• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

CmdBash

Full voice acting needs to be a thing in all FE games, makes the game way more immersive instead of the crappy one liner voice effects that repeat over and over.

Erheller

Do I play this or Trails in the Sky the 3rd? I'm picking this up tomorrow regardless, but I need to finish TiTS soon.

The flood of JRPG's is real.

tauroxd

You don't have OCD
Look at this... all the bloody cover papers are UNEVEN!
qfb5kY4.png

lol

but Nintendo is certainly not helping.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thanks for the OT. Should be getting my copy Saturday, looking forward to it.

$45 Season pass? Wow. I have always ignored DLC for Fire Emblem games, and this pricing won't win me over.

Got my CE yesterday but didn't have time to play yet.

My copy of the game arrived yesterday. I was awake until 1 am playing and I am nearly done with the first two acts of the game. Playing on hard classic. The AI still seems as dumb as rocks though. A few units feel unfairly strong (though IIRC these are the same problem areas for Gaiden) but for the most part it is fine. Though from what I remember of Gaiden the first two acts were pretty smooth sailing.

Some quick tips:
Villager promotions. Perhaps you can find some ideas in the village? (those choices seem good though personally I deviated slightly [choice]
also making Kliff a mercenary because Mercenary line is so good
). Also you may live to regret not making Faye [choice]
a Cleric
. Why? [details/reasons]
She learns physic (ranged healing) early on and potentially learns an exclusive spell very late in the game. Plus her support with Alm gives her +hit which helps with nosferatu
. I know it seems like an odd choice
considering you got Silque a second before your first Mila Shrine
Retreat is incredibly cheesy. Enemies killed stay dead. It is nerfed slightly compared to Gaiden because you have to wait until turn 3 and NPCs won't vanish.

Lelou

Great game, nice story, the cast of the characters is handsome and
it's not like usual FE where you recruit a new unit and it disappear completly in the story/plot.

Other than that, gameplay wise the maps are almost ALL horrible to manage, just huge empy places where there is no strategic values other than the terrain effects.
The 90% of my playthrough were, put heroes on woods --> wait enemy --> destroy enemy with ranged units and finish them with melee ones (sometimes opposite depending by the counter of the enemy units)

I had a lot of feels when playing it, it was like play a old gba FE game in the end.

I hope that intsys will continue this trend and not the "waifu" collection madness

In the end, it's the best FE on 3ds.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Weird. Aren't they updating the eSHop at the same the time Europe does? I could download it here three hours ago.
I'm assuming since the release date says 20th May then we'll get it unlocked in several hours overnight.

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Man, I'm so excited! I can't wait to play it. Sadly, it doesn't look like it will arrive until Monday despite pre-ordering a while back.

Does anyone know if the OST is available for purchase digitally? I couldn't get my hands on a limited edition.

PsionBolt

This game is fantastic and everything I had hoped for. It's greatly amusing how much higher the production values are than Fates or Awakening, despite this being a remake instead of a headliner entry. And all of the additions (such as the prologue) feel right at home, far more than the additions in 11 or 12 did.

Plus, Faye is wonderfully terrifying.

Sölf

Subscribed. Got the game yesterday, the deilvery man just puit the package at my front door. I am living at the lowest floor of a 7 floor building, who in their right mind thinks it's a good idea to put a package in front of a door where anyone could just grab it? Did the first few battles so far and should be finished with the first act/chapter/whatever of Alm's story within the next 1-2 battles I think.

So far, I really like it. It's quite a bit different from other FEs, which is refreshing.

One question:
The game seems to have sidequests. There is a woman in Ram that tells me to kill 20 bandits in the shrine. So, when I kill 20, do I finish this? Do only the ones in the shrine count? Also, is there a counter or something? I killed 9 in the shrine so far and another 6 or so in the battle after you're done with the shrine.

Moonlight

Banned
Finished downloading the game. Kinda anxious about how I'm gonna feel about it. A lot of my excitement for the game sorta tumbled once I found out that despite all the various improvements they made, they didn't bother with the key issue that Gaiden had - the maps. Story and production values are all well and good but hoping I don't wind up feeling like the game and strategy component of the game is a chore. The actual act of battling in FE can really only get you so far.

Moonlight

Banned
The first hour or so of this game is probably the most compelling introduction in an FE game I can recall. Really fantastic set-up.

EDIT: Also the voice acting is consistently phenomenal. 8-4 kills it as usual.

Silly question: does this game have a predecessor for the story? I know sometimes FE games will have small trilogies and stuff. But with the name Gaidan this might just be a side story...

Anyway. Help me out. I've played a little FE on GBA and a tiny bit of Awakening but this has me most interested.

Shiggy

The limited edition box is really massive. Keeping the Amiibos and art book sealed for now, focusing on the game.

Played the first couple of battles so far and am really enjoying the production value on display here.
Voice acting is great and auto advance is definitely appreciated.

PsionBolt

Silly question: does this game have a predecessor for the story? I know sometimes FE games will have small trilogies and stuff. But with the name Gaidan this might just be a side story...

Anyway. Help me out. I've played a little FE on GBA and a tiny bit of Awakening but this has me most interested.

It's a stand-alone story, with only a few minor references to other games (cameos and allusions). It's set in the same world as Shadow Dragon / Mystery of the Emblem / Awakening, but on a different continent.

Draxal

It does and it doesn't.

Gaiden is the second game in the series, and it has some guest appearances from characters that appeared in Shadow Dragon. However it is set on a different continent from Shadow Dragon.

Basically it went Shadow Dragon - Gaiden - Mystery of the Emblem.

RRockman

Banned
Does anyone know if the amazon sales for the amiibos went up? Trying to figure out if I should just buy it at best buy or just wait.

Wait, promoting asap is preferable in this game? Why so?

There's a couple of quirks to levelling in Echoes:

1. Standard growths are not very good. Expect a lot of +1s/+2s.
2. XP gain is tied strictly to class level rather than an internal overall level. A Lv. 19 Villager has a rougher time levelling than a Lv. 20/5 Mercenary. 20/20 takes a -lot- of grinding.
3. Usually, promotions add the difference between the two bases of a class, so a Lv. 20/20 unit would always be better than a 10/20 unit sans horrible luck. Here, promotions put you up to the base of a class at most. Promoting from Lv. 20 typically yields nothing. Due to the marginal levelling gains compared to early promotion gains, it's just much saner to promote early.
4. 20/20 just takes a lot of grinding and grinding suuuucks in this game. Believe me. I've actually done it. >.>

woopWOOP

Just got my copy, ready to start but I need to know one thing

Is the Angel Ring still in this game?

Clov

Jealous of all the people who got their copy now, or are getting it Monday. Amazon.ca won't even be delivering my copy until Tuesday, and I'm a Prime member!

Strings

With the weapon triangle gone does every combat scenario come down to raw stats?

Not really? Enemy HP is huge compared to other entries, so it mostly comes down to focus-firing 2-3 guys a turn and abusing bad AI.

EDIT: Finished the game a few weeks back, but replaying in English now.

General impressions: worst combat and map design across the series, with really awful cutscenes... Significantly improved character interactions, music, art, and UI. Basically everything that isn't the actual gameplay.

All in all, leaves me pretty hopeful in regards to the Switch game.

EDIT 2: The English VO is really fucking strong. Even VAs I'm not usually a huge fan of are putting in solid work.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got it downloaded last night, haven't played it. But home with a sick daughter today, so while she's resting I'll fire this up!

-NeoTB1-

LE arriving today! I probably won't get around to playing it for a few weeks, though. It depends on how quickly I move through the other games I'm playing.

Steiner

Banned
Posting my review today since I got it over the weekend, and needed more time past the embargo lift date. Going to post it with the subtitle, "A little less bow chika bow-wow, and a little more wow." So sue me.

Review here.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really glad to hear the VA is good, I was worried when I heard there wouldn't be JP audio. Can't wait for this to arrive today.

Just got my copy, ready to start but I need to know one thing

Is the Angel Ring still in this game?
It seems to be but serenesforest does not mention double stat gains. They are still a rare drop from a brigand (0.01%) but they don't appear in their inventory and come in an initially unusable form. The rings are still helpful but quite as broken as they were.

Top Bottom