• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on GTAIV, Mario Galaxy, game creation and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwings

Banned
level_LEVEL_39_cover_small.jpg

In a recent Interview (done by LEVEL) with Fumito Ueda, he speaks about how he wants to develop games, but he also mentions some other interesting things. Here are some translated parts from this interview done by me.

My highest hope is to entertain people. I know that many points out how emotional my games are, and I see that I can touch a gamers heart by stringing their emotions. To get someone to cry is never a sure option, but if I create an entertaining experience by using that tool then I have succeed

A Strong reason why I choose to develop my games like this is the game mechanics. Ico has to be weak, the boy in Shadow of the Colossus the same way, or you would never be able to identify yourself with them. It is about getting the trustworthiness to the puzzles and the game world. A weak character makes you getting away with a puzzle that seems simple since the game is consistent. A physical strong character just had been able to defeat the colossus with pure muscle strength.

I always want to utilize the maximum technical abilities in my games. Before we develop our games, I try to calculate how close the reality we can get in order to work from that. Reality is really the keyword, then we decide by the actual limits (of the hardware) what kind of game esthetically we will make. I love and hate the technical limits, it is like a catch 22 for me. If we dont have a bar to work from it is hard to do something special out of it. But if we do have a technical bar we can never outdo it. That is why my games have a bit different aesthetic profile.

I get my inspiration from music, books and movies, but most of it from games. I play a lot of games, and I look from a very critical view of the games I play.
Ueda suddenly talks about GTA IV, and he mentions that the biggest problem with the game is the lack of innovative things in the game. The graphic style impresses, but not the base premise, which is exactly the same as the predecessors.

As soon as Udea is done dismissing one of the hottest games this gen as boring it is time for the next one. On the question if he has played Super Mario Galaxy and the celebration to shadow of the colossus as one of the stages implied, Ueda smiles.

-Yes I have played it, it was hard to not to since it was rumored that Miyamoto-san was inspired by me. But I had expected more, that segement, was like the rest of the game not so fun as it could had been. I think the fans made a big deal out of nothing when they said Miyamoto had stolen from me. The thing I am critical over isnt that they didn't borrow anything that isn't unique for my game, but that they didn't make more fun stages out of it.

Ueda thens talks a bit more about his games, but the interview is fucking huge so I am just going to translate some random quotes from it.

The horse riding in SotC is something I have thought about a lot. Many wanted me to add enemies, but I felt that would look too much like other games on the market.

My original intention isn't really to create something artistically , I think that has to do with my own art background. I cannot neglect myself to develop games that I think is beautiful. The strongest driving force is still that the games should be entertaining, exciting and fun to play. If then people think my games are artistically beautiful, then that is the greatest compliment.

To leave something after me, would been very big, but I dont want my games to be in a museum, I rather hope that they will find my games in 100 years and play them. It would been the final proof that I make something timeless. It would been my legacy.

soldat7

The controls for Agro were excellent; I hope that's what he's been thinking about...

And what level in SMG is he talking about? I've beaten both games (SMG and SotC) within the past 3 months and I can't think of what level he's talking about...

Edit: The robot level? That's a stretch...

GhaleonQ

Tee-hee. I wonder if it's intellectually respectable to dissent on Super Mario Galaxy being the best 3-d Super Mario, now. I bet he doesn't think the music is excellent, either.

"The thing I am critical over is that they didn't borrow anything that isn't unique for my game, but that they didn't make more fun stages out of it."

Did you mean "critical over isn't that..."?

jibblypop

Banned
Dani said:
He shits on GTA4 and Mario Galaxy, well only a few people would dare... :lol

Maybe he is jealous that most people have actually heard of those 2 games but not the games he makes. (I love his games)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is he referring to Galaxy as a whole "not as fun as it should have been" or only the segments inspired by his games?

jibblypop said:
Maybe he is jealous that most people have actually heard of those 2 games but not the games he makes.

:lol It's a funny post because it's stupid.

Jinfash said:
Is he referring to Galaxy as a whole "not as fun as it should have been" or only the segments inspired by his games?

Probably the whole thing. Thank god for that musical score, or it would have been thoroughly panned.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
@soldat7: the level with a planet-sized robot firing bullet bills at you, I think.

I expect many strange posts coming from those who think Ueda is a genius and SMG an incredible game, even though he essentially said that SMG did not feature as many SotC-esque stages as he would have liked.

In fairness though, the translation looks fishy in some places. I think there's a negative form missing somewhere.

"The thing I am critical over is that they didn't borrow anything that isn't unique for my game, but that they didn't make more fun stages out of it."

is that supposed to be

"The thing I am critical over isn't that they borrowed anything unique ffrom my game, but that they didn't make more fun stages out of it."

Sorry your translation is kind of hard to understand. Thanks though.

Don't get all bent out of shape from his comments... fun is subjective. I personally found SMG to be not as fun as everyone makes it out to be.

firex said:
Well, considering the shitfest that was SotC, I guess he's an expert on games that aren't so fun.
I thought SoTC was going to be the greatest game I ever played on PS2 like some would keep on saying but I guess they are wrong. SoTC was a good game but not a great game.

Issun23

This is the SMG bit:

- Of course I have played it, I couldn't resist after hearing that Miyamoto-san was inspired by me. But I have to say that I had expected a little more. That particular level (and the rest of the game) wasn't as entertaining as it could have been. I think the press and the fans made too much of a fuss about him (Miyamoto) borrowing from me. And the atmosphere on the internet became a little heavy. What I'm critical against isn't the fact that they borrowed something that actually isn't even originally from me, but the fact that they didn't make anything more interesting out of it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AltogetherAndrews said:
Probably the whole thing.
GhaleonQ said:
"was, like the rest of the game, not..."

That's what I figured from reading the OP, but I was asking if it could have been a mistranslated bit (since his statement underwent two translations :p)

I quite like his games but he should probably stick to making his games and let that do the talking rather than talking about other games that are far more popular than his and sell quite a bit more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really didn't get a SotC vibe from Galaxy at all, even the scaling of larger objects, simply because the platforming and gravitation effects made for a totally different and more free experience, at least in comparison.

This is actually the first time I've heard anybody relate SotC to Galaxy at all. Twilight Princess and SotC plenty of times, sure, but Galaxy?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
firex said:
Well, considering the shitfest that was SotC, I guess he's an expert on games that aren't so fun.

Agreed.

He must have disliked Galaxy because the controls were too fluid and the frame rate was too solid.

Agreed on GTAIV...actually I agree with quite alot of what he says...

Personally, SOTC impressed me more than pretty much any game has this gen... Galaxy looks cool enough to me, but I lost interest in Mario games when they hit 3d for some reason. 64 bored me...

It doesn't hurt that his games are easily some of the best from an artistic standpoint...

Jirotrom

I friggen loved SOTC and I love SMG, but its clear that SMG is the better game, SOTC cant touch the polish in that game.

farnham

Banned
there were claims that miyamoto stole from the ico team..? never heard of em

is this situation something like insomniac claiming that mario galaxy totally is a rip off of ratchet and clank (and then miyamoto said that he does not know ratched)

it seems like not only the sony marketing department but also the software developing department is still stuck in the ps2 era

MrHicks said:
this man is the biggest genius in gaming today

maybe if shinji mikami, miyamoto shigeru, ken levine and will wright suddenly died a mysterious death..

Ugh, is it not possible to have a discussion of a game's merits without comparing it to another? Him saying that he didn't think SMG was as entertaining as it was made out to be has no bearing on how fun SotC is. GTA4's sales have little bearing on how fun it is to an individual.

-viper-

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I quite like his games but he should probably stick to making his games and let that do the talking rather than talking about other games that are far more popular than his and sell quite a bit more.
Because this is always the case;

Sales = Quality

Right?

Stoney Mason said:

yeah, sales-age at its finest.

guess stephen king could shit on nitzsche since he's more popular and his books sell quite a bit more.

klee123

neverknowsbest said:
Ugh, is it not possible to have a discussion of a game's merits without comparing it to another? Him saying that he didn't think SMG was as entertaining as it was made out to be has no bearing on how fun SotC is. GTA4's sales have little bearing on how fun it is to an individual.

It's the only argument they have, despite that a person is just stating his own opinion. I guess that to some, GTAIV is a awesome game only because it sold a fuckton of copies.

darkwings

Banned
There is also an interview with the Remedy guy who wrote the script for Max Payne 1&2 + Alan Wake, but I dunno if I muster translating one more :p

Skorp

Neo Member
moment 22

pretty sure he means catch 22.

I don't think he's really the first to crap on GTA IV, I know a lot of people agree San Andreas was a better game. On the other hand, I'm surprised at how critical he is of SMG.

farnham said:
there were claims that miyamoto stole from the ico team..? never heard of em

is this situation something like insomniac claiming that mario galaxy totally is a rip off of ratchet and clank (and then miyamoto said that he does not know ratched).

If you read the text, you'd notice that the dude in question felt that gamers and the press made a big deal out of nothing. Nor does he claim ownership of the idea. Good job there.

He's not elaborating on anything, so I can't take his opinion seriously on SMG. But I love his development team for their vision and inspiration and can't wait for their new project (loved ICO but SoTC fell a little short for me).

junker

EatChildren said:
I really didn't get a SotC vibe from Galaxy at all, even the scaling of larger objects, simply because the platforming and gravitation effects made for a totally different and more free experience, at least in comparison.

This is actually the first time I've heard anybody relate SotC to Galaxy at all. Twilight Princess and SotC plenty of times, sure, but Galaxy?

SotC invented big bosses, didn't you get the memo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom