• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

TheOddOne

1a1u12.png

reviewsnijvx.png

naam353loosmjuhi.png

- A|V Club Review: American Gods tells a timely story about immigration, war, and dangerous con men.
Fuller and Green, who also wrote the four episodes available for review, take us on a mostly smooth ride in the first half of American Gods. Even where there’s table setting, it’s done with panache, as in the checkers match from the book that also plays out as a fanciful riff on The Seventh Seal (it doesn’t hurt that Stormare is Swedish). They’ve blended their sensibilities, weaving a rich tapestry of whimsy, epic action, and deft characterization. Practically speaking, it will definitely tide you over until that other fantasy drama returns. But thematically, it could knock someone off their throne.
- Variety: TV Review: ‘American Gods’ on Starz.
Still, “American Gods” is less concerned with saying something, at least in its first four episodes, than it is with conveying a mood and a landscape. It’s not necessarily bad, but you have to want to see the world rendered in this way —
to see a down-on-his-luck leprechaun hitchhiking through Indiana, or a djinn driving a cab in midtown Manhattan
— to stay engaged with the series. The fourth episode finally gets around to explaining things that happened in the very first, which is a long time to wait for many viewers.

But if you’re invested in this world, or want to be, “American Gods” is kind of astonishing. Fuller takes more risks than nearly anyone else on television, and at the very least, “American Gods” is different, using the violence and sex of premium cable towards exploring the mysterious underpinnings of faith. That alone sets it curiously apart.
- TVLine: American Gods Review: Strong Cast, High Style Make Drama a Divine Delight.
Like any journey of belief, American Gods is not without its rough patches. The biggest stumble in the four episodes Starz made available to the press is that the hours at the beginning of Shadow and Wednesday’s trip — especially an interlude in Chicago — drag in spots. It takes until Episode 3 for everything to gel fully, and that wait may feel interminable to those who haven’t read the book and can’t anticipate what’s ahead.

Viewers who are familiar with the work, however, will be happy to know that the novel’s interstitial segments — which offer snapshots of gods at work in the lives of ordinary people — not only have survived the adaptation but provide some of the richest moments in the first part of the season.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mad hyped for this
Had no idea they were doing jesus too

Can't wait, got the book for my 15th birthday a long time ago, and it has always had a special place in my heart for being the first English book I ever read.
Still really curious how they are handling that famous scene.

Wow I'm happy the reviews are positive. I wasn't sure what to expect. This was one of my favorite fiction books for years and so I was nervous about the adaptation.

Gaiman was on Recode media podcast yesterday with Peter Kafka and it was a good interview about the history of making a visual story of this.

hydruxo

I am beyond ready. My favorite book since I first read it when it came out in 2001, it's still surreal that the show is almost here.

torontoml

So this is on Canada's Amazon prime video for any Canadians. Only heard about the show a couple weeks ago then noticed it on Amazon a few days ago. Kinda excited for it.

Kevin

Really hyped for this due to Bryan Fuller and a great cast. I am not familiar with the source material but everything seems to indicate that this show is going to be awesome.

Chris R

Fuller said he felt the book could support about 3 or 4 seasons

Ehhhhhhh I don't know about that.

It's been awhile since I read the book though. Thought it was going to be a two season tops kinda show. Might just not watch it at all after the opening episode and wait for the series to finish like I did with Westworld.

It's been awhile since I read the book though. Thought it was going to be a two season tops kinda show. Might just not watch it at all after the opening episode and wait for the series to finish like I did with Westworld.
Season 1 only covers the first third of the book, according to interviews

hydruxo

Season 1 is only a small portion of the book. They're expanding the characters significantly. Bilquis and Mad Sweeney in particular have much more to do in the show than they did in the book.

C-Drive

So they cast Jesus?

Wasn't that scene cut from the book, that Gaiman included in the 10th Anniversary Edition, just in the appendix and not the actual text?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They aren't going to stretch this out over more than 2 seasons are they?

From what I remember them saying, there is going to be a fair amount of expansion of the material. I can see how it could work given how Fuller approached Hannibal's lore. Things were just small mentions in Harris' books became the bedrock for entire arcs there. And they didn't even have the benefit of working in hand with Harris on that. Neil Gaiman has been fully onboard with this to the point that he is making sure the show doesn't swerve off in the wrong direction so they can use material from American Gods 2, at some point.

I don't have Starz, but I will watch it via dubious means.

Subscribing to Starz

So they cast Jesus?

Wasn't that scene cut from the book, that Gaiman included in the 10th Anniversary Edition, just in the appendix and not the actual text?

Does it really matter? I really hope no one expects the show to be exactly like the book.

Chris R

OK sounds like I'll watch Episode 1 and then wait for the show to finish to catch the rest of it.

Bummer, but hope it turns out great.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I am glad Orlando Jones is still getting that work.

Besides the first initial trailer I've stayed relatively clean of anything regarding this show. I've been re-reading the book though.

I have full faith in Fuller to do justice and more for this story. He put television on a new plateau after Hannibal that most still struggle to achieve. I'm sure he's got tricks up his sleeve for this.

Khansolo1

So I'm curious is there gonna be any nudity or sex scenes In this?
I'm asking because if there isn't any I will probably watch it on my TV With family.
But if there is I will probably watch it on my iPad

Edit: anyone? Lol

Magwik

Banned
So I'm curious is there gonna be any nudity or sex scenes In this?
I'm asking because if there isn't any I will probably watch it on my TV With family.
But if there is I will probably watch it on my iPad

Edit: anyone? Lol

Short answer: yes
Long answer: I have no idea how close to the source material they will be with certain scenes.

Top Bottom