• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my Pokemon cards ever be worth something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my brother collected Pokemon cards like crazy when they first came out and we ended up collecting the whole first edition. Today I was cleaning out my basement and happened to come across all of our cards in perfect condition sitting in four black binders. Just curious if any other GAF'ers have their cards and do you think if I hold onto them for say another twenty years will I be able to make a small fortune?!

louis89

I thought I was being clever collecting them when I was a kid thinking they'd be valuable one day. But now I think that because there are so many millions of them in the world, they'll never be worth anything, in our lifetimes at least.

Smitty3000 said:

I still have the Japanese Naked Misty card, in it's protective sleeve. Do you have any super rare ones like that?

I could sweeten the deal with a bit of licky licky.

edit: This one!
mistystears.jpg

MisterHero

The monetary value may not be much, but the sentimental value will go through the roof.

But I wouldn't say they're safety deposit box fodder. I think too many of them were made to be truly valuable.

Rare collectibles like the 1st Issue of comics from Superman to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles exist between 100 to a few thousand copies.

Someday I'm going to have a vault like The Addams Family or Richie Rich and put them in there for nostalgia purposes.

I have all the first editions from WotC and the newer ones along with many of the promos including some of the very rare tournament cards all in excellent condition. I still maintain my collection out of habit. :lol

I think in the future, cards in good condition may be worth quite a bit as vintage toys but who knows? I say hold onto them unless you really need to make a quick buck.

Nope definitely not going to sell them since I'm doing good financially and like one of you said they already have a shit load of sentimental value to me, my brother and I became extremely close when Pokemon was popular.

So I'm going to hold onto them for as long as I can, right now complete sets go on eBay for about $130 bucks and that's basically nothing so lets hope that changes say 30 years from now. :lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dabookerman said:
I still have the Japanese Naked Misty card, in it's protective sleeve. Do you have any super rare ones like that?

I could sweeten the deal with a bit of licky licky.

edit: This one!
mistystears.jpg
I still have this card.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Teh Hamburglar said:
no, they wont. They've made millions of them so unless 99.9999% of them are destroyed...
its possible.
a3ed82.jpg

had a standard print run like any other magic the gathering rare. your average run of the mill copy will cost you around $1500. some mint alpha ediiton copies have been sold for an excess of $10,000.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Teh Hamburglar said:
They've made millions of them so unless 99.9999% of them are destroyed...

Most of them will be. They're pieces of paper basically, and most people are going to get rid of them in some fashion. Most people know they're worthless now, so they'll trash them or something.

equap

Banned
Pandaman said:
its possible.
a3ed82.jpg

had a standard print run like any other magic the gathering rare. your average run of the mill copy will cost you around $1500. some mint alpha ediiton copies have been sold for an excess of $10,000.
WTF?!

ZealousD said:
Most of them will be. They're pieces of paper basically, and most people are going to get rid of them in some fashion. Most people know they're worthless now, so they'll trash them or something.

whole reason the comic industry almost died in the 90s was because of speculators. Peole bought them because they thought theyd be valuable. So they just made more comics to meet demand. Result was way more comics out there than there should have been which devalued them.

Pokemon cards are not high art. They don't mean anything to anyone. I'd be amazed if anyone actually would be willing to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for them 20/30/40/50 ears in the future.

Cant0na

Banned
no.

i gave all of them away to my younger cousin (who probably threw em away)

kept my favorite ones, sad, i know

StuBurns

Banned
Reminds me of that scene in Garden State when he's talking about living off his investment in desert storm trading cards.

And no, I very much doubt they're worth fuck all, certainly not what they cost you initially.

Oh, and the naked Misty, hawt

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
equap said:
not just once either, its happened a few times.

some people have money to burn.
my black lotus cost me about $10. i bought an old beta card, sanded off the image, borrowed a laser printer and waxed the card. presto. it works alot better for newer cards, but no ones ever called me on it.

Geneijin

equap said:

Yeah, I can vouch for that. Back when I use to play MTG and if you visit the national or regional tournaments, you'll usually find at least one Black Lotus at a kiosk there for roughly that amount or more.

Calcaneus

I'm glad I still have my cards, I have this box full of crap I loved as a kid. Whenever I go through it, I just remember how much me and my friends used to love Pokemon. I'll probably never sell them just because of the memories they hold.

But if anyone is willing to take if off my hands for $50.......

Ravager61

Pandaman said:
its possible.

Its worth so much because there aren't that many left. Probably around 10,000 total printed 16 years ago. Now consider how many of those were destroyed between then and now. Now consider how many people actually play magic (hint: a lot). That coupled with it being the most powerful card in magic, is why its worth so much.

/nerd

squinters

astigmatic
As much as I loved the show and games, I never really cared about the trading card game. But I still accumulated a whole box of probably cheap cards. If they ever do get rare though, I'll be one of the first to sell them.

Forkball

I still have a huge binder of them. I will never sell them since they aren't worth much and I spent a lot of my time and little cash I had as a kid collecting them. I want to pass them down to my kid, who will undoubtedly try to sell them.

dark_chris

I still have my pokeman cards.
And yeah, they have sentimental value (such as beating a school bully and winning the charizard, my dad buying me my first pack and getting me blastoize, promo cards my brother won from losers from his games, etc), I can think of alot of ways these mean alot.

Sadly, I think thats as much worth as those cards are gonna have unless you ebay it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
dp9rfr.jpg

This is still the best looking Pokemon card ever. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Wrong, I say!

Cheerilee

It's a balance between how rare they were in the first place, how many cards are destroyed, and how many kids grow up to regret destroying them.

They seem to be worth very little now, and I wouldn't think it's a good investment to go out and buy them in the hopes they'll go up in price (it could be, you never know), but seeing as you already have them, and you're probably the type to regret losing them, then by all means, hang onto them, otherwise you'll risk becoming one of those people who pays through the nose to get them back later in life.

I'm wondering if one day when I'm 70 or something I'll see someone bring in some Pokemon cards to the Antiques Road Show. That might actually be the end of me.

MisterHero

My favorite card is my 1st-Edition Rocket's Mewtwo

first Pokemon card with 3 moves, mwahahaha

I might have a second one but I haven't looked at my collection in a few years :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom