• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

smik

i knew the beta would resemble the final product thats why i held off purchasing it until some decent reviews were up, SONY is so far behind in its online department its becoming very embarrassing just owning this console.

their has not been a beta yet (on consoles) were the game has drastically change from a beta launch, how can slantsix fuck-up the 1 thing its title relies on like Multiplayer network& server issues be so bad in the final release why didnt they just delay it, really its just not worth pushing it out the way it is.

teepo

1up review is actually fucking spot on.

this game as is stands, is nothing more then a C. it's a buggy mess but i'm sure once it's patched up (if it will ever will be), it'll be nothing less then an A.

Everdred

I completely agree with the 1up review aswell.

I really can't decide whether I want to keep this game or not. If I try to sell it now I could easily get my money back. (keeping the awesome headset of course) With all the great titles this holiday I will be plenty busy. The game is a good time when it works but I really don't feel like dealing with its problems.

Are there any other good tactical shooters out soon or that released recently?

strange_booj said:
I completely agree with the 1up review aswell.

I really can't decide whether I want to keep this game or not. If I try to sell it now I could easily get my money back. (keeping the awesome headset of course) With all the great titles this holiday I will be plenty busy. The game is a good time when it works but I really don't feel like dealing with its problems.

Are there any other good tactical shooters out soon or that released recently?

Dude just wait it out....I dunno, maybe because I haven't been trying to play it all the time right now (been pretty busy), the times I have been able to play, I've been able to log on and have some good to great matches

Gbeav

Banned
smik said:
i knew the beta would resemble the final product thats why i held off purchasing it until some decent reviews were up, SONY is so far behind in its online department its becoming very embarrassing just owning this console.

their has not been a beta yet (on consoles) were the game has drastically change from a beta launch, how can slantsix fuck-up the 1 thing its title relies on like Multiplayer network& server issues be so bad in the final release why didnt they just delay it, really its just not worth pushing it out the way it is.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The prone position + zoom with scope "bug" is annoying the fuck out of me. Has this been discussed yet?

and also places you can jump in (ledges/balconys) but cannot get OUT of without blowing yourself up with a grenade.

this game makes me super fucking mad.

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
Now I can't get in because it won't update, this has to be the buggiest game I have owned yet.

EDIT: It pops into an update screen but pops out and says initializing network. After the wheel spins for a bit it says network initializing failed. I have tried multiple times with restarts and everything. What a crock of shit.

Arsenic

Giant Robot said:
The prone position + zoom with scope "bug" is annoying the fuck out of me. Has this been discussed yet?

and also places you can jump in (ledges/balconys) but cannot get OUT of without blowing yourself up with a grenade.

this game makes me super fucking mad.
This zoom "bug" has been introduced into the game after the 4th patch on the beta. You would think they will clean it up with the 5th patch, or better yet, in the fucking retail version, but it still exists even today. Weird shit

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'm hoping that people will sell it cheap and keep the headset. I already see it for $25 on Craig's list, I'll bite at $20. Then I'll let it sit for a few patches like a fine wine, genius!

PuMa

HondaF1Fanatic said:
Now I can't get in because it won't update, this has to be the buggiest game I have owned yet.

EDIT: It pops into an update screen but pops out and says initializing network. After the wheel spins for a bit it says network initializing failed. I have tried multiple times with restarts and everything. What a crock of shit.

They are doing daily network updates that occur in the morning. I believe it's still going on. Be patient.

Malvolio

It's amazing how similar it feels to Socom 1/2 right down to the frustrating issues that plague the first few weeks. I agree with 1up. It will be a great game someday, but they better get cracking. I'm not going to wait around forever.

dork said:
I havent had a problem finding a game, but if i want to play with a friend it shouldnt be a circus.
I agree. You should be able to go to your friends list and choose "join game" or something...

It's kind of annoying sending a message every damn time asking what room and lobby are you playing in?

GQman2121

Banned
I've noticed everyone on my friends list using their comments line to let everyone know where they are. Seems to be the easiest work around for the time being.

dork

Banned
InterMoniker said:
I agree. You should be able to go to your friends list and choose "join game" or something...

It's kind of annoying sending a message every damn time asking what room and lobby are you playing in?

thats been my problem with ps3 online for awhile now. Ive been buying my games on the 360, so i dont know if its been fixed in many of the other stuff.

Arsenic said:
This zoom "bug" has been introduced into the game after the 4th patch on the beta. You would think they will clean it up with the 5th patch, or better yet, in the fucking retail version, but it still exists even today. Weird shit

im assuming the zoom bug you guys mean is when you zoom in and move it goes away sometimes?

GQman2121 said:
I've noticed everyone on my friends list using their comments line to let everyone know where they are. Seems to be the easiest work around for the time being.
That's a good idea.
dork said:
thats been my problem with ps3 online for awhile now. Ive been buying my games on the 360, so i dont know if its been fixed in many of the other stuff.

im assuming the zoom bug you guys mean is when you zoom in and move it goes away sometimes?
Some games like warhawk let you join into games that your friends are already in.

What is this scope glitch anyways...

Arsenic

dork said:

I believe its when you are in prone and you zoom in, the scope turns out to be at a level as if you were standing or crouch. Maybe there are other issues that are similar as well.

InterMoniker said:

Even in Socom 2 they had the option to see where your friends are playing. East 3, 8x8 Ranked Medley for example.

Even if you can't join a friend's game straight from the friends list, at least we should be able to see where they are playing.

GQman2121

Banned
dork said:

No.

With all of the scopes, from a prone or crouched position, you'll notice that the scope will move up a level when you zoom in.

So that means if you're prone - you zoom in - now you're crouched when looking through the scope.

Crouched - you zoom in - now you're standing when looking through the scope.

Also, with some of the scopes, bullets will land below where your cross hairs are aiming. The Medium scope I know for sure has this problem.

I use the high scope when I snipe and the only issue I've had with missing targets is when aiming through a window or over a ledge; I'll have a clear shot - fire - and have my bullet land right in front of me blowing debris in my view.

dork

Banned
Interesting, i will have to look out for that.

I did have a problem when i was scoped through a window yesterday, if i moved the scope went away :( Got me killed

The sound in this game is absolutely amazing!! The way this game sounds on a decent 5.1 surround just immerses you in the battlefield. When you hear gun shots / explosions they correspond to the correct speaker that the direction the blast is coming from. When gun fights are occurring it sounds like your at a firing range. The realistic sounds of guns from this game will amaze you, and judging of the "making of sounds" video off the disc I can see why.

I got my first game in tonight, and it was awesome. Man, by the sound of some of you guys, I thought this would end up looking like Rainbow Six on the PSOne. It's good ole Socom at its finest. I do miss Harvester, though, and the weapons menu interface needs to be cleaned up as it is a bit more cumberson than it needs to be (they should have just kept it the same).

Which room do GAFers play in?

DaFish

Gamecocks625 said:
I got my first game in tonight, and it was awesome. Man, by the sound of some of you guys, I thought this would end up looking like Rainbow Six on the PSOne. It's good ole Socom at its finest. I do miss Harvester, though, and the weapons menu interface needs to be cleaned up as it is a bit more cumberson than it needs to be (they should have just kept it the same).

Which room do GAFers play in?

Whatever Channel is open...

We did have a GAF game going last week (Thursday?) in

US CENTRAL 4 called "GAF FUN"

GodofWine

smik said:
SONY is so far behind in its online department its becoming very embarrassing just owning this console. .

I don't fault sony, I fault the developer. But I'd also give them a month to get there shit straight and then I think all reviewers should revisit it.

KGKK

Banned
Sony's not at fault here for this game. It was rush by Slant Six. The game is not broken, it just needs more work which will come with patches. Sony does have good online games like Warhawk, Resistance 2, LBP, etc. In the end, it is up to the developer.

I know once Resistance 2 is here, I will stop playing this. Till then this will have to hold over. Or depending if Far Cry 2 online is good then that.

J-Rzez

GodofWine said:
I don't fault sony, I fault the developer.

Considering that the the top two best running online games so far this gen are both on the PS3, it's pretty clear it is the devs that are the one's struggling.

If this game makes the transition Warhawk made, then all would and will be forgiven most likely.

J-Rzez said:
Considering that the the top two best running online games so far this gen are both on the PS3, it's pretty clear it is the devs that are the one's struggling.

If this game makes the transition Warhawk made, then all would and will be forgiven most likely.
Warhawk and Burnout?

Arsenic

J-Rzez said:

should we really be blaming Slant Six entirely? shouldn't sony give further internal support to them? it is their IP anyways.

Arsenic

Dave Long said:
Personally, I think this game is a disaster. It needed at least another six months of development.

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2008-10-21/socom-confrontation-ps3.aspx

Seven maps for $40 and a bunch of game modes you've played a million times before? No sale.
4 new maps at that.

Socom 2: 22 maps, 12 which were new + single player for $10 more than we are paying now.

yes this is an HD era, but i dont consider this an high quality HD type of game (ie warhawk)

KGKK

Banned
Arsenic said:
4 new maps at that.

Socom 2: 22 maps, 12 which were new + single player for $10 more than we are paying now.

yes this is an HD era, but i dont consider this an high quality HD type of game (ie warhawk)

Warhawk blows this game away. So much polish to the game other than the servers. I will be playing Socom till Friday, then Far Cry 2 comes out which will last me till LBP and Fallout 3 come out which will last me till Resistance 2 comes out. The latter 3 will last me awhile till than I will have a whole shit of games to catch up on and hopefully by then a lot of patches will have been made to this game. I mainly bought it for the mic in preperation for Resistance 2.:D

Arsenic

KGKK said:
Warhawk blows this game away. So much polish to the game other than the servers. I will be playing Socom till Friday, then Far Cry 2 comes out which will last me till LBP and Fallout 3 come out which will last me till Resistance 2 comes out. The latter 3 will last me awhile till than I will have a whole shit of games to catch up on and hopefully by then a lot of patches will have been made to this game. I mainly bought it for the mic in preperation for Resistance 2.:D
Warhawk had so many nice details to the game that it really felt worth the $40, even more now that the servers run so well. Even though the online structure started off as shit (and some parts, still are), the gameplay itself was fun and very polished. Im waiting for LBP :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
UGHH this is a shitty product. It froze on me AGAIN for the 4th time tonight. Ive been trying to play for 2 hours and ive maybe gotten in 20 minutes of playtime. Maybe.

Dave Long

Banned
During the time I was playing for review, there was one instance where no matter what game I joined, I couldn't get off the "pre-lobby". Number one, why does it ask me if I want to enter the pre-lobby? "I want to join this game." /me clicks on game "The game is in progress, would you like to go to the lobby so you can hit the start button to join the game?" WTF?!

There are so many awful problems with this game, and what really fried me while playing is how people would often just dismiss them as no big deal. They took your money and gave you a beta! Get pissed off, people!

Arsenic

Dave Long said:
During the time I was playing for review, there was one instance where no matter what game I joined, I couldn't get off the "pre-lobby". Number one, why does it ask me if I want to enter the pre-lobby? "I want to join this game." /me clicks on game "The game is in progress, would you like to go to the lobby so you can hit the start button to join the game?" WTF?!

There are so many awful problems with this game, and what really fried me while playing is how people would often just dismiss them as no big deal. They took your money and gave you a beta! Get pissed off, people!
I know im pissed. Sometimes i feel im overreacting. but wow i have not noticed that issue you mentioned. completely slipped my mind, though, i do remember it being fucking annoying because it lagged. i just never payed any attention to it.

No_Style

Dave Long said:

I'm so mad. I'm so mad that I'm going to trade this game in for Dead Space, MotorStorm: PR or some other game! Grr!

I'm serious.

Dave Long

Banned
Did any of you get that lovely glitch where your arm is all contorted? My character's hand was like above his head but still in the position it would be in to hold the barrel of the gun. It actually made aiming difficult.

What really cracked me up though was when I went back to the menus figuring that would fix it and the commando and mercenary dudes in the menu had the same contortions! lol!

Yeah, this game is busted. Stay away unless you enjoy pain.

Greg

Dave Long said:
Personally, I think this game is a disaster. It needed at least another six months of development.

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2008-10-21/socom-confrontation-ps3.aspx

Seven maps for $40 and a bunch of game modes you've played a million times before? No sale.
I normally don't give a shit, but since you decided to stick your head in and most others don't...

Six months of development... really?
Terribly unrealistic line of sight? It's called a 3rd person shooter - I'd love for you to explain to me how else it would work.
No SP in a multiplayer-only game? Those bastards!

I'm not dismissing the problems, but I am understanding in that the majority of your 'issues' with the game are things to be ironed out over time with the servers. Warhawk was an absolute failure at launch but I still appreciated what gameplay was there when things were clicking. (And look at that game now - one of the smoothest experiences PS3).

I understand you are reviewing the game in its current state, but so many of these reviews point things out as if there are game-breaking issues with the GAMEPLAY itself and not things that are going to be ironed out weeks later.

DrPirate

Banned
No_Style said:
I'm so mad. I'm so mad that I'm going to trade this game in for Dead Space, MotorStorm: PR or some other game! Grr!

I'm serious.

As am I. I'm putting it to my Motorstorm 2 preorder. Fuck Slant Six. Of all the games Sony delayed, they couldn't have delayed this one?

And it saddens me because the core game is actually fun.

Dave Long

Banned
You must be one of the guys I played with over the last few days that laughed off all the problems.

Dude, there are piles of games out there that offer a similar experience with no crashes, no hitches, no lag, faster framerates and include both single and multiplayer modes. Why play this one at all?

And the line of sight is an issue. When you come up against people who understand it, you're going to get shot again and again and never know where it came from because you won't see them before they see you. Your body doesn't need to be exposed at all to see the other guy, get the drop on him and get the kill. Perfect Dark Zero had the same problem.

Greg

Dave Long said:
You must be one of the guys I played with over the last few days that laughed off all the problems.

Dude, there are piles of games out there that offer a similar experience with no crashes, no hitches, no lag, faster framerates and include both single and multiplayer modes. Why play this one at all?
Did you read my post? I'm not laughing at anything. I've been through numerous betas and launch-day problems with online games to appreciate what's there with the gameplay itself knowing most of the server-side issues will be corrected.

And I'd ask which games you are referring too, but judging from your remarks on the camera system I'm not sure you're aware of shooters beyond the FPS genre.

EDIT: Oh, and your complaint isn't an issue with the game - that 'issue' with the camera system would only apply... if the enemy only had one route to you? Good thing they cut that map called 'Corridor'.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Greg said:
I normally don't give a shit, but since you decided to stick your head in and most others don't...

Six months of development... really?
Terribly unrealistic line of sight? It's called a 3rd person shooter - I'd love for you to explain to me how else it would work.
No SP in a multiplayer-only game? Those bastards!

I'm not dismissing the problems, but I am understanding in that the majority of your 'issues' with the game are things to be ironed out over time with the servers. Warhawk was an absolute failure at launch but I still appreciated what gameplay was there when things were clicking. (And look at that game now - one of the smoothest experiences PS3).

I understand you are reviewing the game in its current state, but so many of these reviews point things out as if there are game-breaking issues with the GAMEPLAY itself and not things that are going to be ironed out weeks later.

Warhawk was nowhere even REMOTELY in the same ballpark as this game. Warhawk had a problem letting people in games and sometimes it didnt record stats.

This game runs like ass sometimes, all the menus run like ass all the time and there are a ton of them, features on the damn box are missing, the game crashes ALL the time, sometimes it doesnt record stats as well, the invite system is broken and the servers randomly crash.

alterno69

Banned
If only Warhawk was half as fun as SOCOM for me.

I have Warhawk and i just don't have any fun with it, i love SOCOM, it has problems but i can wait for them to fix them cause the foundation is there, the game when it works is the best.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
alterno69 said:
If only Warhawk was half as fun as SOCOM for me.

I have Warhawk and i just don't have any fun with it, i love SOCOM, it has problems but i can wait for them to fix them cause the foundation is there, the game when it works is the best.

ya its really a fun game, but as i said earlier i got less than half an hour of playtime out of 2 hours trying. that should not happen ever in a retail game. the killzone 2 beta runs laps around this game, stability wise.

Greg

_tetsuo_ said:
Warhawk was nowhere even REMOTELY in the same ballpark as this game. Warhawk had a problem letting people in games and sometimes it didnt record stats.

This game runs like ass sometimes, all the menus run like ass all the time and there are a ton of them, features on the damn box are missing, the game crashes ALL the time, sometimes it doesnt record stats as well, the invite system is broken and the servers randomly crash.
I'm not here to debate which game had more issues (even though in my experience at launch, that would be Warhawk) - the fact is, the issues were mainly server-related and fixed within a reasonable amount of time. Sure, we'd all like a perfect product at launch, but online experiences are pretty fucking dynamic to even assume you'd come close to that. In terms of stability, Resistance was one of my best experiences across all platforms, but even that had its issues (once again, fixed over time).

Whether or not you're willing to wait is up to you, but to COMPLETELY dismiss a game because of those issues is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom