• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

If the Switch can surpass the Wii U's hardware sales, I don't see why not.

MK8 outsold Double Dash already and that was on a fraction of the userbase.

Oh god teenage me would've gone nuts for this.

Switch will likely be at over 25% of Wii U's install base before Summer, and over half of it by the end of the year.. My guess is MK8DX will have matched MK8's sales within less than 18 months.

If that WSJ report of 16m units being manufactured in FY17 is true, and you add up the 2.4m units sold in March, then it's very possible they get near that 18.4 million target by next April, though likely a good amount less accounting for the delay between production and shipment. That would likely mean >10-13m by the end of the calendar year, which would basically be matching Wii U's LTD.

That's assuming they continue to sell out immediately and supply never catches up with demand, which I guess would be the best case scenario and of course not guaranteed. I think 50% Wii U's LTD by the end of 2017 is a quite likely scenario, and more is probably likely too.

Neiteio

I'm going to try stealing one of those shopping carts, and their employees will give chase in their own shopping carts with sirens and piranha plants

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Total number of Target stores - 1,806
Target stores participating in this initiative - 650+
% of Target stores participating - 36+%

Calm Mind

I'm going to try stealing one of those shopping carts, and their employees will give chase in their own shopping carts with sirens and piranha plants

Be sure to give them the slip.

latest

udivision

I guess there's no reason for Nintendo not to treat this like the "Next Big Thing" for them... because it is, and it's going to be a sales monster.

Going from the Wii U to the Switch is one of the weirdest hardware transitions.

While I imagine it'll do well, being labeled as a re-release might not sit too well as a new entry would.
It'll be an evergreen title, but I'm not sure if it'll outsell Wii U's best selling game so easily since it already sold 8M units.
Depends on how big Switch gets, I imagine.

While I imagine it'll do well, being labeled as a re-release might not sit too well as a new entry would.
It'll be an evergreen title, but I'm not sure if it'll outsell Wii U's best selling game so easily since it already sold 8M units.

It's a new release to many people. It can easily outdo 8 million.

TS-08

Being a rerelease does have an effect, but that effect is largely negated by releasing on a more popular system with a ton of content. The Switch doesn't have to even be that big to think Deluxe will easily pass the original. Even if it sells 30 million in its lifetime (which would not be good and I think it will do much better), the Switch will still be at nearly 20 million more units sold than the Wii U. That's a lot of people who didn't buy 8.

This is the game that showcases how the Switch's hardware is unique and improved, probably moreso than any other game coming. You have:

- portable HD Mario Kart
- instant out of the box split screen multiplayer
-- at home
-- on the go/at a friends house
- traditional console style online kart
- local wireless (ad-hoc) play with multiple Switches, super quick and easy Mario Kart LAN parties
- optional motion/tilt controls with all controllers

I think this will be the #1 selling Switch game ever, unless a MK9 comes during this Switch's lifetime which I doubt. As long as the Switch continues to sell well this will sell very well alongside it.

It will also get a huge boost by being the obvious bundle game this holiday (and beyond likely).

Though people like us on Gaf know that MK8D is a re-release, I really wonder how it'll look to new customers. For all intents and purposes, Nintendo is acting like this is a brand new game.

KingBroly

Banned
ToysR'Us had a pretty nice Mario Kart 8 Deluxe display a couple of weeks back, but Target is lapping them with this promo.

We need a new Polygon chart. Switch has the lowest install-base of any Nintendo hardware to get a Mario Kart, thus it will be the lowest selling Mario Kart game. /s

Let's see if I can channel my inner Polygon

~2.5 million Switch sales
~MK8 had a 70% attach rate on Wii U
- Factor in it's a Port
~900k copies sold lifetime

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Jesus, Nintendo is promoting the re-release 100× more than the original release.

I dunno about that. Mario Kart 8 had a happy meal promotion, which is about as big as you can get, plus Nintendo was giving out free games for purchasing Mario Kart 8 as well, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

I dream of a future where most gamers have a Switch, and starting Mario Kart LAN tournaments becomes a casual thing.

I feel like you're overestimating Nintendo's appeal to the average videogame player.

Anyone know if there's a list of Target stores that have this overlay?

I dunno about that. Mario Kart 8 had a happy meal promotion, which is about as big as you can get, plus Nintendo was giving out free games for purchasing Mario Kart 8 as well, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

I feel like you're overestimating Nintendo's appeal to the average videogame player.

That free games deal was amazing

modsbox

Come on, let's not act like Nintendo's entire marketing strategy and campaign for the Wii wasn't completely on point.

They completely dropped the ball with the Wii U though.

That's fair. I still think the device sold itself more than they nailed it with marketing. The name for example was and still is horrible.

And since then? man it has been rough. 3DS naming and launch was a mess. 2DS as a product was further evidence of that. Wii U was a total disaster of course, New 3DS both the product and the naming was nearly as bad. Nintendo had really been on a roll of awful marketing, so the fact that Switch has been so good is a shocking (and welcome) turn of events.

sam12

How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again

That's fair. I still think the device sold itself more than they nailed it with marketing. The name for example was and still is horrible.

And since then? man it has been rough. 3DS naming and launch was a mess. 2DS as a product was further evidence of that. Wii U was a total disaster of course, New 3DS both the product and the naming was nearly as bad. Nintendo had really been on a roll of awful marketing, so the fact that Switch has been so good is a shocking (and welcome) turn of events.

PLEASE don't respond to this derailment of the topic.

Top Bottom