• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese prefectural and municipal flags are the coolest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

THE COOLEST

wM0sx4X.png

They are an excellent representation of Japan aesthetics with its mix of traditional inspiration and modern design. They are mostly based off of mon (family emblems) commonly used in ancient times, and have a mix of distinctive colors. I'm impressed that they all manage to share a similar design, yet are also very unique and striking. They also manage to incorporate something about the place into the design as well.

Here are just a few neat ones. Anything inside of ( ) is stuff I copied from Wikipedia.

Ishikawa Prefecture
Fcq7FE5.png

You can probably watch an F-Zero race here. (The mon is a stylised form of its name in kanji, 石川 (Ishikawa). It also represents the stylised map of the prefecture.)

Kyoto City
LB9F00E.png

I totally believe an emperor used to live here after looking at that flag.

Osaka Prefecture
1G1tSic.png

This gets points for how many layers of subtext this flag has. (The blue stands for cleanness, freshness and intelligence and also represents the sky and sea due to Ōsaka City having both an airport and seaport. The blue also represents Ōsaka's nickname water city, due to having many rivers and facing two seas. The mon represents calabash, the symbol of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Circles also mean the letter O.)

Date City
wTstrOT.jpg

The ancestral home of the Date clan, and its most famous member's influence can easily be seen in this flag.

Uozu City
S3A5rb5.jpg

More flags should incorporate NEON GREEN.

Okayama Prefecture
pJW3Fjx.png

There's gotta be a Gundam modeled after this. (Stylized kanji of 岡 (oka). The simplified version uses the white symbol instead of gold.)

Miyazaki City
vl8Gm3w.png

Great color combo.

Kagoshima City
xmudYFy.png

More flags really need volcanoes.

Ibaraki Prefecture
R0oZvwT.png

This one just looks cool. (The prefectural flower rose on blue field. Blue stands for the Pacific Ocean and Mount Tsukuba.)

Here is a link to the prefectural flags.

If you wanna go deep in the rabbit hole, you can check out the many, many municipal flags.

Zombine

Banned
Man...these flags are incredible. I would actually take pride in my city and where I come from if they looked like that. I would fly my colors on my mech proudly.

Timbuktu

It's definitely one of the coolest flag designs. They actually still use it for the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force.

Shame it brings with it such horrible associations.

As others said, those flags are better than you get for Pokemon or Naruto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom