• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

kurbaan

Banned
Update: Now IGN is advertising merchandise for Rockstar

----

So I've been reading the couple of these exclusive IGN previews of GTA5 and they sound more like marketing press releases from Rockstar than a preview from a 3rd party. In fact if Rockstar's marketing tried they probably could not do a better job of marketing the game than IGN is doing right now.

The praise goes even beyond hyperbole because the way they are writing the articles it written as if it's a novel and some blessed human is allowed to take a stroll through heaven and these are his experiences.

Shit like:

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

You honk your horn outside of your buddy’s Vinewood apartment. He walks out and hops in your Aston Martin-ish car. He gets control of your radio. “Put it back on WCTR talk radio, dammit,” you say. “I want to listen to Lazlow.” You drive a couple miles, park, and get out.

To the right, over the ocean, the sun is setting. The sky glows orange as I near the first turn-off. Pulling into a more built-up area of town I’m reminded of the obsessive, incidental detail that amazed me during our first, hands-off demonstration. The cracked roads. The bespoke graffiti lining the walls. The unique shopfronts and billboards littering your line of sight. The city is colourful yet weathered. Living but lived-in. Like Liberty City before it, Los Santos is already making me feel as much like a tourist as a player.

Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it does.

It's kinda amusing to see these IGN "journalists" thing they are some great writes spouting this drivel and how talented they are. I am sure Luke Reilly graduated from College with dreams of being a famous author but now has to spout PR on IGN for publishers thinking he is writing oscar worthy articles.

The what I am most kinda shocked by is that everyone on GAF is eating it up because its about GTA5 instead of calling them on this BS. I am sure GTA5 will be great and it will get it's 11/10 from IGN due to it surpassing Citizen Kane. Although I am sure there will be a huge backlash just like with GTA4.

But I think we should all be embarrassed by how blatant the IGN PR is instead of lapping it up.

Bonus:Preview from our very own

I could feel the sensation rip through my hands as they shake. Flashes accompanied the sound of death, steering directly into the hearts of my foes. Each bullet was accompanied by the calming 'ping' of the bullet casing hitting the ground, almost Newtonian in execution. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and when that action is death, corpses quickly litter the streets. 30 bullets, many dead. My hands are still shaking

TLDR:

SLQJc.gif

Edit: I'm not criticizing the game but the previews since people don't seem to get that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They have these exclusives. It'd be stupid for them to not go balls out.

AlexBasch

IGN doing PR?

My goodness, this is a first.

There's that word again... hyperbole.

Is this now the official word of NeoGAF?
This is officially the worst post in the whole world wide web.

Derrick01

Banned
Same thing they did for GTA IV.

Thankfully Rockstar's released gameplay footage for the first time in the series' history so we won't be blindsided like we were with 4. I'm really confident about 5 thanks to everything that's been shown.

JDSN

Banned
The first part was done by Saint's Rows 3. Oscar-caliber real-time station-switching gaming is already old news.

Dont believe GTAV reviews from any source, well maybe RPS when the PC version is out, they will play the game in their big hotel rooms with reps next do them the whole time, they will get room service and they will fucking love the game because of it, just like last time.

RedStep

Do you think this is embarrassing for Entertainment Weekly?

Review outlets / industry sites are as much about promotion and supporting their chosen field as they are about criticism. That's just how it works.

KalBalboa

Banned
Wow. The GTAV haters are dumping on acclaim for the game before they've even had a chance to pretend they've played it.

Toparaman

Banned
I agree, but it's kind of a moot point, since everyone knows IGN loves its hyperbole when it comes to games with a lot of hype (and marketing dollars). People looking forward to GTAV are just going to go along with it, since it adds to their own hype levels, and people not looking forward to GTAV are going to ignore it.

IGN said:
GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't see the big deal, pretty much every modern gaming publication uses this type of description when talking about a game and how it feels to play it.

And it's not just them, same things happens when entertainment magazines and such talk about filming for a big movie or show.

Getting over IGN is such a good thing. You feel contented and happier instantly.

You'll get there, OP, don't you worry. Just give it time.

Guevara

It's going to be hilarious when GTA5 fails to beat 4 on Metacritic, despite (looking like) being the better game.

Mafro

Sounds about right given they basically acted as official Rockstar PR for their cringeworthy GTA IV review.

It's the perfect word for their preview. IGN makes out that the golf mini game is better than Tiger Woods and the tennis game is better than Smash tennis. That's hyperbole, it's something that should come from the mouth a PR agent...not a "independent" 3rd party games site.

The what I am most kinda shocked by is that everyone on GAF is eating it up because its about GTA5 instead of calling them on this BS. I am sure GTA5 will be great and it will get it's 11/10 from IGN due to it surpassing Citizen Kane. Although I am sure there will be that huge backlash just like with GTA4.

But I think we should all be embarrassed by how blatant the IGN PR is instead of lapping it up.

Someone said this in the last thread and got attacked for it. IGN is a great punching bag until they promote games we're anticipating.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Nothing I have seen has blown me away. Though, GTA 4 was the first and only GTA game I have played, and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't even play more than 2 hours of it.

Muffdraul

This game is review proof and hyperbole proof to me. I knew I was buying it long before I knew anything about it. Don't particularly give a shit if "professional game journalists" can't keep it in their pants.

OP needs this quote

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible.

Fuckin' hilarious.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wow. The GTAV haters are dumping on acclaim for the game before they've even had a chance to pretend they've played it.

As opposed to unconditionally praising everything about the game without even playing it?

Dahbomb

Anytime there's a "world exclusive" or a "world first" coverage... take it with a grain of salt.

It's very rare to see bad first previews in this day and age. Especially when journalists are given a vertical slice of some of the best stuff a game might have to offer.

OP needs this quote

Fuckin' hilarious.

ugh this shit is fucking disgusting. I've been reading game reviews for about 20 years and this kind of stuff is just the worst, IGN being the chief offenders.

My favorite reviews are Gametrailers video reviews. Usually pretty in-line with my own opinions. I also agree with Sessler 99% of the time.

2San

Take 2 has always been pretty scum with who they work with. I remember with the dutch "official playstation magazine" that they wanted a cover, 90+ rating, 2 add pages to release the review before the actual release of the game(san andreas or vice city can't remember).

I'd be highly suspect of any reviews before that actual release.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

If we put up a poll for it, "disingenuous‎" should be up there as well.

On-topic, I've learned to spot fluff from the "review industry" lately and filter it out. No one genuinely has these reactions they're pretending to have.

eznark

Banned
Without previews like this how can Rockstar be confident in giving them an exclusive review? Those clicks need to be earned.

Yeah, the game looks amazing (and I didn't like 4 at all), but this was absurdly written. By the time you read one paragraph, it is all too apparent that it will be a glowing overview of the most-perfectest thing ever (and that is only a slight exaggeration. See: GTA4 reviews).

Top Bottom