• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider multiplayer confirmed [Up: Developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex)]

Cyberia

oxmfeb2013issuecover.jpg

In the issue hitting subscribers starting tomorrow (on newsstands Jan 8), read all about our hands-on impressions of Crystal Dynamics’ newest addition to Lara’s upcoming adventure: multiplayer! We spill the details on the new modes and info on who you’ll be playing as.

http://www.oxmonline.com/our-next-issue-tomb-raider-gets-multiplayer

Larson Conway said:
Eidos Montreal developed the multiplayer.

From the CD community manager:

8317670585_8a73847539.jpg

Very exciting news to (finally) confirm to you guys! Lara’s on the February cover of OXM, paired with a big announcement. Tomb Raider will include a multiplayer offering thanks to the hard work of our sister-studio, the hugely talented Eidos Montreal. The team at Eidos Montreal has been working away at the multiplayer while we focused everything on the single-player offering.

I know you all will have dozens and dozens of questions – hang in there. OXM has the exclusive details for now. We’ll have lots of information coming out of CES in early January. I can’t answer much (anything) until then.

I hope you guys are excited! We’ll have to create a new thread closer to launch to share gamer tags and usernames and so on – that way we can play together!

Tumbler said:
OXM Reveals Tomb Raider Multiplayer In January Cover Story

Yep, you read it right. The January issue of OXM has revealed a secret addition to Tomb Raider, and one a long-time in the making. While Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work crafting and polishing the single-player experience, our sister studio Eidos Montreal has been working tirelessly to introduce multiplayer to the world of Tomb Raider.

Inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to co-op play in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, we’ll have many more details about Tomb Raider’s multiplayer offering come CES in early January. Issue #145 of OXM also dives deep into single player content and combat.

Can we all take a second to admire how beautiful the cover art is? You can thank Brian Horton for the lovely piece above starring Lara and Roth.

I hope you guys are as excited as I am! I can’t wait to play with fellow fans online come launch day.
Source: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/39044023463/oxm-reveals-tomb-raider-multiplayer-in-january

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
[Obligatory "You'll be playing as somebody who wants to protect her" post.]

Derrick01

Banned
How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?

SJRB

Gold Member
Fuck that, they have a Dark Souls 2 preview!

[It better not be a trailer summary or some shit]

Prine

Banned
Uncharted like multilayer, vaulting around the map would be fitting for TR. Looking forward to see their take on it

+1 CD

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Uncharted 3 with optional tombs.

Another franchise ruined.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Square-Enix "Real and non automatic 3D platforming,huge environmental puzzles,exploring and isolation? NO what Tomb Raider need is online multiplayer"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
did you miss e3 last year? there is plenty of qte stuff.

His last question asked, "What am I missing?", not "What is the game missing?"

Edit: I can see the cause for misunderstanding. I'll edit my post for clarity.

Cade

Ah yeah. The 1 hit kill "finishers" too. Don't forget the gripping emoantional story.

Does this have any kinect stuff? I don't remember anything about it. Probably a good thing I don't.

I actually have no idea, I was just saying it was a box left to check if not.

My idea of Multiplayer on a Tomb Raider game is a group of people teaming up to solve puzzles and raid tombs.

I get the feeling I'm getting dissapointed.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Announcing multiplayer for a game like this is the fastest way to deflate my excitement/expectations. Went from a possible purchase to the bottom dregs of my gamefly Q.

Fantasmo

Don't understand the hate. Tomb Raider had a 3 game reboot this gen, fantastic ones I might add, and an isometric co-op game. Keeping the series fresh is good for the brand and Lara is one of the better female leads in a hobby with few good female characters. Looks great so far, hope to see it become successful!

Bgamer90

Banned
Announcing multiplayer for a game like this is the fastest way to deflate my excitement/expectations. Went from a possible purchase to the bottom dregs of my gamefly Q.

I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode, I don't see why adding it is a reason to dismiss the game as a whole.

Dynoro

Why waste development resources and time on something barely anyone will play? I will put up with a lot of the crap they have added; but MP is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm most curious to learn if Eidos Montreal is actually making the multiplayer.

The original job postings in 2010 referred to a partner studio in Montreal, and I don't think they've been hiring enough people to make this internally unless they did it without job postings.

It's this American obsession with multi-player, that's destroyed the art of the single player campaign over the last decade.

Too much developer time is wasted on it...all that effort just so a bunch of teenagers can scream trash talk to a captive audience.

Interfectum

I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode, I don't see why adding it is a reason to dismiss the game as a whole.

Waste of development resources and time. Any perks, unlockables or DLC will mainly be geared towards MP maps and skins. Yawn.

Nibel

So since this is supposed to be THE BEST GAME OF THIS HOME CONSOLE GENERATION, you can expect THE BEST MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE OF THIS HOME CONSOLE GENERATION

sublimit

Banned
I couldn't give a damn if this game had MP or not IF the rest of the game was the TR experience i'd want it to be.

But as it is,the inclusion of MP makes the direction Crystal is trying to take the series even more than obvious.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode.

Every dev says this but I've yet to play a game that had tacked on multi that didn't have issues in single player that could have been fixed by more time/manpower.

8317670585_8a73847539.jpg

Very exciting news to (finally) confirm to you guys! Lara’s on the February cover of OXM, paired with a big announcement. Tomb Raider will include a multiplayer offering thanks to the hard work of our sister-studio, the hugely talented Eidos Montreal. The team at Eidos Montreal has been working away at the multiplayer while we focused everything on the single-player offering.

I know you all will have dozens and dozens of questions – hang in there. OXM has the exclusive details for now. We’ll have lots of information coming out of CES in early January. I can’t answer much (anything) until then.

I hope you guys are excited! We’ll have to create a new thread closer to launch to share gamer tags and usernames and so on – that way we can play together!

The original job postings in 2010 referred to a partner studio in Montreal, and I don't think they've been hiring enough people to make this internally unless they did it without job postings.

Yes they are. I think that should go in the title.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm glad to see that EM is dedicating their time and people to making a MP mode that no one wants for a terrible looking game that very few seem to want instead of getting Thief 4 or Deus Ex HR2 going.

Yes I realize it was probably a small separate team.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

So you hated Mass Effect 3, Uncharted, and the last few Assassin's Creed games just because they added MP?

Eideka

Banned

Good thing if true, that means the solo can't be negatively affected. I'm not saying this would have necessarily been the case if the multiplayer was being developped internally but I'm fine with a separate team handling the multiplayer modes.

I don't have any expectations regarding this mode anyway, I'm sold on the origin story ever since I read about it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

isn't that studio working on the matrix version of Hitman going with the art works (or was that another studio?)I guess that game will need multiplayer.

Edit Nirolak is right as always.

Top Bottom