• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Rally 3 (Arcade)

For those of you that haven’t been following the Sega Rally 3 saga over the past few months, the game was originally location tested under the name “Super Challenge” (in fact, the name still makes a cameo on the final cabinet, as you’ll see later on). Users of the test machine quickly identified some striking similarities to Sega Rally Revo (or just Sega Rally in Europe), a series update for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC by the UK-based Sega Racing Studio. As I found out today, Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally 3 were developed side by side, and as a result they share many of the same assets - the music is largely the same and art is shared between the two. The game is an important project for Sega Amusements Europe, as the software has been wholly developed in Europe and is the first attempt by the branch at creating a motion cabinet. However, I’m pleased to say that Sega Rally 3 stands out as an individual game, thanks to a variety of new features and some more subtle changes.

Detailed impressions and some photos after the post break!

The most immediately obvious changes are in the technology and consequently the graphical performance. Sega Rally 3 runs on the brand new and extremely powerful Europa-R board, which sports a dual core Intel processor, 4 gigabytes of RAM and an 8800 series NVidia graphics chipset. This allows the game to run at 60 frames per second at a 720p resolution, as opposed to the 30 frames per second of the console game. I’m used to the X360 version of the game, and played the PS3 version for a quick comparison. The difference is actually quite staggering, and the higher framerate allows for the design of the game to really shine through - from blue skies and sandy beaches to little flourishes like a rocket launch in the Canyon stage. I really would go so far as to say that it is the best looking arcade game that I have yet seen, and that includes Sega’s own efforts on the Lindbergh board.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2008/05/24/sega-rally-3-hands-on-impressions/

http://arcadeheroes.com/2008/05/23/sega-rally-3-revealed/

http://arcadeheroes.com/2008/05/24/sega-rally-3-videos/

^ low res vids

ram

sega rally - unplayable with joypad, awesome with steering wheel - no wonder, why sega showed the game last year only with wheel.

camineet

Banned
OMG this is the first I've heard of it.

Sega Rally 3.... a beefed up 60fps version of Sega Rally Revo running on more powerful PC-based hardware, that's not only more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3, but more powerful than Lindbergh as well. Holy Shit I wanna see this in motion.

Pachael

I think most thought that with SRS folding, the Revo arcade release would not eventuate. This shows otherwise, and that can only be a good thing.

GrayFoxPL

ram said:
sega rally - unplayable with joypad, awesome with steering wheel - no wonder, why sega showed the game last year only with wheel.

Heh, that's so true. I was really looking forward or the game, then I played the demo...

Horrible, insanly bad controls. I never say this, as I always think it's overacting, but in this case it really is unplayable with a pad.

Shame, the gfx are nice.

Manager

I've totally missed out on the PC version of Sega Rally. I've read some reviews and it says that the game controls exactly the same way as on X360 when you use an X360 controller.
What about the graphics and requirements, do you have to have a monster rig to play it on over 30 fps? Anyone have any screenshots or so?

1-D_FTW

I find the game perfectly playable (PC) using the 360 pad. Though I have heard the force feedback is amazing on the G25.

bee said:
so its basically just the pc version in an arcade cabinet with a few extras

Hard to tell by those videos, but it sure seems that way doesn't it.

Manager said:
I've totally missed out on the PC version of Sega Rally. I've read some reviews and it says that the game controls exactly the same way as on X360 when you use an X360 controller.
What about the graphics and requirements, do you have to have a monster rig to play it on over 30 fps? Anyone have any screenshots or so?

You can always download the demo. Helps to have a good video card. Game is sex with an 8800GT. When I first downloaded the demo with a 7950, I had a memory leak that caused the game to hard crash after 1 or 2 laps. Only game ever to give that card trouble, so I have no idea what the problem was.

acm2000

nice one sega, you make the british sega racing studio create the first decent console sega rally for years, and make them develop your next arcade game, then fucking shut them down.... ugh

bee

1-D_FTW said:
I find the game perfectly playable (PC) using the 360 pad. Though I have heard the force feedback is amazing on the G25

ye ive played it using both and they're both fine for me, although obviously the g25 wheel is definetely the better choice, its a really awesome game such a shame it was largely ignored

VNZ

Ayeah! Here's hoping I'll catch one of these bad boys this summer... Awesome that they've redone the 4 screen super-wide attract mode.

GrayFoxPL

cjelly said:
You guys saying it's unplayable with a pad... have you tried using bumper cam? The game is entirely different then.

I did. It doesn't change the fact it still feels like drifting with a tank. Mind you, I'm comparing the experience on Saturn SR, Dreamcast SR2 and this, and it really comes out unplayable.

Beefy arcade machine! Looks like we can kiss goodbye to the age of arcade-perfect por-wait, when was the last game that even had an arcade port.

Bitchin'.

Noticed that the some of the tracks were from Revo and looked to have graphical updates. Hopefully we'll get a sequel to Revo on the consoles.... by far one of my favorite racers from Sega. :D

GoDLiKe

acm2000 said:
nice one sega, you make the british sega racing studio create the first decent console sega rally for years, and make them develop your next arcade game, then fucking shut them down.... ugh
Because nobody bought it? It's a shame, SEGA Rally Evo is one of the best arcade racers in years, while it's not perfect it's, at the same time, a perfect revival for the series (SR 2006 was atrocious).

I hope this 3rd game have best luck.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
VictimOfGrief said:
Hopefully we'll get a sequel to Revo on the consoles.... by far one of my favorite racers from Sega. :D
would you mind coming out to the hall with me? I have...something to tell you...

Pachael

acm2000 said:

This is why I'm hung up about Sales-age once in a while. Game doesn't sell squat anywhere, studio gets shut down despite team spending a lot on development of game. Ta-fuckin'-da. If Sega Rally 3 doesn't sell either in the arcades, then the franchise truly is dead - heck if 'Sega Rally 3' were announced three years ago (before 2006 or Revo) Sega fans would be hyper excited, now it's 'meh' because Revo has come out and flopped hard. Too bad we don't get actual numbers since I think it's sold barely OK over multiplatform.

Rhazer Fusion said:
It looks good and all, but if it isn't coming to home consoles, it doesn't matter to me sadly. :/
Could it even come to home consoles without severe downgrades? The spec of the machine is way beyond 360 and PS3.

1-D_FTW

Well I'm failing to see the differences between Revo TBH. It's clearly using the same engine. And the PC game runs 720P and 60fps (which looks freaking awesome on a big screen. It's arcadetastic!)

sorry to hear cats had issue with Sega Rally Revo with a pad....had no trouble eventually getting the hang of the chase cam controls with 360 version....PS3 version was more difficult though as deadzone seemed to be bigger with analogs

...now the difficulty with the actual AI in latter races is a different story...I've yet to finish the fucking game cause it gets so damn impossible =(

...maybe I'm just weaksauce and still adore the game though! :D

camineet

Banned
Sega Rally Championship
Arcade: 60fps - home console: 30fps

Sega Rally 2
Arcade: 60fps - home console: sometimes 60fps but often down to 30fps

Sega Rally Revo / Sega Rally 3
home console: 30fps - PC: 60fps - Arcade: 60fps

console Sega Rally just can't win :(

camineet said:
Sega Rally Championship
Arcade: 60fps - home console: 30fps

Sega Rally 2

Sega Rally Revo / Sega Rally 3
home console: 30fps - PC: 60fps - Arcade: 60fps

console Sega Rally just can't win :(

to be honest it never bothered me

M3d10n

That's one beefy PC arcade board they got there. It'll be interesting to see what kind of visuals they'll be able to push with a 8800 and 4GBs or RAM as standard.

Kuran

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Heh, that's so true. I was really looking forward or the game, then I played the demo...

Horrible, insanly bad controls. I never say this, as I always think it's overacting, but in this case it really is unplayable with a pad.

Shame, the gfx are nice.

Mr. President, I have to interrupt.
This post is a lie. And you probably only played it for 2 minutes before making your decision.

proposition said:
Could it even come to home consoles without severe downgrades? The spec of the machine is way beyond 360 and PS3.

The specs are way beyond, but with some sacrifices I am sure that it could be a comparable home conversion. Probably 30fps, but it should look decent I would assume.

camineet

Banned
M3d10n said:
That's one beefy PC arcade board they got there. It'll be interesting to see what kind of visuals they'll be able to push with a 8800 and 4GBs or RAM as standard.

That arcade board with GF 8800 is like half way between current-gen HD consoles and what I'd expect from next-gen XB3, PS4 consoles.

gkryhewy

All of you "unplayable with a pad" folks are out of your minds (or you just suck :lol ).

Game feels just like SR2 on Dreamcast (aka, just fine, thanks).

FightyF

Banned
ram said:

Although I love it with a wheel (one of the most exhilerating racers out there with a wheel), I can do even better with a gamepad!

I went through most of Revo on the PS3 with the wheel. Then the save got corrupted, and I had to go through it again, and I was too lazy to hook up the wheel...I played through it with the pad and it worked just fine for me.

GrayFoxPL said:

Shame, the gfx are nice.

Maybe you just have to learn how SEGA Rally operates in terms of it's physics. It's a very different style of racing from most racers, as you're on a very slick surface at all times.

AND AS CJELLY SAYS...PLAY IT WITH THE BUMPER CAM!

I think the 3rd person cams are very bad. It should have offered one that was aligned with the car and not the direction you are going.

I love Revo, but I do have some beefs with the game and I think the game could have turned out a bit better if they implement some of my ideas. I think I'll post it in the SR:Revo official thread later on at some point...

Shinobi

Sega Rally 2

Should've bought the PC version...60fps at all times. Improved the game playing experience tenfold, though it still wasn't as good as the delicious arcade version (still my favourite game ever).

I'm excited about this...hopefully a couple of spots pick this puppy up in a few months. Sega Rally has always belonged in the arcade, particularly after the awesomeness that was SR2 with the bitchin' cabinet and handbrake.

It's pretty neat that SR3 is WRC-branded as well...just adds a bit of extra sheen to this game.

I'm gonna put a bit of time into Sega Rally Revo next week. I played it initially months ago and it just didn't stir me (mainly due to the course design, the ones I raced on in Revo didn't touch the stuff in SR1 and 2), but I'll take a few more cracks at it and see how it goes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FightyF said:
Although I love it with a wheel (one of the most exhilerating racers out there with a wheel), I can do even better with a gamepad!

I went through most of Revo on the PS3 with the wheel. Then the save got corrupted, and I had to go through it again, and I was too lazy to hook up the wheel...I played through it with the pad and it worked just fine for me.

You lose most of the benefits their real-time terrain deformation engine brought along: one thing is seeing the bumps and another thing is feeling them too!

I justed picked up Sega Rally Revo on the 360 for 17 bucks.

It was well worth it. It is a very pretty and fun arcade rally racer. It's too bad SRS will not have an opportunity to give other Sega racing franchises the same treatment. Because they did a great job.

I think one of Revo's biggest problems when it first released has nothing to do with the game itself. Sege should have released it $40, instead of $60. I'm sure it would have sold much better -- and likely garnered better reviews due to the fact it's arcade structure (as in, it's not quite as deep as a game like DiRT) wouldn't of irritated folks quite as much.

Top Bottom