• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral Montreal (Army of Two) closing? [EA Layoffs at LA/Mont, Comments On NextGen]

Megasoum

Banned
According to an article in La Presse (the biggest french newspaper in Québec) the Visceral branch of EA Montreal was hit with a wave of layoffs and might actually be closing down.

No numbers on the layoffs yet but the news just broke so more details coming soon.

Only source is in French, will update once I find other sources.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/medias-et-telecoms/201302/21/01-4624065-electronic-arts-pourrait-fermer-un-studio-a-montreal.php

EDIT:

Confirmation from Frank Gibeau on the EA Blog

http://www.ea.com/news/transition-is-our-friend

Yesterday Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4, signaling that after seven years, gamers will be treated to a massive leap in technology, creativity and fun. In the months ahead, we expect more announcements on new platforms and partnerships.

For EA’s creative teams, this transition comes as no surprise. We’ve been investing and innovating on new technology for months. Console partners who have seen our early work agree, EA’s next-gen software is nothing short of astonishing. At a GameStop company meeting earlier this week, we gave 500 store managers a sneak peak at Battlefield 4. The game received a huge ovation and thousands of fans reacted to a single enthusiastic Tweet by GameStop’s CEO.

And every bit as impressive as the console initiative is the way our teams have pivoted to capture the mobile phenomenon. EA has established a clear leadership position on both the iOS and Android systems and we’ve set new standards for business models and gameplay. The Simpsons: Tapped Out has been a runaway success and next week we will release Real Racing 3, a free-to-play masterpiece from our Firemonkeys studio, with graphics many people mistake for a current generation console experience.

EA’s leadership on these high-growth platforms allows us to retain and attract the industry’s best talent. Thousands of our existing employees have been retrained and redeployed to work on the new platforms and initiatives. But when it is not possible to redeploy a team, we soften the tough decisions with assistance. This week we let some people go in Los Angeles, Montreal as well as in some smaller locations. These are good people and we have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease their transition to a new job.

Console transitions are a complex and challenging experience. I’ve helped navigate several and agree with an old saying we have at EA: Transition is our friend. All the trend lines are converging to reward the creative and financial investments we have made in mobile and console technology. We have never been more ready or more excited about what comes next.

DTKT

Le géant américain du jeu vidéo Electronic Arts sabre dans son personnel montréalais. La Presse a appris que l'un des trois studios du groupe à Montréal, Visceral Games, faisait l'objet de réduction de personnel importantes aujourd'hui.

La nature des coupes et le nombre d'employés affectés restent pour l'instant inconnus. Une fermeture complète ne serait pas écartée.

Les employés du studio ont récemment participé à la création du jeu Deadspace 3, lancé le 5 février. Ils doivent normalement aussi mettre la touche finale à Army of Two : The Devil's Cartel, le troisième opus d'une série entièrement conçue à Montréal. La publication de ce jeu est prévue pour le 26 mars prochain, ce qui laisse croire que sa production vient de se terminer.

Les deux autres unités d'Electronic Arts à Montréal, Bioware et EA Mobile, ne seraient pas affectées par ces coupures.

Electronic Arts a annoncé à la fin janvier des résultats financiers inférieurs aux attentes pour le 3e trimestre et réduit ses prévisions pour pour l'année entière.

EA Mobile and Bioware seem to be intact. I guess that DS3 didn't do as well as they thought.

Not much info.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
EA Mobile and Bioware seem to be intact. I guess that DS3 didn't do as well as they thought.

Not much info.

In all these cases...

...it seems like it's the guys making the sales projections that should be fired.

NotLiquid

Yeah and they worked on Dead Space 3 also.

Urgh, I guess EA really weren't beating around the bush when they talked about the game needing to sell a ton of copies.

Also I'm pretty sure the only Army of Two game that Visceral worked on is the upcoming one. Crap franchise but their involvement has generally been minimal.

Visceral Montreal made Army of Two.

Visceral Redwood Shores primarily makes Dead Space.

Ah so two different branches of Visceral exist? Well then, I stand corrected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is quite unfortunate. Best of luck to those effected.

Not much info.

Visceral Montreal was mostly making Army of Two.

Visceral Redwood Shores primarily made Dead Space.

In all these cases...

...it seems like it's the guys making the sales projections that should be fired.

but Visceral probably asked for the budget.

Without those optimistic sales projections they never would have gotten the budget.

Welcome to AAA game development, where you only survive if you win the mega-hit lottery.

Kazerei

Banned
Translation-ish...

The american videogame giant Electronic Arts is slashing its Montreal staff. La Presse has learned that one of the three EA studios in Montreal, Visceral Games, was the object of important staff reductions today.

The nature of the cuts and the number of employees affected are for the moment unknown. A complete closure is not out of the question.

The employees of the studio recently participated in the creation of the game Deadspace 3, released on February 5. They are supposedly putting the finishing touches on Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, the third entry in a series entirely created in Montreal. The release of this game is scheduled for March 26, which lets us believe that the production has just ended.

The two other EA studios in Montreal, Bioware and EA Mobile, will not be affected by these cuts.

EA announced at the end of January financial results below expectations for the 3rd quarter and reduced its forecasts for the fiscal year.

More details to come.

Sounds like they're done with Army of Two, so they got the axe

The Game comes outnext month EA must be really confidant about it.

when will the madness end, seesm this type of thing is mroe likely next gen.

anyone know what is up with Bioware victory, not much has been said about generals 2 sine the VGA announcement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah so two different branches of Visceral exist? Well then, I stand corrected.

There were five at one point, but one was only like five people (Visceral Los Angeles), one was twenty people and got shut down with job offers to move to Redwood Shores (Visceral Melbourne), and now another one (full studio) has been closed (Visceral Montreal).

Visceral Redwood Shores and Visceral Shanghai still exist.

Haunted

Army of Two is a terrible franchise and the new game looks to be the worst offender yet, but it's never good to hear people lose their jobs in this industry. Here's hoping everyone lands on their feet and manages to get to work on something better next.

Darklord

Banned
Maybe EA should stop fucking up their franchises in this horrible idea of making everything sell like Call of Duty? All their games now have this awful EA executive taint to them.

Duxxy3

Just noticed that Dead Space 3 came out 2 weeks ago.

Usually if a game sells well EA will issue a press release within the first week.

Combine that with it already being widely available for $39 and this studio closing and... I don't think we are going to see a Dead Space 4. I think the franchise is kaput.

For one day, yeah.

Don't read into it.

It's STILL available for $39.

antitrop

Maybe EA should stop fucking up their franchises in this horrible idea of making everything sell like Call of Duty? All their games now have this awful EA executive taint to them.
Are you trying to say the first game in this franchise that was released five years ago didn't?

They didn't fuck up Army of Two, it was fucked from the beginning. Not a terrible game, but certainly not very noteworthy to begin with.

DTKT

My fear is the Montreal gaming bubble bursting with subventions getting cut. It's going to be a really bad day what that happens.

fvng

That's sad, hope they find jobs soon. GAFers who demand people in this industry lose their jobs be damned

Top Bottom