• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #282 - Dark Souls III

Features
Dark Souls III
Virtual Realities (VR) Sam Watts, Elliot Myers, Jon Reidy, Jon Hibbins
Interaction Figures (RFID toys)
The Making of Alpha Waves
Studio Profile: Axis Animation
Time Extend: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Reviewed
Batman: Arkham Knight [8] post script with Sefton Hill, game director
Splatoon [9] + post script
Heroes of the Storm [8]
Yoshi's Woolly World [6]
Destiny: House of Wolves [8]
Magicka 2 [7]
Nom Nom Galaxy [6]
Massive Chalice [7]

Previewed
The Last Guardian
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Star Wars: Battlefront
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Street Fighter V
Just Cause 3
Yooka-Laylee

#283 on sale July 30, teaser is Windows.
subscription info

My scanner doesn't appear to like glossy covers. The text is actually a bright orange. Not sure if my scanner just sucks or if it's the coating.

mclem

What's the Splatoon post script? Is that just a footnote with "And since then, they added such and such, but splatfests didn't quite go according to plan at first"? Or is there more to it than that?

Neff

Ouch at that Yoshi review.

Normally I wouldn't read too much into an Edge review, but they were one of the earliest champions of Yoshi's Island, even when its announcement was flat-out ignored in the press and most magazines including themselves were in a rush to downplay 2D games at the behest of 3D. And Woolly World is almost as good as YI, even if it lacks its novelty.

Fair enough, it was 20 years ago, but still.

Forkball

Yoshi destroyed.

I'm looking forward to see how Dark Souls III plays out. There were a lot of great additions to DSII, but I still feel there is room for improvement, and I want to see how the series can expand on current gen hardware.

Normally I wouldn't read too much into an Edge review, but they were one of the earliest champions of Yoshi's Island, even when its announcement was flat-out ignored in the press and most magazines including themselves were in a rush to downplay 2D games at the behest of 3D. And Woolly World is almost as good as YI, even if it lacks its novelty.

Fair enough, it was 20 years ago, but still.
XIgQult.jpg

weekev

Banned
Dont read too much into the 6 for Yoshi. The game is solid, super cute and some really good typical Nintendo level design. Basically if you like 2d Nintendo platformers you'll love it.

If you dont love them this is not the game that will convert you.

Splatoon 9, well deserved, phenomenal game.

"Dark Souls III - the story behind Miyazaki's magnificent return"

Why does that make it sound like he's been gone somewhere?

Ouch at that Yoshi review.

Don't forget though that Edge use the full review scale, so a 6 from them is equivalent to at least a 7 from most other publications.

eXistor

The fuck? Yoshi is not a 6 game imo, Kirby? Sure, but not Yoshi. The level-design never ceases to delight, it constantly introduces new elements. It may be a bit derivative in most areas, but it's a damn soluid platforming game. It's easily the best Yoshi game since the original Yoshi's Island.

Miyazaki was unhappy with the E3 leaks of Dark Souls III and it has made him less talkative. Project has not been his from the start, Dark Souls III began two years ago while he was working on Bloodborne. Miyazaki emphasises there is no strict team structure at From. He says it feels like a new team as people move about and are hired. Okano is handling day to day production while Miyazaki is handling world design and mechanics. He is working with Tanimura on level design. Miyazaki says "the world design is similar to Dark Souls or Bloodborne."

Miyazaki says having viewed fantasy from a different perspective in Bloodborne has given him a new appreciation for the setting and it may be what makes Dark Souls III unique.

Player feels agile, especially the back step. New attack mode called Ready Stance allows you to do new attacks, like a dual wielded spin that has a wind up animation. The demo could be from any part of the game but enemies approach alone or in small groups, from unexpected angles instead of large mobs.

Guy strikes me as incredibly modest and Nathan notes that he sometimes seems puzzled by his success. "I think players demand simple, interesting and worthy games. If the games I've directed or designed have met those demands, I've been very lucky... I want to make as many games as I can while my luck's in"
"Return to directing the Souls series" is what it means I'm sure.
That is absolutely clear through out the article. He says something along the lines of wanting to make a sequel that reinforces or changes the things fans like, but never remove them.

Ce-Lin

wow the hype train ! I'm getting incredibly excited for Dark Souls III, I'm replaying Demon's Souls for the 7th time since yesterday.

Because the subtle differences to outsiders are quite substantial to many fans. Plus "Souls director makes another Souls game" doesn't really strike me as a headline that will sell magazines.

takriel

Miyazaki was unhappy with the E3 leaks of Dark Souls III and it has made him less talkative. Project has not been his from the start, Dark Souls III began two years ago while he was working on Bloodborne. Miyazaki emphasises there is no strict team structure at From. He says it feels like a new team as people move about and are hired. Okano is handling day to day production while Miyazaki is handling world design and mechanics. He is working with Tanimura on level design. Miyazaki says "the world design is similar to Dark Souls or Bloodborne."

Miyazaki says having viewed fantasy from a different perspective in Bloodborne has given him a new appreciation for the setting and it may be what makes Dark Souls III unique.

Player feels agile, especially the back step. New attack mode called Ready Stance allows you to do new attacks, like a dual wielded spin that has a wind up animation. The demo could be from any part of the game but enemies approach alone or in small groups, from unexpected angles instead of large mobs.

Guy strikes me as incredibly modest and Nathan notes that he sometimes seems puzzled by his success. "I think players demand simple, interesting and worthy games. If the games I've directed or designed have met those demands, I've been very lucky... I want to make as many games as I can while my luck's in"

That is absolutely clear through out the article. He says something along the lines of wanting to make a sequel that reinforces or changes the things fans like, but never remove them.
Wow thanks! It's actually out yet?

Thanks for the info :)

Gbraga

Thank you for the info!

I understand why he would be unhappy with the leaks, but honestly, they were very much necessary to make people excited. I know I wouldn't be nearly as excited as I am if all we had was the CGI trailer and people talking about a closed doors demo. That sun leaking screenshot made me more excited than anything else.

Miyazaki like the Lil B of the video game game. Won't be long before he's putting out 2, 3 a year.

9/10 for Splatoon seems about right, an instant classic with room for improvement. 9/10 for Yoshi's Island is...if Yoshi's Island isn't a 10 I don't know what is.

I'm kind of concerned about Dark Souls 3, but I'll still be there Day 1.
DS2 was kinda meh in comparison, but it's still a game I'd love to play over and over again.

reKon

Banned
Even though a lot of people here don't care about Destiny, that 8 score is a definitely a very positive sign. Still won't want to pay $60 for that. I think I'm better off waiting for the Borderlands Handsome collection to drop to $30 and getting friends to buy that with me.

Top Bottom