• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
People who think the Government can't do anything right.
Private for profit companies can obviously do a better job...

The legal system is what jails people. The Legal system is maintained by the government, and so the government should maintain the jails. It's not that complicated.
You are looking at it backwards. Government is the problem, privatize the legal system! Corporate cops, judges and juries woohoo.

What could go wrong?

People who think the Government can't do anything right.
Private for profit companies can obviously do a better job...

The legal system is what jails people. The Legal system is maintained by the government, and so the government should maintain the jails. It's not that complicated.

OR, we could privatize the judicial system.

Edit: Oh shit, I see I was beaten. And why not, when it just makes so much sense.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can we also privatize the military. Then we can support the troops real proper like.

Anyway, Real Time's panel was great this episode going after the Giuliani flack for saying that Obama's the most radical, leftist president ever. But one thing I wish they caught was when she kept saying that the individual mandate was a creation of the left and that Nancy Pelosi (!) had to pull Obama into supporting that to get the HCR bill passed? Wtf?

Oblivion

Wow, check out this piece of stellar "reporting':

After introducing his first guests, Matthews said, "Today’s jobs report was a mixed bag of course. 115,000 jobs were added to payrolls in April. The unemployment rate did drop to 8.1 percent, the lowest rate since President Obama took office."

No!

As the following chart from the Bureau of Labor Statistics clearly shows, the unemployment rate was 7.3 percent when Obama was sworn in.

However, as Inauguration Day is January 20, most people consider a new president's starting point as far as jobs are concerned to be that January's number. As such, Obama's term began with unemployment at 7.8 percent.

We of course are used to liberal media members distorting economic data for this president's benefit.

But to falsely say unemployment is now at "the lowest rate since" Obama took office is either the height of ignorance, dishonesty, or both.

Sadly, this is pretty commonplace on this so-called "news network" these days.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...laims-unemployment-rate-now-lowest-obama-took

Got that? Obama had a 7.8% unemployment race his first "official" month in office, even though he had a little more than a week left to actually do anything.

Right wing journalism at its finest.

jaxword

Any Mormons here or know any freinds or family who are excited about a possible Mormon president?

I have a Mormon classmate from a smaller town, though he's pretty liberal and claims he doesn't really buy into everything the "old guys back home" push (i.e. the multiple wives).

He's pretty apathetic about the possibility of a Mormon president, saying that "Romney's Mormonism" isn't the same as "My childhood Mormonism."

So he basically says it wouldn't really affect his home church's practices either way if Obama or Romney won, they'd continue on doing what they want. In the end, that's probably true of a lot of religious towns; they'll do their own thing and keep out of the national eye.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Any Mormons here or know any freinds or family who are excited about a possible Mormon president?

Eh, if he lived by mormon practices more often I would be more excited but he doesn't seem to have much interest in caring for the poor or sick and instead caters only to the wealthy and the bootstrap crowd. I was excited in 2008. The man who passed HealthCare legislation in Massachusetts, raised taxes when needed, had a balanced budget, closed tax loopholes for many, and so on became a blundering fool.

Did they just steal all the assets and just change the text?
Not an expert but after looking at the slides side by side, it seems like they just print screened the images and used them in their version yes. At least I'm guessing that because there seems to be jpeg compression or what is it called. It just looks very similar to how something would look when you print screened it and then pasted it somewhere else. Frames are exactly the same besides that.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Not an expert but after looking at the slides side by side, it seems like they just print screened the images and used them in their version yes. At least I'm guessing that because there seems to be jpeg compression or what is it called. It just looks very similar to how something would look when you print screened it and then pasted it somewhere else. Frames are exactly the same besides that.

From Obama's site. Copyright? lol what is that!?!

Copyright and Limited License
Unless otherwise indicated in the Sites, the Sites and all content and other materials on the Sites, including, without limitation, OFA's logo, and all designs, text, graphics, pictures, information, data, software, tools, widgets, sound files, other files and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively, the "Site Materials") are the proprietary property of OFA or its licensors or users and are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.

You are granted a limited, non-sublicensable license to access and use the Sites and the Site Materials for your informational, non-commercial and personal use only. Such license is subject to these Terms of Service and does not include: (a) any resale or commercial use of the Sites or the Site Materials therein; (b) the reproduction, distribution, public performance or public display of any Site Materials, except as expressly permitted on the Site; (c) modifying or otherwise making any derivative uses of the Sites and the Site Materials, or any portion thereof; (d) use of any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; (e) downloading (other than the page caching) of any portion of the Sites, the Site Materials or any information contained therein, except as expressly permitted on the Sites; or (f) any use of the Sites or the Site Materials other than for its intended purpose. Any use of the Sites or the Site Materials other than as specifically authorized herein, without the prior written permission of OFA, is strictly prohibited and will terminate the license granted herein. Such unauthorized use may also violate applicable laws including without limitation copyright and trademark laws and applicable communications regulations and statutes. Unless explicitly stated herein, nothing in these Terms of Service shall be construed as conferring any license to intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, implication or otherwise. This license is revocable at any time.

Repeat Infringer Policy
In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") and other applicable law, OFA has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances as determined by OFA in its sole discretion, subscribers or account holders who are deemed to be repeat infringers. OFA may also at its sole discretion limit access to the Sites and/or terminate the accounts of any users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I finally saw that "Julia" thing. Pretty durn good. Unfortunately, some folks at the Heritage Foundation didn't seem as smitten, so they created their own version:

http://blog.heritage.org/a-better-life-for-julia/?gclid=CIqq5oiQ668CFWcHRQod0Gj93A
All of this stuff seems dependent on Julia's family having...well...money. I mean, the option to go to private school is great, I sure hope Obama doesn't outlaw them.

EDIT: And then it goes off the deep end
"will not be tethered to an employer or government health plan" wut? Are they saying that under Obamacare you won't be allowed to choose your own health insurance if you can afford it?

GhaleonEB

Kirk-3_23_12.jpg

Wilsongt

I went to high school with a hardcore Morman girl. She is practically creaming her pants at the idea of Romney being president. I eventually had to hide all of her status updates on Facebook. Was getting out of hand.

Why is this okay?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/3/myth-of-a-two-state-solution/

There is no such thing as a two-state solution. It cannot work, it has not worked, and it will not work.
The only viable solution for the Middle East is a one-state solution: one contiguous Israeli state from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. There will not and cannot be lasting peace in the Middle East until then.
Those Palestinians who wish to may leave their Fatah- and Hamas-created slums and move to the original Palestinian state: Jordan.
Those Palestinians who remain behind in Israel will maintain limited voting power but will be awarded all the economic and civil rights of Israeli citizens. They will be free to raise families, start businesses and live in peace, all of which are impossible under current Arab rule.
The goal should not be peace at all costs. The goal should be a strong, free and prosperous Israel. The United States should not be some honest broker between two sides, but rather should stand publicly with one side - Israel. Then, and only then, will real peace truly come.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...eid-ethnic-cleansing-for-palestinians/256775/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Walsh_(Illinois_politician)
William Joseph "Joe" Walsh (born December 27, 1961) is the Republican U.S. Representative for Illinois' northwest suburban 8th congressional district.[2][5] He has served in Congress since January 2011

I finally saw that "Julia" thing. Pretty durn good. Unfortunately, some folks at the Heritage Foundation didn't seem as smitten, so they created their own version:

http://blog.heritage.org/a-better-life-for-julia/?gclid=CIqq5oiQ668CFWcHRQod0Gj93A

aAAARGH. The very first they write is such bullshit . . .

With conservative reforms: Julia will be a happy three year old unburdened by the federal government She will not be $50,000 in debt the day she is born, and her parents will have access to private preschool providers of choice.

WTF?!?!? Reagan, Bush, BushW1, and BushW2 RAN UP MOST OF THE DEBT! The deficit came down during Clinton's term. Obama's deficits have been large but they are at least holding steady to the size of deficit that Bush had when he left office.

And are they implying Obama is banning private preschool? WTF?

How am I supposed to take the conservative side seriously when they are so loosely tethered to reality. I understand they don't like Obama and have different policy views. But you will not get any fucking respect if your approach is to just spew lies. If your policies are so bad that you need to fucking lie then your policies are probably shit.

It is not OK.

It is racist we-need-Jews-to-rule-all-Israel-to-bring-Jesus-back Evangelical-Zionist dreck published in the far-right money-losing Mooney-Times. It is ethnic-cleansing followed by Apartheid for the the stragglers. Un-fucking-believable.

Even George W. Bush would reject that garbage. Most Israelis would reject that garbage.

Edit: LOL. I had not clicked on that Atlantic article and I see that they had the same view I did in their headline.

Well, if the Dems run a decent candidate and the Greens don't muck it up, they should be able kick him out.

Dunno, that is the same exact animation and whatnot. Maybe there is a website that allows you to make the animation? The Heritage one looks like they took screen grabs and changed the text, but who knows. Would be hilarious if they violated copyrights though.

Clearly they are copying but political debate speech is among the most protected speech and this is just "fair use" criticism.

Particle Physicist

Clearly they are copying but political debate speech is among the most protected speech and this is just fair use criticism.

I understand fair use criticism, but does that extend beyond the actual content and into other things like website animations? It's not like they created something that looks like Obama's Julia thing, it looks like they flat out screen grabbed the images and changed the text. Maybe it was all done by a third party that shared the assets? I dunno, but if it wasn't, that seems a bit shady to me.

I understand fair use criticism, but does that extend beyond the actual content and into other things like website animations? It's not like they created something that looks like Obama's Julia thing, it looks like they flat out screen grabbed the images and changed the text. Maybe it was all done by a third party that shared the assets? I dunno, but if it wasn't, that seems a bit shady to me.

I've only looked at the heritage foundation one which is as you say (screen grabs but no animation). If they steal the animations it does go beyond what was needed to make their point and they could have more of a case. The best way to pursue it would be if some web design company still owned the animations and just licensed them to the Obama campaign such that the web firm could go after others.

Politically, it would be pretty petty for a campaign to go after others for copyright infringement. Look at Obama's ads . . . his best material will come from broadcasting clips from the GOP primary debates. That is copying as well but again clearly fair use.

RDreamer

aAAARGH. The very first they write is such bullshit . . .

WTF?!?!? Reagan, Bush, BushW1, and BushW2 RAN UP MOST OF THE DEBT! The deficit came down during Clinton's term. Obama's deficits have been large but they are at least holding steady to the size of deficit that Bush had when he left office.

And are they implying Obama is banning private preschool? WTF?

How am I supposed to take the conservative side seriously when they are so loosely tethered to reality. I understand they don't like Obama and have different policy views. But you will not get any fucking respect if your approach is to just spew lies. If your policies are so bad that you need to fucking lie then your policies are probably shit.

Oooooh, that's what that's talking about. I sat there staring at that slide for a few minutes not knowing what in fuck's name they were talking about with a debt as soon as you're born. That's some crazy stretching, even if Obama was the one to run them up most and not Bush, etc.

Particle Physicist

I've only looked at the heritage foundation one which is as you say (screen grabs but no animation). If they steal the animations it does go beyond what was needed to make their point and they could have more of a case. The best way to pursue it would be if some web design company still owned the animations and just licensed them to the Obama campaign such that the web firm could go after others.

Politically, it would be pretty petty for a campaign to go after others for copyright infringement. Look at Obama's ads . . . his best material will come from broadcasting clips from the GOP primary debates. That is copying as well but again clearly fair use.

I'm not saying Obama should go after them, but it's clearly a bit different than using broadcasting clips. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Heritage Foundation backed SOPA, which makes this a little hilarious.

EDIT

Nevermind, they actually came out against SOPA.

RDreamer

Thankfully, the state is willing to give her a low interest loan, which hides the fact that spending $50,000 on a degree in graphic design is a terrible idea.

Hey... that's a low blow...
I have a degree in graphic design and I paid about $50,000 for it :(

Julia is willing to work for less money to gain valuable experience, but can't. She discovers that the little freelance web design work she can find doesn't pay the bills. Julia blames capitalism for her troubles instead of looking at hindrances such as government.

So, she's willing to work for less money that won't pay the bills? And this would be ok?

She may have been able to afford the $5 generic pills from Target with her parent's inheritance money, but it was taken by the state through the "estate tax."

wtf? Estate tax is only taxed above 5 MILLION dollars. And the rate for only what's above that is 35%.

Julia's growing dependence on government programs makes her a perfect voting block for candidates to target in "fear campaigns."

I see a lot more fear campaigns coming from the other side....

She may have been able to afford the $5 generic pills from Target with her parent's inheritance money, but it was taken by the state through the "estate tax."

wtf? Estate tax is only taxed above 5 MILLION dollars. And the rate for only what's above that is 35%. .

Yeah, that un-fucking-believeable. Julia has $5 million but she can't afford $5 generic pills.

The amazing thing is that there are lots of people stupid enough to believe that. Suckers.

I often get the feeling of "Fuck 'em . . . they deserve to suffer" if the are just going to be that stupid and fall for that.

I really think you guys give PD a bit of a hard time. I mean he does have some funny troll posts, but I don't see what's wrong with some of the things he's posting.

You can't decide to be a half-troll. All PD's posts are trolls, now, whether he intends that or not. You pick your joke character, you stick with it (or it sticks with you).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I am more insulted that they think graphic designers are also web designers.

Obama admin stance on gay rights "evolving" faster as we approach the election

Vice President Joe Biden on Sunday said that's he's "absolutely comfortable" with married same-sex couples being granted the same rights as heterosexual pairs.

"I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties," he told NBC's David Gregory on "Meet the Press." "And quite frankly, I don't see much of a distinction beyond that." (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

President Barack Obama has said his position on same sex marriage is "evolving," and he supported civil unions but opposed marriage for gay couples during the 2008 campaign. Biden noted Sunday that the "president sets the policy" and that he did not know if the administration would formally come out in favor of same-sex marriage in the president's second term should he be re-elected.

But the vice president said that attitudes about gay marriage in America are changing in favor of greater tolerance for loving homosexual partners.

"The good news is that as more and more Americans become to understand what this is all about is a simple proposition," he said. "Who do you love? Who do you love? And will you be loyal to the person you love? And that's what people are finding out is what -- what all marriages, at their root, are about."

An aide pointed to the administration's efforts to challenge the Defense of Marriage Act and said that the vice president's comments only reiterated Obama's past support for "committed and loving same-sex couples."

"The vice president was saying what the president has said previously -- that committed and loving same-sex couples deserve the same rights and protections enjoyed by all Americans, and that we oppose any effort to roll back those rights," the aide said. "That's why we stopped defending the constitutionality of Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act in legal challenges and support legislation to repeal it. Beyond that, the vice president was expressing that he too is evolving on the issue, after meeting so many committed couples and families in this country."

Section 3 is the section defines marriage for federal purposes as between one man and one woman.

Biden, who twice ran for president before accepting the job of Obama's second-in-command, pushed back on persistent speculation that he could be replaced on the 2012 ticket by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "There's no way out. I mean, they've already printed Obama-Biden!" he said.

And he quipped Sunday that he and one-time rival Clinton may run on a joint ticket in 2016.

"I think we may run as a team," he said, quickly noting that he was joking.

"I don't know whether I'm gonna run," he added. "And Hillary doesn't know whether she's gonna run."

Human Rights Campaign, an advocacy group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender rights, said it was encouraged by Biden's comments. Biden "rightly articulated that loving and committed gay and lesbian couples should be treated equally," President Joe Solmonese said in a statement. "Now is the time for President Obama to speak out for full marriage equality for same-sex couples."

Those Palestinians who remain behind in Israel will maintain limited voting power but will be awarded all the economic and civil rights of Israeli citizens. They will be free to raise families, start businesses and live in peace, all of which are impossible under current Arab rule.

Man talk about pushing the envelope in freedom. And its not possible under the Palestinian rule? Really?

GhaleonEB

http://m.lvsun.com/news/2012/may/06/ron-paul-supporters-capture-majority-nevadas-natio/

Ron Paul supporters capture majority of Nevada’s national delegates

Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul captured the majority of Nevada’s national delegates early Sunday, overwhelming likely nominee Mitt Romney with an organized contingent who easily took control of the state convention.

Paul’s supporters won 22 of the 25 national delegate slots up for election at the state convention in Sparks on Saturday. Romney won three.

Another three automatic delegates are expected to support Romney, meaning Romney will have six supporters in the delegation and Paul will have 22.

But while Paul loyalists will make up the majority of the Nevada delegation, Republican rules require the first vote at the national convention to reflect the results of the Feb. 4 caucus, which Romney easily won.

That means 20 of Nevada’s national delegates must vote for Romney, while eight will be free to vote for Paul in the first balloting.

While some Paul supporters voiced an intention to challenge the binding requirement, the campaign opted not to further antagonize the Republican National Committee, who has threatened not to seat the delegates if they ignore the caucus results and vote for Paul.
This might prove to be an unusually entertaining convention.

Chichikov

At least he's honest.
This is the end result of Israel's policies in the West Bank, it's just that usually Israel's "friends" in Washington have enough sense to not articulate that.
God bless the Tea Party.

Obama admin stance on gay rights "evolving" faster as we approach the election
Good.
I think by 2014 Democrats will be falling over themselves to support gay marriage.

Loudninja

Airstrike kills senior al-Qaida leader in Yemen
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — An airstrike Sunday killed a top al-Qaida leader on the FBI's most wanted list for his role in the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole warship, Yemeni officials said. The airstrike resembled earlier U.S. drone attacks, but the U.S. did not immediately confirm it.

Fahd al-Quso was hit by a missile as he stepped out of his vehicle, along with another al-Qaida operative in the southern Shabwa province, Yemeni military officials said. They were speaking on condition of anonymity in accordance with military regulations.

The airstrike came as the U.S. and Yemen cooperate in a battle against al-Qaida in southern Yemen.

Al-Quso, 37, was on the FBI's most wanted list, with a $5 million reward for information leading to his capture. He was indicted in the U.S. for his role in the 2000 bombing in the USS Cole in Aden, Yemen, in which 17 American sailors were killed and 39 injured.

He served more than five years in a Yemeni prison for his role in the attack and was released in 2007. He briefly escaped prison in 2003 but later turned himself in to serve the rest of his sentence.

A telephone text message claiming to be from al-Qaida media arm confirmed al-Quso was killed in the strike.

Al-Quso was also one of the most senior al-Qaida leaders publicly linked to the 2009 Christmas airliner attack. He has allegedly met with the suspected bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab in Yemen before he left on his way to execute his failed bombing over Detroit.
http://news.yahoo.com/airstrike-kills-senior-al-qaida-leader-yemen-185236164.html

Oblivion

I often get the feeling of "Fuck 'em . . . they deserve to suffer" if the are just going to be that stupid and fall for that.

I'd agree, except the only problem with that is you wind up punishing the innocent along with the stupid.

Al-ibn Kermit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom