• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing co-op night in Dark Souls tonight. What I had planned to do was actually finish the game, I am right at the end with the fog door sitting there, but I decided to go and get all the weapon upgrades and armour before moving to NG+.

Ended up in Anor Lando buying Twinkling Titanite, and thought I'd quickly put a summon sign down to see if anyone was about for a "quick go". 3 hours later I have just finished :)

I have now hung up my +9 Elite Armour too; the badass Black Knight +5 Armour is great, although I have had to put Havel's ring back on to help with load.

This weekend I will definitely 100% finish the game, and then begin NG+! :)

Derrick01

Banned
Do the knights before the final boss drop their armor/weapons?

No. I did get 1 weapon but they all dropped shards of some sort. There was a corpse off to the right on one of those ledges that had a full set of armor though. Pretty sure it was black knight armor.

No. I did get 1 weapon but they all dropped shards of some sort. There was a corpse off to the right on one of those ledges that had a full set of armor though. Pretty sure it was black knight armor.

They can randomly drop whatever weapon they're holding. I had to farm them for a BK greatsword and halberd.

you mean the Large Divine Ember. Yea that one is such a pain in the ass to get. Luckily it's right towards the beginning of the area. I'd recommend Hush spell (or Slumbering Dragon Ring) and the Hidden Body (or Fog Ring). Just run in there and grab that sucker and high tail it out.

Hmm..Guess I'll go get it. I've been meaning to pick up a fog ring anyway (for dicking around).

The Black Knights have been generous to me. With the covetous serpent ring and a handful of humanity I've gotten almost all of their weapons just from the non-respawnable fights.

Robot Pants

Man...the lag just ruins PvP for me. Got backstabbed during a roll just now.
I'm also new to PvP so this might not be news (probably isnt). Is PS3 just as bad at this as 360? I have PS3.
Also, Four Kings in NG+ was such a pain in the ass. Could never summon anyone so I had to go it alone. Iron flesh and Ascended Pyroflame +5 really helps.

So I was in the Catacombs today and after I killed the knight who is on the level beneath the titanite demon, these glowing rings (two of them) appeared in the corridor. They looked just like the one that appears after you beat the Iron Golem, but I couldn't interact with them.

Random glitch? I don't remember seeing them on my first playthrough.

Mxrz

With Skyrim platinum'd, I finished my Mage up. All that is left is finish off Nito and open up the Kiln, and take the MLGS up to +5. PvP is so so. I did one shot an invader with dragon's breath (or crystal soul spear, forget which), funny stuff. But it isn't easy to hit people with spells.

I'm thinking of starting a high strength, heavy weapon build next. I really dig how the Black Knight weapons look. But they all need high dex, and there is no guarantee you will get one before the Kiln.

I had weird lag stuff going on in Dukes this morning. I was co-oping, and Invader messages weren't popping until well after the were in. I'd hear the little invasion/summon sound, look around, and see them. The rotating stairs was also completely out of synch between the hosts and I. They'd be running up thin air and stuff.

I found that helmet last night which looks like a Mimic Chest, very weird but I can see it's benefits, especially if farming in Tomb of Giants with the Skeleton Babies. I actually had two Mimic chests left to open in the game, they were upstairs in Anor Lando! I remember avoiding them before :)

My man is SO badass with fully upgraded Black Knight armour. Looks a little odd as the actual enemies in the game are really tall, but it's still awesome!

Zertez

:(

i guess i'll just use this character as a first run for the storyline, and then start a new character.

quick question: are critical hits only when the backstab or riposte animation kicks in? i kind of want to be a dagger thief for my secondary character, but i'm noticing that you can't seem to backstab a lot of the bigger monsters. will a thiefs damage output be gimped because of this? or does simply attacking from the back cause criticals as well?
I have a dex dagger build. I mainly use fully upgraded bandit knife, fire and lightning versions. It isnt uncommon to see bs around 1.1k and riposte 1.5-1.8k. As you mentioned this isnt possible with all mobs though. Dex starts seeing diminishing returns on weapons around 40 points, although dex also helps casting time till around 45 skill points. Dex also helps with bows/crossbows, so upgrade one as soon as you can. You have several different paths you can take after you hit 40 dex. Dexerity reduces casting time, so pyromancy can do some nasty damage with low cast times. It is worth upgrading a glove to max and investing in some extra spell slots. I spend quite a bit of time pvp, so I put a lot of points in faith for various miracles. It doesnt help as much in pve, but it is nice way to round out the build. With dex builds you have a lot of options after you hit the soft cap, it all depends on your playstyle and what you plan to do with the build.

So I was in the Catacombs today and after I killed the knight who is on the level beneath the titanite demon, these glowing rings (two of them) appeared in the corridor. They looked just like the one that appears after you beat the Iron Golem, but I couldn't interact with them.

Random glitch? I don't remember seeing them on my first playthrough.
This was posted a couple pages back, but this thread still moves fast. Good to see this game keeping and bringing in new people.
Miracle Resonance

"Some miracles have a "Resonance" property. If multiple players nearby in the network use these miracles, the effect for everyone is amplified." Some mobs will also cast miracles with a resonance.

I've been upgrading my STR to improve the damage with the Black Knight Greatsword but it's been greatly diminished after 30. I only get 1 more damage per STR now.

Is there any point in upgrading further or should I go for endurance?

In any case it's fun to one-hit-kill the silver knights as they slash at me :D.

Just finished Sens Fortress and I feel heavily overpowered. Lucky me found the symbol of Avarice at Sens and my enchanted Uchigatana +4 (took me a while to farm those blue chunks) cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Now I need a break, played nearly 5 hours with a small hangover from yesterday. Time for some tasks that don't need as much reaction and concentration.

This was posted a couple pages back, but this thread still moves fast. Good to see this game keeping and bringing in new people.
Miracle Resonance

"Some miracles have a "Resonance" property. If multiple players nearby in the network use these miracles, the effect for everyone is amplified." Some mobs will also cast miracles with a resonance.

Interesting, thanks. It's crazy that after 80-some hours put in (which I know is nothing compared to lots of other players) there's still so much to learn.

Mxrz

Most people only upgrade str/dex for weapon reqs. the damage return on even the best scaling is kind of poor.

I played around on my first character this morning, that's over leveled to like 140+ I was surprised to see so many summoning signs at the S&O bonfire. I was being constantly invaded too. I didn't think there would be much activity, maybe the level ranges are more generous than I thought. Since I hadn't gotten the lordvessel on whatever cycle this was, I figured what the hell and started summoning. Everything had mega health and did crazy damage. I went through a lot of Sunbros getting to S&O, the silver knights could seemingly one-shot some people.

Against S&O, 500'ish dmg hits barely dropped their bars. At one point 3 of us were beating on Ornstein with Sunlight blade & DMB up, and still couldn't kill him before he killed one of the phantoms. I couldn't flask fast enough. We did get it, but it was a funny thing to see after not being out of NG in months.

Invaders weren't all that great either. Outside of backstabs, I felt like Godzilla with that much health. Just straight up tanking Wotg & normal hits without care.

mrxz said:
Most people only upgrade str/dex for weapon reqs. the damage return on even the best scaling is kind of poor.
interesting. is there a wiki page or post detailing the different scaling progressions?

Also finished my first playthrough. Already back for more.
grats! and yeah, this game is really addicting. i'm not even finished my first playthrough and already planning out my 2nd lol.

Dresden

interesting. is there a wiki page or post detailing the different scaling progressions?

grats! and yeah, this game is really addicting. i'm not even finished my first playthrough and already planning out my 2nd lol.

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/

mud-chan's calculator for weapon scaling.

STR and DEX scaling is just fine, people tend to downgrade them because on the stat sheet they won't reach as high a number as elemental weapons. But as you meet greater resistances from enemies their value goes up substantially, and that's before you consider resins or enchants.

Soulhouf

Actually crystal upgrade path is really useful if you know how to use it.
Since I was farming in New Londo I ended up with a shitload of chunks. So what I did is buy 10 Demon Great Machete and 10 Demon Great Axe from Shiva and upgraded them to +4 crystal which is significantly stronger than the normal +15.

Derrick01

Banned
I have a question about co-op. If I leave a sign down do I have to stay in human form for someone to be able to summon me?

Also what's a generally good area to leave a sign down, right before a boss' fog door or the closest bonfire?

Astra

Well, take the Black Bow of Pharis as an example. On my old character I had 40 Dex, and the Bow at +15 and was doing around 250 damage, depending on the enemy.
Now with a new character, minimum Dex requirements to weild the bow (18) and 40 strength, bow maxed at +15 and I am doing around 40 damage.
Seems to me the damage output from stat scaling is pretty good.

I have a question about co-op. If I leave a sign down do I have to stay in human form for someone to be able to summon me?

Also what's a generally good area to leave a sign down, right before a boss' fog door or the closest bonfire?

If you're being summoned, you can be either human or hollow.
Depends on the area. For larger areas, around a bonfire is usually a good spot. Lost Izalith, for example, I found I got summoned much more at the second bonfire, rather than the first. So I'd say the bonfire closest to the boss is best.

Mxrz

Well, take the Black Bow of Pharis as an example. On my old character I had 40 Dex, and the Bow at +15 and was doing around 250 damage, depending on the enemy.
Now with a new character, minimum Dex requirements to weild the bow (18) and 40 strength, bow maxed at +15 and I am doing around 40 damage.
Seems to me the damage output from stat scaling is pretty good.

That is a best case scenario since its one of the few weapons with an S. Even in that example it is 20+ stat points (More with the reqs) for +200 dmg. That is poor compared to what you can get with elemental for nothing stat wise, or what you can reach with a bare Sunlight blade, DMB, or CMW instead.

I like my ninja gal with her 40 dex, but her damage would be much better if I'd kept her dex at reqs, and went with INT or Faith for buffs. Or she could have had much more health by just gouging vitality and going with chaos weapons. But that wasn't the character I wanted to make.

If you don't care much about keeping to level ranges and then it isn't that important. But with pvp ranges (especially 30/60) such high stat comments are a lot more limiting.

Derrick01

Banned
If you're being summoned, you can be either human or hollow.
Depends on the area. For larger areas, around a bonfire is usually a good spot. Lost Izalith, for example, I found I got summoned much more at the second bonfire, rather than the first. So I'd say the bonfire closest to the boss is best.

Thanks. Haven't had much luck yet but I'll keep trying. Seems like I have to stay in the general area too which kind of sucks.

Astra

That is a best case scenario since its one of the few weapons with an S. Even in that example it is 20+ stat points (More with the reqs) for +200 dmg. That is poor compared to what you can get with elemental for nothing stat wise, or what you can reach with a bare Sunlight blade, DMB, or CMW instead.

I like my ninja gal with her 40 dex, but her damage would be much better if I'd kept her dex at reqs, and went with INT or Faith for buffs. Or she could have had much more health by just gouging vitality and going with chaos weapons. But that wasn't the character I wanted to make.

If you don't care much about keeping to level ranges and then it isn't that important. But with pvp ranges (especially 30/60) such high stat comments are a lot more limiting.

That's fair.
I don't PvP much because my connection to others always seems to suck, and I lag so badly. Hate getting lag-stabbed. The person is 5 feet away from me, then suddenly they warp and I am being backstabbed.

Seems stat scaling is best with Dex weapons. Iaito has an A, I think, and I do some great damage with that. However, compared to my Lightning Zweihander, which has no stat bonuses, even the Iaito falls short. Of course it swings a lot faster, so it evens out.

Thanks. Haven't had much luck yet but I'll keep trying. Seems like I have to stay in the general area too which kind of sucks.

What level are you, and what area are you trying to be summoned at?

Astra

100 on new game+. Just trying to get some easy summon kills near areas like the gargoyles or capra demon. Early game bosses.

Ah, okay. Have you had any luck yet?
I never noticed any signs during my NG+ run to the gargoyles (I was level 100 or so, as well) as they are so easy on a NG+. Capra demon is still a bit of a pain, though.
I was still getting summoned pretty regularly at Anor Londo at around level 90-95. Though I was summoned to help people with PvP a lot more often.

Jarlaxle

Finally beat this game tonight. I think I started playing around the end of March. Great game! I enjoyed this game even more than Demon's Souls. Some of these areas were really striking. The atmosphere is unlike anything else. I ended the game at level 100 with 39 hours played.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me. This community is really one of the reasons this game is so great and you're all really friendly and helpful. I also love how no one ever seems to get frustrated by the same questions over and over again. You guys are awesome.

I think it's time for me to move onto Xenoblade Chronicles now. 'Til the next Souls game.

I played around on my first character this morning, that's over leveled to like 140+ I was surprised to see so many summoning signs at the S&O bonfire. I was being constantly invaded too. I didn't think there would be much activity, maybe the level ranges are more generous than I thought.

yeah i found that at SL136, tried using the dried fingers in Anor Londo and seriously, more than half the time I couldn't get back from the bottom of the first spiral staircase to the bonfire before someone else would invade. Earnt myself a nice million souls for an evenings work.

krakov

Elemental weapons are still overpowered at low levels but if you are going SL 100 and beyond it's better to go with scaling. You start to see a clear advantage in late game/NG+ already.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Cross posting from figure thread.

qslol.jpg

m0ibD.jpg

Graverlord Nito is probably my favourite boss fight so far. Utterly creepy, and his whole presentation makes him seem incredibly powerful. Yeah, he can summon an endless army of skeletons, but then he will blow them up when he gets annoyed of them because he can just summon another million, so whatever. Not that hard a fight, but the presentation was perfect.

I died on my first attempt of fighting Nito because I had used up most of my Estus on my way to the fight. As I respawned at the bonfire I figured I might as well kindle it. Then I saw a summon sign and figured "Hey, why the hell not" and saw a dude who looked utterly badass with awesome looking armor and weapons. I figured that summoning him will make this way too easy. I summoned the guy, and a random crawly skeleton killed him moments later. Okay then.

So also having killed Priscilla and Four Kings earlier, I think that just leaves wherever Lost Izalith and the Crystal Cave lead to. I'm not really a fan of the idea of going to either of those places, but Crystal Cave is probably gonna be first because at least that one doesn't actively attempt tp blind me.

Also, while playing Dark Souls I've noticed a whole bunch of good deals on various other games I've been interested in. I have a good pile of untouched games next to the PS3. Haven't even put them in yet, because Dark Souls. After today's frustrations and my utter unwillingness to enter the 2 places I have left, I came to the conclusion that...I want to play New Game + as well when I'm done. Probably not gonna platinum this, but probably gonna want to play more of this after I'm done the first time.

wtf i just finished coming out of blighttown and found another firekeeper soul. head back to firelink shrine and find the witch dead. how did she die? and is there another way i can upgrade my estus flasks now?

Akainu

wtf i just finished coming out of blighttown and found another firekeeper soul. head back to firelink shrine and find the witch dead. how did she die? and is there another way i can upgrade my estus flasks now?
It was Lautrec. You find him in Anor Londo and kill him to get her back.

Meanwhile you can upgrade your flasks after you beat Queelag in Blighttown, there is a hidden room after her lair with her sister or in Anor Londo at the first Bonfire. This might take you a while because you have to go through Sens Fortress

Sajjaja

So I was cursed by a gravelord. How do I find the soul sign? Is it in the area I was in when cursed?

Yeah. It's a bitch to find. Thankfully, you don't have to be human to find it either, because if you did... you would never be able to invade it due to you being invaded, and then attacked by the BPs...

krakov

So I was cursed by a gravelord. How do I find the soul sign? Is it in the area I was in when cursed?

The sign is where the gravelord is, so it can be anywhere really. Never found a sign after seeing the message but also never got any bp enemies.

The sign is where the gravelord is, so it can be anywhere really. Never found a sign after seeing the message but also never got any bp enemies.

Actually the message is phrased really badly, to me the message implies you've been gravelorded and you should go find him and kill him right? Actually it means he's just been killed. When you see BP enemies from memory there's no message at all, you'll just be running around like usual then turn a corner onto this:

bp_sensljual.jpg

I had a couple all on the same cycle for one character, did manage to record invading a gravelord at one point though be warned it's phone cam, and the phone slipped after I set it up giving a severely less than optimal view ;) I only youtubed it to show a friend.. Oh for a proper capture device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axeNmj4pyPY&t=3m43s

krakov

Actually the message is phrased really badly, to me the message implies you've been gravelorded and you should go find him and kill him right? Actually it means he's just been killed. When you see BP enemies from memory there's no message at all, you'll just be running around like usual then turn a corner onto this:

bp_sensljual.jpg

I had a couple all on the same cycle for one character, did manage to record invading a gravelord at one point though be warned it's phone cam, and the phone slipped after I set it up giving a severely less than optimal view ;) I only youtubed it to show a friend.. Oh for a proper capture device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axeNmj4pyPY&t=3m43s

I thought there were two different messages, one telling you of a gravelord presence and one telling you of his/hers demise. Always get so excited whenever I see one that I fail to read the text. I still haven't seen any BP enemies in my own world but I have seen both BP giants in Anor Londo and BP mushrooms in the forest while invading. Also spent probably 100+ hours gravelording before I figured out standing around for hours on end is no fun.

AEGISX

Banned
anor londo is such a huge fail, it makes this game a complete garbage just because of that archors on that catwalk lame segment.

GrizzNKev

Banned
anor londo is such a huge fail, it makes this game a complete garbage just because of that archors on that catwalk lame segment.

I completed the game without any ranged weapons except at the very beginning to get the drake sword. Didn't use the ring of fog either. Other parts of the game are much more difficult. If you're not doing well there, you may not be ready to face what's next.

I still wonder myself but my easy strategy did work perfect. Ran up (I have 12 endurance and the set from Oolacile) until the first tower. Cast Homing Soul Mass (3 will go away when you go around the corner) start runing again towards them. On the small ledge turn right - the missiles hit the archer - roll (twice sometimes) hit him and you are safe.

Dresden

All you have to do is just jog up there and then knock the archer on the right off the ledge. Either get your shield up and force him back as he swings at you or kick him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom