• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Nothing that I know of. Though Youtube has a couple of videos with them. Such as this:http://youtu.be/5iKgqtbQN_k?t=40s

Yeah, there is always Non-Metal covers of Metal songs, heh. I like some of the 8bit rearranges as well. Maybe I should try finding Lounge Jazz versions of Metal songs. I'm sure just about every genre has been covered thanks to Youtubers and other "bedroom" (not meant to be a pejorative) musicians.

Which reminds me of the Tori Amos cover of Raining Blood. It's strange how that cover just works, despite Slayer and Amos being polar opposites of one another (BTW I like both artists).

E-FRONT-COVER.jpg
full album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZoECu9WCY&list=FL2UaxQYJrX5-3GNpE0iIa9A&index=7

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really know how to describe this Psalm Zero album (their debut, named The Drain), but it's probably my favorite release of the year so far. Two dudes (Andrew Hock from Castevet, Charlie Looker from Extra Life), a drum machine, lots of synths.

It's streaming on Profound Lore's Bandcamp site, and it's on Spotify.

Kaladin

We got to the second page in less than a day!

OT3 coming in 2015 confirmed?

Don't hold your breath. It's hard to get us all in a studio to record an OT and the record labels don't like it when we release something before we're contracted to put it out there. We have to sell 20,000 units of OT2 before cranking out OT3.

Caladrius

Yeah, there is always Non-Metal covers of Metal songs, heh. I like some of the 8bit rearranges as well. Maybe I should try finding Lounge Jazz versions of Metal songs. I'm sure just about every genre has been covered thanks to Youtubers and other "bedroom" (not meant to be a pejorative) musicians.

Which reminds me of the Tori Amos cover of Raining Blood. It's strange how that cover just works, despite Slayer and Amos being polar opposites of one another (BTW I like both artists).

It's always interesting to see how people process metal, considering how far removed it is from most of the other supergenres.(Fusion genres not withstanding) Had I any composing and software experience myself I'd love to do some electronic stuff with it.

While on the subject of of covers: Metal cover of the final boss theme from my favorite game, Paper Mario

I'm surprised by how many solid metal covers of game songs you can find on Youtube.

I don't really know how to describe this Psalm Zero album (their debut, named The Drain), but it's probably my favorite release of the year so far. Two dudes (Andrew Hock from Castevet, Charlie Looker from Extra Life), a drum machine, lots of synths.

It's streaming on Profound Lore's Bandcamp site, and it's on Spotify.

I'll have to listen to the whole thing, but I heard a song (I think it was the title track) before it's release and thought it was interesting but I just wasn't feeling it. This year has already been great so far, the new Slough Feg, Sunn O))) and Ulver, Cynic, and the Artificial Brain debut are all lovely albums.

It's always interesting to see how people process metal, considering how far removed it is from most of the other supergenres.(Fusion genres not withstanding) Had I any composing and software experience myself I'd love to do some electronic stuff with it.

While on the subject of of covers: Metal cover of the final boss theme from my favorite game, Paper Mario

I'm surprised by how many solid metal covers of game songs you can find on Youtube.

I've always been partial to the 8bit Metal covers, but I never knew the video game Metal covers were out there in abundance. Cool Paper Mario cover, heh. I'm sure the Mario theme song has been covered via the metal style.

Not exactly what you're after, but Taake's Myr features a badass banjo solo 3:15 in.

I like it! It actually suits the song well.

Now I want to listen to some Bela Fleck.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Where do I get that? I hadn't kept up on it since ordering the CD.
Seems like there are delays in the US
The US vinyl might be delayed for a bit. The test press didn't sound as good as we had hoped, so it looks like it's going to be another three weeks for a new set then 5-7 for the actual records. So we probably won't have them until after the April tour. But maybe we'll have them at the New Orleans show, so you should definitely come to that.
The European press I got is from German store Bis aufs Messer, released by Vendetta. So prepare to be shipping costed :(

526b35ad19f2a1d1313141mozt.jpg

It's beautiful...

You never really know with Metallica now. The unfortunate thing is it could be an improvement over most of their recent stuff and still be crap.

Kaladin

You never really know with Metallica now. The unfortunate thing is it could be an improvement over most of their recent stuff and still be crap.

It could be the best thing they've released since Master of Puppets, but the internet will still find a way to hate it....because it's Metallica.

It could be the best thing they've released since Master of Puppets, but the internet will still find a way to hate it....because it's Metallica.

Yeah, I hear that. I was meaning more along the lines of they haven't released anything close to Master of Puppets in a long time so even if they up the bar they can hit an area that isn't where they used to be...or more precisely put...where I want them to be. :)

The hate for Metallica's output for the last decade or more is not because the vast majority of everything they've written and recorded ranges from outright embarrassing to a waste of everyone's time, but rather that the internet is being irrational... fascinating

Kaladin

Yeah, I hear that. I was meaning more along the lines of they haven't released anything close to Master of Puppets in a long time so even if they up the bar they can hit an area that isn't where they used to be...or more precisely put...where I want them to be. :)

I enjoy just about anything Metallica does, as long as it's not St. Anger, Cyanide or Lulu (which I have come around on a bit more recently).

I enjoy just about anything Metallica does, as long as it's not St. Anger, Cyanide or Lulu (which I have come around on a bit more recently).

I'm the exact same way, except I've come around to some of St. Anger. I've always enjoyed Lulu in a really weird way.

Anyway, I'm excited for new Metallica. At the end of the day their the band I listen to most along side Manowar.

There where talking about it being similar to Black album, and to be honest as long as its masted like Black album was I'm cool with that.

My actual favorite album of theirs is Ride the Lightning, with Creeping Death as my favorite song. That riff after the intro...I think I picked up a guitar just because of it.

As for the newer stuff, I didn't care for St. Anger but, Death Magnetic is alright if I just listen to it as an album. I haven't listened to anything newer than Death Magnetic in all honesty though...I actually like some songs off of Load and Reload but, I can only admit that with anonymity of the Internet backing me.

Kaladin

My actual favorite album of theirs is Ride the Lightning, with Creeping Death as my favorite song. That riff after the intro...I think I picked up a guitar just because of it.

As for the newer stuff, I didn't care for St. Anger but, Death Magnetic is alright if I just listen to it as an album. I haven't listened to anything newer than Death Magnetic in all honesty though...I actually like some songs off of Load and Re-Load but, I can only admit that with anonymity of the Internet backing me.

Beyond Magnetic continues to be good, and they are still killer live.

That's my favorite Metallica album as well (Ride the Lightning). Like I said, hard to pick favorites because I love all three of those albums. Kill 'Em All isn't as good, but I like that one a lot too (despite myself having plenty of criticisms for it).

I haven't listened to Death Magnetic though, due to the production issues. This damn loudness war has been fucking over potentially good music since it became a phenomenon in record producing (Ironically, I actually don't mind the production on Justice).

Melchiah

Gnaw Their Tongues & Alkerdeel - 'Dyodyo Asema'

'Dyodyo Asema', a 19-minute long bastard, was composed by Alkerdeel and Gnaw Their Tongues with the intention of celebrating the fifth anniversary of Consouling Sounds. Mind, it's not a split release, but a collaboration were both parties worked on one gloomy-drone-black-sludge-monolith of a song.
Released by Consouling Sounds on etched vinyl (SOVLXXXIII) and Digifile cd (SOUL0033).

Correct listening for nocturnal hours.

Top Bottom