• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360: Team Fortress 2 patch and new maps coming.

Shamrock

Banned
So valve doesn't do a very good job keeping the 360 community updated on the steam forums about patches or maps coming etc... so I shot a email over to Gabe Newell asking him if he took my Orange box money and skipped town on my ass.:lol

Got a response back today.

Hello Shamrock,

I am part of the Xbox 360 development team here at Valve, so Gabe
forwarded your message to me. I'm very sorry to hear that you feel we
have "skipped town" and deserted our customers on the 360 - I personally
visit several Orange Box forums and try to post when I have time, but
it's clear from your experience that we aren't reaching enough of the
community. That said, I'd be happy to answer your questions here.

We do have a new update coming out - in fact, it's going to Microsoft
for certification today. There's about a 10-14 day certification time,
so you should be seeing it before Christmas. The update fixes several
game-play exploits, improves bandwidth usage, improves stats reporting,
and fixes some menu bugs. Most of the fixes that are in this update are
in response to forum posts from both the PC and 360, and from direct
in-game feedback from players. (Yes, we actually have several people who
regularly play TF2 on the 360 and collect feedback from the players.
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.)

We are currently working on new maps, and we are planning to release
them as downloadable content for the 360. I don't know what the
schedule will be for that - new maps will likely be released
individually on the PC as they're ready, and then we'll offer them as a
single pack on the 360. We're currently testing a new map that's
extremely fun, and we can't wait for our customers to try it out.

We are always interested in what the community has to say, and will
continue to support TF2 on all platforms. I personally work with the
360 version on a daily basis, and will continue to do so until we feel
that the product is the best it can be.

Best,

Kerry Davis
Software Engineer
Valve

DevelopmentArrested said:
Pretty shitty that it takes 2 goddamn months to put out a patch.
Most if not all players have moved onto CoD4 by now.

I think anyone who feels that CoD4 can replace TF2 isn't really worth playing TF2 with. Just because they both have guns doesn't make them even remotely similar experiences.

There's about a 10-14 day certification time,
so you should be seeing it before Christmas

That's an 'optimistic best case scenario timeframe' for certification, from what I've heard about MS certification.

Not that them being thorough about bug testing is a bad thing, but in other examples of content being sent for certification its been 3-4 weeks turnaround.

BeeDog

So I gather the maps will be free for PC and released when they're done (like DoD:S), and priced DLC for 360?

I just bought my brother (shaowebb at GAF) Orange Box for the 360 and gave it to him today for his birthday.

He mainly wanted the game for Portal.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think anyone who feels that CoD4 can replace TF2 isn't really worth playing TF2 with. Just because they both have guns doesn't make them even remotely similar experiences.
I'm pretty sure DA thinks COD4 can replace anything and everything.

Shamrock

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
That's an 'optimistic best case scenario timeframe' for certification, from what I've heard about MS certification.

Not that them being thorough about bug testing is a bad thing, but in other examples of content being sent for certification its been 3-4 weeks turnaround.

I think whats most important here is that at least now we know they are supporting the game. For whatever reason they have not released any info and have ignored these type of questions on their forums. At least now I know something is coming and don't have to trade in the game.

Oh....good news! Thanks for the update.

It is a long time coming, however....especially considering how unbearably laggy online play usually is.

CajoleJuice said:
I'm pretty sure DA thinks COD4 can replace anything and everything.

Including YOU!

Hey TF2 is great but people move onto other experiences when the game is such an utter lag fest. Hell, I put 25 hours into TF2 in the first week.

New Maps will help too.

Dartastic

Maybe this would matter if anyone was actually playing the thing. I jumped online today, and there were less than 50 people playing, total. I really want to play it too. I'm probably going to wind up picking up TF2 for PC, which sucks because that's another 30 bucks, gone. =(

chase

Glad to hear about the menu bugs being fixed and netcode improvements.

Hopefully there'll be a new CTF map.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Pretty shitty that it takes 2 goddamn months to put out a patch.
Most if not all players have moved onto CoD4 by now.

A sad truth. I'll go back to tf2 though if it gets more maps and support. TF2 is really well balanced and I like the faster, arcadey gameplay.

Did anyone expect Valve to NOT support a game they made?

If there is any company that you can trust when it comes to supporting their games, it is Valve.

Shamrock

Banned
snack said:

If there is any company that you can trust when it comes to supporting their games, it is Valve.

I always believed valve was going to support their game. However they do a really bad job of letting people know that. 1000's of people already traded the game because it was kind of a mess online. Had Valve reacted quicker and got a message like this out to the community then maybe more people hold off trading it in and wait for the patch.

It's kind of obvious valve is not used to the console market because they should know if a game is buggy and no one gives any answers about it being fixed then the community trades the game in for store credit. PC gamers don't really have that option where a purchase is more permanent.

Kingpen

wow, holy shit is this good timing.... I've been really down on team fortress 2 so much the past few days from dealing with the lag that I was contemplating selling the game. Glad they are patching it again, as I think when it is lag free, it is one of the funnest multiplayer FPS out there...

I'll just wait it out for the patch...

Slavik81

BeeDog said:
So I gather the maps will be free for PC and released when they're done (like DoD:S), and priced DLC for 360?
Microsoft cannot charge for DLC that is free on other platforms. They made that policy themselves.

Shamrock

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Microsoft cannot charge for DLC that is free on other platforms. They made that policy themselves.

Well I wonder if that policy was in place before BattleStation Midway came out, because I sure as hell paid for their maps when the PC version got the same content for free.

derder

BenjaminBirdie said:

I think the only people who could see them as the same game are 360 owners. Bit of a pickle, I'd say.

h3ro

snack said:

Who is going to be doing support for the PS3 version?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Edag Plata said:
I don't think 360 owners have to worry about being the ones who are shafted.

Getting a little less shafted than someone else doesn't mean you're not being shafted too.

Mashing

Patches. I never thought I'd see the day console games have to be patched to fix bugs.

I suppose you could argue that it's better than not fixing the bugs, but then I would say to that: fix them during development and QA.

Sounds good although i've given up hope for a decent TF2 experience on the 360. The fanbase has played it, and there was a time where everyone was hopping on to give it a try. A lot of the guys just saw the lag, said holy shit and just went on to enjoy the other parts of The Orange Box and played other multiplayer games. Hopefully this fixes it though. I've never understood how devs could release a game with such horrific lag. It seems like it would be so easy to test.

epmode

Mashing said:
Patches. I never thought I'd see the day console games have to be patched to fix bugs.
Stop being dumb.

It's a competitive, class-based multiplayer game. If you can't figure out why a game like that needs patches..

Foil

Good timing, I just picked up The Orange Box for 360. Guess I'll wait for this to hit before jumping online in TF2.

h3ro

Mashing said:

I suppose you could argue that it's better than not fixing the bugs, but then I would say to that: fix them during development and QA.

Blame the interwebs... its like a crutch to game devs since they know that they can send out whatever they have and can work on a patch later on... for further reference, see: windows operating system...

I really wanted to pick this up for PS3, looks like I'm gonna get this for 360 though...

svenuce

Team Fortress on anything other than a PC is blasphemy. :)

I'm not sure when the last time I played an official Valve map and I play almost every night. Community created content FTW!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mashing said:

This is online stuff, buddy, and there is only so much Beta testing can show you. Just look at Halo 3, they had the Beta back in the Summer, but the melee and mauler are still not fixed.

You can't predict what will happen once you've got your shit out there.

Mashing said:

For single player offline, you're right.....but MP is a completely different thing.

Slavik81

Mashing said:
Go buy a Wii. It's the only console that hasn't tried to become more like the PC.
Sadly, you guys tended to get most of the bad parts of PC gaming without many of the best parts.

For those of you who don't know, every Thursday, the GAFers get together to play TF2 on 360. Check out the Online Forum for info and to get in on the action.

SnakeXs said:
Getting a little less shafted than someone else doesn't mean you're not being shafted too.

True, I did play the 360 version of TF2 and it was pretty bad, sometimes it was great, other times it was the worst lag I've experienced on XBL. I know what you mean though.

SilvaHalo

Banned
Dartastic said:
, and there were less than 50 people playing, total.

bullshit, I played early today and there were a shit ton of people playing...TF2 simply has a retarded way of finding and displaying matches

Top Bottom