• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2017: Don't talk about the #FifthJob

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Earth job is... Chemist. Bleh, at least I have 5th job to look forward to. One chemist is awesome, but a second chemist is the most useless job I could have gotten. Even a second Bard would have been better.

Probably ends my low level nonsense. With two chemists there won't be any avoiding farming a lot of mix ingredients. Turtle population is now on notice.

Waltzing my way through Galuf's world. It's kind of dumb how good this group of jobs is. Not so great at damage unless I burn through excessive ingredients, but more or less unstoppable otherwise. Swap Chemist#2 for a Blue Mage and it might be the most broken Fiesta party possible.

Interestingly, Leviathan might actually be worth something with a Chemist/Summoner combo. It's normally completely useless because it's weaker than an Air Knife boosted Syldra summon but costs a lot more MP. But Chemist has an elemental power boosting mix that DOES boost water, thus Leviathan.

It would be a neat novelty, but I'm not sure I'll put the time into getting it. With my current group of jobs I have no reason to do any extra dungeons in W3 after the Pyramid, so that's three extra dungeons for it. Boosted Syldra is already going to do ridiculous damage when backed by a Chemist and a Bard.

5th job is Geomancer. If nothing else it will be good, MP-free damage against the final boss. More than a second chemist adds.

This is my first time playing a Final Fantasy game let alone V, so here's to hoping the RNG gods smile upon me. Going for the "normal" run, at least to start.

Edit: Got White Mage, so at least I'll have some kind of healer!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first time playing a Final Fantasy game let alone V, so here's to hoping the RNG gods smile upon me. Going for the "normal" run, at least to start.

Make sure you get the flail at the start of the ship graveyard. It will give you at least some damage output until you get to the next crystal.

White mage is great, but it can be a challenge early game as your only job tbh since it's damage output is nil on anything not undead (since undead are damaged by healing spells and items)

gaiages

Banned
So question, I have a Blue Mage but no White Mage, Bard, or Beastmaster. Am I unable to get White Wind until after World 1? I found a document saying the Dancing Dagger will confuse enemies, but that's World 2.

I DO have a Ninja though, so I'm kind of praying for something I missed that I can throw at them. Is there anything like that? :eek:

Job #2: Mage #2

Pulled another Mage last night (Red). Seems like a pretty useful job, but at the same time I'm missing out on a lot of the big physical attackers. Guess we'll just have to see what's in store next time.

Jazzem

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Job #2: Mage #2

Pulled another Mage last night (Red). Seems like a pretty useful job, but at the same time I'm missing out on a lot of the big physical attackers. Guess we'll just have to see what's in store next time.

Red mage will be nice for a while, but pretty terrible after that. It does give you access to rods and swords (ancient sword is nice since you don't have Time mage), and you already have White to back it up. So not too bad, but still a bleh job.

Aside from their squishiness, mages are generally better than physical jobs. Some exceptions on both sides, but overall mages give you more opportunity to exploit weaknesses and vulnerabilities. So a party of mages and support jobs is pretty powerful. My current run is summoned/Bard/chemist/geomancer. It's ridiculously powerful.

Kyuur

Started my upgrade chaos run; first job was Ninja. I'll be sticking with it to mastery because dual wield is too good to pass up. Nearing the end of W1 now (post boss rush). Throw is really good, the game even throws enough at you before you can buy them to win some tough fights without grinding if you conserve (Byblos mainly).

Also making this run "brave" which I have never done (no running) just in case I end up with Knight or something. Hope I can win against Jackanapes so I can get the mantle!

Man, I knew secondhand that Chemist was OP, but going up against W2 Exdeath I just put !Mix on three of my characters and had them spam Samson's Might (Antidote + Holy Water) on Butz while he did !Rapid Fire, and... well, after a couple rounds he was doing about 5000 damage a turn. Chemistry!

Estoc

Also making this run "brave" which I have never done (no running) just in case I end up with Knight or something. Hope I can win against Jackanapes so I can get the mantle!
Is it even possible to get the mantle early without running? I play the mobile version, so admittedly, running "tactic" there is easy mode: game automatically saves when I exit battle, so I can edge closer to the chest each time I run, provided that I don't run into it too much, I should be able to make it out with all the treasures with one member alive.

I've never used brave blade... :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

My first Fiesta started with a WHM as well. As stated just be sure to get the flail from a chest(not difficult to miss) and anything undead can be damaged with your cure spells which makes the graveyard super easy. The dungeon after can be a bit tough, but only due to limited offense, survivability isn't a problem.

SkyOdin

Is it even possible to get the mantle early without running? I play the mobile version, so admittedly, running "tactic" there is easy mode: game automatically saves when I exit battle, so I can edge closer to the chest each time I run, provided that I don't run into it too much, I should be able to make it out with all the treasures with one member alive.

I've never used brave blade... :(
I got that mantle once when aiming to get the Brave Blade, but I can't remember whether or not I actually beat a Jackernapes or not. I think I had to put it off until late in World 1. Reseting a lot was also necessary.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't think I saw this mentioned yet, but good timing on the most recent episode of Retronauts...

https://retronauts.com/article/427/retronauts-episode-106-final-fantasy-v

Good episode so far(halfway through). I usually avoid retro-gaming podcasts as I am easily triggered by false info or inaccurate implications about balancing or mechanics(Cane and Rinse is about the only one I can stand, but those guys do their homework).

Though I did love Retronauts a decade ago before it died off briefly, I haven't listened since they re-emerged. This episode got me to resub. Might even check out Kohler's book on the game too.

Neku89

I'll be very quick: any chance of beating Omega with Red/Monk/Berserker/Dancer? I tried going the slow & careful route (kill the Berserker, equip Reflect Rings, heal with Elixirs after Wave Cannon, attack only after a reflected Search) but it's too fast and I can't seem to find an opening to attack.

Thoughts?

Made some more progress over the past two days. I reached the Fire Crystal...only for my job to not be there. Guess I'll be finding that soon. Made it to Jachol no problem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As one would imagine, NED wasn't really a "fight" so much as a total massacre with Summoner/Bard/Chemist/Geo. Used chemistry and golem to stall Exdeath while the Bard and Geomancer buffed level, magic, and agility through the power of song.

After that, no damns were given. No items. No lamp. No mixes. Just waves of Syldra and Wind Slash. The poor beast never got a single move in.

IwkcoRx.png

Shinryu and Omega didn't fare much better.

diWB1TV.png

Bnjs7y6.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I finally completed my set and got a Blue Mage.

Haven't used one in over a decade in FF V. I forgot how much I missed level 5 death.

I even got a Bard in the same run which allows you to get every spell besides 1000 Needles and Level 3 Flare at the earliest possible fight.

Finally got my Ranger and took down the sand worm. They were actually super helpful and probably the main damage dealer during the fight. Probably going to grind two or three levels before I venture into the next area proper.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got that mantle once when aiming to get the Brave Blade, but I can't remember whether or not I actually beat a Jackernapes or not. I think I had to put it off until late in World 1. Reseting a lot was also necessary.

You can save abuse your way there or beat them with certain parties pretty easily at the end of world one. It's weak to Level 5 Death. Axes can penetrate its defenses as can berserked monks/knights with double grip. Shurikens will OHKO them. Sand Bear probably will too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Run 5 is No750. Monk/Berserker/Knight so far. At least the Knight/Berserker combo is nice, I guess.

Monk and Berserker are also fun. You can give HP 30% for the Exdeath fight and with the Aegis Shield and a Thor's Hammer stick them in the back row doing steady damage while the rest of the run you put them in front with double grip eating everything for breakfast.

Giving Axes to Monk actually works out pretty well in some parts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Monk and Berserker are also fun. You can give HP 30% for the Exdeath fight and with the Aegis Shield and a Thor's Hammer stick them in the back row doing steady damage while the rest of the run you put them in front with double grip eating everything for breakfast.

Giving Axes to Monk actually works out pretty well in some parts.

Oh I like Berserker. I just don't like Monk :p As of now my endgame (or maybe just ASAP) option for Monk will probably be equip axes, but earth crystal may change that.

Going to have to cope with the fact this run is going to need levels. Ifrit is basically a sign saying you must be this tall to continue, and at level 8 I am simply not that tall. My level 21 Chemist and Bard from the last run already felt "overleveled," but I'll probably be pushing 30 with this run unless I get Mystic Knight.

Zebei

Just got off of the dragon mountain. Boss was literally just casting Bio on the boss and 5 mooks over and over. . .yay I guess?

Hoping to get this game done by the end of August. Chemist is starting to be a liability since I dont feel like using mix

Also got Swift song. awesome

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Chemist is a funny class. I mean, Mix is the best ability in the game, but it's also both the most complicated and not the innate ability of the class. Meaning that in non Natural Fiesta runs Chemist can strangely be one of your least powerful characters because other classes can usually fit Mix with their regular class ability while Chemist kinda needs to mix!

Drinks alone are still pretty good, mind you.

WilyRook

I'm having Twintania trouble. I thought you could reflect gigaflare? Party's Dragoon, White Mage, Berserker, and Ranger. Any tips? Thankee-sai.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having Twintania trouble. I thought you could reflect gigaflare? Party's Dragoon, White Mage, Berserker, and Ranger. Any tips? Thankee-sai.

You could try to proc instant death during the gigaflare charge by giving the dragoon or ranger the assassin dagger and everyone else equip axes and death sickles. If you get all four attacks in, more likely than not one of them will activate.

It's also weak to Holy, so if several characters have White6 you could spam that and reflect the megaflare counters for extra damage.

WilyRook

You could try to proc instant death during the gigaflare charge by giving the dragoon or ranger the assassin dagger and everyone else equip axes and death sickles. If you get all four attacks in, more likely than not one of them will activate.

It's also weak to Holy, so if several characters have White6 you could spam that and reflect the megaflare counters for extra damage.

Sounds good. I'll have to lower the battle speed, though, because the gigaflare charge time is practically instant, I can't even get one attack in between the charging and the firing.

Also Omniscient is too much for me as well. I couldn't get Holy. He does too much damage when I berserk him, and he shrugs off silence pretty quickly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This boss is dumb :(

GOh35LX.png

Took forever to get a decent run at it.

Earth job is Beastmaster. One of these days I will actually get to enjoy the benefits of that job without a Berserker completely ruining it.

Purobolos is going to be a pain. More grinding.

Post-Purobolos it's been a cakewalk up to the barrier tower. Going to need reflect rings for this group. Got a ring from the very first reflect knight, so they are probably going to get stingy for the later ones.

First TWO gave me reflect rings.

Three out of five. Wat.

Four of out of six. brb buying a lottery ticket.

100% Autopilot for the crystal battle.

7o2nTDT.png

Coverguard Knight eliminating all damage while the Berserker keeps trying to Death Sickle them.

Wanted to make the Berserker mini to reduce damage, but the character training as a Berserker was the very last one to get Liliputian Lyric cast on them. Had to feed a Mini Mage an ether because they ran out of MP before they managed to get it. Not like these jobs needed that ether anyway.

Last crystal is taking so long I'm getting worried it won't die before it hits 3k HP. After 598 hits it will kill me.

I guess Exdeath wants more levels. I'm level 18 and he's one shotting me in the front row and my damage kind of sucks even with two-handed.

Estoc

What's "coverguard"? I see it mentioned here and there, but I rarely get Knight in my runs, so I haven't much experience with the job and its strategies.

Also, congrats on possibly the shortest reflect-ring farming run in FFV history, chaosblade.

Zelias

Banned
What's "coverguard"? I see it mentioned here and there, but I rarely get Knight in my runs, so I haven't much experience with the job and its strategies.

Also, congrats on possibly the shortest reflect-ring farming run in FFV history, chaosblade.
Guard protects against physical attacks, Cover protects allies in critical HP. Guard still applies to covering allies, so keep the rest of your party on low health and you're immune to physical attacks.

Zebei

Just beat Atomos.

Man, that thing would have scared the shit out of me as a kid. Would have had nightmares about being unable to move while being dragged into the void. . .

Found a decent grinding spot in front of Ghido's cave, so Lena has mastered Black Mage, and Faris (Bard) can now use Red Magic 3 now, which is great since it's the only way I can use whire magic if Bartz gets insta-gibbed.

Bio has been an absolute life saver by the way.

Anyone good with stats know if it's better to have a Red mage with Sing as an ability or a Bard with Red Magic as an ability?

So many deaths in this game RIP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Atomos.

Man, that thing would have scared the shit out of me as a kid. Would have had nightmares about being unable to move while being dragged into the void. . .

Found a decent grinding spot in front of Ghido's cave, so Lena has mastered Black Mage, and Faris (Bard) can now use Red Magic 3 now, which is great since it's the only way I can use whire magic if Bartz gets insta-gibbed.

Bio has been an absolute life saver by the way.

Anyone good with stats know if it's better to have a Red mage with Sing as an ability or a Bard with Red Magic as an ability?

So many deaths in this game RIP.

The best grinding spot is actually in the castle basement. Bad experience, but great ABP and cash. Blue Mage can 1HKO the whole group with L5 Death, but any party can use Gold Needles and kill them instantly.

Low experience sounds bad, but with your jobs level really doesn't matter at all.

Statistically, Bard's speed and magic(!) are better. Red Mage's HP is less bad, but still bad. So a Bard with !Red would be better, but the difference is pretty negligible.

Bard has better things to do than cast weak magic anyway, especially late in the game. You can pull some hilarious cheese with the Bard/Chemist combo. Turn enemies into dragons with science. Use harp that deals 8x damage against dragons. Laugh as you deal 4000+ damage by simply attacking.

fester

Banned
Well, my progress has been damn slow, but finally had time to unlock all four jobs: Black Mage, Summoner, White Mage, Samurai. Should be fun...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best grinding spot is actually in the castle basement. Bad experience, but great ABP and cash. Blue Mage can 1HKO the whole group with L5 Death, but any party can use Gold Needles and kill them instantly.

Low experience sounds bad, but with your jobs level really doesn't matter at all.

Statistically, Bard's speed and magic(!) are better. Red Mage's HP is less bad, but still bad. So a Bard with !Red would be better, but the difference is pretty negligible.

Bard has better things to do than cast weak magic anyway, especially late in the game. You can pull some hilarious cheese with the Bard/Chemist combo. Turn enemies into dragons with science. Use harp that deals 8x damage against dragons. Laugh as you deal 4000+ damage by simply attacking.

If you're stuck with a low damage party that can use Staffs Ghido's cave is actually a decent place to grind for Staffs of Light to get past Exdeath.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've beaten the game four times this year and finally got the last job I needed to have run every single job in the fiesta. Blue Mage.

I haven't used a Blue Mage in FF V since it originally came out on the GBA 11 years ago. I missed them so much.

Anyways all of my runs so far this year have been fun.

I just had an easy go of it with Black Mage/Thief/Time Mage/Monk

Not getting Thief right away makes them an attractive class. Time and Black before time got good in world three really helped out the Monk, who was necessary in order to take the one Algamest that wrecked the rest of the party (I could have redone the fight and probably killed that part before it got one off, or used the wonder wand to shell someone else) but since the Monk had Time I could Quick to revive everyone and pass out Elixirs, which I had 50 of because of Thief. This party also was enough to beat Omega (did the HP Leak for the first time because I had an awful lot of time to kill last night) and Shinryu (Berserk with Power Staff, Mirage Vests on the Thief and Monk, lots of Quick and Firaga/Meteor)

Before that I also had Knight/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer. I like this party a lot. I went Brave Blade because I hate running, gave everyone ribbons for Exdeath fun. Exdeath castle was the only really hard fight but I got some lucky Sword dances to get him into stage three and then I could do some cover/reflect shenanigans to win the day. Geomancer is super helpful on a team that can't run.

Black Mage/Blue Mage/Bard/Time Mage. Powerful party. Level 2 Old makes Exdeath a joke. This party could easily power through Omega and Neo Exdeath, who didn't even hit me once in his final form. Level 5 Death makes ABP leveling a breeze. Bard allowed me to get White Wind early. In fact the only Blue Magic I couldn't get at their first appearance were 1000 Needles (without Beastmaster it is a world three spell) and Level 3 Flare (which requires an insanely specific party to get at first go, you need a chemist beastmaster and blue mage) but I got that one against Exdeath.

My very first party was the worst I got all year, and still not that bad. Monk/Berserker/Ninja/Dragoon. I love starting with Monk as it has no problem with any world one boss but man they are a drag later on. Ninja and Berserker is always fun for double axes. Dragoon fit in with the rest well enough. Basically a classic No 750 party...without chooseing No 750.

I might do one or two more runs in August.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Six times beaten, and I even got another class down, Freelancer in the Pure Chaos Mode...as my first character...while playing upgrade.

This actually lent to an interesting scenario because my Water Crystal Character was Dancer...so I couldn't upgrade even when I wanted to. The entire party ended up being Rangers, who, well, needed Rapid Fire to be good rangers. My third job was Samurai, which is an awesome job to beat the game with and maybe I should have never unlocked the fourth job but that isn't in the spirit of things.

Might as well post an update. Soul Cannon was a snap to beat with two Coral swords and Kick. Arcaheoaevis was no problem either, leading to my Earth job, Dancer! I've had Dancer in previous runs, and found it to be pretty useful. It's a good combo with the Knight too, since I can use Equip Shields and Equip Swords with the Dancer to make them more viable in the front row. My final party for this year is Knight/Time Mage/Monk/Dancer! As for the Meteor bosses, they were also no issue with rod-breaking and the Knight's sheer strength (and a few lucky hits from Dancer). Stocked up on a bunch of Rods, and I was off to World 2!

Gilgamesh wasn't much of a threat in any of his battles, especially once the party got access to Hastega. T-Rex fell to one Phoenix Down as usual. Dragon Pod's flowers could be one-shotted with !Kick, so it was a matter of alternating between that and breaking a few Rods. I got one Reflect Ring in the Barrier Tower, and put it on the Bone Mail Dancer until I got a Flame Shield. Atomos was a bit tricky, but manageable. The Crystals went down pretty easily, especially once I realized that they were vulnerable to Graviga, that and Hasted physical attacks made short work of them. Exdeath's Castle wasn't much of a problem thanks to Float. Exdeath himself was another story entirely. The first time I faced him, I was wiped out by Zombie Breath. The second time was still tough, but I managed to pull it off with plenty of healing items, Hastegas/Regens, and a bunch of broken rods. Onwards to World 3!

Dezner

Hey guys, quick question! :eek:

What exactly is the difference between Chaos and Pure Chaos? I've been running Chaos the past few years and decided to try Pure Chaos this year. Is it exactly the same, except that Freelancer/Mime is added to the pool? o_o

fester

Banned
Maybe a dumb question, but I submitted a victory picture a few days ago, but don't seem to have any indication that it's gone through. Am I doing something wrong?

#Victory! And with a few days to spare!

At first, I was worried about my chances against Neo ExDeath, and these worries were well-founded, as Almagest easily took out my Time Mage and Dancer, and left the Knight and Monk as the only ones alive. So, I teleported out of the rift, stocked up on Hi-Potions/Phoenix Down/Cottages, picked up a third Coral Ring and Hermes Sandal, and headed back into the Rift to grind a bit.

But first, I should rewind back to the start of World 3, where I left off at in my last post. My first destination, after the castle and antlion stuff, was Moore, where I finally picked up the Brave Blade for my Knight (and any Dancers with Equip Swords), my first time wielding one. It just so happens that there weren't any battles that I needed to run from, so the blade was fully-powered (300 attack w/ Two-Handed). Naturally, this allowed me to pretty much blow through most random mobs for a while, since the damage it puts out is pretty stable.

Sekhmet: Not much stronger than a random against BB. Melusine: Dancer and Knight took her out pretty quickly. (Got the Excalibur from Kuza, which made random mobs even easier with Dancer) Wendigo: Hit 'em hard when I found 'em. Minotaur: Knight+Monk = Overwhelming Force. Omniscient: Dancer was pretty useless in this fight, so after they fell, a Reflect Ring'd Time Mage hit Omni with Comet over and over again. Trench: Float really came in handy here. Trio: Magic Lamp Odin. Istory Falls: Dancer's !Flirt worked pretty well against Tonberry, making this a pretty good grind spot. Leviathan: Knight had a Coral Ring, and was the only survivor. Rift: Most mobs were pretty simple to beat. It wasn't until the final area that the mobs started to pose a real threat. Calofisteri: BB and other attacks outpaced her Drain. Apanda: Confused my Knight and got some good hits in, went down pretty easily the second time. Azulmagia: Got some good hits in, but never really capitalized on them. Catastrophe: Float -> 100 Gs -> Float -> Repeat. Halicarnassus: No problem with a Dancer. Twintania: The key was surviving until Giga Flare, which was tough, but when the time came, I only needed to Banish. Gilgamesh: Stole Genji items with the Thief's Knife. Necrophobe: The barriers only got one or two rounds in, as for Nec himself, he hit hard, but couldn't stand up to BB, Excalibur, Punches, and Quick Meteors.

Anyways, back to ExDeath. I needed reliable healing, so I quickly realized that Regen and Quick were the best of buds, as the Regen was still active during Quick's time freeze, so I could just wait around after a hard hit for my team to heal completely. Time-consuming, but necessary. I also realized that an unbuffed Monk is relatively useless in this fight, as punches were not outputting the same level of damage as Sword Dance and 2-handed BB. Finally, I decided to gain a few levels and ABP when I saw how Almagest wiped out most of my team (usually followed by Grand Cross, Meteor, or Vacuum Wave on the survivors. I only needed to go up to lvl 41 (39 for Lenna), thankfully, and everyone except for Krile mastered all four jobs in the process.

After grinding out a few Iron Giants and the other Castle enemies, I headed back into the final area with a new strategy. I changed Dancer's ability from Equip Swords to HP +30% to increase their chances against Almagest, and since the Monk wouldn't be doing much punching during this fight, I gave her Time Magic to act as a backup Quick caster. This meant that each round, I could attack with Brave Blade, Man-Eater Sword Dances, and up to 4 Meteors; if I needed a rest, I now had two chances to heal with Quick+Regen or Quick+Elixir. This new strategy was more successful than I expected. Those few extra levels really helped, as the entire party was able to survive Almagest, and the Grand Cross part died before it got a chance to cast it. The toughest part was the final one, as it was able to cast 2 Meteors (that only hit a few party members) and an Almagest, but it was weakened enough beforehand to fall within a few rounds of Quick Meteors. #Victory!

Just some thoughts on this year's party:
- Knight was pretty much self-sufficient, as 2-handed was the only ability I had on them.
- Monk and Dancer worked well together. Dancer could use Barehanded (~5000 damage Sword Dance) and the HP boosts. Monk could use Equip Ribbons to stop status effects in their tracks (and Flirt against Tonberry).
- Equip Swords was incredibly useful on Dancer, and pretty useful on Monk.
- Equip Shields was good on Time Mage, especially with the Flame/Aegis/Genji Shields.
- Having a Time Mage on board was nice, as the party could Haste much earlier than usual, and we had a reliable source of Float for the dungeons and battles that require it. Return was pretty useful as well for negating any back attacks. Quick was really good in the late-game. Rod-breaking pretty much stopped after World 2 Exdeath, since the party had so much physical power by then.
- Time Magic was also pretty useful on non-magic jobs, as the category's set effects and randomized damages weren't dependent on stats.
- As much as I enjoyed the Brave Blade's raw power, I probably won't go for it again in the future, as it is much more pleasant to be able to run away from battles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Equip Shields is secretly one of the best utility abilities in the game. While ironically shields aren't always great for knights they are quite great for classes that have one handed weapons (or don't need a rod to boost their damage) because of the Aegis/Flame/Ice/Genji Shields. Equip Armor is better in world one where you can almost negate damage by equipping it but the ability to absorb elementals without using your relic slot is a godsend, let alone the ability to equip the Aegis shield which is the best defensive item in the game.

Top Bottom