• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space IGN Review

SPEA

9.0 Presentation
A deep story and incredible atmosphere with tons of horror influences make Dead Space one of those titles that is a great starting point for a franchise.

9.0 Graphics
Visually striking, everything from the holograms to the Necromorphs is incredible. Pixilation during depressurization and mild slowdown crimp its style.

9.5 Sound
Voice acting is delivered beautifully, but it's the sound design that will have you jumping out of your seat and sending shivers down your spine.

8.5 Gameplay
A strong mix of action and exploration is only hampered by repetitive, though appropriate, backtracking and odd navigation issues.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story. However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Written Review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/918/918892p1.html
Video Review: http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/850400/dead-space/videos/deadspace_vidrev_101108.html

Zeliard

Nice score, just about what I expected. Anyone know if they're releasing a demo pre-release? I'm assuming not since the game is out on thursday.

StuBurns

Banned
Score is kind of what I expected, backtracking is heart breaking though.
Can we not get a big gaming census that bans that from now on?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nice score for the GOTY. Though for some reason I expected a little higher. Don't care, have had paid in full for months.

maxax

I still thought this game could go either way really, but with this, my preorder seems justified.
Can't wait. :D

When I realized it was coming out next week I went to buy it and then paused at what version to buy. I searched and found out PS3 has trophies so I flipped a coin. PS3 version preordered! Can't wait to play it.

Mrbob

8.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story. However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

Oh boy...I can see it already. EA will probably charge to unlock a higher difficulty.

Anyway, nice score. Game sounds good. I really want to try this game out but I'm worried it will be too scary for me.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
stuburns said:

Well done backtracking can be awesome, there's nothing wrong with that. The game is on my radar since it was announced but other gaes will take the preference this winter I think, will get it later down the road.

StuBurns

Banned
Mistouze said:
Well done backtracking can be awesome, there's nothing wrong with that. The game is on my radar since it was announced but other gaes will take the preference this winter I think, will get it later down the road.
It's always soul sucking to me.
It probably can be done well, but none have been that I've played yet.

StuBurns

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm expecting both versions are indentical becuase this is an EA game. Correct?
There were some reports that the PS3 version was a little ruff a couple of weeks ago.

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Oh boy...I can see it already. EA will probably charge to unlock a higher difficulty.

I thought this was a junior member post, then I look left and its Mrbob. Close enough!

DrBo42

stuburns said:
If we ban this, no more Zelda, Metroid, or Halo games can be made. Come to think of it, that's not really a bad thing. :lol

Draft

Mrbob said:

Anyway, nice score. Game sounds good. I really want to try this game out but I'm worried it will be too scary for me.
If I'm reading this right, it's exactly like Resident Evil 4's new game +. You can't new game + from normal into professional. You have to beat professional once "for real" and now you have a game you can redo while keeping your gear and weapons.

stuburns said:
There were some reports that the PS3 version was a little ruff a couple of weeks ago.

It looked perfectly fine in the Qore video. There could obviously be some differences between them but from that it looked no different from the 360 footage i've seen.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
stuburns said:
Not sure where you heard that. PS3 version is on par with the 360...check out the IGN vids; all the September ones are PS3.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It looked perfectly fine in the Qore video. There could obviously be some differences between them but from that it looked no different from the 360 footage i've seen.
That's good to know, I guess it was just old builds, or bullshit.

SpokkX

Nice

Would have bought if it was released 2-3 months ago. Now it will have to wait since there are just too many great games coming

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Draft said:
If I'm reading this right, it's exactly like Resident Evil 4's new game +. You can't new game + from normal into professional. You have to beat professional once "for real" and now you have a game you can redo while keeping your gear and weapons.
The video review makes it clear that this is the case.

purg3

slept with Malkin
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story.

sounds good, I was a little worried about replay value, but...

However, you'll be locked on the initial difficulty level that you chose when you started the game, and won't have the opportunity to switch. This can make the second playthrough feel a bit skewed because it's quite easy to fly through with an over-augmented Isaac. If you return to the main menu and choose a higher difficulty level (including the unlocked Impossible mode) you lose these upgrades and have to start over, which is rather disappointing.

Very stupid design decision if you ask me. Still can't wait to play it though.

Truespeed

In after no 9. Game is a masterpiece visually, auditory and most importantly story. IGN needs to be reprimanded for this atrocity.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SPEA said:
9.0 Presentation
A deep story and incredible atmosphere with tons of horror influences make Dead Space one of those titles that is a great starting point for a franchise.

jesus christ, what's wrong with this industry?

i want a fully formed, complete story. fuck pre-emptive sequelitis.

However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

When I first read that I was under the impression that there was only one difficulty level. After reading the review I understand the complaint a little better (although I don't agree with it).

maxax

ghst said:
jesus christ, what's wrong with this industry?

i want a fully formed, complete story. fuck pre-emptive sequelitis.
Who said there isn't a complete story in there? There are even additional graphic novels and an animated movie to expand the story of the game.

The possibility of a sequel doesn't mean that the story isn't conclusive, and even if it isn't that's not necesserily bad or speaks for lack of depth.

boco77

Banned
Only 8.7?
Wasnt it getting "better than RE4" type reviews in other places?

It will be good but RE5 will walk all over it.

Top Bottom