• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Zero way Cap and Hydra is going to go out of this with success. No one who is not a Nazi would be so stupid to write a story like that right now. And despite "sketchy views" (Arguing that you should not punch a nazi on twitter doesnt make you a nazi, it makes you in the worst case an idiot), I also see no indications that this is the case. I get that we have reason to be upset, but he wrote a black Captain America now for years, which was celebrate by the people in this thread.

The thing for me is... this is so incredibly breathtakingly awful that it's actually kind of making me wonder about Sam Cap. Yeah, we were rooting for the black Captain America putting the business to white supremacists but... was that the authorial intent? Should we have been tut-tutting at how Sam debased himself to the level of his enemies by daring to oppose them? Because that's the message Spencer is sending here.

Sandfox

He's done, literally, everything right thus far. He's always one step ahead because he's the powerful, intelegent, perfect white male specimen.

I mean shit, #0 ends with
Tony trying to assemble the remaining heroes that Steve didn't leave in space to be killed at the White House, only to have Steve already know that he was going to assemble them there so he's already going to launch an attack.

Intentionally or not, all this story acts as is for fuel for the racists that are reading comics, in an industry that is always under fire for issues with diversity and sexism.
The problem there is that those traits were already part of Steve's character and #0 is about his plan coming together so the heroes can stop him in later issues.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
An open liberal Cap book in which while the hero didn't like the violence sympathises with the the protest.

I keep seeing some people painting Spencer as something he's not because from Sam book it's clear he doesn't condone anything HydraCap and Hydra does. Regardless of the stupid twitter beefs

The thing for me is... this is so incredibly breathtakingly awful that it's actually kind of making me wonder about Sam Cap. Yeah, we were rooting for the black Captain America putting the business to white supremacists but... was that the authorial intent? Should we have been tut-tutting at how Sam debased himself to the level of his enemies by daring to oppose them? Because that's the message Spencer is sending here.

You booth have fair points.

Reading this tonight.

Marvel Comics has recently been in a rough spot, with flagging sales, and interrogated some on the matter in a meeting with retailers, who let out their own grievances in the difficulty lately in selling some of Marvel's books. One possible culprit among others got attention: Diversity in their titles, and readers turning up their nose at them.

This did not sit well with others, the idea that retailers and Marvel would blame these books for low sales - and it didn't sit well with me, either. So I've hunkered down and put in the hours researching sales data reaching back over a decade in Marvel, and looked for what could possibly be the true culprit in their sales problems.

"Shut The Fuck Up, Marvel" is a nearly 30k long essay, a spiritual sequel to The Problems With Comics, a deep dive into the true issues with Marvel's economics and business - and how an obsession with short term profit, the constant renumbering and relaunches and events, all compounded by a complete inability to understand basic marketing techniques or outside audiences, has absolutely destroyed the sales stability of many of their former best selling books, all as they condescend to those who criticize them on their stories, or on how they try to sell comics.

Trying really hard not to click on any of these spoiler tags as I am way behind on Hydra Cap but seems to be pretty divisive and getting people talking at least if nothing else.

Got round to the first issue of Godshaper last night and well.......its something, I think a few more rereads are definitely required, theres so much world building and crazyness thrown at you in the issue I couldn't really say whether I like it or not yet. I will say that bud and his love of hats is pretty damn cute though.

I was looking for something a bit more light hearted and in an adventure style as a change from what I've been reading recently and from reading the recommendations a few pages back I think Bandette could definitely be it. Comic GAF saves the day again.

Sandfox

C972c-BWAAM8mEx

So this is supposed to be extremely obvious, right?
Reggie is either going to die or end up in a wheelchair. It's definitely not going to be one of the girls.

Zombine

Banned

And here's thing kicker...it really was crap. Not only was it crap but I think there was some minor debate over one of the covers? So we had a huge delay, a tepid response to the #1, and some nontraversy all in like a 4 month period.

Damn dude, they couldn't have fucked that one up any harder if they tried.

shingi70

Banned
I still can't believe that Archie canceled Megaman and started a kickstarter to pay Adam Hughes of all people to do a monthly series.

Started on the fourth volume of Stormwatch, with Apollo and Midnighter's appearances. Took me an almost embarrassingly long time to notice the parallels between their original team and the Justice League...

I won't be reading Secret Empire until it's put in a collection. I feel like this is a story that is easier to swallow if you can read the whole thing in one sitting versus fighting about the themes of HydraCap on the internet for 4 months assuming no delays.

I wonder how crazy the shenanagins will get over the course of Secret Empire we already have the Allies using the cosmic cube to win WWII after they lost WWII, and we now have HydraCap
being worthy of Thor's Hammer when Thor isn't worthy of Thor's hammer.
And we aren't even on Issue #1 yet!
Except
Thor is worthy of Mjolnir again
AoS has completely retconned the origins of Hydra from the MCU's starting point in CA:TFA though. They're basically taking the comics route too - where Hydra as it was known under Red Skull was just the WW2 iteration of a secret organization that has existed for centuries under different names and guises. But in the end they still recognize it as a Nazi organization because even with older roots, what attracted Nazis to it is that it shares much of the same values.
That's right, I had forgotten. Which is funny because I was just explaining to a friend why Hydra (in the MCU) was technically not a Nazi group (even though they're totally Nazis). Same explanation, too.

caliph95

Mid conversation he just casually broke a young girls dog's neck right in front of her.... That's an extra level of fucked.
I mean it's the same guy who hired a hit on his daughter to hang out with her and fake boyfriends and family to keep an eye on her. Slade is not right in the head

He's a villain.

Yeah, it was just how this story had gone. It was like hey, let's not forget this guy is fucked up. The part about it being in front of her just adds another level to it for me.

I love that it wraps back around and states what happened just in case you thought it didn't really happen or go all the way through with it.

Top Bottom