• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War: Combat is still fast, No QTE, spirit of a classic fantasy adventure game

Hydrus

Everything sounds great. Only thing I'm not liking about this game, is the camera angle. I hate when games use that type of view ( Batman Arkam games).

RedFury

Fucking whack, no QTEs?
How will we get awesome threads like the "Help can't beat Zeus, game is glitched"

The Argus

What was the first title to introduce modern QTEs? I wanna say Shenmue as I remember them being a big deal in early EGM/GamePro days.

They never bothered me in the GoW games, always felt they were a nice break from the button mashing stress.

Despera

Banned
Have a good feeling about this game, even if initially I was worried they were going the cinematic route. Combat looks weighty which I like.

btw, watched the trailer with a decent enough sound system and the world serpent's voice was freaky as shit. Loved it!

Well, shit.

QTEs were amazing in the previous GoW games.
From what I gather, he's not saying those moments are gone, but rather that style of QTE is gone. Rather than prompts resulting in canned actions, you're going to react with the same controls as during regular gameplay and have control during those moments. Rather than just mashing circle or waiting for the triangle to pop, you get to press grab and then hit the attack buttons and then jump and so on

Stiler

God of War taking influences from Neverending Story? I am so on board with that, freaking love that movie/book.

Loudninja

From what I gather, he's not saying those moments are gone, but rather that style of QTE is gone. Rather than prompts resulting in canned actions, you're going to react with the same controls as during regular gameplay and have control during those moments. Rather than just mashing circle or waiting for the triangle to pop, you get to press grab and then hit the attack buttons and then jump and so on
Yeah pretty much.

Simo

More stuff from the other topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pNq0FQplE&feature=youtu.be

A mod can change the titel to include some of the details like, NO QTE, and skill trees

Never Ending Story and Labyrinth being inspirations was more to do with world building and how mythical creatures and monsters inhabited the world but actually aided the main character rather than being a threat as you would expect.

Also Atreus is named that because he's the son of Kratos and thus took a Greek name, albeit one that obviously didn't honor the gods, according to Cory.

Loudninja

Hmm I think we need a better title now.
The presentation focused on character relationships; gone are the days of the angry Kratos who spurned aid and used random strangers as door-jams. Kratos' bond with his son expresses itself mechanically as well as narratively. During certain combat sequences, players will actually take control of the son. In one instance, leaping off Kratos' back and switching in order to shoot some arrows to harass enemies. As players progress, they will be able to teach the boy new abilities much like they would Kratos. The whole thing sounds like a smart way to express the father-son, master-student relationship through the game's combat.
Kratos's son will also interact with men and women he and his father come across in their travels. He's a liaison for his father, who doesn't know the language. Barlog compared the scenario to that of his own home life with his bilingual son, who has taken to teaching him Swedish.
Beyond the central relationship of Krato and his son, the game will allow players to befriend allies who will also be able to help out. One of those allies is the dwarf Sindri, who crafted the legendary hammer Mjolnir. He's a weapons merchant, sure, but if you interact with him it'll eventually lead to a reconciliation with his estranged brother Brokkr.
God of War will still have plenty of brutal combat and bloody executions, but the Kratos Barlog described sounded far less like the unlikable brute of past games. When asked if that was a deliberate response to those who criticize Kratos as being a one dimensional character, Barlog disagreed that the changes were quite so dramatically motivated but acknowledged the change. ”Who I was and how I view the world is different now," Barlog said. ”We had initially embraced the concept that Kratos was an anti-hero. You didn't want to root for him. But how interesting would it be to take a person who had fallen and figure out how they will pick themselves back up?"
http://kotaku.com/the-new-god-of-war-might-finally-make-kratos-interestin-1796080869

Simo

Kinda Funny mention the game looks very far along.

Yeah, as I said in the other thread it seems like or at least I'm hoping it could drop between January to March. Especially seeing how Sony and their partners had similar success too in a similar release window this year with RE7 and Horizon.

Another thing from the behind closed doors session was that Cory said there was a lot of push back from the team when discussing the idea of the single camera with no cuts. It wasn't until he screened them John Woo's Hard Boiled and the single cut gunfight near the end that sold everyone on the idea.

Kotaku has a good article too. Mentions the blue dwarf talking to Kratos in the trailer is Sindri. A weapons merchant who also crafted Thor's Mjolnir and your interaction could possibly lead to, a quest line?, reconciliation with his estranged brother Brokkr.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-god-of-war-might-finally-make-kratos-interestin-1796080869

Edit: beaten on Kotaku since the other thread has been the go to and I posted a bunch of stuff and links there. You might wanna check out the official site too for the Leviathan Axe and the Witch in the Woods..

Loudninja

Yeah, as I said in the other thread it seems like or at least I'm hoping it could drop between January to March. Especially seeing how Sony and their partners had similar success too in a similar release window this year with RE7 and Horizon.

Another thing from the behind closed doors session was that Cory said there was a lot of push back from the team when discussing the idea of the single camera with no cuts. It wasn't until he screened them John Woo's Hard Boiled and the single cut gunfight near the end that sold everyone on the idea.

Kotaku has a good article too. Mentions the blue dwarf talking to Kratos in the trailer is Sindri. A weapons merchant who also crafted Thor's Mjolnir and your interaction could possibly lead to, a quest line?, reconciliation with his estranged brother Brokkr.

Edit: beaten on Kotaku since the other thread has been the go to and I posted a bunch of stuff and links there. You might wanna check out the official site too for the Leviathan Axe and the Witch in the Woods..

Sounds good thanks. :)
Hold on a second. Atreus doesn't sound like a Norse name. The Norse have names such as Brokkr, Thor, and Loki. Indeed, Atreus' name is Greek in origin. Cory Barlog told us that Kratos would never name a child of his after any Greek god. The name has special, personal meaning for him. What that meaning is will be revealed in due time, of course. Atreus has only known a very simple life, with nothing to do. He serves as a reminder of Kratos' humanity, seemingly lost to the ages, but perhaps still alive within him.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...r-ps4-preview-playstation-lifestyle/#/slide/1

Monocle

Sounds nothing but great. Barlog did a stellar job with GoW2. I'm so glad he's taking the reigns for this project.

Soodanim

I have 2 thoughts:
  1. This is sounding like one of the reasons I'd get a PS4, if I ever did
  2. I keep reading his name as Balrog

hughesta

Banned
GOW absolutely needed this. Went from a franchise I could hardly stand to a game I can't wait to play. Santa Monica has done a fantastic job.

The mindless story and gameplay of GoW 1-3 was fun when you were 15 but now I find it rather childish. This all sounds like the shake-up the series needed.

Just finished God of War 3 for the first time and the only thing I ask for is that they don't allow ANYONE that thought the labyrinth puzzles were a good idea to pitch anything for this title.

FUCK THAT, IT WAS STUPID AND NOT FUN AND DUMB

velociraptor

Ok that's a pretty good compromise to me.

Gurish

As a HUGE gow fan the game better be 60fps on standard PS4 or i'll wait for it to be $20.
Already a very hard sale to me as is.

Keep dreaming, there is no way that with such visuals they'll be able to reach 60 fps, especially since now it's behind the shoulder free cam which is far more demanding than the panned cam the series used to have.

Besides, older entries didn't really hold 60 fps for the majority of the time, the avg was about 40+ I believe.

Mauddib

Banned
Man I honestly don't understand the hate for qte's. They just take a few seconds away from you and break up the monotony of clearing enemy after enemy horde. What do you mean you need to feel a sense of satisfaction. It's more satisfying to defeat an enemy with a standard attack or would you rather see a dope animated sequence with a simple prompt to enter?

bunkitz

Really love what I'm hearing, especially the comparison with Zelda regarding exploration and discovery, as well as the story. I was interested in the previous games' story, but mostly due to the fact that they were set in Greek mythology, so to speak, and not so much the characters. This time, I'm definitely interested in what's going on with Kratos and his relationship with Atreus.

My only concern so far is something somebody mentioned in another thread, I think. That there might not be a jump button and aerial combos. We don't really have anything pointing to that yet, but the way the camera is positioned, kind of gives me the vibe that it might not have them. I can still see them happening, though, so hopefully.

Loudninja

So do we know whether you can jump during combat for aerial combos etc?

A quick google fu tells me Atreus was the name of a Greek king. So maybe there's a connection there who knows.

His axe is important him as well seems everything has a story.

Loudninja

A variation of the quick time event will still appear in the game. For big, elaborate boss battles, Barlog said, players can expect the “Track and Field” design, referring to the classic NES game in which players quickly spammed buttons to create a feeling of physical exertion. In dramatic sequences, God of War might ask the player to spam “X” or twirl the control sticks to mimic the action happening on screen. But at no point will the game require the player to tap a button at a precise moment.

“[QTE’s] are cool,” said Barlog, “but we’re finding a better way.”
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15811678/god-of-war-ps4-director-no-qtes-quick-time-events

Betty

Banned
I won't be too mad if Artreus suffers the same fate as Artreu.

I am looking forward to killing a bunch of new beings from another mythology though.

Hydrus

Sounds like they still have a hard on for violence.

giphy.gif

Like last year. I get you new exclusive interesting infos from this French gaming site interview:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/rep...ealisateur-repond-a-nos-questions-e3-2017.htm

- This GOW has been in development for at least 5 years (just after the release of GOW: Ascension, I presume)
- Cory Barlog considers that all past 7 GOW games only constitute one big chapter of Kratos' life, and this is his chapter 2 (this means maybe more sequels will come to expand this chapter 2).
- Cory isn't implicit about this and cries it loud, but I will still put in spoiler tag:
Kratos didn't die at the end of GOW3, and in this interview he said: "Kratos realized that he is cursed and can't even die, and he is condemned to wander for the eternity, and if he doesn't want to get insane, he needs to change". In some of last year's interviews, he said that no one would die in this game, neither Kratos nor his son and a sequel is still planned with him. So quit the idea of him (at least) dying.
This doesn't surprise me at all tbh.
- The journalist asked him, that in previous episodes, you recuperate weapons directly from bosses and if this is the case here in this GOW. Cory replied that getting items,weapons and progressing in this game is unique, but there are some cool elements from the past games they kept and that they will be used in an adequate way. He also insinuated that getting weapons from bosses is kept too.
- This GOW will keep the trend of the epic bombastic intros of he previous games. In fact for such epic intros, they got inspirations from Indiana Jones and James Bond

Even Le Monde journal talked about this game: http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...soin-d-un-nouveau-depart_5145440_4408996.html

and asked Cory about the games they inspired him for this game and the list was: Assassin's Creed, les Batman [Arkham], Tomb Raider, The Last of Us... but the game will have its own identity since the first GOW started and wasn't similar to any other game at that time.

Gurish

The RE4 of the Resident Evil franchise
It can't be the RE4 of the franchise cause I don't see how it's going to revolutionize the genre or gaming in general.

It can however be an excellent game, maybe the best in the series and who knows, even a GOTY winner but I don't think it's gonna be revolutionary in any way which is fine, the most important thing is that they refreshed the tired formula significantly.

David Jaffe always intended GOW to be a Zelda like GOW, with open settings and big focus on exploration, but it wasn't feasible at that time. In this GOW, you roam alot and search for many hidden items, idols, relics, etc. I bet you can find some secret weapons too. I mentioned last year, that a French journalist (from the same French site) who attended the behind closed door demo, saw how Kratos couldn't reach a hidden object in a high level. He threw his axe on it and the axe brought it back to him.

I like how this game is no longer just a wave killing game to get to next level, but instead an adventure hack'n slash with RPG gameplay.
Only a sequel in a form of a reboot could do all of this, but changing all the blueprints of the "first chapter".

DocSeuss

I don't like the new camera. That narrow FOV really bums me out. It's like watching an entire movie in medium shots, which is a horrible idea.

I'll be glad to see the QTEs for stuff like opening a door etc. gone, but hopefully they won't cut down on the combat QTEs too much.

I never understand people's complaints for them during combat in games though, especially if they're just used for finishing moves. To me it's no different than getting a riposte or backstab after a stun on a Souls game, aside from the fact that you don't get a picture of the button you need to press on the screen. You're still pressing a button to play out a canned animation and deal a set amount of damage to an enemy.

Top Bottom