• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 appreciation thread

darkwings

Banned
Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean

917921_front.jpg

baten-kaitos-20041014042200042_640w.jpg

baten-kaitos-20041014042200417_640w.jpg

917921_20041007_790screen007.jpg

917921_20041007_790screen005.jpg

I remember buying Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean without knowing too much of it. I bought it because of the RPG draught to gamecube. And immediately I was pleasantly surprised by the game. It had lush enviroments in a fantastic fantasy world, great music, good enough story and a fun battle system. It used a system called Magnus cards, and with it you store store everything from items to weapons and stuff. Motoi Sakaruba was in great shape for this game, and delivered a memorable OST, especially with Chaotic Dance. While the music was amazing, the voice acting wasn't as good. BK became a big hit among hardcore gamers, but the title didn't sell that well. However as a jrpg to Gamecube it was a really good game.

Baten Kaitos Origins

boxart_us_baten-kaitos-origins.jpg

baten-kaitos-origins-20060801040121840_640w.jpg

baten-kaitos-origins-20060801040119684_640w.jpg

929928_20061010_790screen008.jpg

929928_20061010_790screen010.jpg

If you thought BK1 was fun, BKO is improved a lot. The lengthy and often unrewarding side quests from the first game have been reduced with more and fun side quests. You can now upgrade your Magnus, mix Magnus etc, and the battle system has gotten a overhaul. The battle system is turn-based and fast paced. You all share one deck, but you can customize several decks to your liking. Also introduced are relay combos. You can chain several attacks with your characters and make some serious damage. The weird combo system from the first one has been changed a lot as well and is working much better now. You still link combos with numbers, but the "poker" system from the first one is gone. But when you get the hang of it, I didn't miss the old one at all.

As for the audio, Motoi Sakaruba is back once again with a fantastic piece. The music in this game is great. It captures many different mood; from classical calming pieces to techno. The horrible voice acting from the first game is gone as well. Much better localization this time as Nintendo's treehouse has done it.

the story is a prequel to the first game, and If you were a fan of the first game, it's very inspiring to see the familiar islands along with new areas. Everything is now tied together, and you will even encounter many familiar faces from the first game.

Le ali del Principio music for BKO

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
You know, I never got around to playing either of these and I'd always meant to, I think No. 1 came out around the time of another RPG which I bought as I was poor.. but I think it's time to try them now.

deleted

Thats two of the few games that are still missing from my Gamecube collection. Always wanted to try these...

Kishgal

Banned
I rented BKO a few years ago and while I liked it, I got really annoyed with having to collect the field magnus to satisfy various requirements (quests, events, etc.). I recently just bought it on a whim and fully intend to give it another shot next week. Hopefully I can enjoy it more this time, because besides that, it was a pretty good game.

I got the first one and Tales of Symphonia on the same day back in my GameCube days. Probably the finest RPG experiences on that platform back in the day for me because I spent dozens of hours in these worlds. Origins never came out in Europe but I might import it one day because I still have one of those GC freeloader discs.

Oh and <3 Motoi Sakuraba's work on the Baten Kaitos OST, amazing piece of work and very underappreciated !

I prefer Baten Kaitos battle system over Origins.

It's sad to get a blue sword and use it as a equipment, and not as a special card.

EDIT: And it's not "1 & 2", it's "0 & 1". :D

eXistor

I really loved the first but couldn't get into the second at all even though peoplpe say it's the better of the two.

I'm proud to have BK: Eternal... in my nascent GC game collection, almost as proud as I am embarrassed to say that I've never given it a serious spin.

zigg

StevePharma said:
Probably the finest RPG experiences on that platform back in the day

To be fair, they were one of very few RPG experiences on that platform :lol

But, yeah, I love both of these games so very much. BK's pace is almost glacial—including in battle—but the poker-like bonus system, particularly when you have to start c-sticking the spirit numbers, kept me engrossed for the 2½ playthroughs I gave this game. I will always remember pulling off a 9-straight against the final boss.

And then BKO came along and had the guts to throw it all away and create a new fast-paced system that was even greater in its own right. The localization, too, was just fantastic.

StevePharma said:
Oh and <3 Motoi Sakuraba's work on the Baten Kaitos OST, amazing piece of work and very underappreciated !

It is! I know Sakuraba gets a bad rep sometimes, and from a number of his other bits I can see why, but these soundtracks are really great.

Sammy Samusu said:
I prefer Baten Kaitos battle system over Origins.

It's sad to get a blue sword and use it as a equipment, and not as a special card.

To each their own, I guess! I can't complain, except possibly that armor equip cards turned out so useless.

Sammy Samusu said:
EDIT: And it's not "1 & 2", it's "0 & 1". :D

Well, Origins actually was II in Japan, so... [/pedantic]

NMan said:
Some of my most favorite games ever! I really hope we get a sequel on the Wii sometime!

That would be all kinds of sweet. BTW, who is that in your avatar?

Kifimbo

Don't remember a whole lot about the stories, except the big twist from the first game, but I finished both, which is a sign they were good games. Which one had a freaking long ending ?

demonkaze

It's strange, I got BK when it first came out and loved it so I made sure I got BKO when it launched too. Even though I like it better than the original in every way I never got around to finishing it.

When Xenoblade was announced it reminded me of BKO still sitting on my shelf, loaded it up and finally finished it off and it's an even better game than i remember.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Awesome backgrounds, awesome music, awesome gameplay.

Horrible voice acting. Especially the first game.

darkwings

Banned
Kifimbo said:
Don't remember a whole lot about the stories, except the big twist from the first game, but I finished both, which is a sign they were good games. Which one had a freaking long ending ?

I belive the first one had a 85 minute long ending. But it was an awesome ending.

zigg

Bisnic said:

Thought they did rather well with the second, at least with the main characters.

There was some peculiar sound problem with the first, too; if it was left in Surround mode it would make things far worse for some people. Switching to Stereo was a big help.

Moobabe

As much as I appreciate the amazing 3d rpgs we've been seeing I would kill for one that had pre rendered backgrounds.

When BK was announced I was over the moon, it looked fantastic, and it was. But really, nothing could prepare me for what was going to come from it.... the sequel that by all rights and expectations shouldn't have happened, but by some miracle did:

I appreciate the F**K out of BKO. <3

Seriously, one of the most glorious games I've ever played.

Beautiful scenery, great story, cool characters I actually care about, the music.... omg the music. I didn't think they could top the first but they did somehow in the music department. And it was just fun to play, I actually really looked forward to having battles in it, because once I got the system down I would enjoy trying and build some super awesome combo and be like awwwwww yeah! *watches the pretty*

Yeah. Baten Kaitos: Origins. <3

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game...would I like Baten Kaitos? I got turned off when Nintendo Power described the battle system oh so many years ago, but the developers of the game has made me interested in the games again.

I remember when it was first revealed and saw the cinematic for the first game. The visuals impressed me, so I decided to buy it based solely off of that (the only time I bough a game for teh graphics). But little did I know that I would fall in love with the gameplay and story of both versions. I have to say though, I like the original more than the sequel. But nevertheless, both games are amazing and some of my favorite games of all time.
The tease about Baten Kaitos on the DS still hurts me on the inside. :(

Kyosuke

Bisnic said:
Awesome backgrounds, awesome music, awesome gameplay.

? The first game had horrible voice acting, but the voice acting in Origins was amazing. Some of the best voice acting in any game ever, in my opinion.

I didn't know a single thing about Baten Kaitos for a long while, but seeing/hearing so much praise for it makes me really want to buy it some day.

I've been going on a used GC game binge lately, so I'll probably pick this one up sooner or later.

Fritz

Conrad Link said:
When BK was announced I was over the moon, it looked fantastic, and it was. But really, nothing could prepare me for what was going to come from it.... the sequel that by all rights and expectations shouldn't have happened, but by some miracle did:

I appreciate the F**K out of BKO. <3

Seriously, one of the most glorious games I've ever played.

Beautiful scenery, great story, cool characters I actually care about, the music.... omg the music. I didn't think they could top the first but they did somehow in the music department. And it was just fun to play, I actually really looked forward to having battles in it, because once I got the system down I would enjoy trying and build some super awesome combo and be like awwwwww yeah! *watches the pretty*

Yeah. Baten Kaitos: Origins. <3

I feel the exact same way. It did so much right most jrpgs get wrong these days. No convoluted party, but three original and sympathetic characters. A good story and not such a irrelevant mess. Freaking awesome, driving music. And the single fastest and most rewarding battle system I have experienced in a jrpg EVER.

desa

Awesome games. I love the prerendered animated backgrounds. The battle system was fast paced and unique. Some of the boss battles are actually challenging and of course the amazing music by Sakuraba. I never beaten origins though YET. Got about halfway through and kind of just forgot about it. Thanks to this thread I think I'll start the game over and finish it.

wrowa

I dislike the battle system of the first, which is why I never bothered with Baten Kaitos Origins until one week ago. Wow, what a mistake it was to pass on that game for such a long time. It's so much better than the first one and the battles are incredibly great.

I hope there will be Baten Kaitos 3 someday. I know, I know, it's highly unlikely, but I can hope! :(

Two amazing games that I am proud to own. I kinda feel like an idiot that it took me 3 or 4 restarts before I actually understood how to play Origins correctly. I was filling my entire deck with all kinds of crap when all I had to do was concentrate on a few useful cards. Now battles are flowing like butter and I am having a ball.

And the VA is phenomenal in Origins. Every little conversation is a joy to listen to. The actual translations are really nice as well and I pretty much feel forced to talk to everyone. Whoever has a Wii or GC, likes RPGs, and doesn't have these should get on acquiring these 2 gems because they hold up damn well today.

john tv

I want Baten Kaitos 3 baaaaaad. :) I don't think Origins sold all that well, though...

The story was fantastic; the last couple of hours of the game still give me chills. Especially the bit where
Geldoblame returns to take charge
. So badass.

robjoh

Loved the first one, never played the second one (PAL gamer). Most confess that I never finished it, I think that half my small game collection from last gen is unfinished, however can't be much left to do (main mission). Hopefully I can get some time to finish it.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
I absolutely love this series. Especially the exploration, the way it encourages creativity with capturing the essence of items/people and either combining them or just letting them sit there and evolve into something else, and also the battle system. The artwork in both games is just incredible; I find myself some times stopping just in awe.

BK:O is my second favorite RPG of all time. Everything the first one did, BK:O did much better, and also added even more.

Music great, gameplay great...the stories kinda overstayed their welcome in both, but I found the overall world and atmosphere to be top notch amongst all RPGs I've played in my life.

Maybe it's just my gaming tastes changing, but I've yet to play any RPGs after these that have kept my interest all that much.

Oh and Giacomo battle music FTW.

Could you imagine a 2D DS Baten Kaitos? I would buy 10 copies.

Hyunkel6

I played the shit out of Baten Kaitos 1. It's the most beautiful RPG on the GC with a unique gameplay. I got to the last dungeon in Origins, before my cousin stole the game from me. That was more than 2 years ago. I'm gonna have to start a new game since I don't remember anything about the story. I might even replay the whole series, heh.

OMG Aero

I enjoyed the first one up until the point where I stopped playing. I think I stopped at a shooting part because there are some cards you can miss there and I was OCD about getting all the cards which I could never do.

The 2nd game never came out in the UK.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Much love for Milly, she's one of my favourite female RPG characters ever. Her dialogues with Guillo are hilarious!

Xelha can go die in a fire.

Ikkarus

Nibelung Valesti said:
Nintendo, release BKO as a Wii-make for us PAL gamerz please :(

Definitely. :(
I loved the orginal game to bits as well. Music was funky and the battle system was awesome albiet rather a little luck based too.

Mardak

wrowa said:
I dislike the battle system of the first, which is why I never bothered with Baten Kaitos Origins until one week ago. Wow, what a mistake it was to pass on that game for such a long time. It's so much better than the first one and the battles are incredibly great.
Makes you wonder what type of battle system a third one would have.

I personally liked the second one's battle system more, but they're different enough to enjoy both. There's a lot more remembering of what cards you had to prepare for a massive combo the next time in the first game while the second game has more planning ahead to have enough cards for a relay combo.

sphinx

the piano man
Bisnic said:

you have to get your facts straight

.- the first had horrible, awful voice acting.
.- the prequel had one of the most amazing voice acting soundtracks in the industry.

for me at least, Milliarde is the best voiced female leading character in a "modern" rpg ever.

Maybe I haven't played much in my life but I had feelings for Milliarde, something I have not developed ever before or after for any video game character.

Tabs

Is there a preferred order to playing these games? Wasn't the second a prequel? Does that mean it could or should be played first? Or does it even matter?

Top Bottom