may appear in the shows and vice versa, although to date these appearances have been rare and minor. It is expected that there will be more crossover among the various shows, as a somewhat sub-universe, especially the Netflix productions.

tanByVX.png

FkAtRS1.png

mtkdICz.png

MTKqTa2.png

A third season has been confirmed.

4k5wDQq.png

A second season has been confirmed but production has yet to start.

dHGucgJ.png

Iron Fist

v4Dk8vA.png

The Defenders
Release: 2017
A television miniseries to be aired on Netflix as the culmination of the Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage TV shows. It is unknown if Doctor Strange will play a part, but the miniseries will release after the Doctor Strange film so it is possible. Charlie Cox has confirmed that production will commence in late 2016.

The Punisher
Release: TBA
A television series to be aired on Netflix at some point in the future. Jon Bernthal plays the title role starting in Season 2 of Daredevil.

Damage Control
A half hour comedy series set in the MCU centered on the people who have to clean up the messes the big name heroes leave. Daily Show and Colbert Report executive producer Ben Karlin is currently shepherding this project, which has been green-lit for a pilot on ABC.

Cloak and Dagger
This romance-focused Marvel show has been greenlit by Freeform straight to series.

The Runaways
A feature film script was penned back in 2007 with sights set on a 2009 release but after the runaway success of Iron Man kicked off the MCU the film was placed on the back burner. During a Q&A in October 2014 for Phase 3, Kevin Feige stated that it is a script they keep coming back to but they can't make them all.

In 2016 a Hulu TV series of The Runaways was announced, penned by Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage.

The Inhumans
After being scrapped as a film, The Inhumans are coming to TV in fall 2017 as an ABC series. The first two episodes will premiere in select cinemas in IMAX.

EpKCKwl.png

Marvel One Shots are a series of direct-to-video short films released by Marvel Studios, set within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The first, titled The Consultant, was released on the Thor Blu-ray on September 13, 2011. A second, titled A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer, was released on the Captain America: The First Avenger Blu-ray on October 25, 2011. Both films star Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson, and offer up self-contained stories about a day in the life of a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

Due to the success of the Coulson one-shots Marvel had stated they plan to release a new short with the home release of each upcoming MCU film. This continued with Item 47, which was released on the home release of The Avengers. Agent Carter followed with Iron Man 3's DVD/Blu-Ray and served as a backdoor pilot for the television series. "All Hail the King", currently the most recent one shot, features Ben Kingsley and was included on the home release of Thor: The Dark World.

The future of one-shots in the MCU is up in the air as the home releases of both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy both did not feature a One Shot. There are also currently no One Shots announced for the home release of Age of Ultron or Ant Man.

The concept of the shorts to continue to explore ideas and characters that may not be able to carry a feature film seems to have been taken over by the MCU shows, although the One Shots have not been officially announced as cancelled to the public.

In an interview in late September 2015, Feige mentioned that the studio thinks about one-shots all of the time and currently have many ideas that could be put towards new installments. When exactly that would happen still remains up in the air, but it's a hopeful sign.

At Comic-Con 2016 an apparent new One Shot starring Chris Hemsworth as Thor having to move in with an average guy named Darryl was screened for the audience. Chances are high this will be released on an upcoming MCU home release.

Credit to SalsaShark for creating the original thread and its content.
Credit to shield and Zero-ELEC for the banner image
All other images in the thread were created by me (TDLink) using officially released material

Akahige

The fact that it's 2 weeks worth rough footage not intended for public release makes it all the more amazing. Can't wait for the official trailer.
that is amazing, hopefully it will make it way to the interwebs in form of an official release very soon, maybe with Thor 2.

Have to say those posters you use for the released films are amazing. Are they fanart or some kind of rare, but official promo art?

TDLink

Have to say those posters you use for the released films are amazing. Are they fanart or some kind of rare, but official promo art?

They are official posters made by Mondo. Mondo does posters for most other blockbuster releases nowadays as well, they are always really cool. Typically they get handed out at midnight releases or special engagements. So yes, rare but official. Unfortunately one was never made for The Incredible Hulk.

TDLink

The OT Marvel deserves. Need to see more Gamora.

Great OT.

Thanks guys but you can really thank SalsaShark, the creator of the original OT for the format (and most of the images). I just updated the info, added blurbs about the upcoming and in development stuff, and changed the posters out. But thank you! I will try to keep it updated as much as possible.

TDLink

Vin Diesel Quotes:

"As an actor, not everything has to be the most obvious choice, and sometimes, the best thing you can do — as far as Steven Spielberg and his advice — is to defy expectations. So if everybody thinks you’re going to go for this one thing and you flip it entirely and go for the strangest Marvel character, it’s interesting. And when something is interesting, it’s inspiring."

"That’s the thing — I’m so busy. The audience wanted Vin and Marvel, Vin and Marvel. But I’m too busy to do a six-month role. So what Marvel came up with was really interesting. … I am watching a social wave influence and in some ways guide their thinking."

tumblr_mrff3fGVZM1rvhl57o2_400.gif

- J - D -

God I am such a nerd for being peeved about how the Iron Man armors on these above posters aren't the ones used in their respective movies. The suit in the IM1 poster is the Mark VI, which doesn't show up until the second movie, and the IM2 poster has the Mark III, which was only in the first movie.

Somehow, the world keeps spinning.

Showaddy

Vin Diesel Quotes:

"That’s the thing — I’m so busy. The audience wanted Vin and Marvel, Vin and Marvel. But I’m too busy to do a six-month role. So what Marvel came up with was really interesting. … I am watching a social wave influence and in some ways guide their thinking."

tumblr_mrff3fGVZM1rvhl57o2_400.gif

Well it seems the audience have got what they wanted then, Vin playing a giant tree with minimal dialogue and an unrecognisable voice :p

Should have called the thread "Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT Phase 2|"

I had the exact same thought when I first saw the thread.
would be nice if a mod would make that change.

and I don't know hardly a thing about GotG, but all this hype off the trailers, and I have to admit they do look pretty damn good, has me hyped for this now too.

I am so glad that Marvel took that Avengers money and decided to go full steam ahead, take some risk and expand their universe while these more obscure titles can ride the backs of the more popular ones by all being connected in some much larger plot.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to apologize in advance when I asked this question.

Why we have OT2 now if OT1 didn't hit 19,500 to 20,000 replies yet?

Back to topic,

I'm surprised that Vin is Groot, but I'm interested to see how Groot would spoke in the movie.

Showaddy

Back to topic,

I'm surprised that Vin is Groot, but I'm interested to see how Groot would spoke in the movie.

Personally I've got a feeling her may have signed up for another role as well. It just seems a bit strange that he went to the effort of going to Marvel HQ for whatever negotiations, posing in front of an Avengers poster, hyping it up on social media and then revealing his role has no more than 3 words and will have zero physical presence...

Soodanim

Gold Member
I can't see them doing movies for Iron Fist & Luke Cage or War Machine. Especially War Machine. His role in IM3 is as much as the character deserves, given that he's Stark's mate in a modified suit. RDJ carries the films, not the suit. I haven't heard of the rest, so I can't comment on them.

God I am such a nerd for being peeved about how the Iron Man armors on these above posters aren't the ones used in their respective movies. The suit in the IM1 poster is the Mark VI, which doesn't show up until the second movie, and the IM2 poster has the Mark III, which was only in the first movie.

Somehow, the world keeps spinning.
If that peeves you, I'm taking a risk by telling you I don't notice a difference in suits, and wouldn't have a clue they changed if they didn't state it.

Anth1888

Alan Taylor has returned with Tom Hiddleston to shoot extra Loki scenes for Thor TDW.

"We're doing full scenes... scenes that were not in the movie before," he told Collider. "We're adding scenes, creating scenes, writing scenes for the first time.

"It was just we realised how well Loki was working in the movie, and we wanted to do more with him."

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It's looking more and more likely Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be playing Quicksilver in Avengers: Age of Ultron:

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/interview-aaron-taylor-johnson-kick-ass-2/

You’re rumoured to be playing Quicksilver in Avengers: Age of Ultron – can you confirm that?
No, it’s not 100% yet, it’s not official. You’ve got to remember that they start filming next year in February or March or something like that so we’re still a long way away. It’s all in discussion and in a friendly way as well, you know, I’ve met with Joss Whedon now twice and we spoke about it a lot and I’ve been with the Marvel guys and they’re fucking awesome dudes, so I am flattered to be asked to be a part of The Avengers, who wouldn’t? But more importantly to me, I have to know if I can convey that character in the right way because that’s what it comes down to. So that’s all for now really, they still have loads of other characters and actors to make sure they can schedule and stuff.

So you’d want to do it?
I’d fucking love to do it.

TDLink

Huh? When was the Doctor Strange movie confirmed?

http://collider.com/doctor-strange-movie-marvel-phase-3/
http://latino-review.com/2013/07/stan-lee-confirms-black-panther-doctor-strange-movies/

Where are you getting that Marvel is doing another Hulk movie, OP?

It isn't confirmed, just rumoured which is why it is where it is in the OP. As I said in the OP they started writing ideas and possibly scripts for it following Avengers. We don't really know the current status of the project. Personally I doubt it is going to happen in Phase 3, but we will see.

Back to topic,

The first topic's OP was not being updated and was wildly out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom