• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype Controller Models

SOR5

So Seamus Blackley posted these on twitter, the first designs for the original Xbox controller from Nov. 1999

proto.jpg
Notice the VMU and swirls? They seem to have had a really heavy Dreamcast influence back then, say what you want about the Duke and beyond but i'm happy as hell we got those instead.

But why stop there, I thought it would be cool to carry on with some more, heres the Playstation 1

the purple outline seems to hint an NA Super Nintendo influence, not surprising considering how the Playstation was born. It's weird how this DNA spreads

This ones an easy guess, the Gamecube controller looked a bit lankier

Theres way more out there, feel free to post and discuss them, ill try to keep adding more

I've seen the PlayStation ones many times but never noticed how the O and X button placements were switched from where they are now.

So Seamus Blackley posted these on twitter, the first designs for the original Xbox controller from Nov. 1999

Notice the VMU and swirls? They seem to have had a really heavy Dreamcast influence back then, say what you want about the Duke and beyond but i'm happy as hell we got those instead.

why were they using powerstone characters as themes?

OmahaG8

I daydreamed about VMU v2.0 when I first held the Dreamcast controller for the first time. I thought it would be baseline from there on out. Those Xbox controllers not coming to fruition hurt me deeply.

Mindlog

Really wish premium limited run controllers would become a thing.
XBOX Elite was a great step in that direction, but even more deviations from the traditional would be fun to test out. Tired of the old dual analog design especially with their current crop of flaws.

23qwerty

I've always wanted to try that thing, I mean, maybe it was actually an amazing controller. I can't imagine any other reason Sony would create something so obviously dumb looking.
naw it looks cool as shit, probably not the most comfortable thing though

Teuoxton

Thise prototype XBox controllers in the OP look a lot like later models of the Sidewinder, not much of a surprise as they are both Microsoft.

I really like that black on silver look they had.
images

SOR5

Thise prototype XBox controllers in the OP look a lot like later models of the Sidewinder, not much of a surprise as they are both Microsoft.

I really like that black on silver look they had.
images

Yep it was showcased with the Direct Xbox, which god knows how the hardware engineers managed to get that into a functional shape

I've always wanted to try that thing, I mean, maybe it was actually an amazing controller. I can't imagine any other reason Sony would create something so obviously dumb looking.

Given how small it was I have doubts on whether they were ever seriously going to use it

con113ooytu83.jpg

From what I remember reading no one outside of Sony ever got to hold the thing.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
So I guess the Xbox controllers were designed with Dreamcast software support in mind? That's pretty cool. Despite the uncomfortable controllers, I kinda wish it happened to keep VMU alive.

Top Bottom