• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Skeletos311

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/840130115929489408

C6i9q2UU0AAYEQ8.jpg

Beegeous

I was hugely impressed that the preload for Global Testfire only took about 5 mins given that downloading software on XBL takes about a decade.

D.Lo

It's just an insane level of commitment to the joke that the artwork of characters for Splatoon 1/2 is done as ink-block printing.

h0mebas3

I can't wait for the test fire in the coming days, but I've never played Splatoon before. Coming from an FGC background, are there any good online tutorials, community sites or well known players/teams I should be watching to learn from? Thanks.

Sendou

I can't wait for the test fire in the coming days, but I've never played Splatoon before. Coming from an FGC background, are there any good online tutorials, community sites or well known players/teams I should be watching to learn from? Thanks.

Testfire is going to be Turf War which is the more casual mode in Splatoon. So in that sense I wouldn't worry too much about knowing anything beforehand. At the moment there isn't too many good up to date tutorials (something the community is trying to fix) but you could always check https://www.twitch.tv/communities/CompetitiveSplatoon. Several good and active players you can watch. For example pkfuzzy, thatsrb2dude, sorinmh, kivicious, nikkeyy and Its_Power on Twitch are all good to watch if you want to see how competitive players play.

If you have something specific to ask I think this Discord: https://discord.gg/9YYw842 is a good place to ask.

ngower

Are they limiting the Testfire to certain times like the original one, or is it just a sort of free weekend?

My internet is horse shit at my current apartment so I probably will be booted for poor connections, but so eager to get my hands on this.

Ocho

Are they limiting the Testfire to certain times like the original one, or is it just a sort of free weekend?

My internet is horse shit at my current apartment so I probably will be booted for poor connections, but so eager to get my hands on this.

Certain 1 hour blocks.

Finn

Testfire is going to be Turf War which is the more casual mode in Splatoon. So in that sense I wouldn't worry too much about knowing anything beforehand. At the moment there isn't too many good up to date tutorials (something the community is trying to fix) but you could always check https://www.twitch.tv/communities/CompetitiveSplatoon. Several good and active players you can watch. For example pkfuzzy, thatsrb2dude, sorinmh, kivicious, nikkeyy and Its_Power on Twitch are all good to watch if you want to see how competitive players play.

If you have something specific to ask I think this Discord: https://discord.gg/9YYw842 is a good place to ask.

As someone already answered, it's limited to three 1-hour blocks and at the oddest times. I believe one day is 3pm - 4pm and then another is 4am - 5am, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not ideal.

I still feel bad about missing the first game, but I only have a Switch.

The art style and character design seems so interesting to me. I wish there's a proper story mode.

D.Lo

As someone already answered, it's limited to three 1-hour blocks and at the oddest times. I believe one day is 3pm - 4pm and then another is 4am - 5am, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not ideal.
GLOBAL testfire. Not 'America' testfire.

Geg

Splattershot has always been 3 shots to kill, it's part of why the Tentatek is still such a widely-used weapon

Geg

Never played. Is the game friendly to newbies? Good matchmaking?

The first game had skill-based matchmaking for turf war but you would still occasionally get newcomers matched with high-ranked players if the game thought they were doing really well in the newbie rooms.

I doubt there's going to be any kind of matchmaking for the testfires though. I expect a lot of instances of people trying out the game for the first time in the same rooms as people who played the original since day one.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Willing to put together the OT for this if no one else has already taken dibs on the role (or if we still need it), but I realise that I am not able to since I am (still) a Junior Member. Any way I could get this rectified? :eek:

Willing to put together the OT for this if no one else has already taken dibs on the role (or if we still need it), but I realise that I am not able to since I am (still) a Junior Member. Any way I could get this rectified? :eek:

Depends. Have you subscribed to GAF Gold?

aBarreras

you need to have posted 300 times and have 3 months on gaf

13ruce

Banned

300 posts and 3 months on gaf needed.
Game launches around summer so that should easily be possible to have by then.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
lol No Way am I ever going to get to 300 posts that quickly; been a member for nearly 2 years and simply stick to SplatGAF. :p

EDIT: Last check, I have 93 total posts, including this one. Nope. Not happening.

Thought I would at least contribute but... :S

Moondrop

Banned
No analysis? I know a lot of information has already trickled out. My reactions:

- Did we know splattershot came with burst bombs? Amusing to watch tentatek players adjust. Unclear how good that missile launcher special will be.
- For the charger, splat bomb and laser special sounds like a solid combo.
- Dashing with dualies doesn't seem to cost much ink.
- The roller acceleration change now looks like more of a nerf than a buff. The top end speed may be higher than before, but the initial speed looks lower. That may help inking, but for combat you want to be able to quickly roll over your foe if you miss your flick. If this extends to the inkbrush as well, it will be a major survivability nerf.

hao chi

The first game had skill-based matchmaking for turf war but you would still occasionally get newcomers matched with high-ranked players if the game thought they were doing really well in the newbie rooms.

I'll take that as a complement from the game since I've been facing a lot of higher ranks recently even though I'm only level 15 or 16 lol.

No analysis? I know a lot of information has already trickled out. My reactions:

- Did we know splattershot came with burst bombs? Amusing to watch tentatek players adjust. Unclear how good that missile launcher special will be.
- For the charger, splat bomb and laser special sounds like a solid combo.
- Dashing with dualies doesn't seem to cost much ink.
- The roller acceleration change now looks like more of a nerf than a buff. The top end speed may be higher than before, but the initial speed looks lower. That may help inking, but for combat you want to be able to quickly roll over your foe if you miss your flick. If this extends to the inkbrush as well, it will be a major survivability nerf.
Splattershot came with burst bombs in the original too. Same with splat charger and splat bombs; only their specials are different. Though this special is kind of disgusting for the splat charger since it gives you a nice tool to help out in charger duels.

As for the roller acceleration change... The base speed is either the same or slightly higher. I have close to 1.5 million points of ink turfed between the entire splat roller family so I'm pretty confident in stating this.

I'm sorry if this is mentioned somewhere and I missed it. Have they announced local multiplayer/turf wars or confirmed that there won't be? What options have they announced?

2-Player Online?

4 players local, offline?

4 players / 2 Switch consoles?

Top Bottom