• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt details (~50 hour main quest, slowmo combat target, etc)

methodman

Banned
I think my favorite part is the No QTE's. I loved witcher 2, but everytime a qte event came up i got so pissed. hate those with a passion. i literally stopped playing 1/3 of the way into the 2nd xbox 360 disc because of it.

So hyped for this game. Geralt is such an awesome character.

I just finished my second play-through of Witcher 2 and I want to start another one.

Deadstar

Everything sounds awesome but the slowmo attacks. I like the fast paced nature of the combat from 2. Hopefully it only happens every once in a while.

Giran

Everything sounds awesome but the slowmo attacks. I like the fast paced nature of the combat from 2. Hopefully it only happens every once in a while.

I suppose you'll only use it when you want to cut specific parts off of a monster. Or to Zandatsu some enemies for fun.

50 hours? Way too long. Games like this usually end up being boring. Give me a shorter but better experience.

I can understand the complaint if it was a shooter or an action game, but this is a fully voiced RPG. Anything less than 30 hours would be a disapppointment for me. This is a series that I mainly play due to the Witcher universe, and I therefore expect tons of exposition throughout the game. The immersive experience would be ruined if they started to cut the game short by introducing infodumps. Every part of the world, be it main quests, side quests or locations, should be allowed to breathe. I want to piece together the greater picture myself as I play through the game, and not simply get it thrown in my face through an infodump.

Midou

I can understand the complaint if it was a shooter or an action game, but this is a fully voiced RPG. Anything less than 30 hours would be a disapppointment for me. This is a series that I mainly play due to the Witcher universe, and I therefore expect tons of exposition throughout the game. The immersive experience would be ruined if they started to cut the game short by introducing infodumps. Every part of the world, be it main quests, side quests or locations, should be allowed to breathe. I want to piece together the greater picture myself as I play through the game, and not simply get it thrown in my face through an infodump.

Yep. Nothing wrong with an awesome experience lasting a long time. Witcher 1 was longer for me and I loved all of it.

Witcher 3 should aim for an early 2014 launch, around April. They'll be the Oblivion of next gen as the first major action open world RPG.

- there is a new mechanic, which is similar to VATS from Fallout 3. You can aim at the specific parts of monsters bodies in slow-mo

Dead on!

This is awesome news. I'm glad they went into a little more detail about how save file importing will work, even though I still don't know how much of an impact things like (TW2 spoilers incoming)
freeing Saskia from Phillipa's mind control spell or sparing Letho
will have. And this "36 final game states" bit sounds like a hint of how much the game world can be shaped depending on the main quests Geralt can complete.

I'm optimistic. My hype's got nowhere to go but up. =D

boskee

I am excited by the fact, that you can tame horses using Axii. They're staying true to the books.

Also, Game Informer's embargo ends today, so expect loads of new details in the coming weeks.

[Edit] Oh, another piece of information from Ze Germans:

- No fractions. You won't have to decide for a fraction like the Order of the Flaming Rose or the Scoia'tael. A Witcher acts independently all the time.
- You can't attack innocents, because that doesn't fit Geralt's character.
- Fist fighting will still use QTEs.

Hargenx

It sounds like nothing nowadays but it's a feature that seems to avoid the few open world RPGs we get. One of the most commonly requested features in Bethesda games is the ability to climb stuff, it increases exploration and the ability to place secrets when you add a vertical space to everything you already had in place.

The Elder Scroll is funny, they have climbing in Daggerfall, but just in there, no climbing in Morrowind(where you can fly for god sake) and don't even think about it in Oblivion and Skyrim and the eternal excuse of "broken game skill".

Savitar

If there is one company in this day and age that can pull all this off it's this one.

The Witcher series has yet to let me down and the company is damn good at fixing any problems or mistakes, a damn giving one to their customers too.

Such a nice change of pace in this day and age, excited, oh yeah definitely.

Seriously. Open world games like that need some verticality.
I hope that they took some pointers from Gothic 2 (they mention it at least)
Wow, long game.
Witcher 1 was much longer than 2, but it had some shitty sections like the swamp, or the backpedaling in the beginning. It has some great moments that top 2 for me though.
50 hours? Way too long.
I love long games, but I agree that RPG can get boring it they have too much grind / fetch quests.

Ushae

Banned
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
164868265.jpg

I lol'd

Slo-mo in wit her may give it a very interesting gameplay facet. It would give monster encounters depth and a sense of tactics, you'd need to 'know' the monster before the encounter true wit her style. I'm sick of these games that hold your hand through the entire game and give you an artificial sense of accomplishment.

These guys know how to make damn good games guys. Believe.

I am excited by the fact, that you can tame horses using Axii. They're staying true to the books.

Also, Game Informer's embargo ends today, so expect loads of new details in the coming weeks.

[Edit] Oh, another piece of information from Ze Germans:

- No fractions. You won't have to decide for a fraction like the Order of the Flaming Rose or the Scoia'tael. A Witcher acts independently all the time.
- You can't attack innocents, because that doesn't fit Geralt's character.
- Fist fighting will still use QTEs.

Looks like I'll be skipping that minigame again.

DocSeuss

Apparently Shani's still totally nonexistent.

- Geralt will be much more agile. Now he can jump and climb wherever he want.

YES, BUT WILL WE STILL HAVE TO SIT THROUGH HIS ANIMATIONS, OR CAN WE BREAK THEM?

This is important when you're trying to jump, climb, and be acrobatic.

BraXzy

Really need to get round to playing Witcher 2 so I can enjoy this at launch. Any tips to keep in mind when I do?

boskee

I think it's important to stress, that 50 hours is only for the main story line. They still claim there will be 100 hours of playtime.

phaze

Really need to get round to playing Witcher 2 so I can enjoy this at launch. Any tips to keep in mind when I do?

Roll. Also roll. Besides that remember to roll.

Watch Witcher 1 CGI outro if you haven't played the first one. When you can, buy talents that diminish damage you take when attacked in the back and upgrade your rolling distance. Also roll, don't try to block

Camp Lo

Banned
- improved combat system: a buttonpress is now a single attack, instead of the combo stuff from Witcher 2. The camera will also zoom out during encounters.

I wonder how this will work out. I gotta see some gameplay.

DocSeuss

They really are (fast travel aside).
It's almost scary, because they are inflating my expectations to insane levels and an eventual failure would burn me like some eternal flame of pain and sorrow. Or something.

This seems like one of those "you don't HAVE to use it, you know" features, like Quicksave or something. It's there if you want it, but if you don't enjoy it, by all means, avoid.

While I generally enjoy walking around the world, The Witcher 2's world design was often so bad that I ached for fast travel. There was no point walking all the way out to the far end of a cave only to have to walk all the way back with literally nothing to do because you went through it all and killed everyone and looted everything.

They really are (fast travel aside).
It's almost scary, because they are inflating my expectations to insane levels and an eventual failure would burn me like some eternal flame of pain and sorrow. Or something.

Haha, I feel the same way. I was really sceptical when the game was announced but they've managed to address most of my concerns.

Sentenza

This seems like one of those "you don't HAVE to use it, you know" features, like Quicksave or something. It's there if you want it, but if you don't enjoy it, by all means, avoid.
That's a naive argument at best.
Those features often affect design regardless of your willing to use them.

While I generally enjoy walking around the world, The Witcher 2's world design was often so bad that I ached for fast travel.
Seriously? My problem with it was more about how small and strict areas were, I can't really say I noticed shiny examples of bad world design.
Beside, fast travel would have been unbelievably pointless and stupid in areas that you could traverse from part to part in two minutes.

DocSeuss

That's a naive argument at best.
Those features often affect design regardless of your willing to use them.

Seriously? My problem with it was more about how small and strict areas were, I can't really say I noticed shiny examples of bad world design.
Beside, fast travel would have been unbelievably pointless and stupid in areas that you could traverse from part to part in two minutes.

In totally unrelated news, I finally saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Your name was a helpful reminder to do so.

Hrm. I can sort of agree with your first point. STALKER implemented a fast travel system, but it didn't negatively impact the games it was a part of. Quicksaving hasn't negatively impacted any games I've played. It's an option, and nothing more. The only games it's been a problem in are games with bad checkpointing, but that's a tangentially related decision.

I was frustrated by the small and strict areas. I was also frustrated by, say, having to spend five minutes running over to a little hut to talk to some guy, and then spending five minutes back, with nothing interesting happening in between.

Part of the problem was that the games tended to bunch all the important stuff up close. Roche path spends like 70% of its time in the camp during Act II, but then it has some bits that take you five minutes or so to walk to, with literally nothing to do in between--there's no point.

At least, in a game like Skyrim, there's always something on the map to find, always some random enemy or encounter to discover, or something like that. It's one thing Skyrim does very, very well.

Witcher 2 has lotsofstuffclosetogether and then a few random things that are really far away from that.

I really wanted to play the 2nd one but couldn't get it to run over 20fps on any settings. I feel like these games are just going to pass me by.

Sentenza

In totally unrelated news, I finally saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Your name was a helpful reminder to do so.
Your life is SO much better now.

But let's go back to the topic:

GameInformer: "ask us what do you want to know about TW3"

User:
"by Eldelsa
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Can I play as an Orc? Will we be able to ride dragons?"

That's almost embarrassing.

While I generally enjoy walking around the world, The Witcher 2's world design was often so bad that I ached for fast travel. There was no point walking all the way out to the far end of a cave only to have to walk all the way back with literally nothing to do because you went through it all and killed everyone and looted everything.

Fuck.....really? No fast travel? I haven't put too much time into Witcher 2, but I plan to soon, and that's one of the things I figured they would've added, since Witcher 1 lacked it (mostly). Ugh.......well hopefully I'll enjoy it more than the first game. That is so fucking disappointing.

Top Bottom