• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Aleh

I can't wait to get my hands on it and a Switch. Totally deserves such high scores, and with Zelda it makes a kick-ass combo just two months after launch

Crom

Played the hell out of the Wii U version both online, single player and against friends. The new version sounds worthy of another purchase with the added content, especially since I never purchased any of the DLC, and slight improvements to the graphics.

Along with a true battle mode. I am excited for the return of the feather (loved it in the SNES version)

Trago

Literally half the people at my job are getting this game to play in the break room.

Portable Mario Kart gonna do numbers I think.

I'm actually impressed by these reviews. I wanted to wait until Mario Odyssey to buy a Switch but if Arms reviews decently, I might get on board earlier than expected.

B00TE

So excited that I'll be able to take this with me on the go. New battle mode looks amazing. Looking forward to the GAF rooms again, they were super fun at launch.

Zedark

Great reviews, my first time actually playing a Mario Kart game since playing a few races of Mario Kart DS on my brother's NDS. Really looking forward to this!

shibbs

Not sure if I will will double dip since I had it on the Wii U with all the DLC but definitely the best Mario kart there is. If you haven't played, check it out!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Some things currently missing compared to wiiu version.

Video sharing.
Voice chat

Also, disappointed that there's no last person standing balloon battle. Nintendo opposed to this mode since 64... why?

Axass

The amount of 100's seem ridiculous, surely there must be something to dock a point or two over, for example the FPS being capped back down at 30FPS for 3-4 player modes, or the wonky way online play works.

Dunno how many times it has been said over the years but... you don't start at 100 and dock points when reviewing games. A review is a critic assessment of a game, one can give a game a 10 even if there are a few blemishes: they're simply totally overshadowed by the good stuff.

The sales for this game are going to be HUUUUUUGE worldwide. No question about it.
I have it on Wii-U but I'll be playing this online for years so I ordered it anyways.

I would say I'll wait for a price drop but then I remembered this is Nintendo and it won't happen, so I guess I'll For my wallet to get fatter.

Dre3001

I'm surprised so many people are concerned with double dipping having an effect on sales.

MK Wii sold around 36 million copies.
MK8 sold around 8 million copies.

That is a loss of around 28 million.

I know the Wii sold much more than the WiiU but there are tons of Nintendo and MK fans who completely skipped the WiiU altogether. I think this game will easily outsell the WiiU version in the long term.

These reviews are expected. The first game was reviewed at an 88 before it got some of the best DLC ever released and then they also added an improved battle mode and other tweaks to perfect up what was already a phenomenal game.

ggx2ac

Literally half the people at my job are getting this game to play in the break room.

Portable Mario Kart gonna do numbers I think.

Seeing the Digital Foundry Mario Kart 7 3DS Vs Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch comparison with the same stages used showed a massive difference for how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be in portable mode.

Handheld/Tabletop mode is definitely going to be great for local multiplayer.

Weird that Game Revolution says, "no longer constrained by Wii U's teensy install base." Has Switch sold more then Wii U already? I also never had an issue finding a race online in the Wii U version so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

JordanKZ

Mario Kart 8 is objectively the best in the series, adding more to it and tweaking the formula was always going to produce these review scores.

I've probably put like... 40 hours into MK8 and I'm oddly excited about doing that all over again.

Have you played Splatoon on Wii U? That game is a system seller too.

I do own Splatoon on Wii U and I know it's a good game but I'm not really into shooters and multiplayer games. Considering my tastes, I probably shouldn't be excited about Arms either but for some reason, the trailers have really sold me on it. And I'm a big fan of Punch-Out Wii.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I wish they had added some smash style achievements.

Ghosts incentize track optimization, but I was never incentized to try different characters and kart parts.

Arkeband

Banned
Sure, every game has something you can nitpick. But if that nitpick does nothing to diminish the quality of the game it would be pointless to dock points. Very few perfect games exist, but that doesn't mean 100s shouldn't be given to games that set standards in a genre.

Last of Us has some ugly textures here and there, it's a 100.
Resident Evil 4 has some frustratingly designed sections, it's a 100.
Resogun has....something wrong with it I'm sure, but it's a 100.
Tropical Freeze has long load times, it's a 100.
Breath of the Wild has frame rate drops, it's a 100.

etc. etc. etc.

I think having perfect framerates in a racing game should be the #1 priority going forward (dropping down from 1080p should be a necessary concession), and the online components are still bizarrely antiquated.

Some of the examples you gave are kind of silly, a few ugly textures in a lengthy third person narrative shooter isn't the same as engine performance for a racing game.

As pointed out above, some reviews are so glowing that they seem to be making shit up, like "no longer constrained by Wii U's teensy install base.", which wasn't an issue in the Wii U's case and seems to be judging it by the Switch's projected future community.

Griss

The original MK8 was absolutely a 10/10, so no surprise that this one is too.

The only question is whether it does enough for those of us who've already sank 100 hours into the Wii U. From that perspective the lack of new tracks is super disappointing. I've never cared about battle mode in any Mario Kart, but maybe this one will be different.

For those who never had a Wii U, Zelda + MK8 is an astonishing one-two punch. For those of us who played both to death on the Wii U, the Switch remains an unessential purchase. Splatoon 2 feels eons away...

ZeroX03

Banned
I think having perfect framerates in a racing game should be the #1 priority going forward (dropping down from 1080p should be a necessary concession), and the online components are still bizarrely antiquated.

Yeah but what you think is the #1 priority in racing games clearly isn't an opinion shared by reviewers or the general public. It's ignorable to most.

I think the game should have a beefy single player component, and that's far more important to me than dropping to 30fps for local 3-4 player multi (something I'd probably never do). But few people seem to agree with me there. Ah well.

big_erk

An amazing game gets re-released with no downgrades at all, and many enhancements, why would you not expect high scores?

This is why I don't understand people demanding points be docked from the game because it's a port. If the game was a 9 before and gets re-released on another platform with various enhancements and improvements and no downgrades, the score should go up or at least stay the same.

If you want to complain about the online, that I can understand. But we've always known the Switch online isn't fully baked yet.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
music: 10/10
gameplay: 10/10
portability: 10/10
diddy kong availability: 0/10

overall 2/10, would not play

Top Bottom