• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord British (aka Richard Garriott) seems ready to show off his next game

I guess the "Ultimate RPG" (I think it's a working name) that Richard Garriott aka Lord British has been working on for a while is finally ready to be revealed. He put up a website with a countdown.

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

From what he's said before about it, he wants to make an Ultima Online type RPG with lots of freedom, player generated combat, non-combat roles that players can do and all sorts of other neato stuff I guess.

You can read his treatise about it here: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

Due to the fact that in the last 20 years he's made 2 good games: Ultima Online and Ultima 7, I'm not too excited about this but I guess we'll see what happens.

rockx4

I guess the "Ultimate RPG" (I think it's a working name) that Richard Garriott aka Lord British has been working on for a while is finally ready to be revealed. He put up a website with a countdown.

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

From what he's said before about it, he wants to make an Ultima Online type RPG with lots of freedom, player generated combat, non-combat roles that players can do and all sorts of other neato stuff I guess.

You can read his treatise about it here: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

Due to the fact that in the last 20 years he's made 2 good games: Ultima Online and Ultima 7, I'm not too excited about this but I guess we'll see what happens.

Is this that garage sale/flee market game or whatever from a while back? Or did that already release.

rockx4

That released already, thought I'm not sure if it's still technically in beta or not. You can play it on facebook and probably iOS and Android. I tried it out for about 15 minutes and it seemed like a complete waste of time.

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-collector

My interest in that game fizzled the moment it announced. He really needs to just make a simple Ultima VII like game, hell I wouldn't mind if it looked like U7 but at a higher resolution.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
While I'm a huge fan of Ultima VII, I can't help but feel that Garriot is just so full of himself. I could almost pidture him lovingly caressing the mirror as I was reading that treatise.

rockx4

While I'm a huge fan of Ultima VII, I can't help but feel that Garriot is just so full of himself. I could almost pciture him lovingly caressing the mirror as I was reading that treatise.

Yep, U7 was amazing. I have the same opinion of Garriott as you do. After U7, and outside of UO... everything that he's touched has failed. He hasn't produced a relevant game in ages and he acts like he's some RPG god out to make the ultimate RPG.

todahawk

Cautiously excited. Hope Garriot doesn't have space madness.

"You coveth my ice cream bar!"
ren_hoek_with_space_madness_by_kcn27-d5djz54.jpg

rrs

A modern ultima online could be cool, hopefully it doesn't turn into a lot of lost potentical

Yep, U7 was amazing. I have the same opinion of Garriott as you do. After U7, and outside of UO... everything that he's touched has failed. He hasn't produced a relevant game in ages and he acts like he's some RPG god out to make the ultimate RPG.

He is still a god to me. Him and Warren Spector have a life time free pass no matter what crap they churn out now.

Hopefully this is the return of Harry Potter online.

I predict this countdown will end with a kickstarter.

"hey remember 20 years ago when I made ____ game.....something something greedy publishes....yadda yadda...."

He's kind of like one of those classic rock bands that made legendary albums back in the 70s but all their newer stuff is crap. I mean does anyone really care about the new Rush or Rolling Stones album? They just want to hear the hits.

He's kind of like one of those classic rock bands that made legendary albums back in the 70s but all their newer stuff is crap. I mean does anyone really care about the new Rush or Rolling Stones album? They just want to hear the hits.

Ultima VII is still a landmark game to this day, it hasn't been superseded yet.

Erethian

The problem with this analogy is that Richard Garriott is only one person and there were a whole team of people at Origin who were incredibly talented. People who worked on Wing Commander worked on Ultima or Crusader or Bioforge, and so on. Then you had all those people there who went on to work at Looking Glass Studios.

rockx4

Ultima VII is still a landmark game to this day, it hasn't been superseded yet.

The problem with this analogy is that Richard Garriott is only one person and there were a whole team of people at Origin who were incredibly talented. People who worked on Wing Commander worked on Ultima or Crusader or Bioforge, and so on. Then you had all those people there who went on to work at Looking Glass Studios.

It's true that U7 is still an amazing game. I'd like to see Garriott create an actual game in the style of U7 to see if he can actually recreate what made U7 great in a new game.

SparkTR

Isn't this guy massively into iOS and social games these days? Pass. Ultima Forever is already enough disappointment for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this guy massively into iOS and social games these days? Pass. Ultima Forever is already enough disappointment for me.

I'm hoping that passed. It seems like the "I'm gonna go make a Facebook mobile shit-Ville game!" phase has passed for most people in the last year or so. Maybe it's just my impression.

Yeah. Warren Spector was involved with Ultimas 6, 7, 7: Part 2 and Underworld. Denis Loubet did the artwork for the Ultima series and is basically the Roger Dean or Strom Thorgerson (for you Yes or Pink Floyd fans) of the series. Ken Arnold did much of the music.

Maybe the correct analogy would be the classic Ultima games were like the classic Pink Floyd albums but his later games are like the Floyd solo albums.

My personal favorites in the series would be 5 and 6. I remember playing U5 years later and still got captivated by it the way I did when I played 6 and 7 originally.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Elizabeth, Abraham, the Cube, the Sphere, and the Pyramid still crack me up to this day.

SparkTR

I'm hoping that passed. It seems like the "I'm gonna go make a Facebook mobile shit-Ville game!" phase has passed for most people in the last year or so. Maybe it's just my impression.

Last I saw him was on the Star Citizen final day livestream (around Nov last year) and he was pimping out social gaming like there was no tomorrow.

he's been having a hardon for social games so this game may be massively disappointing or amazing..or an IOS game which might be likely.

xenist

I'm pulling for him to succeed. Dude is a legend.

Absolutely. I usually don't give half a fuck whether some games are successful prior to seeing if they're good or not but for some reason I take it kind of personally when people like Garriott, or Carmack, or Spector and the like don't get respect.

He's not a billionaire but he did get $28 million from NC Soft after he sued them. While he was in quarantine for his space trip, NC Soft released an open letter from him that said he was leaving the company. He then said that NC Soft made up this letter to force him out of the company. I guess the judge agreed with Garriott.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He's not a billionaire but he did get $28 million from NC Soft after he sued them. While he was in quarantine for his space trip, NC Soft released an open letter from him that said he was leaving the company. He then said that NC Soft made up this letter to force him out of the company. I guess the judge agreed with Garriott.

That would be one of the most epic defenses ever.

"Your Honor, I had no means at that time of responding to such defamations, as you see, I was in quarantine after returning from space."

eastmen

Banned
I love the ultima series. Even the last one was good once fans fixed the issues and on modern pcs it runs like a charm.

Ultima online to this day is still the best MMORPG ever created. So I'm willing to give this a shot

BosSin

I had a decent conversation with the guy a couple years back, unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the Ultima series (haven't even played a single one)

Top Bottom