• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Registry Leak] Games Excluded From Valve's Family Share Plan

Grief.exe

Some notable exceptions are Assassin's Creed series (outside of III), Dark Souls, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
Some of these may be oversight while the service gets cleaned up.

Complete list of excluded games: http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&keyname=261

i6AQUpO6fIQ6d.png
i42if4EmBaZdk.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
19:30 Nirolak oh
19:30 Nirolak this might just be the uh
19:30 Nirolak key thing?
19:31 stump it is
19:31 Nirolak not sure if Max Payne 3 uses that though
19:31 stump rockstar social club
19:31 stump so yes
19:31 stump ac3 = uplay
19:31 Nirolak ah
19:31 stump ssfivae = gfwl
19:31 stump dead rising 2 = gfwl
19:31 stump gtaiv = gfwl
19:31 stump la noire = r* social club
19:31 stump fc3 = uplay
19:31 Nirolak CSGO is kind of funny
19:31 Nirolak lol
19:31 stump cs:go = f2p, right?
19:31 Nirolak nope
19:31 stump defiance = mmo
19:31 stump bulletstorm = gfwl
19:32 stump batman = gfwl

So CS:Go is the only anomaly of the bunch--this appears to just be a list of games that use 3rd party DRM and thus technically could not be shared.

epmode

The only surprising game there is CS:GO.

Maybe this will convince publishers like Ubisoft to remove additional levels of bullshit DRM for their Steam release. Haha, who am I kidding.

Grief.exe

So CS:Go is the only anomaly of the bunch--this appears to just be a list of games that use 3rd party DRM and thus technically could not be shared.

That is the truly interesting, besides some of the omissions like Blacklist.

Otherwise, confirmed GFWL, Social Club, and Uplay deny sharing.

Maybe once they kill GFWL, some of these wont even be an issue.

Maybe this is the reason Batman:AA/AC have been waiting to release.

yami4ct

The only surprising game there is CS:GO.

Maybe this will convince publishers like Ubisoft to remove additional levels of bullshit DRM for their Steam release. Haha, who am I kidding.

Why would this incentivize removal? I'd say the incentive is the opposite, to add it if it's not already there. No matter how beneficial it might end up being, I suspect many publishers to balk at the idea of internet friends being able to freely share games.

Grief.exe

Ok, someone clarify me this. What if i share a VAC enabled game and the guy uses cheats.
Who VAC gets banned?

From the Sharing FAQ

WILL I BE PUNISHED FOR ANY CHEATING OR FRAUD CONDUCTED BY OTHER USERS WHILE PLAYING MY GAMES?

Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked if your library is used by borrowers to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure.

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

epmode

Why would this incentivize removal? I'd say the incentive is the opposite, to add it if it's not already there. No matter how beneficial it might end up being, I suspect many publishers to balk at the idea of internet friends being able to freely share games.

Eh. Steam's family sharing plan is a lot more restricted than something like the easily abused game sharing policy v1 on PS3 and I can easily see it bringing in additional revenue.

Anyway, publishers have been surprisingly open to consumer-friendly stuff like Cross Play so I figure the same thing could happen here.

Syril

Wait, so you authorize computers and not users? Does that mean that anyone can sign into their account and play your games from an authorized computer? That doesn't sound right.

epmode

Wait, so you authorize computers and not users? Does that mean that anyone can sign into their account and play your games from an authorized computer? That doesn't sound right.

Only one computer can use the shared library at a time. It's a great feature but it's nothing earth-shattering.

Ugh, the problems I've been having with Rockstar's "social club" DRM. (I've had to re-download Max Payne 3 twice, which is kind of time consuming.) I bet it's the main reason why their games are off family sharing.

Syril

Only one computer can use the shared library at a time. It's a great feature but it's nothing earth-shattering.

That's not what I was thinking about. I was wondering if you authorize your friend's computer for example, will only your friend be able to use your library or can anyone sign in on that computer and use it? It just sounds a little worrying if they're reserving the right to punish you for something that another person does with your game.

-MD-

This would be terrible for the game, as if there aren't already enough cheaters :/

It was awful when TF2 went F2P lol. People are still pretty bad in general but it's nothing like those first few painful months of being F2P.

I suppose it kept the community afloat though.

epmode

That's not what I was thinking about. I was wondering if you authorize your friend's computer for example, will only your friend be able to use your library or can anyone sign in on that computer and use it? It just sounds a little worrying if they're reserving the right to punish you for something that another person does with your game.

If I remember correctly, Steam's default behavior is to automatically sign in to a single account regardless of the Windows account that's in use. Your friend would have to disable the automatic Steam login to prevent other people on that computer from using your Steam library.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I can see developers tying their Steam games to a second service just to prevent sharing. I hope I'm wrong.
That would be one less value add they can claim. If it affects their bottom line then that won't be a good strategy. Makes me wonder if this is Valve's way of nudging publishers towards dropping their account based DRM.

Maybe this will convince publishers like Ubisoft to remove additional levels of bullshit DRM for their Steam release.

"Thank goodness we implemented that DRM. People could be stealing or games through Steam under this new plan!"

That's probably closer to their reaction.

yami4ct

Doesn't Batman being on the list make the chances of the DRM being stripped much lower Grief?

The DRM isn't stripped yet and the beta is happening soon. If/when that does happen, and if they don't add some other BS on top, the ban will likely be reversed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I was going to mention that this isn't much of a "leak" as the FAQ makes it quite clear that games with third-party DRM cannot be shared:

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?

No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts.

Grief.exe

It's disappointing to see CS:GO since it's basically a Valve game unless they are making it F2P.

It doesn't make any sense though.

Both TF2 and Dota 2 are both available for sharing.
Both games can drop items, same as CS:GO

I really don't see the justification.

Nabs

TF2 and Dota are both free to play. It's really not the same thing. The GO market would go crazy.

Top Bottom