• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvelous Ent. working on PS3/360 game

EXGN

http://www.ps3center.net/news/2730/marvellous-entertainment-starts-work-on-new-ps3360-title/

After initiating a stock movement late last week that put Marvelous Entertainment CEO Haruki Nakayama at the company's top stock holder position, the Japanese developer has announced it will begin working on a new multiplatform PS3 and XBox 360 game.

Marvelous, a huge Japanese publisher behind popular titles such as No More Heroes, has previously had a focus on Nintendo Wii and DS games, with their PS3/360 title Rainy Woods falling by the wayside over the past years. The company was moving towards the direction of cost reduction, laying off nearly two dozen employees over the past year. However, the publisher cited the industry's domestic slow down and the attractive sales performance of high def games worldwide as a reason for their change in policy.

Little is actually known about the game, but it will be released worldwide, with emphasis on appealing to Western gamers. The game is due before the end of the 2010 fiscal year.

Is No More Heroes PS3/360 too much to ask for?

I find it odd that they believe that the sales on PS360 are attractive to them.

But I guess that's owed to the PS3's barely outselling the Wii for a couple of months on most weeks.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Wii does become a massive selling console in Japan again, they may highly consider at least a Wii version of this and Rainy Woods?

Time will tell. No denying that their Wii support has been nothing short of outstanding!

Hey, as long as they keep making their RPGs and Harvest Moon games for the Wii, that's fine with me! :D

Someone said in the other thread that this game is apparently called The Eleventh Chapter... could be an Adventure or Horror game perhaps?

Edit: Well I more honestly would be much finer with them putting most of their support on Wii, not just RPGs. :p

But that will happen for a couple more years, all we know of for the PS3 and 360 is Rainy Woods and this, and they have like half a dozen known Wii games coming up plus a lot more obviously. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hero of Legend said:

I would guess it's for the same reasons most pubs still seem more comfortable putting their (bigger, at least) stuff on the HD consoles - whatever those reasons may be. Software sales on the HD platforms can be pretty damn good, particularly worldwide which is what they say they have their eye on here.

"Marvelous", "huge Japanese publisher", "popular titles", "No More Heroes"...

I'm reading the words, but I'm not entirely sure they all belong together...

pswii60

Hero of Legend said:

But I guess that's owed to the PS3's barely outselling the Wii for a couple of months on most weeks.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Wii does become a massive selling console in Japan again, they may highly consider at least a Wii version of this and Rainy Woods?

Time will tell. No denying that their Wii support has been nothing short of outstanding!

Hey, as long as they keep making their RPGs and Harvest Moon games for the Wii, that's fine with me! :D

Someone said in the other thread that this game is apparently called The Eleventh Chapter... could be an Adventure or Horror game perhaps?

Edit: Well I more honestly would be much finer with them putting most of their support on Wii, not just RPGs. :p

But that will happen for a couple more years, all we know of for the PS3 and 360 is Rainy Woods and this, and they have like half a dozen known Wii games coming up plus a lot more obviously. :D
wat

pswii60 said:

wat what?

Bolding specifics would've helped.

°°ToMmY°° said:
hopefully this is rainy woods, i was looking forward to that game. it completely vanished.

This wouldn't be Rainy Woods as they didn't even name the game, and they already obviously announced that ages ago.

It could've had an unannounced name change, but I highly doubt it.

The only thing we know about it (though unconfirmed), is that it's been going through a massive retooling to look less like a Twin Peaks ripoff.

Threi

notag
sweet.

The awesomeness that is Marvelous needs to be shared :D

Wonder what it would be though...hopefully not a FPS :lol

Hero of Legend said:

The article specifically says the game is being targeted to Western audiences.

GCX said:
I wouldn't really classify Marvelous as "a huge Japanese publisher"..

Not sure if they should be considered huge, but they'll probably have to cut some staff and fire a few people after launching their HD game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
(neutral) Hero of Legend
Banned
(Today, 01:40 AM)
Reply | Quote

wat

Tailzo

SOunds interesting to me, and surprising too. I had not heard any previous news about Marvelous making an HD game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Poor Hero, War has changed...

@News

I hope its a RPG ;-)

Kintaro said:
How about some Vanillaware love for the HD consoles? *drools*

I'd love to see some Vanillaware stuff on PSN/XBLA, but I guess financially it'd never make sense for them. But with a downloadable game, a shorter length wouldnt be as looked down upon whereas their retail releases always seem to suffer from them stringing the basic game design on for 2-4 hours too long. Still excited to play Muramasa Demon Blade later this year though. Or 2010 if i get a PAL Wii after all XD

I read Hero's first post in this thread in my head as someone rocking back and forth and whispering to themselves for reassurance :lol

Opiate

I think this is important news just because it makes it absolutely clear that the Wii is not some Panacea.

There is no question that many Publishers are struggling mightily on the PS3/360. I've pointed out many times how most major western publishers are losing money -- and in many cases like EA or Midway, tons of it -- but that doesn't mean simply moving everything to the Wii would work, either.

I would actually argue that it isn't the Wii or PS3/360 that are struggling to turn a profit, it's hardcore gaming that's struggling on a financial level. I think we're seeing issues across all 3 platforms, and the only area where people are clearly turning a profit is on Wii with more casual titles.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SecretBonusPoint said:
I'd love to see some Vanillaware stuff on PSN/XBLA, but I guess financially it'd never make sense for them. But with a downloadable game, a shorter length wouldnt be as looked down upon whereas their retail releases always seem to suffer from them stringing the basic game design on for 2-4 hours too long. Still excited to play Muramasa Demon Blade later this year though. Or 2010 if i get a PAL Wii after all XD

I read Hero's first post in this thread in my head as someone rocking back and forth and whispering to themselves for reassurance :lol

Their art is already originally drawn at HD resolutions (Odin Sphere was as well and I don't see them moving away from that) so that's really not a concern. I don't get where you get this "looking down upon" BS. If they can charge full price for the game on Wii, they could do the same for 360/PS3.

Great news. I remember in an earlier interview they were stating with how they wanted to work on the higher end platforms as well. Here's hoping they reach established niche status like Atlus. Only with more variety.

SecretBonusPoint said:
I'd love to see some Vanillaware stuff on PSN/XBLA, but I guess financially it'd never make sense for them.

Unlike SNK or Arc System Works they don't do there stuff on the computer, they paint their art work then mess around with it in programs like Photoshop and the like. So their sprites are HD to begin with.

Haunted said:
Why not go all out if we're wishing here? :D

The higher definition the better. :D It's not like it would cost Vanillaware extra.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
We have lost an incredible human being :(

I'm shocked he lasted this long.

I don't know who is going to blatantly beg for Wii games in the Famitsu thread now :(

On topic, this isn't that surprising- I believe Marvelous was interviewed months ago as saying they eventually wanted to move to the HD platforms, and if they can keep costs down those smaller type of games probably have more of an audience on the HD twins, at least in Japan.

A Vanilla Ware game for PS3/360 would be cool, but given that they said they want to focus on appealing to the Western Audience more, I'm sure it'll be 3D and more than likely, a shooter.

Kintaro said:
Their art is already originally drawn at HD resolutions (Odin Sphere was as well and I don't see them moving away from that) so that's really not a concern. I don't get where you get this "looking down upon" BS. If they can charge full price for the game on Wii, they could do the same for 360/PS3.

Japanese devs really havent hopped aboard the PSN/XBLA boat in any real volume at all. Capcom as ever has been the most forward thinking amongst them.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I'm saying with the "looked down upon" comment. I'm saying for a retail disc game, it has to be a certain length to stop a same-day trade/return, and Vanillaware's games seem to drag on and outstay their welcome most of the time. With a DD title, they could make it shorter and more focussed without that stigma, but then would it justify bothering with such gorgeous HD artwork. Odin Sphere struck me as a game tailored to being very Episodic in content for instance.

pakkit

Banned
Haunted said:
Fixed, because why not go all out if we're dreaming here? :D
Psst...Dolphin runs it HD.

Glad to see Marvelous branching out. Their support for the Wii has been, ahem, Marvelous, and they pick imports that gamers desire instead of looking at the almighty dollar.

Fuck you, NoA.

Azure J

Oh wow, Hero's gone? :(

Meanwhile, great news for Marvelous fans all around today. They are really standing to make a great name for themselves at this rate! :D

Threi

notag
Y2Kev said:
We have lost an incredible human being :(
We should probably stop with the antics in this thread and give our condolences.

R.I.P. Hero of Legend, we hardly knew ye

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Haunted said:
Sweet, spreading the Marvelous love.

Fixed, because why not go all out if we're dreaming here? :D

I agree, but it's not a dream. Just up to Vanillaware to do it. Their art is in HD to begin with. But yes, PC ftw.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Who is going to bug XSEED's product manager every day with localization questions???!??

WHO I TELL YOU

pakkit

Banned
he was an hero
of legend

Kintaro said:
I agree, but it's not a dream. Just up to Vanillaware to do it. Their art is in HD to begin with.
And their pockets. HD development has gotten a lot cheaper since the generation began, though, so hopefully they could do it. Their artwork is orgasmic.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think this is a smart move by Marvelous. The Wii has proven to NOT be the hot spot for 3rd party hardcore games for them first hand and by others...I don't believe the numbers for MadWorld have come out yet, right?

Threi

notag
Tashi0106 said:
I think this is a smart move by Marvelous. The Wii has proven to NOT be the hot spot for 3rd party hardcore games for them first hand and by others...I don't believe the numbers for MadWorld have come out yet, right?
the fuck?

Tashi0106 said:

Joke post?
Please be a joke post...

Dascu

Rainy Woods back from the dead?

Tashi0106 said:
Actually, Marvelous has been quite successful on the Wii.

Edit: Oh, poor Hero.

Edit 2: The info in the OP's a tad lacking. Here's a post with more information from another thread:
--Marvelous Entertainment announced late last week (April 9) plans to allocate new common stock shares to current CEO Haruki Nakayama. Using capital raised from this move, the company hopes to fund development on a multiplatform game targeting high end machines.

--The total amount of capital raised from the allocation will come to 496,865,000 yen. Marvelous plans on using this as half the development budget for a game with expected development cost of 1.0 billion yen. Costs will be recouped through a multiplatform release in North America, Japan, and Europe. The title is expected to be released by March 2011.

While the company did not list a specific system, it did refer to the game as targeting high end game platforms, citing PS3 and Xbox 360 as examples of such machines.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15460179&postcount=32

Opiate

pakkit said:
And their pockets. HD development has gotten a lot cheaper since the generation began, though, so hopefully they could do it

What's your evidence of this? Honest question. Development costs tend to go up, not down.

wsippel

Banned
EXGN said:
Is No More Heroes PS3/360 too much to ask for?
Probably. Whatever they're working on, I just hope it'll work. 1 Billion Yen is a lot of money for MMV. The article strikes me as sensationalist, though. I don't think they're really changing their plans, I believe they just want to try something else in addition to what they already do.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That would be a sequel. Dangerously Dry Brush is the prequel.

Things work out in the end because it rains and prevents massive fires

Top Bottom