• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Mw4sk.gif

gdt

Blader5489 said:
I think most people did, but he teased a lot and for a long time about maybe or maybe not doing it.

IIRC, last time he was on The Howard Stern Show (week of Super 8) he talked about how Super 8 pushed back him directing ST2 by 6 months ish.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This can't come out soon enough. Love the first film.

Medalion

Banned
4246779578_6729c920ff.jpg

The plot of the new movie is that a rogue lense flare is not shining bright enough because incidentally there are some people standing in its way

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
the more lens flare, the brighter the future, motherfuckers!

Salvor.Hardin said:
Super 8 was a mistake. He has the potential to move above the summer blockbuster material that he seems to have sworn himself to.

Oh, I wasn't talking about that gilded turd. I was talking about the his first Trek flick.

Snaku

Banned
I'm the captain!

Now you're the captain!

You're not the captain anymore! NOW I'M THE CAPTAIN!

I hope Chekov gets command in Trek 2.

Shepard said:
Wouldn't change a thing in the first one, so this is good news to me =]

Not even the woeful villain? If there's one thing I hope the sequel has is a memorable rogue. And if we're lucky, one with coherent motives as well.

Salvor.Hardin said:
Super 8 was a mistake. He has the potential to move above the summer blockbuster material that he seems to have sworn himself to.

You know, I love JJ, but I'm not convinced yet that he does have the chops to move beyond summer blockbusters. Make no mistake, as much as people over the past year have tried to liken him to Spielberg, he is no Spielberg.

Measley

Lens flare or not, Star Trek 2009 it was better than 90% of the OST and all of the TNG movies.

Can't wait for the sequel.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Measley said:
Lens flare or not, Star Trek 2009 it was better than 90% of the OST and all of the TNG movies.

Can't wait for the sequel.

I loved 2009 Trek but First Contact is still my favorite Trek Movie.

tumblr_lln3uxwN4d1qzrtqe.gif

tumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif

Scullibundo said:
You know, I love JJ, but I'm not convinced yet that he does have the chops to move beyond summer blockbusters. Make no mistake, as much as people over the past year have tried to liken him to Spielberg, he is no Spielberg.

He's nothing like Spielberg and if not for Super 8, it would be a pointless comparison to draw, not only on the basis of quality as I assume you're arguing, but also on the basis of their respective work thusfar.

I think he's a good director and needs to work with better editors. But more importantly, he needs to try new and less frantic material. He's unique in today's world of summer directors because he composes spaces in his shots that breathe. Not to say that he clutters the frame, which he really doesn't, but the worlds his movies take place in seem lived-in. They seem believable. And I think he needs to take such directorial strengths and apply them to better scripts.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Vandiger said:
More dumbed down trek for the masses, eh. Pass.

Yes, only if we could go back to the intelligent and thought provoking writing of Voyager, Enterprise, Nemesis, and Insurrection.

345ybky.gif

The last film was fantastic, and the lens flare is pretty much the most minor complaint you could make about it. Hopefully Bones takes a more prominent role in the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom