• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

CrazyDude

Video Interview/Details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vWaANoSZSzE

Another New FAQ:

Apparently they answered some more questions.

BioWare said:
Thanks for making the thread - figured I'd cherry pick a couple of these smilie.

Bogsnot1 wrote...
- Can the MP mode be done solo, for those who either dont like MP, or want an extra challenge to finish the game without squadmates?

Currently, yes... but it's pretty hard. Though a lot of that depends on difficulty.

- Further to this, are 4 players definately required, or can it be done with 2, or 3? Will there be AI to fill out the teams if 4 are required? ViceVersaMan

You can play with less than 4 players.

- In case of player drop-outs, will their avatar disappear, be taken over by an AI, or will it be a universal "dump to main menu"? Will they come back with the same avatar should they reconnect quick enough?

That player will drop, they can always reconnect.

- Are teams rigid, and set once the game is underway, or can players join in later on?

Players can leave and join.

- What effect will time dilation abilities (A.R, Infiltrator Zoom) have in co-op? sam726

There is no time dilation in MP, the powers that might have normally had it were adjusted accordingly.

- Will there be MP-only achievements? DontTeachMyHamsterToSuckEggs

We're still working on achievements, but it's likely there will be MP specific achievements.

- Will it be Peer to Peer, or Client-Server based? Soul Cool

Server / Client.

- How does pause and the radial meny work in multiplayer and will class abilities function sameway in MP, like they do in singleplay? Juha81FIN

There is no radial menu in MP. There's a simplified version of it (kind of) that doesn't pause the game - as was mentioned above, affected abilities have been adjusted as needed.

- Will there be friendly fire from powers?

Right now, yes... but that's a bug and though funny isn't really what I think we want in the final product... it is after all a cooperative experience. smilie

- How will difficulty levels be handled? ViceVersaMan

Difficulty in MP leverages the same systems we use for SP, though it uses different scaling factors (I believe).

- Will Co-Op contain any spoilers for the SP campaign, or is it totally seperated? Phaedon

Beyond some of the enemy types, which might have specific reveals in SP - no.

- Can we have multiples of the same class? Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

Yep!

- Can we name our own characters, or will they just be generic race/class labels? Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

You can name them.

Posted on Bioware's forum.

4 player co-op multiplayer

Join your friends in the all-out galactic war to take Earth back. The universe of Mass Effect expands with the addition of new co-op multiplayer missions, playable over Xbox Live, PSN and PC internet. Players can choose from a variety of classes and races, form an elite Special Forces squad, and combine their weapons, powers and abilities to devastating effect as they fight together to liberate key territories from enemy control. Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced.

Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War

As a bonus to the campaign, BioWare is introducing the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, a new way for players to manage and experience the galactic war from multiple fronts, including a new 4-player co-op mode. The key to saving the galaxy is the “Galactic Readiness” level, measured by Commander Shepard’s ability to apply
every possible asset – people, weapons, resources, armies, fleets – in the final battle against the Reapers. Players can impact their game’s Galactic Readiness level in multiple ways via the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, including multiplayer. Other platforms and interfaces will be announced in the coming months. It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.

F.A.Q.

Why include 4 player Co-op multiplayer in Mass Effect 3?

Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well. Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game – all out galactic war.

Why only 4 player co-op? What not a versus mode?

We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3. The way we have designed co-op as a wayto take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension of the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Why did you decide not to include it as a part of the main campaign?

Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.

Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?

No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don’t like multiplayer – will my experience be negatively impacted?

Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer. The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?

ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.

Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?

We can’t comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.

Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?

No.

Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?

Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We’ll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.

Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?

We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform. Each component will be able to affect a player’s “Galactic Readiness” level in a different way. Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1#8481840

Update:

More info.

http://stickskills.com/2011/10/11/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-details-revealed/

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer has been planned since the original Mass Effect.

- Mass Effect 3 represents the first time that Casey Hudson had felt comfortable implementing multiplayer into the series.

-The multiplayer experience boils down to a four player co-op survial style mode that lets you fight increasingly difficult waves of Cerberus foes.

- The enemies you’ll encounter can range from your most basic foot soldier to “assassin-like Phantoms and even the hulking metal titan-esque Atlas mechs”.

- Each “stage” allows you to go up against eleven waevvs that must be finished in order to complete that section. The mode reminds quite a few of Gears of War’s horde mode, allowing you to net experience points regardless if you finish the wave alive or not.

-The “Galaxy at War” mode gives you a reward system, character-progression suite, and a “stake in the larger battle that’s taking place in your single-player campaign.

- How you perform in the multiplayer missions has a result on your success in the main storyline as Shepard, but only if you want it to.

- Everything you do in the singleplayer campaign will earn you in-game currency called “War Assets”. War Assets allow you to purchase things such as allies, friendly fleets, or even a facility such as a radar station.

-Successfully completing various side-missions, larger plot points, and destroying your enemies will net you the War Assets needed to purchase the upgrades.

-“The more you play and build up your multiplayer characters to surive increasingly tough odds, the more power and influence your single-player Shepard will wield by the time the endgame comes based on the amount of War Assets earned.”

- If you’re one of those gamers that loves to complete every piece of a game, then you’re in luck. By doing enough in the singleplayer campaign, you will be able to earn enough War Assets, you won’t phave to participate in the “galactic war”.

- While you’re going through a variety of locations in singleplayer, you’ll see first-hand how the war has hit different colonies. Galaxy at War mode follows suit, allowing your individual character and team to take up arms to defend these various locations. Your squad is under the command of the Alliance Navy officer Admiral Hackett, making his return from each game. Fighting in each various area will and successfully defending it will “win for interstellar freedom”.

- As you complete each area or defend newly freed areas, your progress will be detailed on a color-coded map that you’ll be able to view while you’re in the game or a few other platforms. iOS devices, Facebook, and more will allow these to be viewable and have their own “unique hooks” into the Galaxy at War mode.

- In the build described in the magazine article, four character classes were mentioned: Soldier, Infiltrator, Engineer, and Sentinel. The final version of the game has been confirmed to have more classes than this to initially choose from, as well as unlockables.

- Each class that you select from will allow you to select from a variety of races. Ranging from the likes of a Krogan to a Drell, you’ll have a good bit of variety to choose from. Yes, a drell, the same race as Thane from Mass Effect 2 (we’re excited).

-As you can probably figure, each class will allow you to possess “specific abilities” as well as the ability to upgrade a few. Krogan soldiers were described as being able to use a charge attack to known down enemies, along with Soldiers being able to use the Omni-blade for a few rather lethal attacks. For those wondering, you’ll also be able to choose your gender when choosing any class.

- There’s a set level cap of 20.

- While you can stockpile characters, the experience you earn only records for that character’s specific class. Once you level up, you’ll be able to assign those earned points to different abilities.

-Before heading into action, you can select your weapon & biotic-powers from the available options.

- Armor and weaponry can be upgraded to your individual tastes.

- Points can and will be earned for assists, kills, and other similar actions during multiplayer.

- When an ally goes down, you’ll have a limited amount of time to revive them. The article mentioned “spamming the A button” while down to increase the amount of time before bleeding out.

- Along with killing your enemies, mission objectives will be sprinkled here and there. Retrieving data packets around the map and protecting an ally while they hack a series of terminals were a few of the described mission objectives.

Endless said:
www.oxm.co.uk/34727/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-the-first-screenshots

8O28u.jpg

NMZF3.jpg
me3multi1dba3.png

me3multi2nlj8.png

me3multi3cl64.png

me3multi4glpz.png

me3multi53baq.png

me3multi66bf3.png

me3multi70b1n.png

me3multi84985.png

me3multi9pl5t.png

GSR

Wait, so the ending is determined literally by a "Galactic Readiness" stat?

I just... I just...

It occurs to me this also acts as an interesting form of DRM. Want to get the best ending easier? Have to have a new copy or an online pass.

CrazyDude said:
Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War
So, this is their fancy way of saying "Your choices determine how many people in your ME2 ME3 squad army die at the end of the game."

CrazyDude said:
Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well.
Grooming for an MMO?
Also, I have an idea or two for adding in exploration, Bioware...

CrazyDude said:
This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.
lol, intentionally leaving off Quarians. I love it. : P

DTKT

Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced.

What the fuck?

It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.

Oh okay, just make the system irrelevant.

I can already see the Facebook, twitter challenges that will help your "Galaxy Readiness" rating. I can already see the clusterfuck of people abusing it and making any kind of score irrelevant.

rozay

Banned
DTKT said:
Wait, so you want them to make this an integral part of the campaign?

I don't see a problem with them having this on the side for people who want to play the game this way, it sounds like it will add a ton of replay value if it's good.

DatBreh

Banned
DTKT said:
What the fuck?

I can already see the Facebook, twitter challenges that will help your "Galaxy Readiness" rating. I can already see the clusterfuck of people abusing it and making any kind of score irrelevant.

If people want to boost and cheat in order to do something in THEIR SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN, how does that impact your experience?

rozay

Banned
This should probably get a new topic, right?

They really should've had this prepared to release at the beginning of the day instead of announcing it then trying to downplay the possibilities.

exYle

That doesn't sound that bad... A bit like MMO raids, or the MW2 Spec Ops missions that required progression through a level.

Nirolak said:
I'll split it in 2 minutes.

Must finish eating.
You'll never max your galactic readiness at this rate, if you don't get on top of your game, Nirolak!

I really will be sad if additional coop maps are the only DLC "episodes" or whatever for ME3 after the pretty high quality ones we got in ME2. I mean, there's not likely a LOT of room to build in the same kind of things as ME2 had, story-wise, for ME3, but still!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Split bump.

Also, while I don't have solid evidence, I'm 99% sure that an iOS game is one of the components of the Galaxy At War system.

Typographenia said:
You'll never max your galactic readiness at this rate, if you don't get on top of your game, Nirolak!

I really will be sad if additional coop maps are the only DLC "episodes" or whatever for ME3 after the pretty high quality ones we got in ME2. I mean, there's not likely a LOT of room to build in the same kind of things as ME2 had, story-wise, for ME3, but still!
Don't worry, I'm sure EA will be out tons of DLC of every type and form imaginable.

Orayn

This... Actually sounds pretty cool. If by some miracle Bioware's developed some real action game chops, Mass Effect co-op could be quite entertaining.

rozay

Banned
Also seeing as the studio that made Dragon Age Legends is also a BioWare studio now (SF I believe) it's possible that there will be a facebook component as well.

It sounds original but I'm not really sure what the final product will turn out to be. Hopefully their claims that this is all optional and the single player campaign isn't affected by this is true.

Oh man, I know everyone made jokes about the "now this time, go recruit an army for ME3" and it being a standard checklist of sorts, but man....

Things are worse when they're real words.

Nirolak said:
Also, while I don't have solid evidence, I'm 99% sure that an iOS game is one of the components of the Galaxy At War system.
Will I be able to boost my galaxy readiness by buying ME themed sodas and inputting upc codes on the bottom of the cap?

Upon reading this again, I see I was wrong in how I interpreted the leveling. I thought this would go towards your primary character, but I guess your multi character is stand alone? I wonder how robust that system will actually end up being.

edit:
Nirolak said:
Don't worry, I'm sure EA will be out tons of DLC of every type and form imaginable.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I keep forgetting EA's tied to this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
rozay said:
Also seeing as the studio that made Dragon Age Legends is also a BioWare studio now (SF I believe) it's possible that there will be a facebook component as well.

It sounds original but I'm not really sure what the final product will turn out to be. Hopefully their claims that this is all optional and the single player campaign isn't affected by this is true.
Oh yeah, that's really likely as well.

Well, doesnt sound to bad, and its totally optional (i can get my optimal ultimate save palying single player).

Also I dont usually like multiplayer, but controlling a made by you character of any race could be incredibly cool to play woth your firends.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not immediately thrilled about the idea that all you have to do to get a perfect ending (besides killing the boss) is fill a freakin bar up. They need to go into more detail on how you can do that because if it's just finishing all of the main and side missions then that's incredibly stupid. Even though ME's conversation system is about as dumbed down as you can get in a rpg I'd still like choices to play at least some part in the ending.

At least they're not making us play multiplayer to fill those bars up. I do enough of that in call of duty.

Sounds like a horde mode to me. The Readiness stuff sounds like the ship upgrades in ME2, and how it effected whether characters lived or not. Except this time, your Readiness will effect how many people die in the war, and which characters survive.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
I'm not immediately thrilled about the idea that all you have to do to get a perfect ending (besides killing the boss) is fill a freakin bar up. They need to go into more detail on how you can do that because if it's just finishing all of the main and side missions then that's incredibly stupid. Even though ME's conversation system is about as dumbed down as you can get in a rpg I'd still like choices to play at least some part in the ending.

At least they're not making us play multiplayer to fill those bars up. I do enough of that in call of duty.

Really, because i have a collection of great RPGs with much worse.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The whole Galactic Readiness level thing is a bit troubling. I get that the co-op/whatever else stuff is inessential, but it's the idea of filling a bar to get the best ending that bugs me. For starters, in a game about choice (lol, I know), there should be no 'optimal' or 'complete' ending. There should be no strictly right or wrong decisions. And for that 'optimal' ending to be decided by how far you've grinded your Galactic Readiness level is just lame.

That being said, the co-op stuff sounds kinda interesting. It's a bit less predictable than the straight-forward deathmatch shit I expected. Personally, I don't mind the inclusion of it since it will have no impact on the single player.

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:
Really, because i have a collection of great RPGs with much worse.

I would like to see what rpg you can find that has a worse and even more binary dialog and choice system than the ME series. This isn't a part of my ME2 hate either, 1 suffered the same problem.

Derrick01 said:
I'm not immediately thrilled about the idea that all you have to do to get a perfect ending (besides killing the boss) is fill a freakin bar up.
That's basically all you had to do in ME2, so I don't see what the big deal is.
As long as you ticked off every check-box and made reasonable choices on your last mission, you got GOOD ENDING.

Derrick01

Banned
Typographenia said:
That's basically all you had to do in ME2, so I don't see what the big deal is.
As long as you ticked off every check-box and made reasonable choices on your last mission, you got GOOD ENDING.

Yeah but at least that bar was hidden :p

True though it's not an improvement and it's one of the things I hated about ME2.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
I would like to see what rpg you can find that has a worse and even more binary dialog and choice system than the ME series. This isn't a part of my ME2 hate either, 1 suffered the same problem.

How about every good Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Disgaea, etc....You know those games where the conversation choices dont mean anything at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The actual system itself, and the way it integrates into the single player, sounds cool.

But seriously, Galaxy Readiness Level? Even the single player will likely be missions to add to this bar to fill it high enough to see the final fight?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wonder how many mspoints the Galactic Readiness Boosters will cost. Hopefully I can buy in bulk.

Snuggler said:
The whole Galactic Readiness level thing is a bit troubling. I get that the co-op/whatever else stuff is inessential, but it's the idea of filling a bar to get the best ending that bugs me. For starters, in a game about choice (lol, I know), there should be no 'optimal' or 'complete' ending. There should be no strictly right or wrong decisions. And for that 'optimal' ending to be decided by how far you've grinded your Galactic Readiness level is just lame.

That being said, the co-op stuff sounds kinda interesting. It's a bit less predictable than the straight-forward deathmatch shit I expected. Personally, I don't mind the inclusion of it since it will have no impact on the single player.

Most choices ins Mass Effect saga has been "good"/"bad" or right/wrong, it was never morally ambiguous, which created some problems, but anyway, clearly that won't change in ME3.

IMO, the out come should depend of all your choices from ME to ME3, if you fucked up in ME and ME2 you should get a bad ending, you killed the rachni? oh look Asari colonies has been wiped out, now they only can give you half of the fleet, good day sir!!

*BAD ENDING*

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:
How about every good Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Disgaea, etc....You know those games where the conversation choices dont mean anything at all.

Oh I didn't know you were going to cheat and bring in japanese rpgs. Well ok in that case I would agree lol.

But for western rpgs it's easily the worst.

hamchan

vodka-bull said:
No MP at all would have been better.

Sure, but since all EA games apparently have to have MP now, an optional co-op mode that one can freely ignore is the best thing they could have done imo.

rozay

Banned
vodka-bull said:
No MP at all would have been better.
The MP isn't being made by the studio working on the campaign, so you can play the game as if there is no multiplayer and enjoy it.

WOW they really shoe horned MP in there didn't they. I had sod all interest in mp before I read that rubbish and I have even less interest in it after reading it.

All I need now is confirmation on whether they are going to shove Origin down my throat. If so I will definitely be choosing to NOT play MP and I will pass on SP too.

Sober

Depends on how hard I have to grind to get this optimal ending at the end of ME3 to see if it is worth it. Although at least it gives them a reason to unleash DLC and make "galactic readiness" easier and faster to max out I suppose.

As long as I can ignore MP and it doesn't take ages to get the best ending, I'll be fine with it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
At worst this will be forgettable, and at best it might actually be a lot of fun with friends. I doubt it even affected the design of the main game since "Galaxy Readiness Level" is something I could totally see BioWare thinking is a good idea even without multiplayer.

DatBreh

Banned
I find it funny that people are complaining about something when they have no idea as to how it works. If there is a "complete the game" bar you have to fill up, then you can go beat the game with the good ending, then ok fine, complain, but as of right now you dont know if thats how the system works. In ME2 you could have done everything right in the game but made bad choices in the last mission and still screwed it up. Maybe the system will be like that....you need a certain level to be able to make the right choices to succeed. Like having certain races being loyal to you and able to help out during the fight increases the level, or having the right upgrades for your ship or whatever, that makes perfect sense. I dont know, but im withholding judgment until i find out.

And to the guy above how is multiplayer shoehorned in when since the first game was even displayed people have been asking for the ability to have humans be your squad mates?

Gamer @ Heart said:
Please dont have to many achievements tied to it.
That's my one fear. Dead Space 2 dodged the bullet, so I'm crossing my fingers here again.

Snuggler said:
I wonder how many mspoints the Galactic Readiness Boosters will cost. Hopefully I can buy in bulk.
Origin exclusive.

edit:
markot said:
MP is ruining this gen. THERE I SAID IT!
22ATi.jpg

FStop7

Banned
afternoon delight said:
Oh man, I know everyone made jokes about the "now this time, go recruit an army for ME3" and it being a standard checklist of sorts, but man....

Things are worse when they're real words.

You thought it was a joke? ME2 was telegraphing pretty hard that you were going to need to rally the races to fight the Reapers. The Geth loyalty quest and Quarian recruitment/loyalty quests were pretty blatant about what's coming.

Also, how many cases of Mountain Dew will you have to buy to increase your Galaxy Readiness Points?

Top Bottom