• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch Arcade vs. NeoGAF

wilflare

decided to visit this thread. and just saw my nick in the OP.
didn't know things were so complicated.

apologies if I had caused inconveniences for anyone.
saw on twitter that he asked how long a NeoGAF activation takes.
I thought I could ask a mod or admin to speed up the activation since as the editor for TA, he could be a valuable member to the iOS community and the iOS thread here on NeoGAF.
I thought since there were precedents (speed up activation for members who could contribute), I could help by asking :X

didn't know there was such a complex manner going on in the background!

apologies once again for any trouble caused!

I thought I could ask a mod or admin to speed up the activation since as the editor for TA, he could be a valuable member to the iOS community and the iOS thread here on NeoGAF.
I thought since there were precedents (speed up activation for members who could contribute), I could help by asking :X

Well luckily his true value has been revealed. The GAF iOS community valuable members with integrity. Keep him out of it.

Roto13

ban plz

Apple even specifically met with the Republique folks to give them options for distributing the game.

That's definitely good, although I feel like the fact that Apple had to meet with them specifically demonstrates that it's problematic by default.

I also don't think gaming Kickstarters have followed the model of offering discounts for backing--that seems to be the model for physical goods on Kickstarter.

I'm a backer of five for-pay videogame Kickstarter projects, four of which explicitly promised a copy at a price tier that was lower than the intended final price, and the fifth of which is DFA, which is only pretty clearly going to sell the game at a starting price above the pledge level but hasn't been explicit about it.

Shurs

On one hand, the guy's comments are a bit much.

On the other hand, if he doesn't want to use his site to give free promotion to a Kickstarter project he is opposed to, I don't see a problem with it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
sigh, I suppose. I still don't think it's right, but yeah, I won't lose any sleep over it.
If anything they could preemptively ban him as well as TA over this, rather than speed up his activation. I mean, if whole sites can get banned because someone working on them posted rumours as fact or other bullshit why not TA in this case where they posted bullshit about Republique and its devs and Kickstarter and NeoGAF and basically everyone who disagrees with that guy? At least, if I remember correctly and a lot of this was originally in fact on the TA website rather than just this guy's twitter. Well, probably not the NeoGAF parts since those seem to be much more recent, but yeah... Or do you think he'd suddenly change his tune and have a rational conversation instead of pick a few remarks from people tired of his bs and pretend that's all everyone has against him?

On the other hand, if he doesn't want to use his site to give free promotion to a Kickstarter project he is opposed to, I don't see a problem with it.
I don't think many suggested he should be forced to do that, though of course many said the honest action would be to at least objectively inform his audience and let them decide for themselves since it's most certainly relevant to their interests. TA doesn't only host reviews of already released games, plenty of the software they post about has yet to be completed and could just as well be cancelled or end up being shit, while Republique's developers among the kickstarter stuff also had a trailer which includes gameplay footage to show for it, not just big talk. Of course, it's not like he just ignored it, instead he slandered the project and its developers as well as the venue they chose for part of their funding. It can't possibly be excused.

I mean, even his more recent posts on the TA forums which aren't his personal space had snarky remarks implying the game doesn't actually exist, like saying they'd post about other Kickstarter funded games past their fund "as long as they're actual games that exist" etc. Though they've yet to post about The Banner Saga which is already funded, and excluding any Kickstarter bias it's just a turn based strategy RPG coming to iOS and other platforms, and has media available, so is definitely worth informing their readership about. That they haven't just makes me think they're probably among the type of authors that don't even bother working any more, resting on the laurels of previous success and writing about things that bothered to come their way.

Minsc

Gold Member

Of course there's an issue with black-listing select iOS gaming news, on an iOS gaming site. Leave politics and completely unnecessary censorship out of my gaming please. The responses he's given to people over twitter/other media should be enough to get him removed imo.

I personally don't mind kickstarters, but I will not give any money until I see a demo or some actual game play at the very least. I don't see kickstarter as a charity, and I don't have money to give to people to "experiment" with. I want to know what I'm going to get and when they expect it to be released.

Shurs

Of course there's an issue with black-listing select iOS gaming news, on an iOS gaming site. Leave politics and completely unnecessary censorship out of my gaming please. The responses he's given to people over twitter/other media should be enough to get him removed imo.

I think if he wants to draw the line at shepherding people towards funding drives, that's his right. Though if he does it for this game, he should do it for all future games, too.

Hatten

The consequence is a poisoned career and a black mark that will follow you everywhere. If you mess up on the internet and don't follow through, especially when money is involved, any time your name comes up again everyone who heard about the failure will hone in on them and tear them to shreds.

Picture the gizmondo guys, you think people like them cares? they'll change their names and do it again, or dupe somebody to be the "face" of the project

Supporting only big names defeats the purpose of the platform which is helping new small devs that can't get funding anywhere else.

Anyone who backs 'nobodies' is the problem.

Not all nobodies are scammers, many are just devs that would like to jumpstart their careers instead of having to work in the salt mines for years until they get a chance.

If you could give money to Carmack before he went to apogee would you not do it because he was (more or less) a nobody back then?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Not all nobodies are scammers, many are just devs that would like to jumpstart their careers instead of having to work in the salt mines for years until they get a chance.

If you could give money to Carmack before he went to apogee would you not do it because he was (more or less) a nobody back then?
No, I wouldn't. At the point of their career where people are full of big ideas and no experience, everybody swears they're going to be the next savior of gaming. There's no way to discern a John Carmack from a Joe Nobody at that level, you're playing million-to-one odds until they produce some solid evidence they can follow through. If everybody had the divining rod to ferret the shit from the gold as easily as you let on, why aren't we all drowning in money from the Apple stock we bought 15 years ago? Everyone's a tactical genius given the benefit of hindsight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

You didn't cause any trouble. Didn't you see the disclaimer part in the op? :)

Also I don't understand why people keep using the kickstarter part of his rant to excuse him. That's not the point, he was a dick because he claimed Republique was vaporware and then mocked RP when he offered to fliy to Chigago and such.

I think he linked to the wrong post. If you scroll up a bit, they're discussing how this Hodapp guy apparently pretended to work for a children's charity to get some Wii consoles (back when they were scarce), then resold them for a profit and gloated about it on SA.

What a remarkable piece of shit.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I think he linked to the wrong post. If you scroll up a bit, they're discussing how this Hodapp guy apparently pretended to work for a children's charity to get some Wii consoles (back when they were scarce), then resold them for a profit and gloated about it on SA.

Wow if that's true then the guy really is a piece of shit.

Alex

What.

Seriously? I didn't really care about the normal back and forth drama before, but that's pretty evil if true, yikes!

Damn, that's messed up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

That is all sorts of fucked up. Never cared about the person's opinions before, but now I'll make it a special point not to.

Can someone get a screenshot of his original post? Holy shit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unbelievable, this guy is scum.

Can someone get a screenshot of his original post? Holy shit.

This is the text of it:
Ahh clearly I remember when I posted this image when the Wii was released:

wii_mania.jpg

And everyone posted saying the Wii wasn't going to be like the PS3, there was going to be no demand and no inflated prices.

What was that, over a year ago now? I still can make quick cash reselling them on Craigslist.

Here is how to get a Wii: (And don't do this in the Chicago area )

1. Get friendly with the pukes responsible for stocking the electronics department at Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us. I don't really bother with smaller retailers like EB. It's hardly worth my time to camp for fewer than two Wii's and EB will only ever get shipments of 3 or 4 it seems.

2. Camp. Yes, camp. If you want a Wii bad enough you're going to have to spend some quality time freezing your ass off on the sidewalk. What I usually do is park my car in the closest spot to the door and just sit around and watch movies on the ol' iPhone until someone else either shows up or it gets close to opening time then I'll go line up. Use the intelligence gathered during step 1 to determine when to camp.

3. Profit, literally. I cannot believe how strong the Wii STILL is selling. It's only going to get crazier as Christmas approaches.

An alternative to camping is get friendly enough with the people working at the store so that they'll just hold them for you. Last Christmas I had a dude at Toys R Us convinced I was buying Wii's for children in hospitals for Christmas and he would hold two or three out of every shipment for me.

How touching.

If you live in a metropolitan area you seriously cannot expect to walk in to a store and grab one unless you're VERY lucky. Wii's wouldn't sell the same day on Craigslist for $400+ if you could.

Edit: Also, Amazon is seemingly randomly restocking their Wii's and has a 3 Wii limit per Amazon username, which is easy to get around.
Post is from circa black friday '07.

Guy's a PoS and all, but saying he "steals from children's charity" is kind of embellishing, don't you think?

Fooling the guy in a store to hold some back because you say that you work for charity is still as lame as ever, especially if you sell them on for a quick buck.

And I used to love listening to the touch arcade show... :(

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The definition of "class act".

I even dig the "pukes responsible for stocking" bit. What an egotistical narcissistic asshole. No wonder why he keeps doubling down.

Last Christmas I had a dude at Toys R Us convinced I was buying Wii's for children in hospitals for Christmas and he would hold two or three out of every shipment for me.

How touching.

Holy shit. The guy is a fucking scumbag.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn... This is worse than I ever expected.

Hey dudes who work over at Touch Arcade: how do you feel about associating with this fucker?

Top Bottom