• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you strong enough to stop supporting a company that acts AGAINST customers?

Sponge

Banned
Also, I'm actually doing well on my vow to not by Xbox games anymore. Last one I purchased Marvel vs Capcom 3, and I traded that back as soon as Ulimate was announced.

I think it makes it easier that I bought a PS3 shortly after deciding Xbox just wasn't for me anymore.

haven't bought a game with: scratch code MP or on disc DLC
will never buy a game from origin again

helps that 99% of games who have this are shit anyway.

MNC

The last EA game I bought was Henry Hatsworth. And that was a while ago.
I want to play Mirrors' Edge but I don't want to sign up for Origin, now or ever

jSUa0hnIcTkIG.jpg

It's on Steam, so that's no problem.

Khal_B

Yes, like you OP, Origin has forced my hand and after I play through the extended ending for ME3, I'm uninstalling Origin and never looking back. What a complete and utter failure of a service.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Nope, i keep buying nba 2k games and they couldn't give any fucks about their customers.

Took me a long while to stop buying Madden games and to be honest I think I do still buy madden games. I just don't play em.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Go right ahead, are you saying we shouldn't care about companies which are threatening the fun of our hobby?
I think some folks are balking at at considering "threatening fun" to be "threatening" or considering entertainment companies to be "evil". Hyperbolic statements are going to generate hyperbolic responses and associated scope creep.

Personally, I don't like half of EA's product line because games like Battlefield, Sims, SimCity and the like just don't appeal to me. However, I like the RPGs. If there were more Witchers in the world, I might be willing skip the Dragon Ages and the Mass Effects, but when most of the alternative in the RPG genre are either JRPGs (I'm not in their target market), deliberately obtuse games like Gothic and their child series, or self-aggrandized Jeff Vogel games... EA wins by virtue of showing up to the race.

I am concerned about them "turning off" games, though. Rock Band isn't the only thing they did this with... they turned off EA MMA as well, and it was only 18 months old. I sold if off a few months ago, but I imagine I'd be pretty pissed if I had just bought the game and discovered that I couldn't play the damn thing.

Perkel

Banned
Yep, no new EA games for me. If there is a game that is essential for me like Sim City i buy it used and crack it. Thanks to that i don't need any EA account or Origin

Yes I am. If a company has business practices that truly bug me I don't just talk the talk I walk the walk, regardless of whether or not they have amazing software.

I'm pretty much off Capcom right now, don't plan to get anything from em. Haven't bought any Microsoft related thing in a long time, don't plan to. Those are my 2 right now, nothing else bugs me that much.

jkoch

Meh, I'm a gamer first...consumer advocate distant second. If there's a game I want to play, I'll buy it.

Tex117

Banned
I make a judgment call...If the content on the disk is enough to warrant a day 1 purchase, I buy it.

If it is not, I don't.

That simple.

iNvid02

the only EA games on my radar this year are medal of honor and the annual fifa, which i probably will pass on unless it's the same step up as 11-12 was.

UberTag

I successfully obstained from supporting ActiBlizz for over 6 years without too much trouble. So it can definitely be done.
(I'm caving for Diablo III, though.) :(

Mitsurux

Not hard for me.. but what stinks is when the publisher your ignoring, buys up developers you like.... sucks as you want ot suport the developers even though you do not care for the publisher... catch 22 i guess

fresquito

Yes, of course. There're so many good games out there, that even ignoring those from companies that suck I wouldn't be able to play them all. I won't be missing any game as long as I'm playing something else.

You think that boycotting EA is my religion or something?

I love the Mass Effect series, and it begun as a Microsoft publishing game and ended up with the second and the third game in the hands of EA.

What was I suppose to do? Of course im willing to break my boycott in a tiny gesture by buying it used. Like I said its not like I believe that supporting EA in any single way is the ticket straight to hell.

I didn't say that. I saw you write that you have had a decade long "boycott" of EA and then a sentence later listed 3 games you purchased of EA's. It didn't make sense. It was like reading "I'm boycotting Taco Bell! Hey, let's go to Taco Bell". I don't really care that you are dedicated to it or not, your post just didn't make any sense.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If they show me they don't want my business, why would I support them with it? EA games are pretty easy to ignore.

Good games that I enjoy get my business. Bad games that I don't, wont.

I'm too old to give a shit about fighting the man or any of that shit. I got bills and shit.

OnPoint

Stopped buying Activision games because of how they run series' into the ground, buy up and close developers and milk out DLC.

Really want Tony Hawk HD, but won't be buying it. First game since I stopped buying them that I really wanted (since Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I have never bought an EA game since they shut down Westwood Studios. I have stopped supporting that horrible company for quite a long time.

:)

Yes. Even if you take away used games (and illegitimate ways of obtaining a game) there are still other games and publishers/developers I can stick with. Not to mention the indie scene. And if somehow EVERY conceivable videogame maker on the planet ends up becoming an anti-consumer-douche, there are countless other unnecessary but fun hobbies I can sink my time and money into.

Alebrije

No 360 for me no matters if Microsoft fixed the RROD. How can a company put in the market a shitty hardware and then give as a solution and extended guarantee instead of solving te problem?

I knew online era in videogames will bring also bad things such a DLC and PATCHES , exesive use of them is videogame's today cancer

Angry Fork

I never got a 360 because of RROD and having to pay to play online. If PS3 starts pay to play I'll just stick with singleplayer games and Valve games on PC for multiplayer. In the end it wasn't that bad the only games I wish I hadn't missed are Crackdown, Bayonetta (superior version), and Deadly Premonition which is coming to PS3 soon.

haven't bought an EA game in over ten years. horrible company. i remember when they ignored the dreamcast, buying and killing many studios etc.

and they're pretty easy to ignore because their game output is not that good.

Developers aren't charities, and neither am I. Really, we're enemies - they want all my money, and I want everything they make for free. But, because we each want something from each other, we trade. I'll support a company when they show me a product that I'm interested in for a price I think it's worth. I won't support them when they don't do that.

To most reasonable extents, like I wouldn't support a company even if they delivered a product I want for a price I think is worth it if they financially support the People for the Defense of Punching Kittens Alliance. Cuz then I'm supporting that organization by proxy. Or if I'm on the edge, really bad employee practices might lose me. Like, if I was going to maybe buy L.A. Noire(I wasn't; rented it and it sucked), knowing about the crappy employee practices there might edge me off.

Just took a look through my collection and I only have five games NOT published by EA, Bethesda, Activision and they are all MS games. If I were to boycott the "Evil Empires" I would no longer be a gamer. Truth be told, as sad as it may be, I love EA games.

One other thing, I can understand taking a personal stance but I do believe judging others and tossing out thinly veiled insults towards those who do not share ones views is quite idiotic.

I think EA has been trying to find out where the line is on this, and with the Rock Band iOS thing, they may have found mine. I've never done anything like this before, but I am mulling over making SSX (bought at release) my last EA purchase. Not gonna review their upcoming catalog or anything like that, I really think I'm gonna do it. Plenty of other games to spend my money on.

I've already been doing this with Microsoft for several years now, though that's largely because I don't like their hardware or their approach to PC, not because of any perceived anti-consumer agenda. I still follow their direction with interest so I don't really count it. Today, on the other hand, I find anticipated titles from EA, like SimCity, just bouncing off my radar. No thanks.

One other thing, I can understand taking a personal stance but I do believe judging others and tossing out thinly veiled insults towards those who do not share ones views is quite idiotic.

I definitely agree with this. It's a personal choice, not a picket line.

Well I vowed to not buy any more GFWL games about a year ago, and I've held to it with the exception of the Arkham City steam-version bait and switch which they pulled.

I haven't explicitly stopped buying capcom games because of shitty business practices, but they have nothing that excites me with the exception of dragon's dogma.

As far as EA goes, I could see myself not buying a non-EA Partners game from them again. But chances are that they will eventually put out a game so incredible that I'll have to check it out.

*looks at lack of recent EA, Ubisoft, Rovio, ActiBlizz, and Fez games*

Mission accomplished.

Haven't played Fez since it's not out on PC yet and am unaware of the backlash, but you're definitely missing out on Rayman Origins.

Vitacat

Are you strong enough to stop supporting a company that acts AGAINST customers?

Easy as pie for me. I've mostly left console gaming already. Anti-used games measures will be the final straw. And mind you, I buy both new and used games, so they will be losing actual sales on me. Their loss. I'll find lots of other ways to have fun.

TDLink

Absolutely. I was already pissed with the mml3 cancellation and having to buy umvc3 mere months later. The locked characters on sfxt was the final straw for me with capcom. Its too bad too since both dragons dogma and re6 look awesome. I will hold strong though. Still haven't bought sfxt and won't.

Top Bottom