• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can Nintendo improve upon in Smash 4 Switch from a technical perspective?

I just thought of something else.. Will it be possible to see 1080p 60fps footage if we import our videos from youtube now, considering Wii U version was only 720p 60fps?

Ripley's-22.jpg

Not sure if it would fit the Smash vibe

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Honestly, I'm willing to just patiently wait for Smash 5.

All I need from 4 anymore, are hype tournament streams.

If there has to be a 4 Switch, just buff low tier charanters.

There won't be a Smash 4 port. There will only be Smash 5. Nintendo and Sakurai would never do just an upgraded port. I'm 100% certain there will only be a Smash 5 on Switch.

There won't be a Smash 4 port. There will only be Smash 5. Nintendo and Sakurai would never do just an upgraded port. I'm 100% certain there will only be a Smash 5 on Switch.

I'll make sure to quote you on this. I think there's a pretty good chance we'll get word in Q1 2018 and have it released by the end of 2018 at the very latest, though a Q1 release at Switch's 1 year anniversary makes the most sense to me personally.

That left joycon is useless by itself. I don't see Nintendo doing this.

It's not actually useless though, as the four directions on the d-pad could function as the A, B, Y and X buttons.

I mean, it would be very difficult to actually use as an individual sideways controller, but what I mean is that there wouldn't be any actual incompatibility issues.

El Sabroso

on the technical side

as far as graphics, is all right is 1080p/60 no AA, but the lack of AA does not bother me since graphics are clean

thanks to the limits of the 3DS Ice Climbers were not there and since 3DS version does not have the exact same stages which is something important for the meta, seeing a definitive edition with all 3DS stages and Ice Climbers is the way to go

Online experience, they really need to improve this a lot, if is possible to replicate the results from ARMS and port that netcode, would be godlike but I am not sure about that since it appears that ARMS is using the type of netcode devs write for Shooters instead of what can work on a Fighting game in a 2D space

Bring back Ice Climbers as split JoyCon characters, that would be a fun co-op experience.

All characters should be unlocked from the outset this time around, and instead make unlockables be some fun new items to play with. This should make it better for competitive play (who don't care about items anyway) and change up the formula somewhat.

They definitely need new stages, items, characters, music, etc. It needs to be looked at as adding an expansion pack to the base game to create something that people will want to repurchase. Also, promise balance patches after launch.

Goemon as a playable character. Mystical Ninja needs a comeback.

Ice Climbers.

edit : I mean the Ice Climbers weren't technically possible in 8 players mode on Wii U

They were. The issue was that the 3DS version couldn't handle 4 players/CPUs set to Ice Climbers without impacting performance, and Sakurai insisted on 1:1 roster parity.

Regardless, they were held back for technical reasons that are no longer relevant, so they still fit. And I can't believe they'd insist on roster parity with the previous versions if Smash 4 Switch does indeed come to fruition.

Since Smash U was already 1080p/60 and looked pretty great, I don't really think extra technical improvements are necessary, beyond allowing all stages to be 8-player (without disabling stage hazards [with an option to do so anyway!]) and bringing back Ice Climbers. Beyond that I just want a Definitive Edition with all 3DS and Wii U content in one package, and ideally some new content.

I guess it would be nice if they could bump the internal rendering resolution and down-sample, for better IQ. Handheld mode would probably be able to render at 1080p still, if they managed it on Wii U. Maybe docked could hit 1440p?

Bring back Ice Climbers as split JoyCon characters, that would be a fun co-op experience.

All characters should be unlocked from the outset this time around, and instead make unlockables be some fun new items to play with. This should make it better for competitive play (who don't care about items anyway) and change up the formula somewhat.

from content perspective, I would love skins.. I'd definitely buy 64 ganondorf skin.

Ehh I want some things to be locked. The dlc characters + any new characters being locked would be nice. Not an absolute requirement though. But if there was a way to transfer our wii u save files to the switch, that would be great actually. Would be a pain in the ass to unlock those challenges trophies.. or worse, the custom moves. We shouldn't get copies of the same custom moves. That's B.S.

So from a technical perspective, I personally hope for:
-being able to turn off hazards in stages before starting
-8 player versions of all stages
-1080p 60fps for youtube uploading
-better effects, lighting, shadows would be nice. Textures and polygons are a bonus. Mostly these are for the stages as some aren't nearly as pretty as others. I'm not expecting a melee->brawl improvement in graphics. Just some touch ups.

QOL improvements:
-honestly.. the menu needs an overhaul. Tour Mode shouldn't have its own button, and there should be a screen/button for single player modes like classic mode, events, etc, instead of of Smash Tour. Smash Tour itself should be in "Games and More"
-being able to save playing stock in vs mode instead of having to always change timer when booting up the game(outside of switch's sleep mode)
-no repeating custom move unlocks
-possibly being being able to upload wii u save content to the switch to save time on trophies(or at least custom moves), and possibly characters
-buff the lower tier characters and custom moves a bit
-rebalance some of the items of Tour mode
-have players be able to play custom moves in all modes, and without having to be equipment

I'll comment later for content stuff I guess.

VariantX

1. Ice climbers for sure as the 3DS didn't have the juice to do it. Extra characters would be nice.

2. 3DS + Wii features in a single unified package.

3. Custom moves for all characters including DLC and making them easier to access. Give players a way directly purchase things they want, instead of inflating play time.

4. Adding some AA would clean up the game's look quite a bit.

5. Another Mii character type, caster?

They need a target lock mode so I can follow who to fight in 4 player modes.

If maps get so big that it makes players tiny, they need a player marker.

Let's face it, we all use random to select characters but no one wants to play as Olamar. We need an option to assign a favorites roster for each player account. This way I can comfortably play as any non Pokémon or Fire Emblem character.

Adventure mode needs to be less platforming, more Final Fight.

Arcade mode needs more options. Like a 1v1 mode & a 2v2 co-op.

Blocking should be automatic if controller is not touched.

By pressing both attack & special at the same time, I want to see a combo.

Smash Attack should be holding in a direction then button while they absorb power like Samus's arm cannon. Once fully charged it makes a cool sound to indicate you have maxed out strength.

When punching a player a bar shows above their head with a meter. With each hit, numbers appear over head with negative numbers reducing player guard. Once meter is down player will be vulnerable to a smash attack ender.

I cannot tell if this is a funny slam dunk on PS All Stars, or just someone who has no business being within 600 miles of a fighting game.

Seiniyta

Hmm, I'd like them to get rid entirely of custom moves and change it so you can unlock character variants for characters with different properties and moves.

Like take Mario and you unlock docter mario 8 bit mario and Super Mario world mario. You select mario and then get the option to select a variant. A lot of them share moves but their properties changed like custom moves. But the variants also having different weight/speed etc. Some of the moves would probably be very different.

For pikachu you then could unlock Pichu, Raichu and Alolan Raichu. Etc. Would be way cooler then custom moves.

Honestly, I just really want the 3DS stages and all DLC included. I enjoyed the 3ds mapset more than the Wii U, but I really didn't enjoy playing it on 3DS as much. A Switch version with all those maps is an instant sell for me.

They were. The issue was that the 3DS version couldn't handle 4 players/CPUs set to Ice Climbers without impacting performance, and Sakurai insisted on 1:1 roster parity.

Regardless, they were held back for technical reasons that are no longer relevant, so they still fit. And I can't believe they'd insist on roster parity with the previous versions if Smash 4 Switch does indeed come to fruition.

Since Smash U was already 1080p/60 and looked pretty great, I don't really think extra technical improvements are necessary, beyond allowing all stages to be 8-player (without disabling stage hazards [with an option to do so anyway!]) and bringing back Ice Climbers. Beyond that I just want a Definitive Edition with all 3DS and Wii U content in one package, and ideally some new content.

I guess it would be nice if they could bump the internal rendering resolution and down-sample, for better IQ. Handheld mode would probably be able to render at 1080p still, if they managed it on Wii U. Maybe docked could hit 1440p?

The CPU and RAM were more powerful than the Wii's, no? At the very least the NEW 3DS should have been able to handle it, if that was the case. It's a shame their GPU wasn't upgraded along with it.

Smasher89

Not triple dipping for a game that removed my favorite characters, nerfed my "new characters" to close to unviable, added rage and removed techs, rather have a 5th game with a new engine.

That said, Smash run with actual interaction between players still sounds fun in theory, 8 player smash run in 60 fps would be fun to try out concidering it didnt really work well at all on the 3ds due to rounds often having 0 interaction between players.

(Copied my post from another thread)
Just throw in Ice Climbers, two player Rival Smash, upscale the 3DS features and levels and call it a day. Smash Bros for Switch 2018.

If that doesn't happen, it's safe to assume we're getting Smash 5 further down the line.

Also, it's time cut the cord with the gamecube controller.

The CPU and RAM were more powerful than the Wii's, no? At the very least the NEW 3DS should have been able to handle it, if that was the case. It's a shame their GPU wasn't upgraded along with it.
No. The 3DS had a dual-core ARM11 CPU clocked at 268 MHz. The Wii's single-core PPC-based Hollywood chip was clocked at 729MHz. It does have more total RAM memory, but a sizable chunk is eaten up by the system OS. RAW numbers put it more in line with the GCN. The two architectures are extremely different though, so it's impossible to do clean comparisons, but either way it's still trailing behind the Wii in a fair few areas.

And yeah, New 3DS had a pretty huge improvement to the CPU, so it almost certainly would have been capable, but then if Sakurai wasn't willing to sacrifice parity across 3DS and Wii U, he certainly wasn't going to sacrifice between 3DS players. :p

No. The 3DS had a dual-core ARM11 CPU clocked at 268 MHz. The Wii's single-core PPC-based Hollywood chip was clocked at 729MHz. It does have more total RAM memory, but a sizable chunk is eaten up by the system OS. RAW numbers put it more in line with the GCN. The two architectures are extremely different though, so it's impossible to do clean comparisons, but either way it's still trailing behind the Wii in a fair few areas.

And yeah, New 3DS had a pretty huge improvement to the CPU, so it almost certainly would have been capable, but then if Sakurai wasn't willing to sacrifice parity across 3DS and Wii U, he certainly wasn't going to sacrifice between 3DS players. :p

Where can I find some hard numbers on the 3DS and New 3DS? Things like how many Mhz the CPU, the GPU, polygons per second, etc.

Top Bottom