• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread

Ogs

Before anyone starts, no this is not some dig at console games.

Purpose of the thread is to show what PC games can look at at the other end of the scale, at the lowest possible settings the game allows you to select. Some games look like they belong in the PSX era, some look still pretty damned good all things considered.

Rules -

Resolution - 1280x720 (16:9) 1280x800 (16:10) or 1280x1024 (4:3)
Settings - Lowest that the game offers (Not editing CFG files, entering console commands, using external IQ apps etc).
Limits - 2 screenshots per post.
Naming - Include the name of the game.
Compression - Dont compress or use any image host that does.
Stretching - No stretched screenshots please.
Spoilers - Do not post spoilers for recent games (For the games first 6 months after release)

I use FRAPS to take screenshots, however use whatever you want as long as it doesnt compress the images :)

To start then ...

Mass Effect 3

masseffect32012-06-12yveld.jpg

masseffect32012-06-12pieev.jpg

Not a bad idea. Might be helpful for those trying to game on laptops. I think it would be nice to also know how well performance scales with the settings but that's a little trickier.

dose

Wasn't it the Matrix that looked really bad at the lowest setting? Square wheels on the cars etc? Someone still has them lying about surely ;)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I played Diablo 3 on the lowest settings for a few hours when I was away from home, and I definitely remember it looking way worse than the screenshots in here.
You sure those are set to low?

Rapstah

Trackmania 2: Canyon

tm2lowestqk9hr.png

While textures become really muddy on the lowest possible option, the game actually retains a lot of its look very far down in the impressive list of setups on which it will run. I'm running this on an Acer Aspire One with a screen resoltuion of 1366*768, and with these settings it keeps a fairly steady 25-30 FPS, making the game very playable.

(I scaled the picture down to long side 1280 pixels because this resolution isn't any of the aspects you mentioned in the OP.)

Ogs

Resolution rules are just to keep some uniformity in the thread.

Diablo III, have i spoiled something ? Its all pretty early on stuff so i didnt think anything was spoilt but if so do tell me and il remove/replace them.

Also Diablo III settings, this is what i have selected -

http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot0009t7al.jpg

Any settings im missing ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they look ok. More than anything they show that you want AA. First temptation would be to whack up the resolution, texture detail, object detail etc, but you could argue you need to increase the AA first, and then adjust detail

Jaggies: The thread!
Oh god, how I hate jaggies :(

Som really interesting things in this thread. I like the comparison shots with lowest and highest settings in one of the posts.

Resolution rules are just to keep some uniformity in the thread.

Diablo III, have i spoiled something ? Its all pretty early on stuff so i didnt think anything was spoilt but if so do tell me and il remove/replace them.

No I misread your post. I thought the rule said to avoid recently released games period, not just spoiler pics. (since some people can be really picky about what is a spoiler and what is not.)

Ogs

There is only 1 setting i did not change for this, the Image Quality option which i left at Native, because im pretty sure it only changes the rendering resolution while everything 2D is kept native.

iw5sp-2012-06-12-15-390umk.jpg

iw5sp-2012-06-12-15-35bufk.jpg

Ogs

No I misread your post. I thought the rule said to avoid recently released games period, not just spoiler pics. (since some people can be really picky about what is a spoiler and what is not.)

Ah ok, have edited the OP a little bit :)

And holy gawd those HL2 shots ....

stuminus3

Interesting that at first glance the most obvious difference in the more modern games is in image quality (aliasing, filtering etc). I guess that's a by-product of games being ported from the consoles.

Top Bottom