• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: portable Borderlands game announced for iPhone & iPad

Naturally for ios.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/22/borderlands-legends-headed-to-iphone-and-ipad

blegends-610x457.jpg

Anyone mention Borderlands Legends in this topic yet?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/22/borderlands-legends-headed-to-iphone-and-ipad

The news breaking tonight is a leak. Look for a good bit of coverage (including footage) later this week on IGN (and presumably other sites).

News and screenies from your gaming sites later this week.

If its coming out in October there's not really much time left for them to legit announce it anyway.

well ign's Justin mentioned there will be news out this week. I assume it will be out next week or maybe this week.

ios games tend to come out pretty quickly after announced.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't heard about the possibility of BL2 on Vita. That'd be so awesome.

iOS is less exciting, but also cool.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd like to know how it will play. If it plays well, I could buy it.

Goon Boon

Banned
You're implying it would happen without Sony paying for it in one way or another?

Im implying that he probably has no idea whats going on.

It may or may not still happen is still entirely speculative.

GAF just often loves to fantasize about how video game business goes down some like some drug cartel mafia trades/meetings some times.

GavinGT

Banned

It may or may not still is still entirely speculative.

GAF just often loves to fantasize about how video game business goes down some like some drug cartel mafia trades/meetings.

Pitchford said it would require outside investment, and who other than Sony would pay for that? He obviously doesn't have faith in a Vita port recouping its losses, or else he would invest his company's money in it.

Hmm Judging by the somewhat blurry screenshot and description, it sounds like the game will be an on rail FPS like Rage iOS. Either that or it could end up being a twin stick shooter.

That title's just a touch misleading. I initially thought it was the Borderlands Vita that Gearbox had been talking about for some time.

slowclap.gif

Wunder

Wow... Not sure where they are going with this, but I can't really see an iOS Borderlands that is remotely like the actual game, it would be nice if they went a separate direction with it but kept it in the same universe but it doesn't seem like they are.

sajj316

Wow... Not sure where they are going with this, but I can't really see an iOS Borderlands that is remotely like the actual game, it would be nice if they went a separate direction with it but kept it in the same universe but it doesn't seem like they are.

It's not

numble

Hmm Judging by the somewhat blurry screenshot and description, it sounds like the game will be an on rail FPS like Rage iOS. Either that or it could end up being a twin stick shooter.

Can't be completely on-rails if its boasting a "strategic cover system," right?

Pitchford said it would require outside investment, and who other than Sony would pay for that?

I think youre missing the point.

The original poster kinda displayed like he knew some "insider knowledge" about how this thing went down. In an extremely simplified version.

If anything I'd imagine that Sony is probably closely watching how the Borderlands brand is performing. Its not too late for an investment. It may still happen; seen entirely from a business angle. Things like these demand evaluation. Its still not too late for it to happen. And if it happens it will most likely be a port - going by Sony's trend of porting games over to Vita, it wouldnt be surprising ...-.

Besides Sony seems to be on good terms with 2K/Rockstar.

Again, as said, exchanging money for a Vita version of Borderlands 1/2/original isnt like a mafia showdown; one party checks out the goods and the other forks it over in a matter of minutes. Im just saying it aint that simple. Some of you do however.

It may or may not still happen is still entirely speculative.

GAF just often loves to fantasize about how video game business goes down some like some drug cartel mafia trades/meetings some times.
Randy Pitchford, the head honcho of the studio, has been very open about approaching Sony with the idea. How formal the exchange was, who knows. Will it happen in the future, who knows. But clearly, Sony didn't move on the idea if Pitchford is still talking about it.

I don't see how that is impossible to infer from what we know. Cool your jets.

Randy Pitchford, the head honcho of the studio, has been very open about approaching Sony with the idea. How formal the exchange was, who knows. Will it happen in the future, who knows. But clearly, Sony didn't move on the idea if Pitchford is still talking about it.

I don't see how that is impossible to infer from what we know. Cool your jets.

Been coolin' my jets for some time. Youre wording made me raise an eyebrow though.

Good you clarified that though.

GavinGT

Banned
If anything I'd imagine that Sony is probably closely watching how the Borderlands brand is performing. Its not too late for an investment. It may still happen; seen entirely from a business angle. Things like these demand evaluation. Its still not too late for it to happen. And if it happens it will most likely be a port - going by Sony's trend of porting games over to Vita, it wouldnt be surprising ...-.

I would think the ridiculous number of pre-orders would've told them all they needed to know.

Besides Sony seems to be on good terms with 2K/Rockstar.

Maybe five years ago you could have argued this. But regardless of their terms, 2K isn't going to throw money at a losing venture when the company is already losing money every year. Nor would they dilute their brand by making the game cheaply enough to assuredly recoup the investment.

Again, as said, exchanging money for a Vita version of Borderlands 1/2/original isnt like a mafia showdown; one party checks out the goods and the other forks it over in a matter of minutes. Im just saying it aint that simple. Some of you do however.

Sure. In this case, it would be more like Sony goes out and hires a studio to do the work, with Gearbox having some sort of signoff rights on the work they're doing. Gearbox would then get either a lump payment or a percentage of every unit sold.

I would think the ridiculous number of pre-orders would've told them all they needed to know.

That may be... I dont have any idea whether Sony has been observing/following the total pre-orders for both the 360 and PS3, or just in general for the PS3. I dont know if the pre-orders are even relevant to them at all.

Maybe five years ago you could have argued this. But regardless of their terms, 2K isn't going to throw money at a losing venture when the company is already losing money every year. Nor would they dilute their brand by making the game cheaply enough to assuredly recoup the investment.

Thats not what Im saying.

Sure. In this case, it would be more like Sony goes out and hires a studio to do the work, with Gearbox having some sort of signoff rights on the work they're doing. Gearbox would then get either a lump payment or a percentage of every unit sold.

Its not that simple.

But look, its fine if this what you want to believe. So I'll leave you with that mentality.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But regardless of their terms, 2K isn't going to throw money at a losing venture when the company is already losing money every year. Nor would they dilute their brand by making the game cheaply enough to assuredly recoup the investment.

Just FYI: Gearbox, not 2K, owns the Borderlands IP:

Goffee

Banned
Where did you hear that? It was 2.2 million as of July 30, and Vita is not selling 300,000 units a month WW. Half that, maybe.

As much as I hate myself for quoting them, ********... the Japan figure is accurate (actually over a million now) but who knows about EU and US?

PlayStation Vita (PSV)
America 0.88
Europe 0.96
Japan 0.99
RoW 0.21
Total 3.04

GavinGT

Banned
That may be... I dont have any idea whether Sony has been observing/following the total pre-orders for both the 360 and PS3, or just in general for the PS3. I dont know if the pre-orders are even relevant to them at all.

The game is already out and has already sold a shitload on both platforms. My point is that Sony doesn't need to wait and see how Borderlands 2 is performing. They knew months ago it was already a sales success just by looking at the preorder numbers.

Its not that simple.

But look, its fine if this what you want to believe. So I'll leave you with that mentality.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this argument. Apparently you're a big-time businessman and you're offended when someone boils a process down to "money exchanges hands, game is made". Of course that doesn't describe the process entirely.

Just FYI: Gearbox, not 2K, owns the Borderlands IP:

Thanks for pointing that out. What I said would still apply to Gearbox, though (aside from the losing money every year part).

As much as I hate myself for quoting them, ********... the Japan figure is accurate (actually over a million now) but who knows about EU and US?

PlayStation Vita (PSV)
America 0.88
Europe 0.96
Japan 0.99
RoW 0.21
Total 3.04

In Japan, Vita has been selling about 60,000/month. In the U.S., between 40-60,000/month. The Europe numbers probably aren't too far off from the U.S. ones. So I think a reasonable guess is it's been selling 160,000/month WW since July 30. That would put the total number sold at about 2,650,000.

EVOL 100%

PlayStation Vita (PSV)
America 0.88
Europe 0.96
Japan 0.99
RoW 0.21
Total 3.04

That place is never accurate. It's banned on any reasonable video game forum with standards for a reason.

In Japan, Vita has been selling about 60,000/month.

Uh, it's been hovering around the 10k mark for ages, with very occasional spikes to ~20k, and is frequently under 10k (around 6k last week), so 60k a month is a touch optimistic. In September it did 14k/9k/9k/14k for a total of ~46k, and in October it's done 8k/6k so far, so it looks likely it's going to be closer to 35-40k for the month.

I think the US figures are accurate, but I'm not sure about the European ones. I think 150k per month at best is probably the upper limit, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a good bit lower.

GavinGT

Banned
Uh, it's been hovering around the 10k mark for ages, with very occasional spikes to ~20k, and is frequently under 10k (around 6k last week), so 60k a month is a touch optimistic. In September it did 14k/9k/9k/14k for a total of ~46k, and in October it's done 8k/6k so far, so it looks likely it's going to be closer to 35-40k for the month.

Thanks, I should have looked at more weeks. And creamsugar has repeatedly demonstrated his reliability, so I don't think we have to worry about the US numbers at all.

Top Bottom