• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza in the works, series general director confirms

Sweet!

Still think they should take my idea of doing historical recreation in Meiji era

Kenzan and Ishin followed different time periods of the warring states era.

They should flash forward to the imperial times where only officers were allowed to carry swords

Honestly all I can see there is that they should really make a Raidou Kuzunoha game.
It'll never happen :(

I hope if they do go for another historic spin off that we actually get this one, hopefully now we will after the all the traction the series has now in the west.

The Japanese AssCreed...
Thanks SEGA for ruining another great IP.

(I guess newcomers will rejoice, though...)

All Yakuza games except Dead Souls have been great. In fact Yakuza 5 is the pinnacle of the series and unlike Assassins Creed, all canon Yakuza games have a decent amount of development time between them. The series is not annualized.

Jimrpg

Just reading between the lines and Nagoshi saying the early development of the next title sounds like it won't be Yakuza 2 Kiwami but Yakuza 7 without kiryu. Unless Kiwami 2 comes out in the old engine... I could be wrong. Yakuza 2 Kiwami wouldn't take as long as the next mainline entry.

Peroroncino

tenor.gif

Scotia

Banned
Reading the quote makes me think it'll be a new protagonist set after Yakuza 6.

I'd really like a Yakuza 2 remake though.

BadWolf

All Yakuza games except Dead Souls have been great. In fact Yakuza 5 is the pinnacle of the series and unlike Assassins Creed, all canon Yakuza games have a decent amount of development time between them. The series is not annualized.

Err... no it's not.

5 is one of the weakest in the series.

Part of me wants kiwami 2, another part wants a spinoff game and of course a mainline yakuza game without kiriyu. Good to at least hear confirmation the franchise will continue.

Meiji era

Well that's a nice way the ensure that the only way anyone will play in English is with fansubs.

1. Yakuza spinoffs don't get localized. Especially not after Dead Souls. Sega is going to focus on just mainline while there's still ones left to localize.

2. And ehhhhhhh, more importantly, there's a lot of potential for controversy - Especially in, say, China and Korea. Lot of people who could see Meiji Japan in the same way people see Weimar Germany, in respect to the events that followed.

I'm kinda hoping for a new Samurai game to be honest. I loved both Ishin and Kenzan, so a new Samurai Yakuza game that comes over to west, would be amazing.

Ydelnae

The only thing keeping me from diving in the Yakuza games is the battle system. If they use the protagonist change in order to shake up the gameplay a little bit, I would appreciate it.

Exactly what I told earlier in this thread.

I don't quite understand how they can continue the series without Kiryu. He is "Yakuza"..I mean he is like Snake. You can't have Metal Gear Solid without Snake..in the same way you can't have a Yakuza game without Kiryu.

I know his story has ended with Yakuza 6, but they can go even before Yakuza 0. Show how he became a Yakuza. There is so much scope but without Kiryu, I really dont know I will be able to invest in this series.

I mean other than rebooting the series with new characters what will the next Yakuza be like? Will they make Akiyama the lead? Besides Kiryu, Majima and to an extent Akiyama, nobody has the "Yakuza" attitude.

Ok. Will be weird to have another protagonist in 7

ZeroX03

Banned
If they're making a new entry, I sure wouldn't expect it in a year. Kiwami 2 does seem look a good prospect to fill the gap.

Akiyama was obviously made to be different to Kiryu. They can create a new lead alongside Akiyama, it'd probably be good.

I don't quite understand how they can continue the series without Kiryu. He is "Yakuza"..I mean he is like Snake. You can't have Metal Gear Solid without Snake..in the same way you can't have a Yakuza game without Kiryu.

I know his story has ended with Yakuza 6, but they can go even before Yakuza 0. Show how he became a Yakuza. There is so much scope but without Kiryu, I really dont know I will be able to invest in this series.

I mean other than rebooting the series with new characters what will the next Yakuza be like? Will they make Akiyama the lead? Besides Kiryu, Majima and to an extent Akiyama, nobody has the "Yakuza" attitude.

What? Kiryu is by far the least important main character in Y4 and that game was fine. And Metal Gear sure stretched 'Snake', considering it was multiple different people throughout the series (similar to the Yakuza spinoffs) and that's not even mentioning Rising which was also fine. Now if you're personally obsessed with Kiryu and Snake that's whatever, but there's nothing about this franchise that forces it to stick with Kiryu and we saw that years ago.

But without Kiryu would I even want to play it? :,(
i don't think i will. i hope they at least keep it in the same universe.
I wonder if this potentially would be Switch exclusive since Nagoshi showed up at that Nintendo conference back in January. I'll be there say 1 either way since I always enjoyed the series.
i don't think they will make a yakuza game and skip out on a playstation release

LAM09

Exactly what I told earlier in this thread.

I would have naturally said Haruka at a point (haven't played 6), but she doesn't fit that life style. Akiyama is the only option to be a single protagonist or they might go back to the multiple route (I personally hope not).

Having said all that, I'm sure Kiryu will have a presence in the series for a while to come.

convo

Yakuza 2 in the improved dragon engine would be awesome. Y6 was them getting their feet wet in new hardware, now we can expand further on the combat.

If they're making a new entry, I sure wouldn't expect it in a year. Kiwami 2 does seem look a good prospect to fill the gap.

Akiyama was obviously made to be different to Kiryu. They can create a new lead alongside Akiyama, it'd probably be good.

What? Kiryu is by far the least important main character in Y4 and that game was fine. And Metal Gear sure stretched 'Snake', considering it was multiple different people throughout the series (similar to the Yakuza spinoffs) and that's not even mentioning Rising which was also fine. Now if you're personally obsessed with Kiryu and Snake that's whatever, but there's nothing about this franchise that forces it to stick with Kiryu and we saw that years ago.

Fair point. But even Yakuza 4 featured Kiryu. They did not scrapped him. My entire point is that Kiryu needs to be featured in every Yakuza game. There is a reason why he is featured on every box art. He is the series' central character and no one can deny that. Even in spin offs like Ishin etc...he is there.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fair point. But even Yakuza 4 featured Kiryu. They did not scrapped him. My entire point is that Kiryu needs to be featured in every Yakuza game. There is a reason why he is featured on every box art. He is the series' central character and no one can deny that. Even in spin offs like Ishin etc...he is there.

I mean no. He doesn't need to be featured. Y4 worked perfectly fine for the 80% of the time Kiryu wasn't there. Just because the game puts him front and center doesn't mean it can't work without him.

Also that's not Kiryu in Ishin lol. Is he even in the Black Panther games?

I mean no. He doesn't need to be featured. Y4 worked perfectly fine for the 80% of the time Kiryu wasn't there. Just because the game puts him front and center doesn't mean it can't work without him.

Also that's not Kiryu in Ishin lol. Is he even in the Black Panther games?

I think we both have different opinions about Kiryu's importance to the series :) Regardless, lets just hope the next game is great.

WaterAstro

They can't waste that tech they made for Yakuza 6.

It looks too good.

I wouldn't mind an Akiyama based Yakuza, but he isn't Yakuza though.

I enjoyed Yakuza 4 the most when I wasn't playing as Kiryu. Kiryu is great, I have no qualms about his character, but I'm 100% on board with a different protagonist.

OldMuffin

And I'm just sitting here waiting for something along the lines of binary domain.... or a sci fi yakuza set in neotokyo.... in other words yakuza: ghost in the shell.

15strong

It would be refreshing to have new protagonist.

The switch begging has to stop. We have a tidbit about a game that does not even exist and we need to have discussions about switch versions. This happens in every thread.

Scotia

Banned
Kiryu not being playable in a Yakuza game wouldn't be a big deal for me. I like the idea of him having more a mentor role to a new playable character. But that's just me though.

Top Bottom