• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Ok...so we're playing LBP tonight and my PS3 just turned off, the power to it was completely cut I had to hit the switch on the back and turn it back on then hit the button on the front...so we go back to LBP and it happens again, same exact thing.

Is my PS3 about to break?

My launch 60gb PAL machine died on Christmas morning. I have two more launch Units, so I'm not that concerned. Everything was backed-up, something I'm pretty obsessed about in this digital age. The only downer was this was my Singstar machine and we'd just spent an hour with our Eyepet finishing the tutorial.

Going to try the YLOD fix tonight, and hopefully get some more life out of the unit.

netguy503

demosthenes said:
Ok...so we're playing LBP tonight and my PS3 just turned off, the power to it was completely cut I had to hit the switch on the back and turn it back on then hit the button on the front...so we go back to LBP and it happens again, same exact thing.

Is my PS3 about to break?

your turning your console on and off from the back? Dude, your console is about to die. :(

netguy503

KillerAJD said:
I can deal with the slim, and I guess I can deal with the game saves, and I could probably get Gamefly to hold off on charging for a bit, but one thing that I just realized is, what about a few of my family members account stuff that I shared with? Will they deactivate all the profiles on the PS3 I send them, or only for my PSN (which I've heard is a bitch to do anyways)? And I really have no tools/space to take the thing apart, plus, I'd be afraid I'd not get it back together again, lol.

*EDIT* I tried booting it up again a few minutes ago, and it stayed on long enough to eject the disc. Glad that issue is taken care of.

Yea, now unto the weeks on end hassle of trying to deactivate your system. I THINK once you deactivate an account it deactivates on everyone's system. But I'm not an expert. But your right, just getting the SYSTEM'S OWNER account off THEIR own dead PS3 IS a REALLY BIG HASSLE. Just to give you some perspective- mine died mid/late November and I'm STILL working on how to get MY account off MY system. Right now I'm on a silm and I can't even download from MY transaction history of past games I bought MYSELF.

And people WANT this kind of system to carry over to your PS4 (and continue the 4 shares ONLY system from your PS3 without resetting your share slots and instead continuing on from where you left off sharing wise on your PS3 even though your PS4 will be in all new system and require a share slot itself...and what if THAT dies!). Those people are NUTS or have never suffered a YLOD. I vote both.

Coins

Banned
netguy503 said:
They WON'T send you the same one back. They'll send you a slim.

Again, this is why I want NO BC with the PS3 on PS4. A system that can just play GAMES right would be FINE BY ME. You over complicate things, you get this shit.

I would do the hairdryer trick to get your game out. Especially if it's a rental.

If you send them a BC unit, youll get a BC unit back.

KillerAJD

Coins said:
If you send them a BC unit, youll get a BC unit back.
That's what I had though, but honestly, if they aren't going to send me back the same unit (with all my saves and profile info on it), then I'd rather they send me a slim anyways. I was trying to sell the 60GB fat anyways, and if the slim is thought to last longer overall, I'd rather have that. That is, once I ge the money to get it fixed :/

netguy503

KillerAJD said:
That's what I had though, but honestly, if they aren't going to send me back the same unit (with all my saves and profile info on it), then I'd rather they send me a slim anyways. I was trying to sell the 60GB fat anyways, and if the slim is thought to last longer overall, I'd rather have that. That is, once I ge the money to get it fixed :/

Even if they send you back your old console, or even if they have a refurb BC 60GB PS3, it STILL will be a refurb console and, in this generation you DON'T want that. There is no "permanent" fix for a YLOD, there are just ways to string out the inevitable. Whether you are ok with that or not is your decision. I wouldn't be.

And slims are AWESOME dude. They have GREAT fans built into them, take less power/energy, and they are SOOOOO quiet. You'll be happy with your purchase.

Now you just have to deal with Sony and try to get your own system deactivated. :(

netguy503 said:
your turning your console on and off from the back? Dude, your console is about to die. :(

You didn't get it.

1) Playing LBP
2) Conosole SHUTS off. No electricity is going to it. The only way I can get it to go on is by turning it off in the back and turning the switch back on then hitting hte power button int eh front.

I have an extended warranty through Target (3yr), I don't know how it works...I back up my HD every so often, I did it about a week ago. Should I not try to back it up again? B/c if I'm backing it up and the power shuts off it will fuck it up?

Anyone have any experience w/ Target extended warranty?

ALSO, I have a 320gb HD in my PS3....will I lose that?

netguy503

demosthenes said:
You didn't get it.

1) Playing LBP
2) Conosole SHUTS off. No electricity is going to it. The only way I can get it to go on is by turning it off in the back and turning the switch back on then hitting hte power button int eh front.

I have an extended warranty through Target (3yr), I don't know how it works...I back up my HD every so often, I did it about a week ago. Should I not try to back it up again? B/c if I'm backing it up and the power shuts off it will fuck it up?

Anyone have any experience w/ Target extended warranty?

ALSO, I have a 320gb HD in my PS3....will I lose that?

You don't get it. You're fucked. At least with that machine.

YES you can get your HDD back.Just repeat how you swapped HDD's in the first place (HOPEFULLY you still have the old one on you.)

YES you will get a slim.

YES you will probably lose all your saved data (don't try backing up again. Yes it might corrupt your data if it shuts off randomly again during a back up).

YES you have probably lost one of your 4 remaining activations (and will now have 3.
Hope it doesn't break again).

I think that was it.

Why do I need activations if I have all the stuff backed up? If I turn the PS3 on and deleted my account on the current one, won't it basically transfer to the new one?

Or couldn't I take the 320gb HD out (put the old 60gb one in), and put that in my new PS3 and be fine?

demosthenes said:
Why do I need activations if I have all the stuff backed up? If I turn the PS3 on and deleted my account on the current one, won't it basically transfer to the new one?

Or couldn't I take the 320gb HD out (put the old 60gb one in), and put that in my new PS3 and be fine?

Deleting your account doesn't free up one of the 5 DRM activations you can have per PSN account. You need to go to account management and specifically un-register your PSN account. He's wrong about you having lost one of your activations though. Technically you don't stand to lose anything at all except for copy-protected saves. Since your console isn't completely dead, you haven't lost one of your activations.

netguy503

demosthenes said:

If you got to turn your PS3 on long enough to turn off your account activation then you will have that same activation for your PS3. It sounds like you don't have alot of time from when you turn it on from the back (again, this is the number 1 reason Sony reps claim is the cause of the YLOD so I'd advise doing this as little as possible. You are putting more stress on your console than you know) and it wil take a minute or two so good luck.

And know putting in a old HD into a new machine will not give you back your old activation ( I wish).

I would suggest you leave it alone for the night. Let it cool down and FEEL that it is cool before you turn it on from the back again. You will have much better chances of it staying on longer that way (but, still in the end, probably randomly dying again).

netguy503

Valkyr Junkie said:
Deleting your account doesn't free up one of the 5 DRM activations you can have per PSN account. You need to go to account management and specifically un-register your PSN account. He's wrong about you having lost one of your activations though. Technically you don't stand to lose anything at all except for copy-protected saves. Since your console isn't completely dead, you haven't lost one of your activations.

Read his post. He was going to do nothing and just get a new one from Target through his warranty. I was responding and telling him if he did that without doing anything else he would lose an activation.

Your right his console is not dead and he can still recover but it's WELL on it's way there. I'd try to get my activation of as quick as I could and then high tail it out of there like there was no tomorrow.

netguy503 said:
If you got to turn your PS3 on long enough to turn off your account activation then you will have that same activation for your PS3. It sounds like you don't have alot of time from when you turn it on from the back (again, this is the number 1 reason Sony reps claim is the cause of the YLOD so I'd advise doing this as little as possible. You are putting more stress on your console than you know) and it wil take a minute or two so good luck.

And know putting in a old HD into a new machine will not give you back your old activation ( I wish).

I would suggest you leave it alone for the night. Let it cool down and FEEL that it is cool before you turn it on from the back again. You will have much better chances of it staying on longer that way (but, still in the end, probably randomly dying again).

Yea it's been off for a few hours.

So would this be a reasonable course of action:
1) Turn on system
2) Deactivate PSN (where exactly is this?...Acct MGMT?)
3) Back up a select few saves since last back up on to flash drive
4) Turn off system
5) Swap HDs (put original 60gb back in)

Now through the warranty process, I end up w/ a slim. Can I just slide my current 320GB HD into the slim and register my PSN on it?

netguy503

demosthenes said:
Yea it's been off for a few hours.

So would this be a reasonable course of action:
1) Turn on system
2) Deactivate PSN (where exactly is this?...Acct MGMT?)
3) Back up a select few saves since last back up on to flash drive
4) Turn off system
5) Swap HDs (put original 60gb back in)

Now through the warranty process, I end up w/ a slim. Can I just slide my current 320GB HD into the slim and register my PSN on it?

Can anyone help....does trying to back up your saves after you deleted your account just re-register your account again? If you disconnect your account from your machine doesn't that corrupt all your data from all the games you've played on it meaning you CAN'T save them anymore?

Personally, I think your playing with fire. I don't think, as bad as your system sounds, that you'll be able/ have time to do both. I would pick one- what is most important to you? Having all your latest saves (didn't you say your last backup was a week ago? How much more could you have done in a week) or being possibly locked out of the PSN and never being able to get to your PSN or be able to download anything on your system?

Anyway, I think your taking a gamble trying to do too much. Let us know how it turns out.

Alright...it was just 6 or so hours on infamous and I can redo that no problem I guess. Ugh this is annoying. But overall my plan should work right? Just moving the HD if I can deactivate the PSN account...it'd under Acct MGMT?

I can switch 2 and 3, if I wanted to save the files but I'd rather deactivate than anything else.

netguy503

demosthenes said:
Alright...it was just 6 or so hours on infamous and I can redo that no problem I guess. Ugh this is annoying. But overall my plan should work right? Just moving the HD if I can deactivate the PSN account...it'd under Acct MGMT?

I can switch 2 and 3, if I wanted to save the files but I'd rather deactivate than anything else.

Again, I don't think you can backup save files after you deactivate. And you just said deactivating is more important than anything else. so i suggest you just focus on that. And then, yes, just switch out the HDD's again like normal.

hirokazu

Hey guys, my PS3's Blu-ray drive is dying/dead. 80010514 error and all that.

And I'm halfway through FFXIII D8<

Now I can see an auction here for a 60GB PS3 with YLOD. This is a motherboard issue and hence the BD drive in it should be fine for harvesting, right?

Also, are there differences between the drive in the PAL 60GB unit and the Japanese one? I should assume not, but it'd be a problem if there is.

Yea I just played LBP for about an hour, and GoW3 demo, testing the PS3...working fine so far.

Might it have been a minor hiccup or something?

torontoml

Mine died for the second time today with Infamous stuck in it, gonna attempt to fix it myself if I can find the right torx bit. Not sending it to Sony, since I would have to pay $200 and I've already done that once. So I'll buy a new one in a few months with an extended warranty.

Played infamous for another hour and a half, I'm convinced that something last night messed it up. Overheating is supposed to be with a blinking red light.

The one thing that worried me while playing LBP is that I was dressed as Captain Jack and part of his hat stretched across the screen for 2 seconds or so. My experience w/ this is that the video card was over heating on my computer when it did this on FFXI (running 2 boxes in windower :lol ).

I called the warranty...should I go ahead and still send it in or should I keep it for now. From what others know, is my system definitely on its way out? I'm just worried they'll get it and say nothing is wrong with it, that's my biggest concern.

I'll be back later tonight, thanks for any input.

I'm in need of some advice here, gents.

So yesterday, I got a brand new 120 gig ps3 slim. Yay, right? I pick up 2 games to go with it: Dead Space and Dragon Age. Dead Space looks pretty great, but I can't help but notice the shadows are all blurry and pixelated. Oh well, I think, some devs have trouble programming on the ps3. No biggie. And then... I try to play Dragon Age. Oh, my god. Fucking suck city. I'm getting maybe 20 fps, characters are bugging out and disappearing during cinematics, I'm pissed but the game is still playable. When I get out into the wilderness tho, it all goes south. Fast. The "ground clutter" disappears and reappears as I move around, trees are popping out and in and in general there's so much gliching out that I'm getting dizzy. Also, at this point, the ps3 sounds like an old hatchback trying to climb up a hill. It's not sitting on carpet or anything dumb like that. So, I switch my tv from 1080i to 480p, and lo and behold, Dragon Age improves to around 45-50 fps, the pop in decreases, but everything looks.. well, like 480p. The question I'm posing here is this:

Did gamestop sell me a used and apparently heat damaged ps3 slim that was supposed to be brand new? Or did this one maybe take a nasty shock in transit? Or do these games (mostly dragon age) seriously work so poorly on the ps3 in 1080i, in which case double fuck that. Thanks!

KillerAJD

*EDIT*^^^
That definitely sounds like something funky is up. I haven't heard any serious glitching out issues like you've described with Dragon Age, and my cousin hasn't said he's seen anything wrong with it (he just got the PS3 version for Christmas). It could have just been a defective unit, or it could be Gamestop shenanigans. Was the packaging at all messed up when you got it? Did it look like it might have been opened? You probably should just return it to Gamestop and swap it for another one. Shouldn't be too big of a hassle.

Well, got a hold of Sony CS a minute ago and the lady said I could either pay $145 (something around there) +$29 shipping for shipping if I want to get the same model back (she didn't say unit) or $119 +$29 shipping for a trade in deal for a Slim. I decided on the slim because I wasn't guaranteed the same unit back, so no use in getting a model that may do the same thing later on down the line. I also asked about getting the account info on the PS3 deactivated, and she said she'd transfer me to the network/online people to get the accounts deactivated once I've called back to confirm everything.

Luckily, the worse thing about the call was waiting for 10 minutes on hold, but no problems after that. Looks like you can in fact get a fat back, it'll just cost you more. Now I need to transfer some money and I should be good to go. Wonder if I could get it (well, the slim they'll send me) back before the weekend.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
theinfinityissue said:
I'm in need of some advice here, gents.

So yesterday, I got a brand new 120 gig ps3 slim. Yay, right? I pick up 2 games to go with it: Dead Space and Dragon Age. Dead Space looks pretty great, but I can't help but notice the shadows are all blurry and pixelated. Oh well, I think, some devs have trouble programming on the ps3. No biggie. And then... I try to play Dragon Age. Oh, my god. Fucking suck city. I'm getting maybe 20 fps, characters are bugging out and disappearing during cinematics, I'm pissed but the game is still playable. When I get out into the wilderness tho, it all goes south. Fast. The "ground clutter" disappears and reappears as I move around, trees are popping out and in and in general there's so much gliching out that I'm getting dizzy. Also, at this point, the ps3 sounds like an old hatchback trying to climb up a hill. It's not sitting on carpet or anything dumb like that. So, I switch my tv from 1080i to 480p, and lo and behold, Dragon Age improves to around 45-50 fps, the pop in decreases, but everything looks.. well, like 480p. The question I'm posing here is this:

Did gamestop sell me a used and apparently heat damaged ps3 slim that was supposed to be brand new? Or did this one maybe take a nasty shock in transit? Or do these games (mostly dragon age) seriously work so poorly on the ps3 in 1080i, in which case double fuck that. Thanks!

Sounds like your Slim is messed up....i would go and exchange for a new one ASAP. I just started Dragon Age last nite on my Slim and i didnt have any issues at all, so its not the game im afraid...

EDIT-- In the interest of full disclosure, my Dragon Age ran at 720p, not 1080i, but still....i highly doubt that's your issue.

yeah, definitely gonna return it and check out my options. Thanks for the responses guys

I really couldn't imagine that it was just the fact that it was in i instead of p. Now.. to go wrestle with gamestop. I'm going to clad myself in grim resolve and prepare for battle.

scotcheggz

So my 60GB unit just packed in, it keeps turning itself off with a flashing red light. I hear that means overheating, but it is always kept clean and well ventilated, so I'm going to pack it in and get a slim tomorrow. It is three years old anyhow.

I need to de-activate my system and try to back it up and them I'm good to go right? I'm not too sure on this stuff, I don't know if I'll be able to keep it on long enough to get it all backed up either. Is there anything worth trying, like opening it up and giving it a full on inside out clean up?

squinters

astigmatic
Selling my system on eBay didn't really work out. Put it up for $149.99 (with free shipping) and had no takers for 6 days. This wasn't that surprising, as even 60gb YLOD machines were goin for $150 themselves. The hours ticked down and I started thinking about other options on what to do with the PS3. I left the house during the last hour of bidding and to my surprise I found that when I came back, one guy bid on it (for the base bid of $149.99) and won. At first I was pretty excited that I was about to get rid of it and get a slim, but then I noticed he was from France. I offered free shipping to the United States, but didn't specify in my listing that I don't ship overseas. I thought "my bad" and decided I could take the $40 dollar hit to ship to France considering I'd still receive a $100 profit. So I send him an invoice and wait for him to pay. That's when everything went south. An email, supposedly from eBay, was received and stated that a different shipping location had been approved for the buyer. At first I thought that maybe I'll only have to ship it to the US after all, but I looked and saw that he infact wanted me to ship to Nigeria. Yep, I was gonna get scammed. I haven't talked to the guy since, but I did receive a of emails from "Paypal" stating that they received a payment of $230, but that they wouldn't give it to me until I provide tracking information for the shipment. I hit up the eBay boards and discovered this exact same scam has happened to others, and that apparently Paypal really does somethimes withhold funds, but they need proof of delivery to release them, not proof of shipping. I reported the user and the fake emails to eBay and Paypal and am currently waiting for eBay to credit the $13 I owe for the final sell fee. I think I'll just send in the PS3 to Sony, hopefully I'll get the same $150 to trade in for a slim deal that KillerAJD got. I don't want to deal with another round of scam.

P.S. Also on the last day I received a message through eBay from a doctor, with pretty good feedback actually, who wanted to buy the (broken) PS3 for $2300 for his son-in-law. yea...

scotcheggz

squinters said:
Selling my system on eBay didn't really work out. Put it up for $149.99 (with free shipping) and had no takers for 6 days. This wasn't that surprising, as even 60gb YLOD machines were goin for $150 themselves. The hours ticked down and I started thinking about other options on what to do with the PS3. I left the house during the last hour of bidding and to my surprise I found that when I came back, one guy bid on it (for the base bid of $149.99) and won. At first I was pretty excited that I was about to get rid of it and get a slim, but then I noticed he was from France. I offered free shipping to the United States, but didn't specify in my listing that I don't ship overseas. I thought "my bad" and decided I could take the $40 dollar hit to ship to France considering I'd still receive a $100 profit. So I send him an invoice and wait for him to pay. That's when everything went south. An email, supposedly from eBay, was received and stated that a different shipping location had been approved for the buyer. At first I thought that maybe I'll only have to ship it to the US after all, but I looked and saw that he infact wanted me to ship to Nigeria. Yep, I was gonna get scammed. I haven't talked to the guy since, but I did receive a of emails from "Paypal" stating that they received a payment of $230, but that they wouldn't give it to me until I provide tracking information for the shipment. I hit up the eBay boards and discovered this exact same scam has happened to others, and that apparently Paypal really does somethimes withhold funds, but they need proof of delivery to release them, not proof of shipping. I reported the user and the fake emails to eBay and Paypal and am currently waiting for eBay to credit the $13 I owe for the final sell fee. I think I'll just send in the PS3 to Sony, hopefully I'll get the same $150 to trade in for a slim deal that KillerAJD got. I don't want to deal with another round of scam.

P.S. Also on the last day I received a message through eBay from a doctor, with pretty good feedback actually, who wanted to buy the (broken) PS3 for $2300 for his son-in-law. yea...

That sounds horrible. I just sold my 60GB on ebay for £100, some guy bought it within 24 hours of putting it up. He has payed for it, hopefully everything will be alright. Sounds like a bit of a minefield.

So I bought Motorstorm Pacific Rift today at Best Buy and get it home and fire it up and get this. Still shaking my head that my slim is only 4 months old. :( This gen's hardware sucks.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

My 80 gig died with a fucking BR edition disc of the Sopranos Season 1 inside. Luckily, I was able to get it working long enough to perform a high priority extraction.

Just need some help on this situation, b/c it's not like anything I've read about:

I wrote originally about this in the death thread but I'm really confused on what's going on here.

Two nights ago. We were playing a level on LBP (4 player online) a hotel destruction one. The system turned off (it was not hot to the touch, or even feel it). When I say turned off, ZERO electricity, no activity. I had to turn it off in the back (old 60gb) and then hit the switch to turn it on. After that I turned it on in the front. This happened again and then I called it quits.

Yesterday, I played infamous for 4.5 hours on single player, ZERO problems.

Today, played infamous for an hour and then later in the night played LBP again and the same thing happened. It did it again, turned completely off, we happened to be on the same level.

Could this somehow be this level overloading my PS3? Bombs are constantly dropping, I've had no other problems with it. I really have no idea what to think.

dsigns

Banned
demosthenes said:
Just need some help on this situation, b/c it's not like anything I've read about:

I wrote originally about this in the death thread but I'm really confused on what's going on here.

Two nights ago. We were playing a level on LBP (4 player online) a hotel destruction one. The system turned off (it was not hot to the touch, or even feel it). When I say turned off, ZERO electricity, no activity. I had to turn it off in the back (old 60gb) and then hit the switch to turn it on. After that I turned it on in the front. This happened again and then I called it quits.

Yesterday, I played infamous for 4.5 hours on single player, ZERO problems.

Today, played infamous for an hour and then later in the night played LBP again and the same thing happened. It did it again, turned completely off, we happened to be on the same level.

Could this somehow be this level overloading my PS3? Bombs are constantly dropping, I've had no other problems with it. I really have no idea what to think.

Sounds like its gonna die soon. If you can get it back on do a full system backup.

dsigns said:
Sounds like its gonna die soon. If you can get it back on do a full system backup.

I intend to:
-Remove my PSN from the PS3 (acct deactivate or w/e)
-Take out the 320GB HD
-Put in the ORIGINAL 60gb HD
-Put it in the coffin that should be here today or tomorrow

This way I have a 'back-up' that is actually what I want.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OldJadedGamer said:
So I bought Motorstorm Pacific Rift today at Best Buy and get it home and fire it up and get this. Still shaking my head that my slim is only 4 months old. :( This gen's hardware sucks.

That sucks.....do all your games do that now?

demosthenes said:
I intend to:
-Remove my PSN from the PS3 (acct deactivate or w/e)
-Take out the 320GB HD
-Put in the ORIGINAL 60gb HD
-Put it in the coffin that should be here today or tomorrow

This way I have a 'back-up' that is actually what I want.

Will this work?

AKA, I will put my existing 320GB HD with everything on it in a NEW PS3? Can I do that or do I have to do the backup function?

demosthenes said:
Will this work?

AKA, I will put my existing 320GB HD with everything on it in a NEW PS3? Can I do that or do I have to do the backup function?
No. It's still going to make you format the 320gb HD cuz it was previously used on another PS3. You NEED to use the backup utility to back up your shit.

Revolutionary said:
No. It's still going to make you format the 320gb HD cuz it was previously used on another PS3. You NEED to use the backup utility to back up your shit.

Ugh...goodbye Demon's Souls save file :(

Porkepik

Well my 20 gig launch system died last week(ylod), sold it on ebay for 100$ to a local buyer, bought a new slim. Hope it will last more than 3 years. With the credit I had at EBG+trade in of 4 games, I paid nothing out of my pocket.

Bye Bye BC but I did not use BC a lot just the first few month so it won't be missed much. I had a backup from september, only problem is RB2 and GH5 saves were locked :( so these did not transfer to the new system.

As a nice christmas present my 360 said fuck it 2 days later (she was also 3 years old). SO I bought a new elite as well. At least on the 360 I still had some extended warranty on it, the one on the ps3 expired 2 weeks ago damn....

The slim is good looking, does not make any noise I'm pleased with it just down a little bit due to the lost of some of the save and the 300 files I had to download again (RB2 DLC+GH DLC)

it's strange, my 60gb launch upgraded to 320gb froze on a black screen when i was trying to launch call of duty classic. now my ps3 will take discs with no issue but the loading clock icon in the upper right hand corner just spins continuosly. never had any trouble out of it before so i called sony.

sony sent me some intructions on hard drive diagnostics as they seem to think that's the problem. tried all the instructions short of reformatting my hard drive. the ps3 still works like a champ, short of reading discs. currently formatting an external hard drive to fat32 so i can try and backup my game saves, etc.

here's the link they sent me - http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1857

funny thing is, when i try to 'restore file system' it tells me some files are corrupt and need to be repaired, but it seems this option never repairs them.

so i guess, what i'm asking, what's the probability that this is my issue?

to reiterate - the problem i'm seeing is no discs load. loading icon continues to spin in the clock area but nothing comes up on the xmb.

Porkepik said:
Well my 20 gig launch system died last week(ylod), sold it on ebay for 100$ to a local buyer, bought a new slim. Hope it will last more than 3 years. With the credit I had at EBG+trade in of 4 games, I paid nothing out of my pocket.

Bye Bye BC but I did not use BC a lot just the first few month so it won't be missed much. I had a backup from september, only problem is RB2 and GH5 saves were locked :( so these did not transfer to the new system.

As a nice christmas present my 360 said fuck it 2 days later (she was also 3 years old). SO I bought a new elite as well. At least on the 360 I still had some extended warranty on it, the one on the ps3 expired 2 weeks ago damn....

The slim is good looking, does not make any noise I'm pleased with it just down a little bit due to the lost of some of the save and the 300 files I had to download again (RB2 DLC+GH DLC)

why didn't you just call sony and have them replace it with a slim for 150? you'd have saved 50 bucks.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
That sucks.....do all your games do that now?

I don't have that many games but Uncharted 2 gives me a bunch of purple dots everywhere, Motorstorm 2 has those crazy polygons as you can see from the screen shot I posted, and Brutal Legend has little white dots and flashes everywhere.

But inFamous is just fine, Critter Crunch is fine and the Dante's Inferno demo was just fine. Seems that some games use the GPU a certain way and that will F my system off.

hirokazu

dark_preacher said:
here's the link they sent me - http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1857

funny thing is, when i try to 'restore file system' it tells me some files are corrupt and need to be repaired, but it seems this option never repairs them.
Doing the "Restore file system" thing forces the system to reboot in a state where it thinks there are some corrupt files, even if there isn't.

It does "repair" it, but when you repair something that's not causing the problem, it's not going to make the problem go away.

hirokazu said:
Doing the "Restore file system" thing forces the system to reboot in a state where it thinks there are some corrupt files, even if there isn't.

It does "repair" it, but when you repair something that's not causing the problem, it's not going to make the problem go away.

i gotcha. so backing up and formatting my drive is the last possible fix. i'm hoping it's sometype of damage file on the drive as this did happen after a power off/crash. dunno, guess i'll give it a go and if that doesn't work i'll start looking for a ylod ps3 to salvage it's bd-rom drive.

as per sony's troubleshooting advice, i finished the backup but no luck there. looks like it's definately the drive.

so i guess i'll be trying to grab a broke ps3 or buying a drive off ebay. definately don't want to send my baby in to the mouthbreather's at sony so they can send me someone else's junk.

My PS3 is started to have trouble reading certain movies... first Generation Kill Disc 2 a couple of days ago, and Moon last night. Funny thing is it still plays my Lost Season 5 Disc 3,b ut it won't even read the other two discs when I put them inside... does it sound like my BD-ROM is going out?

Gyrian

My 40GB Ceramic White bit it yesterday, yellow light. I did manage to get the disc inside ejected, so that's a plus. I'm really bitter about this whole thing, but will attempt the repair to have a chance to get at my data.

DRM sucks. Everytime I see it, it refers to which rights have been taken away from you. Even if I succeed, I don't know how much data I won't be able to rescue from my dead PS3.

Animal

Banned
Shit I didn't realize slims were dying already :(

Mine makes lots of cracking sounds when I turn it off. It's as if the chassis and/or heat sink is contracting with the temperature of the components.

Top Bottom