• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

Thanks though i should have clarified i was thinking more in terms of PC VNs that had ported to PSP (Corpse Party kinda counts though).

Official localization for those is hard, since companies were afraid people would just download and play the game on a PC, piracy and so forth. Regarding fan-translations, I guess there is Planetarian.

Yuuichi

And it makes me wonder why they felt they needed 60 days.

I there were two reasons from what I heard.
1: Worries about actually hitting the goal (it's true ヽ(´ー`)ノ)
2: Wanting to give people the holidays as a time where they could get money, more or less.

In retrospect they should have just put it off for 30 days and launched it over the holidays, but I don't think anyone but a few of us saw 140k in 24h as likely. Although to be fair, I was under the impression that it was going to be a roughly 80k goal with 140k stretch for physical, but I digress.

I also hopped on board for a physical copy and physical OST, probably nothing else unless the T-Shirt is god tier or they add some other cool physical stuff.

1: Worries about actually hitting the goal (it's true ヽ(´ー`)ノ)
2: Wanting to give people the holidays as a time where they could get money, more or less.

In retrospect they should have just put it off for 30 days and launched it over the holidays, but I don't think anyone but a few of us saw 140k in 24h as likely. Although to be fair, I was under the impression that it was going to be a roughly 80k goal with 140k stretch for physical, but I digress.

I also hopped on board for a physical copy and physical OST, probably nothing else unless the T-Shirt is god tier or they add some other cool physical stuff.

Apparently the launch timing of the kickstarter was set by Visual Arts. I wonder if they had input on the 60 days too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone but a few of us saw 140k in 24h as likely

I guess I'm the only one who didn't underestimate Clannad/VNM fans? >_> I knew it would hit the goal, and quickly once word got out.

I really do hope that Grisaia gets pushed back until January, because having 3 Kickstarters run at the same time is pretty rough on wallets.

Yep they need to tone down the kickstarters for now , because i honnestly can't afford more

( upgraded my WAs kickstarter ) + clannad physical get.
If they do another, as much as i might want it , i won't be able to contribute.

Yuuichi

I forgot to mention this as well, but this should be some big news for some people. Akabiesoft 2 recently announced their next title, ぼくの一人戦争 (VNDB link, probably SFW) [Boku no Hitori Sensou, literally translates to "My One Man War"]. The real point of interest is that it's being written by Looseboy, who many of you may have read before, as he wrote the scenarios for G-Senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni. I haven't actually had time to visit the site yet (AK still blocks gaijin and I've been busy all morning) so I'll update with more details as I get them. Release seems planned for Febuary next year.

I also need to stop making dumb typos without noticing them.

Hmm, the new beta for Super Health Club was just released and it looks like it introduced a bunch of new issues, which is sad because this was meant to fix the ones from the first beta. I feel bad for the programers because it seems like they are doing their best, but I think they may need to get some outside help or something. I really don't mind waiting if it means the game will be in the proper state when it comes out. The artwork is still gorgeous and I really want the game to do well, but they need to buckle down here and get things in order.

The new website also has a variety of problems. :/

Yep they need to tone down the kickstarters for now , because i honnestly can't afford more

( upgraded my WAs kickstarter ) + clannad physical get.
If they do another, as much as i might want it , i won't be able to contribute.

Same here. This is a brutal time of the year to do so many Kickstarters.

Granted, I was going to support Clannad no matter when or what and I know I will get another digital/physical copy now or later, I don't know if I can support WAS or not yet.

Yuuichi

Sooo
are we *ever* getting that angel beats visual novel?

I talked about that a page back (for me, at least; 100 posts per page forever)

Speaking of Key, they've been silent for quite some time now about the briefly publicized Angel Beats game, on which I have some interesting tidbits of info about that. There was some interesting, albeit rather buried news on the game way back at the Sekai panel where Clannad got announced, in that the scenario was supposed to be done by the start of September, but that there were various other things to take care of as well. The site still hasn't been updated, but of all things Dengeki G's magazine is getting some promo material for Angel Beats in the December issue, which makes me wonder if they're planning a relaunch there. G's isn't traditionally a PC/Eroge mag though, which also raises some questions, but I would expect to see more about some of that very shortly.

I'm reading Hollow Ataxaria and the lack of voice acting is taking a lot from the experience. I guess it's strange because these characters are all voiced elsewhere and they don't really make many visual novels without voices anymore, but it's absence here is really glaring.

Waxwing

Just finished Steins;Gate. It was good, though nearly all of the surprises
were telegraphed or obvious

As far as Cartagra- is it worth it for a straight up mystery lover? Does it all make good sense in the end without being predictable? Or should I go straight to Kara no Shojo?

I'm reading Hollow Ataxaria and the lack of voice acting is taking a lot from the experience. I guess it's strange because these characters are all voiced elsewhere and they don't really make many visual novels without voices anymore, but it's absence here is really glaring.

Are voices going to be added at some point?

Yuuichi

Just finished Steins;Gate. It was good, though nearly all of the surprises
were telegraphed or obvious

As for S;G
You're both right and wrong, the more attention you pay to what's going on the easier it is to figure out the big surprises. That said, it's not just a game about the surprises, but about the ramifications of your actions and learning from your mistakes. It's still a human drama at it's core, and hopefully that's what got through.

As for F/HA, Vita version comes out this month with voices, but no one (to my knowledge) has hacked a vita game before, but if it gets ported to something else or someone is really fucking dedicated and does a 1:1 lineout recording with only voices on, then no, the PC version will not be getting voices anytime soon.

There are voices in the Vita port, and there's been some talk of trying rip them out and put them in the PC game, but it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

As far as Cartagra- is it worth it for a straight up mystery lover? Does it all make good sense in the end without being predictable? Or should I go straight to Kara no Shojo?
I haven't played KnS, so I can't speak to that. As to Cartagra, it all makes sense in the end. A lot of it is predictable, but I was surprised by some things. I think it's a pretty decent mystery story, but nothing really exceptional.

Waxwing

As for S;G
You're both right and wrong, the more attention you pay to what's going on the easier it is to figure out the big surprises. That said, it's not just a game about the surprises, but about the ramifications of your actions and learning from your mistakes. It's still a human drama at it's core, and hopefully that's what got through.

On Steins;Gate
You're very right- the human aspects of the story work well- especially like the Suzuha and Mayuri endings. It's one of the better VNs I've read. It's just that people often bucket this in with stuff like Umineko and Ever17, which doesn't seem quite right.

I haven't played KnS, so I can't speak to that. As to Cartagra, it all makes sense in the end. A lot of it is predictable, but I was surprised by some things. I think it's a pretty decent mystery story, but nothing really exceptional.

Hmm...yeah, seems to be getting middle of the road reception. I'm a Phoenix Wright/999/Umineko/Agatha Christie kind of person- i like tight and unpredictable....not sure what to do. If it's really weak, it might put me off of giving the writers a second chance with KnS.

Sakura Spirit is on sale on Steam for 66% off AND the 5th top seller of the day. Certainly not the best VN out there, but for 3 bucks and change you could help support VNs on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313740/?snr=1_4_4__43
header.jpg

Shiina

Hmm...yeah, seems to be getting middle of the road reception. I'm a Phoenix Wright/999/Umineko/Agatha Christie kind of person- i like tight and unpredictable....not sure what to do. If it's really weak, it might put me off of giving the writers a second chance with KnS.

True End is fairly good, the rest is so-so. Even then, the true ending feels like a more amateurish version of Kara no Shoujo.
What you could do is read KnS first and if you enjoyed it enough you could give Cartagra a try. You might end up a little disappointed if you go in with too high expectations into the latter, though.

Quixzlizx

In better news it looks like If My Heart Had Wings is getting a Steam release:

Wasn't the official localization a total hack job? I don't know if I want to support that kind of release financially. And I'm not even talking about removing H-scenes, which I know would be necessary for a Steam release regardless.

Yuuichi

Wasn't the official localization a total hack job? I don't know if I want to support that kind of release financially. And I'm not even talking about removing H-scenes, which I know would be necessary for a Steam release regardless.

From what I understand, it's not a localization so much as it is a translation, and it really suffers as a result. I know several people who've enjoyed it, but you certainly need to know what you're getting in to. The original release was completely censored as well, as it earned an ESRB T. There's a restoration patch, but I have no idea what the fuck is going on with that any more.

Like you, I decided I wanted nothing to do with their shenanigans, so I just imported a copy instead, and it's a pretty good time from what I played. Would be nice if the box wasn't so goddamn big, but you can't win em all.

I honestly probably won't buy the steam release like I didn't buy the original, I don't really like supporting the butchering of games, even with good intentions.

The translation is horrible.

Quixzlizx

From what I understand, it's not a localization so much as it is a translation, and it really suffers as a result. I know several people who've enjoyed it, but you certainly need to know what you're getting in to. The original release was completely censored as well, as it earned an ESRB T. There's a restoration patch, but I have no idea what the fuck is going on with that any more.

Like you, I decided I wanted nothing to do with their shenanigans, so I just imported a copy instead, and it's a pretty good time from what I played. Would be nice if the box wasn't so goddamn big, but you can't win em all.

I honestly probably won't buy the steam release like I didn't buy the original, I don't really like supporting the butchering of games, even with good intentions.

The translation is horrible.

I also heard that they even censored ridiculous things like kissing scenes. I'm not sure what the point of a romance game is if all of the romance is censored.

cj_iwakura

I have a PS3 copy of Robotics;Notes en route that I got for $18. Looking forward to it.

Does anyone think the last days of the PS3 will mean more VN localizations? Possibly big ones?

cj_iwakura

装甲悪鬼村正;139448896 said:
Oh. Well that's one very mediocre game and the other two can already be had in english ( I think?). I don't think anybody would bother bringing that stuff over.

Both Umi and Higurashi are available, yes(one fan translated, the other 'officially'), but a legit PS3 release would still be great.

Top Bottom