• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleBee

A bit off-topic, but I wonder what else Nintendo and MS might collaborate on. MS made games for the GBA before after they bought Rare, wonder if we will see stuff like that since they seem to be best friends right now lol
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64 classic.

mas8705

*Hears argument of how "We should think of the children!*
*Actually hears Children when playing Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto Online*

Yeah... That argument is a pretty piss poor one if you have kids playing those games to begin with... More specifically, I still chuckle a bit when you have people actually defending Sony on this saying, "Well... Microsoft didn't allow Cross-Platform gaming first!" Well, that's a bit of a "that was then, this is now," isn't it? Not saying that two wrongs make a right, but it is clear that in this time of gaming there is a higher demand than there was back in the day.

Who knows if Sony will play ball or not, but it will continue to reflect on them if the ball is basically in their court and they are still going, "No." Not to mention that if Nintendo can apparently play nice with Microsoft...

katsais

Haha...God, every time I hear an Xbox executive talk in an article or in person...it just turns me off from Xbox entirely. If at least they were charismatic . They should be more low key like Nintendo or Sony.

Anyway, xplay benefits MS and Nintendo quite a bit, since they trail in sales compared to Sony. Sony doesn’t really have a need to endorse xplay, unless they want to up their marketing advantage.

I dont see the negative in Sony opening up. But if they dont want to, then they dont want to. They're not going to charge their minds. Their loss......which I'm sure many here will disagree.

Good effort Spencer, but I say move on and let them be in their corner.

Here we go again, smh. Phil should really focus on the upcoming Xbox hardware launch. Its the winner of the war that dictates the policies so this type of pressure isn't going to work.

sangreal

I dont see the negative in Sony opening up. But if they dont want to, then they dont want to. They're not going to charge their minds. Their loss......which I'm sure many here will disagree.

What's he supposed to do when the press keeps asking him? This is literally him punting the question and saying ask Sony why they don't want it and he still gets flack

Wamb0wneD

Oh god not this again...Phil we get it, you're pro consumer and Sony isn't. Their online player base is large enough, Nintendo in particular only benefits from crossplay. Sony wouldn't gain anything besides positive publicity. And even that is questionable because most people just would go "finally, took you long enough."

What is this opposite time line?

The timeline where PS4 is the market leader.

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

LOL- poor Sony. Why won't MS just leave them alone???

This is getting a bit pathetic. No they don't want it Phil.

How dare he answer questions!

Sjefen

Phil laying on the pressure, but Sony dont care about crossplay. Just like MS didnt care back in the 360 days.

amdb00mer

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

How about you do some research pal. Rocket League does not require a PS owner to have a live account. Fortnite does not require a PS owner to have a live account. Minecraft is an MS owned property and having an MS account keeps your progress across all systems, that's why you sign in with a Microsoft account for it ONLY.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Nintendo seems to be okay with it, plus that doesn't really explain why Rocket League Football isn't cross play, along with other games.

Simply put Sony doesn't want to play game and gave some nonsense excuse to why.

RoyalFool

Banned
So what about when Epic turned on crossplay for Fortnite?

My answer was specifically to Minecraft; it requires an xbox live login even on other platforms which is the primary reason why Sony won't allow it (folks from Sony even tweeted as much). It's annoying this guy acts like 'I don't know what their problem is!' when it's been stated dozens of times, just so he can score some PR points.

As for the more general 'well how come they allow it with PC but not Xbox?' on other games.

Because it's the smart fucking thing to do when you have sold the most hardware, statistically speaking your friends are likely to be playing that big online game that has just come out on PS4, so if they don't allow crossplay you also need to buy the PS4 version to play with them, It's common business sense to take advantage of your own success, and Microsoft would do the exact same fucking thing in an instant if they had more hardware sold than Sony, don't let his battle-toads t-shirts convince you otherwise.

So the second answer is, if Microsoft really want cross-play they need to pull their finger out and sell some hardware.

So do you instead suggest that Phil Spencer dodges this question that was asked to him?

Again with this bullshit?

I kind of agree. It’s obvious they don’t want to. Move on.

jayu26

he clearly doesn't understand how business works

He understands perfectly well. He is trying to get populous to make noise and force Sony to allow Cross Play with Xbox. Of course Sony understand business perfectly too. Until they feel any pressure to their bottom line they are going to keep quite on this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Keep twisting that knife!

Hopefully after enough rotations it will possibly lead to something.

What's he supposed to do when the press keeps asking him? This is literally him punting the question and saying ask Sony why they don't want it and he still gets flack

Spencer gets flack no matter what he does concerning whatever project/subjection he gets asked about.

He can bend over to tie his shoe and accidentally let out a fart...and somehow someone turns it into a story and then readers will twist that into something negative.

So yeah, you're right, there's not much he can do when he's asked.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You got a link where they said that?

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

joanot

Phil laying on the pressure, but Sony dont care about crossplay. Just like MS didnt care back in the 360 days.

Yep. He should be more concerned about the almost non existent Xbox exclusives & the lack of 3rd party support from japan & the indie scene.

As I'm moving away from ps4 pro to Xbox one X I'm actually fine with cross play between Xbox, PC and Nintendo. It's gonna be great and really looking forward to this.
I'm still keeping my ps4 pro for the exclusives of course but multiplayer, Ms own games and 3rd parts will be played on Xbox. The user base with these three platforms all combined will be huge and much bigger than on Playstation as well so it's a no brainer.

They've asked Sony and Sony has responded. Their reasoning is shit, but they have responded.

I don't know why Phil continues to answer. Just move on. Because clearly this isn't a topic that's gaining a lot of traction or most gamers really care about.

That's bullshit bro. Just moving on is giving Sony a slide on their dumb bad for consumers practices. This shit should be talked about more and LOUDER. I have no sides on the console battle, except the overall consumer.

oRuin

I sense a little desperation. This is not a good look. Sony have said no, and he should respect that. Might not be in the gamers best interest, but that's that.

Yep. He should be more concerned about the almost non existent Xbox exclusives & the lack of 3rd party support from japan & the indie scene.

Who said he's not?

When he's asked a question about crossplay, is he supposed to ignore the question and go on about lack of 3rd party support from indies/japan and Xbox exclusives?

That makes no sense.

They've asked Sony and Sony has responded. Their reasoning is shit, but they have responded.

I don't know why Phil continues to answer. Just move on. Because clearly this isn't a topic that's gaining a lot of traction or most gamers really care about.
Sony responded and their response was obviously bullshit and it'd be nice if the press did their job and called them on it/kept asking.

And Phil continues to answer because he continues getting asked about it.

I kind of agree. It's obvious they don't want to. Move on.

This is getting a bit pathetic. No they don't want it Phil.

I sense a little desperation. This is not a good look. Sony have said no, and he should respect that. Might not be in the gamers best interest, but that's that.

Executive of console manufacturer fights for consumer rights to make all games better for consumers and developers... consumers tell him to give up. Way to go guys.

sangreal

it's desperate to answer a question?

His answer was:
1) They probably don't want to do it because playing with friends sells consoles
2) You should really ask Sony

How is this at all controversial?

I know interviewers keep asking him (and will continue to keep asking him) the same question, but at some point he needs to focus on his own business.

The press can badger Sony for a statement if they must, but it's really got nothing to do with Phil at this point if Microsoft's stance hasn't changed.

Fox Mulder

That's bullshit bro. Just moving on is giving Sony a slide on their dumb bad for consumers practices. This shit should be talked about more and LOUDER. I have no sides on the console battle, except the overall consumer.

Then ps4 owners should be crying for it on their side then. Media should be asking Sony instead of MS.

MS said they were open and that should be it. I don't really give a shit as a Xbox owner, and Spencer repeatedly talking about it looks desperate.

Septic360

Banned

Desperation in what? Answering a question he's asked about in an interview?

Maybe he should just give bullshit answers like Jim Ryan

Executive of console manufacturer fights for consumer rights to make all games better for consumers and developers... consumers tell him to give up. Way to go guys.

Lol I know right?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony’s policy for most games is BS but I at least can see where they’re coming from on Minecraft with the XBL login required to use it. Even if other games on PS4 eventually allow it (which I hope they do sooner than later) think that Minecraft will still be an issue.

RoyalFool

Banned

What no? This isn't Phil being 'for the gamers' - this is about one business trying to shame another business into making a bad move.

There are 60 million playstation 4 systems out there for you to play with/again online. Sony don't need to do shit. Let's not forget this is also the guy who said he was against console exclusive content when Sony got dibs on all the Destiny goodies, then signed up a shit ton of their own console exclusives a few months later.

sangreal

Then ps4 owners should be crying for it on their side then. MS said they were open and that should be it. I don't really give a shit as a Xbox owner, and Spencer repeatedly bringing it up looks desperate.

....he didn't bring it up.

Asked if cross-play between Xbox One and PS4 is a lost cause, Spencer said he doesn't want to speak for Sony.

ViciousDS

Banned

Yes, rocket league requires....shit nvm

that's right thats an excuse people made up

CookTrain

I am very curious about what future collaborations between Nintendo and Microsoft might look like.

At the very least, a lot of people are hoping for the Goldeneye situation to get resolved somehow. An exchange of N64 Mini for Goldeneye HD would probably be just the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom