• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this last night with my GF. Amazing film. I can't help but look at horror movies through the Cabin in the Woods lens now. Shiiiiiiit. #gamechanger

See, I don't look at it like that. It was a good movie, for sure. A great movie. But it's not like it ruins the horror genre for me.

Saw it Monday morning, have been flipping out about getting everyone I know to see it since then. Huge group of friends and coworkers seeing it in the morning. So pumped.

The ONLY thing I hate about this movie is,
because it's a message movie, they can't make a lot of them showing all kinds of different scenarios. The CONCEPT is just SO GOOD, I would LOVE to see other horror movies and creatures tackled the same way, [behind-the-scenes style] or show the other countries' versions, but that would go against the entire theme so I'll never get my wish :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Downstairs" was the Ancient Ones. "Upstairs" usually referred to the cabin, but in this one instance, didn't (perhaps I'm misremembering it being referred to as a "call from upstairs," but I don't think so). The conversation on the red phone couldn't have been with Marty. I think the exact quote from Bradley Whitford is "No, we followed the protocol exactly." They had pulled the lever on the Fool's death prematurely. The person on the other end was someone very important; it could have been the Director (Sigourney Weaver), though I assumed it was someone even more powerful. My first thought was, God.

Anyway, it's just a slight point. I'll assume it was a call from the Director. Perhaps I'll even go see the film again.

My first thought was
god
, with it being a big red phone (hotline) and everyone stopping because clearly the big red phone doesn't usually go off. And the whole
upstairs thing literally meaning heaven/god in lots of references

then I figured it was just a neat meta-reference and it couldn't literally mean that, so probably just meant
sigourney weaver/senior management

as to the gore, I don't think it was gory at all. There is some blood, but most things happen off-screen so there is not much graphic. A few jumps and splats here and there is not really gory IMO. Even the
elevator scenes are more slapstick than anything. Nothing visibly gross, just buckets of blood being thrown around they become
comic rather than disgusting.

Took four people to see it with me this morning, including one girl who's a big horror movie fan. The whole time she was going, "What the fuck? What is going on?" and when the big reveal happened she was like "This. This is a great movie."

They all loved it. Said it was totally not what they expected and it was really refreshingly different.

I got the visual companion yesterday and spent a lot of time pouring over it, there is a LOT of really good information in there. Plus having the screenplay with all the lines right there really helps clarify some of the "plot holes" people keep "finding". (Aka, things that were blatantly stated in the movie that they must have somehow just missed).

Also, they go much more into the idea of a sequel than just "we could do one" during the interview that opens the first 20-something pages of the book. There's a good paragraph or two dedicated to how they'd go about it. Plus, in the afterward, Joss reveals
that Randy(?) the Intern is the only one that survives the apocalypse and he now controls all the gods.

I wana see this again, because my first theater experience wasn't that great. But I'm having a hard time convincing my friends to go see it without spoiling it, because they think it's a cheesy horror film and they don't want to waste money on that.

Haha. And I sound dumb going, "No, it's really awesome!"

3phemeral

I wana see this again, because my first theater experience wasn't that great. But I'm having a hard time convincing my friends to go see it without spoiling it, because they think it's a cheesy horror film and they don't want to waste money on that.

Haha. And I sound dumb going, "No, it's really awesome!"
If I really wanted to see it again, I'd just go by myself. There's a theater nearby here that's super new, so when I went there were like, 8 people total in the theater at 7PM. If it were that barren, I think it'd be perfect to appreciate without having friends intervene, though I do understand friends can also be fun. Depends on what your goal is: appreciate the detail you might have missed out the first time or have a good time with appreciative friends?

I got the visual companion yesterday and spent a lot of time pouring over it, there is a LOT of really good information in there. Plus having the screenplay with all the lines right there really helps clarify some of the "plot holes" people keep "finding". (Aka, things that were blatantly stated in the movie that they must have somehow just missed).

Also, they go much more into the idea of a sequel than just "we could do one" during the interview that opens the first 20-something pages of the book. There's a good paragraph or two dedicated to how they'd go about it. Plus, in the afterward, Joss reveals
that Randy(?) the Intern is the only one that survives the apocalypse and he now controls all the gods.

What's a visual companion and where can I get one?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So... My friends kept telling me how awesome this movie was.
I kept saying, "I'm sure it is, but I really don't like horror movies and I hate ironic winking ones."
They kept telling me, "No! It's not like that, it's really good!"
and I would say, I'm 27 I know what kind of movies I like. I really don't think I'll like it.

The hype won out. I took my wife to see it (she loves goofy horror movies, winking and all that jazz) thinking it must be pretty badass for people to be recommending to ME of all people.

Sure enough... it was exactly what I imagined. I didn't hate the movie, and it was probably the best movie like this I've seen (it's in the realm of Dead Alive for me as a horror comedy I can appreciate) but it wasn't for me. Wife loved it.

I dug some of the jokes, I called the reveal pretty much immediately (
I've spent a LOT of time trying to imagine how you'd do a cool Cthulu movie recently
) and didn't regret seeing it.
I thought some of the teens weren't able to deliver the jokes very well (though objectively there were a lot of good ones) and that the trailers showed way too much. I thought it was a pretty ugly movie (the camerawork felt/looked like TV to me) and the
monster fest
was pretty much lost on me. I got pretty antsy as it ended.

Not a boring movie or a bad movie, but fuck if all my friends didn't let me down. I went in pretty excited to see it, but I left happy to have taken my wife to a good movie.

Orcastar

Saw this on Friday. Amazing film all around. Gave me some pretty strong Buffy vibes, in a good way; I could easily see the whole story happening in the Buffyverse.

Can't wait for the blu-ray.

I see comments that this was a message movie. What was the message? Just seemed to me like a really original concept for a horror movie that was well executed. A unique amount of plot and background for a horror movie. But that's all I got out of it.

big ander

I see comments that this was a message movie. What was the message? Just seemed to me like a really original concept for a horror movie that was well executed. A unique amount of plot and background for a horror movie. But that's all I got out of it.

well there are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of posts in this very thread about the message that are very easy to find, but to boil it down:
it's about the stagnation of the horror genre.

well there are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of posts in this very thread about the message that are very easy to find, but to boil it down:
it's about the stagnation of the horror genre.

oh wow. really now? I'll have to read back, then.

that's really interesting. yea, I see the satire now.

edit: Gods as the audience members. Holy shit...

artist

Banned
Saw this yesterday and loved it. Read this thread and man some of the Whedon fans are crazy.

I'm now on Whedon train (hyped for Avengers too).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This movie was definitely fun and interesting, a good ride through and through. I don't think it was particularly clever necessarily but it does have some fun references and throwbacks.

Great dialogue and good plot and great execution.

Also the main chick was hot.

artist

Banned
This movie should be getting a lot more GAF-love. GAF loves horror movies and movies with layers/interpretations, this one is definitely both.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought GAF really loved movies about filmmaking, which is more generally what this film was about than anything else. Absolutely want to see it again.

Pollux

So someone just spoiled the movie for me. I couldn't believe he was tellin the truth. Then I skimmed this thread.

I wish I hadn't know because it sounds amazing. I'll go see it later this week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So someone just spoiled the movie for me. I couldn't believe he was tellin the truth. Then I skimmed this thread.

That is SO FUCKED UP.

I knew it was... about a cabin in the woods.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That is SO FUCKED UP.

I knew it was... about a cabin in the woods.

You mean you knew it was about... "A CABIN IN THE WOODS!!!!"

The title presentation shocked everyone and had us rolling at the same time

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah, my friend and I looked at each other and burst out laughing at the exact same moment.

Bradley Whitford really killed it, by the way. He was seriously in his element in this role. "Aw come on!!!"

Mr_Zombie

Saw the movie today. As a horror movie, it was meh - your ordinary "stupid teenagers getting killed by monsters one by one" type of horror (
yeah, I get the message; it's just that after hearing it's "the best horror movie in ages" I really was expecting a decent horror movie
). However, as a horror-comedy it was awesome. The movie shines every time it breaks conventions or plays with them. I don't remember laughing that much during a movie in recent months. :lol

Coming to the movie I didn't know exactly what kind of movie this is, so when the title appeared in that style I was like "really? they want to scare me with such shitty methods? c'mon! :/". Later, when I finally found out what the movie tries to achieve, I felt really stupid for thinking about the title that way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saw the movie today. As a horror movie, it was meh - your ordinary "stupid teenagers getting killed by monsters one by one" type of horror (
yeah, I get the message; it's just that after hearing it's "the best horror movie in ages" I really was expecting a decent horror movie
). However, as a horror-comedy it was awesome. The movie shines every time it breaks conventions or plays with them. I don't remember laughing that much during a movie in recent months. :lol
True, the laughs come from a really genuine place.

Coming to the movie I didn't know exactly what kind of movie this is, so when the title appeared in that style I was like "really? they want to scare me with such shitty methods? c'mon! :/". Later, when I finally found out what the movie tries to achieve, I felt really stupid for thinking about the title that way.
Haha yeah, that cracked me up when it happened in a "wtf, seriously?" sense, then looking back on it, mindblown.

edit: This section of the Final Girl page is so awesome:

The phenomenon of the male audience having to identify with a young female character in an ostensibly male-oriented genre, usually associated with sadistic voyeurism, raises interesting questions about the nature of slasher films and their relationship with feminism. Clover argues that for a film to be successful, although the Final Girl is masculinized, it is necessary for this surviving character to be female, because she must experience abject terror, and many viewers would reject a film that showed abject terror on the part of a male. The terror has a purpose, in that the female is 'purged' if she survives, of undesirable characteristics, such as relentless pursuit of pleasure in her own right. An interesting feature of the genre is the 'punishment' of beauty and sexual availability, sometimes expressed as "Sex = Death".

TheContact

Saw it today. Never watched a trailer, only saw the poster and that's as much as I knew about the movie.

So, basically the movie was saying that
every horror movie ever created was actually true and recorded with cameras, and that they fit the same cliches because that's how the old gods wanted them? and some old ancient people somehow came up with a deal with the old gods that if they sacrifice specific people in a certain order then they'll leave the world alone?

And the Japan part with the girls winning? Is that some kind of commentary on how Japanese horror does it right? Because in interviews, the creators really praised Japanese horror movies.

Also, what happens to the two at the end? I'm guessing the apocalypse came and killed everyone?

This was easily one of my favorite movies. I need to watch it again. I cannot wait for the blu-ray release.

3phemeral

Saw it today. Never watched a trailer, only saw the poster and that's as much as I knew about the movie.

every horror movie ever created was actually true and recorded with cameras, and that they fit the same cliches because that's how the old gods wanted them? and some old ancient people somehow came up with a deal with the old gods that if they sacrifice specific people in a certain order then they'll leave the world alone?

I really don't think this is the case, nor do I think it was presented as such.
The idea that horror movies are true and the teenagers involved in the actual sacrifices wasn't the implication when they were referencing the "audience" (those were the gods, who are the metaphor of us).

Lin explained it when she made the distinction between nightmares and the creature's origins in that they weren't the product of our nightmares, but that our nightmares originate from these creatures having once really roamed the Earth to hunt us. With that in mind, horror movies in their universe are probably equally as fictional (what would be the point of keeping this cabin and its intentions secret if they were going to publicize the death of civilians anyway?), but inspired by what used to be real (now considered myth due to their present-day confinement in an underground government facility).

So these kids are murdered/missing and get filed alongside every other missing person/unsolved tragedy report...had things not gone wrong, that is.

Go watch the movie "Funny Games" and then you will fully understand the opening.

Man that sucks. I knew nothing about the movie and the final 30 minutes in particular really pushed me into "THANK GOD I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS" territory.

cozo

funnest horror since drag me to hell. best title card use since dmth too

I may be being dense but can anyone explain how
they miss that the stoner is actually still alive, when they have heart-rate etc monitors rigged up to each of the five? 'commotion'?
seems like a minor plot hole but w/e

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
funnest horror since drag me to hell. best title card use since dmth too

I may be being dense but can anyone explain how
they miss that the stoner is actually still alive, when they have heart-rate etc monitors rigged up to each of the five? 'commotion'?
seems like a minor plot hole but w/e

Either deactivated it when they flip the switch, it deactivated when he gets dragged into the grave or least likely he deactivated it when he was fiddling with the controls

Slavik81

I really loved it, but a few things had me confused.

What was with the fool
being the most clear-sighted person in the entire story? Is this the old 'only the fool can speak the truth' thing? The virgin was way more foolish than the fool. She brought the horrors upon them even as he told them to get out of the cellar. He figured out the whole thing was orchestrated. He fought off the zombies and saved them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saw it today. Never watched a trailer, only saw the poster and that's as much as I knew about the movie
Same. We are The Lucky Ones.

Well... no.
You're thinking about it too literally. The movie is just metaphor upon metaphor about making horror movies. Every horror movie ever created, especially the slasher tropes and the recent bevy of seriously shitty ones, are actually an expression of the desire of the audience to see certain things play out on screen despite how absolutely illogical and ridiculous they are the first time, let alone the 100th. The in-universe convoluted explanation of the ritual to appease the old gods is almost mocking our incessant desire to see these things no matter how many times we've seen them before.

The absolute best example of this to me was when it comes time for the sex scene and Bradley Whitford's character is like "come on, show us some boobies." And as an audience member you're just like "...fuck," because who doesn't except to see some tits at around this point in an R-rated horror movie? It's the the way it goes, it's factored into the ritual.

In the end, no matter what The Director (get it?) does, the story has to end.

And the Japan part with the girls winning? Is that some kind of commentary on how Japanese horror does it right? Because in interviews, the creators really praised Japanese horror movies.

I haven't seen those interviews, would really really like to, but the idea was not that just Japan had their rituals "failing" (the sacrifices won) but every other ritual on earth had failed this time around and the American one was the only one left. Clearly there's some metaphor interplay here but I'm not rock-solid on it, my thinking is that
they mean to say that over time, American slasher movie tropes are what took over and became the norm even though they're so predictable compared to the offerings from other countries.

Also, what happens to the two at the end? I'm guessing the apocalypse came and killed everyone?
At the end
the movie ends, because it always has to ;). But in-universe, apparently what happens is that Randy the intern, the one who split the winning bet, is the only human who survives and gets to rule in the resulting apocalypse.

This was easily one of my favorite movies. I need to watch it again. I cannot wait for the blu-ray release.
Same. It really worked for me.
Man that sucks. I knew nothing about the movie and the final 30 minutes in particular really pushed me into "THANK GOD I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS" territory.
Yup. Cannot say how thankful I am that I wasn't spoiled on anything.
I really loved it, but a few things had me confused.

What was with the fool
being the most clear-sighted person in the entire story? Is this the old 'only the fool can speak the truth' thing? The virgin was way more foolish than the fool. She brought the horrors upon them even as he told them to get out of the cellar. He figured out the whole thing was orchestrated. He fought off the zombies and saved them.
In-universe:
the agency attempted to sabotage his weed (either to render it inert or have it make him more susceptible, I can't remember what he said), but he specifically brought a stash of hidden good stuff he had just for this trip which they didn't get to lace. His altered state as a result of being constantly high the whole time meant that their drugs and pheremones, etc. didn't function properly on him which is why he was able to see the most clearly of anyone there. All the manipulation by the agency was intended to make each of them act more like their stated archetypes. The "scholar" actually figures this out too (he has a line about how "the athlete" is actually a sociology major on full scholarship) but is too distracted to do anything about it while "the fool" is so paranoid that he's able to figure everything out even before finding the hidden camera.

Metaphorically:
you're quite right. It's a play on the "wise fool" trope and basically the fact that the character no one in the movie takes seriously is who the audience should trust.

Isn't the whore that usually dies first, though?
I can't think of many examples of the stoner dying first, am I just drawing a blank? The whore as the simplest and most direct transgressor, or her lover, is quite typically the first to die. But these scenes can all be shifted around, really all that matters is that the final girl is the final girl :p Her death is "optional as long as it's last."

Mr_Zombie

Same. We are The Lucky Ones.

Same here. I came to the movie expecting "best horror film in years" (I only saw a single trailer, a poster and the title of this thread :lol). While the "horror" aspect of it left me disappointed, I still ended up loving the movie for everything else.

my thinking is that
they mean to say that over time, American slasher movie tropes are what took over and became the norm even though they're so predictable compared to the offerings from other countries.

I think it just meant to indicate that all stereotypes are failing. What we saw in the Japanese test was another possessed young girl with long black hairs covering her face, like in many other Japanese horror movies.

The "scholar" actually figures this out too (he has a line about how "the athlete" is actually a sociology major on full scholarship) but is too distracted to do anything about it while "the fool" is so paranoid that he's able to figure everything out even before finding the hidden camera.

Actually, IIRC Marty said that Curt is acting like an "alpha male" even though he's a sociology major.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it just meant to indicate that all stereotypes are failing. What we saw in the Japanese test was another possessed young girl with long black hairs covering her face, like in many other Japanese horror movies.
Very, very good point. That shit must be predictable as hell for them by now.

Actually, IIRC Marty said that Curt is acting like an "alpha male" even though he's a sociology major.
Yeah sorry that's exactly what I was referencing, I must have phrased it poorly.
"The scholar" (Holden) mentioned that "The Athlete" (Curt) was acting all alpha-male despite the fact that it was way out of character for him. Tragically he was distracted by the prospect of getting some sweet virgin (well, we do the best we can with what we've got) goodies to do anything about it.
<- Nah I'm wrong, this was Marty saying that stuff.

Mr_Zombie

"The scholar" (Marty) mentioned that "The Athlete" (Curt) was acting all alpha-male despite the fact that it was way out of character for him. Tragically he was distracted by the prospect of getting some sweet virgin (well, we do the best we can with what we've got) goodies to do anything about it.

Marty was
"the fool" one ;) Hensen, "the scholar", was just sitting on the couch during that whole scene.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Marty was
"the fool" one ;) Hensen, "the scholar", was just sitting on the couch during that whole scene.
D'oh- fixed my post, but I'm pretty sure you're remembering the scene wrong, although I may be. I think it was Holden that said that to Dana on the couch, not Marty.

edit: Nope, I guess you're right, it was Marty. Nobody but the fool had any idea what was going on :lol

edit again: the relevant. Goddamn this movie is well-written.
Marty: Do you seriously believe nothing weird is going on?
Dana: What do you mean?

Marty: The way everybody is acting. Why is Jules suddenly a celebutante? And since when does Curt pull this alpha male bullshit? I mean, he's a sociology major, he's on full academic scholarship and now he's calling his friend an egghead?
Dana: Curt's just drunk.
Marty: I've seen Curt drunk, Jules too.
Dana: Well, then maybe it's something else.
Marty: You're not seeing what you don't wanna see. Puppeteers.
Dana: Puppeteers?
Marty: Pop-Tarts. Did you say you have Pop-Tarts?
Dana: Marty, I love you, you're really high.
[Dana turns and walks off and Marty whispers to himself]
Marty: We are not who we are.
[he pauses for a moment]
Marty: I'm gonna go read a book with pictures.

I finally saw this last night. I was expecting a truly scary movie or something from all the hype. Well I can't even call this a horror film. This is a comedy. In that sense, it's a fun great movie to watch. But it is absolutely not scary in any way. It's just a fun movie like Evil Dead or Shaun of the Dead. There's also some shitty dialogue/ bad acting in some parts IMO, though that could be on purpose.

The premise was definitely cool. I think I have to watch it again to truly appreciate it, on my first viewing I thought it was merely a fun cool movie.

Mitama

So what was the big reveal? Watched this a couple hours ago and didn't see the trailer so didn't know what to expect. Nothing really surprised me though, so now I'm wondering what the big plot twist was supposed to be. I remember reading this thread when it was just started and someone saying something along the lines of "yeah, I never saw it coming but if you pay attention to the small details you should be able to figure it out".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom