• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Mob and Lupin are pretty much guaranteed.

MHA's pretty likely, though to be honest, I'm not super excited about it. I love the manga, and I'm really not into how they're adapting it.

cntr

Banned
also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo
Not to mention it's easier/quicker to just type "my" instead of "boku no".

I get wanting to use the Japanese name for Japanese shows, but come on, in this case, you're literally swapping out the japanese word for "my" & that's it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, this does bring up an interesting question.

How do you decide to refer to a series by its Japanese or English name? Like, for some reason, I stick with "Shokugeki no Soma" instead of "Food Wars", which is honestly much easier & quicker to type, but I don't use it for some reason. Maybe because it took so long for it to be localized & by now, that's the name I'm used to & Food Wars makes it sound like a Food Network series.

cntr

Banned
in general there's a tendency with anime fans not to use the official English names even when they're equivalent or more memorable

like e.g., people constantly use "Kekkai Sensen", which doesn't really mean anything to me and are just two Japanese words, but if you use the official English name instead, Blood Blockade Battlefront, that's memorable, cool, and actually interesting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
B3 sounds better in my opinion. "Kekkai Sensen" sounds rather generic where as Blood Blockade Battlefront makes me want to know what it is & has a cool tone to it.

Meanwhile, I'll just say "Shimoneta" instead of its super long title of "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist" or whatever the full Japanese name is because daaamn I don't want to type/ that every single time I'm talking about it.

I guess I just go by "what did I hear/see first" &/or "what's the better sounding/more memorable title."

Moaradin

I always say Kekkai Sensen because it's easier to say and remember. Blood Blockade Battlefront is too much of a mouthful.

cntr

Banned
It's mostly habit, but it depends on how the English name sounds. Names like My Hero Academia are literal equivalents to the Japanese name, so that choice should be obvious. Kekkai Sensen and Blood Blockade Battlefront also roughly mean the same thing, but one's a lot more meaningful in English.

Names like Food Wars are fine, but it reminds me Fighting Foodons or yeah, a Food Network series. Not a bad thing, but not really what the series is about.

Series like Shimoneta where the English name is ridiculously long and hard to abbreviate, yeah, definitely weeb. Similar logic for series like Dungeon Meshi, where the official title is the Engrish-y "Delicious in Dungeon", (And they totally missed the chance to call it Dungeon and Diners!). Attack on Titan is an exception, probably because it sounds cooler.

Fake edit: It's totally worth typing out Blood Blockade Battlefront because yo what a cool cheesy name. (...or call it B3, and you can call the next season B4.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bloodline Battlefront is actually a decent name in itself, I wonder why Funimation altered it slightly.

That name sounds like a really difficult level in an action game.
It's the final level of a Ninja Gaiden or Platinum game.

caliph95

7d55dd003cc3e8217147e8dc811ad084.gif

cntr

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront is kind of a dumb name.
That's why it's great.

Bloodline Battlefront is actually a decent name in itself, I wonder why Funimation altered it slightly.
I think it was the English title from the very beginning, since the Trigun guy made it and he's an English-speaking westaboo. Also alliteration.

Even the manga thread doesn't or i never noticed
The manga thread used to use it (and was even titled "Boku no Hero Academia |OT|" for a while), but we talked about it and decided to use the English name pretty early on.

Moaradin

I mostly always say the English names, since they are usually just straight translations and I never got the point of saying the Japanese names in those situations.

The main exception is "Shokugeki no Soma" over "Food Wars" since that's a dumb name.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, Shingeki no Kyojin is one of those "bah, that's a mess to type out, I'd rather just say the name more people are familiar with"

.....actually, I guess that's another factor, what's the name more people are familiar with.

Moaradin

I will never understand why we never got Kekkai Sensen on Toonami tbh. It's the perfect type of show for the block. Super stylish with fun characters and amazing music.

cntr

Banned
I could still see them getting B3 when they have some breathing room for new shows. The second season's coming up soon, no?

caliph95

I will never understand why we never got Kekkai Sensen on Toonami tbh. It's the perfect type of show for the block. Super stylish with fun characters and amazing music.

Wait it wasn't i assumed it was because it's the perfect toonami show and was made for western audience like space dandy

cntr

Banned
Attack on Titan is stupid but it's more memorable and easier to type than Shingeki no Kyojin. And Advancing Titan would've just been boring.

...I wonder what they could've called it that's memorable but not stupid?

Same reason people continue to say Shokugeki no Souma instead of Food Wars. :p
That's sort of understandable because Food Wars sounds dumb.

But "Boku no" literally just means "My", and it's not that tonally different from the actual name that it's worth using.

B3's as an adaption is a clusterfuck.
"Kekkai Sensen adapts a select 12 chapters from the first 6 volumes of the manga it is based on while adding a new plotline and characters, culminating in an anime-exclusive ending. Aside from the first episode which adapts the three-chapter pilot, each episode adapts one chapter. "

All I can ask is why would you jump around the source material like a crazy person and try to make it anime exclusive story. You can do one or the other, but combining them makes no damn sense. If nothing else it should interesting to see how the hell they try to pull it together for the 2nd season this Fall.

Ray Down

Banned
"Kekkai Sensen adapts a select 12 chapters from the first 6 volumes of the manga it is based on while adding a new plotline and characters, culminating in an anime-exclusive ending. Aside from the first episode which adapts the three-chapter pilot, each episode adapts one chapter. "

All I can ask is why would you jump around the source material like a crazy person and try to make it anime exclusive story. You can do one or the other, but combining them makes no damn sense. If nothing else it should interesting to see how the hell they try to pull it together for the 2nd season this Fall.

Sounds like Bones being Bones.

Moaradin

Not sure why that makes it a clusterfuck. It's an adaption. It isn't trying to slavishly stick to the manga material, especially since the manga is extremely episodic to begin with.

The anime does a really good job integrating the anime original story and characters, and giving it an actual narrative throughline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom