• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well it's no Sandman, but it'll do in a pinch

Hey, we might finally get something Sandman if this does well. Wish they'd abandon those Sandman movie ideas and do a proper TV series.

hydruxo

- Esquire: A Guide to Understanding the Brilliance of American Gods (Character Guide)

New photos of Mr. Nancy and Media (as Lucille Ball):

gallery-1493157738-nancy.png

Just subbed to Starz through my Prime account. Ready for Sunday. So did I read correctly earlier in the thread that this is actually available early Sunday for streaming?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just subbed to Starz through my Prime account. Ready for Sunday. So did I read correctly earlier in the thread that this is actually available early Sunday for streaming?

Yep. You should be able to watch it early early Sunday morning. I always watched Black Sails episodes over breakfast, like 12 hours before the live TV airing.

Just gotta remember to use spoiler tags if you're talking about the episode before it airs.

- Boston Globe review
While the four episodes presented to critics for preview offered just enough bearings to determine that bearings are of limited use in the universe of “American Gods,” it’s safe to say even this early that it’s one of the most imaginative, adventurous, and deeply weird experiments on television — an entrancingly trippy metaphorical melee that elevates an investigation of American identity to a supernatural plane.
- Slate review
All this might still have gone terribly wrong; Fuller’s archness isn’t an obvious match for Gaiman’s wonderstruck fantasy. Instead, the TV version of American Gods has turned out to be, miraculously, just right.

hydruxo

I'm so excited for this. It might be slightly divisive but I'm all in.

The book might be divisive but so far the reviews for the show (first four episodes at least) have been very positive. Since they're taking their time and expanding characters who didn't get touched upon as much in the book, that should help a lot.

KodaRuss

I cancelled my STARS subscription and it ends soon but Ill give this a shot to change my mind. I thought it had already started but this Sunday I guess...

The book might be divisive but so far the reviews for the show (first four episodes at least) have been very positive. Since they're taking their time and expanding characters who didn't get touched upon as much in the book, that should help a lot.
It has around the same MC score as Hannibal S1 did. Which is still fine. I'm sure the show could become amazing tier in the last half or second season.

I'm at the TV Academy theater right now about to see this. Hyped.
I cancelled my STARS subscription and it ends soon but Ill give this a shot to change my mind. I thought it had already started but this Sunday I guess...
Did you by chance speak with a Mr. Wesker to arrange that?

TheOddOne

- New York Times: Review: 'American Gods' Works in Mysterious Ways.
And in terms of style, Mr. Fuller has outdone himself on “Gods.” It’s consistently eye-catching, sometimes in burnished, picturesque ways and sometimes disorienting, grotesque ways. (Severed limbs are a recurring motif.) But he and Mr. Green have also pushed the envelope in terms of cryptic and leisurely storytelling. Through the four episodes (of eight) available for review, viewers who haven’t read Mr. Gaiman’s book will have only the faintest idea of where the plot is headed.
If you’re willing to wait for the story to take shape, there are compensations. The action hums along, even if you can’t tell where it’s going, and there’s a welcome edge of humor (not abundant in this genre), especially in the performances of Mr. McShane and Pablo Schreiber as a tall Irishman who calls himself a leprechaun.
- CoS: Starz’s American Gods Proves Great Art is Ready to Serve in Times of Great Chaos.
Watch American Gods and be entertained, shocked, titillated, amused, horrified, and delighted. Watch an hour like “Git Gone”, the fourth of eight episodes in this stellar first season, and be amazed by the economy of storytelling, the remarkable work done by Browning, Whittle, and company, the rich cinematography, and so on. Watch Bilquis devour, or Wednesday scheme, or Mad Sweeney fight, and fall into this wonderful story. Do that, and don’t be surprised when you feel the rest of the world intrude. Great storytelling isn’t timely by accident. It’s always been great, and when we need it, like a long-dormant God, it rises to the occasion.
- GQ: Is American Gods the Best New TV Show of 2017?
But almost as important as that question is who gets to answer it, and that's where the show becomes terribly relevant: It's a road trip across the unromantic landscapes of immigrant America, the tenements and tiny apartments of people bent over from years of hard labor after a hard journey here, cab drivers forced to set aside their dignity to barely make rent in a country that's supposed to be better than the one they left behind. This is the crux of American Gods, both the novel and the TV show.
- New Republic: American Gods Is a Dark Fairytale of a Country in Crisis.
This twist is an important tell: American Gods is a story about America pretending to be a story about magic. Gaiman, who immigrated to this country from England, published American Gods during the dot-com boom, when America stood toes out over a cultural precipice. Our love of tech had acquired a religious quality: part wishful thinking, part hubris.

Ithil

Well I went ahead and ordered the book, I'm still not sure if I'll read it first or wait til the first season is done.

Kevin

Subbing.

I'm really looking forward to this. I know nothing of the books so I'm going in basically blind.

Same here. I have no idea what to expect at all but I loved Hannibal so I'm kind of hoping this show will scratch that itch. Reviews suggest that it will.

Decided to buy the book. Pretty sure I won't read it.
I couldn't finish it, and this was my second attempt after trying about a year ago. I made it only 60-80 pages then, and this time I made it a good 200. I won't go into it here at all, but I have confidence this story will be much more interesting and enjoyable in TV form than book form.

Grizzlyjin

The episode will be available early for those using the Starz app?

Should be. Every episode of Black Sails was up and ready when I'd wake up in the morning before they aired. Same thing for Outlander.

Monocle

Decided to buy the book. Pretty sure I won't read it.
I have just started it. About 10% of the way through according to my Kindle.

It's pretty good! Fuller is going to do great things with some of the weirder imagery. I can only imagine how the show will handle that scene where the lady does that thing. Assuming it's even included. Which it totally should be, because wow.

I have just started it. About 10% of the way through according to my Kindle.

It's pretty good! Fuller is going to do great things with some of the weirder imagery. I can only imagine how the show will handle that scene where the lady does that thing. Assuming it's even included. Which it totally should be, because wow.
I am 99% certain it'll be in there. I mean...it is Fuller. I just can't wait to see how.

hydruxo

That scene is in the
first episode too
, and from the impressions floating around regarding it, they went all out in keeping it faithful to the book.

mm04

Looks like I'll be subbing to Starz via Prime for 2 months. Screw giving Frontier my money. Once my contract expires, which was with damn Verizon, I'm done with those clowns. At least as a cable provider.

Dynomutt

Looks like I'll be subbing to Starz via Prime for 2 months. Screw giving Frontier my money. Once my contract expires, which was with damn Verizon, I'm done with those clowns. At least as a cable provider.

Or at least take advantage of the 7 day trial via Starz.com and then take the 7 days trial via Amazon.com so your have 14 days free before you get charged!

mm04

Or at least take advantage of the 7 day trial via Starz.com and then take the 7 days trial via Amazon.com so your have 14 days free before you get charged!

Yeah, I'll definitely take advantage of the freebie offers. I used to be one of those people who had every channel, but I was probably wasting $50 a month underutilizing those channels, so I cut a bunch. Maybe I'll catch up on
Outlander

Monocle

He answered that in an interview already.
The scene which you are referring to is included. It is even seen (albeit briefly and without an explicit shot) in the trailers.
Oh man! Can't wait to see how they pull it off. I'm avoiding the trailer so I don't infer anything about the book from the images.

I am 99% certain it'll be in there. I mean...it is Fuller. I just can't wait to see how.
Yeah it's gonna be something.

That scene is in the
first episode too
, and from the impressions floating around regarding it, they went all out in keeping it faithful to the book.
Damn, that's awesome.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Does Starz content go on sale on digital platforms quickly? I want to buy the season on PSN, but I don't know what the deal is with Canadian availability.

Pixieking

Banned

hydruxo

Wow, that was really something. A few quick impressions:

-I've been watching every trailer / promo for the show so I knew it was going to be a visual feast, but holy shit it's something to behold when you finally see all the pieces fit together. Beautifully shot in every single scene. It's incredible.
-The infamous Bilquis scene and the Mad Sweeney bar fight scene were just how I envisioned from the book.
-Viking intro scene was brilliant and did a great job of setting the tone. Starting with Mr. Ibis writing the story and narrating it was awesome.
-Mr. Wednesday's introduction at the airport when he cons the clerk had me laughing my ass off. Ian McShane is killing it already as Wednesday, he was born to play this role.
-Pretty impressed with Ricky Whittle as Shadow so far too.

-Only negative for me was the awkward graveyard scene with Audrey and Shadow. It was fine but it just felt...off? I think it was just the drunk acting from the actress who plays Audrey that threw me off.

Overall though that was a fantastic premiere. Really enjoyed it!

God damn. The pilot was great; I think they nailed it. As someone who's about 3/4 through the book, I'm wondering how newcomers will feel about it. Hopefully it does well. The cast is really great, and they did an excellent job with the visuals (as expected).

I'm mostly impressed with how they handled certain scenes, especially THAT one.

Top Bottom