• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably fake rumour: Alien Noire website countdown for Prey 2

I hope it hasn't changed too dramatically since when I seen it at Bethesda's pre-E3 event in Utah a few years ago. Looked bloody awesome so it did.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
predator2-sef-destruct.jpg

wotta

Seems since this is coming after Sony's announcement that it may be next gen.

Could there be a tie in with Sony? The new console is apparently much more developer friendly and we know that Bethedsa studios have struggled with PS3 more than most.

Maybe there is a tie in with Sony's new machine to get PS fans to trust Bethedsa once more. Or maybe it's just being announced for all next gen machines.

I can't wait either way.

Manager

That whois says Tahlequah Oklahoma, Wiki = "It was founded as a capital of the original Cherokee Nation in 1838 to welcome those Cherokee forced west on the Trail of Tears.". Tommy, Cherokee, in Prey 1 lived in Oklahoma as well.

edit
Actually Tommy was from Tahlequah:
Story
When looking at an FPS running on the Doom 3 engine you half expect the main character to be some lunk-head Marine sent on a mission to kill everything that moves. Prey transcends some of the FPS stereotypes by giving us a reluctant lead character that at first is only concerned with saving himself and his girlfriend. The game stars a young Cherokee man named Tommy who resides on a reservation in Tahlequah Oklahoma. Tommy doesn't care much about his Native American Heritage and the only thing keeping him on the reservation is his girlfriend. http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/06/prey

Wasn't Tommy supposed to be out from Prey 2?

edit
Apparently he was said to be in it.

Manager

It starts off concurrently with Prey IIRC. Killian's on the plane you see getting harvested early on in the game.

Ah, now I remember the old unveil:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424852

- Tommy/Intro spoiler:First level is basically the beginning of Prey, but instead of controlling Tommy you control Killian.
- Human head: "If the first Prey was the Luke Sywalker version of the story, Prey 2 is Bobba Fett's story".
- The project has been restarted several times
- Been in development for 3 years

And that was two years ago. Wonder how much of that is true today. And I wonder if they added multiplayer...

edit
They also said back then they used iD Tech 4:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/15/prey-2-announced-doesn-t-use-id-tech-5/1

Same as Doom 3. Surely they must have upgraded? Id Tech 5 is Rage, Id Tech 6 is under development. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_6

Ah, now I remember the old unveil:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424852

And that was two years ago. Wonder how much of that is true today. And I wonder if they added multiplayer...

edit
They also said back then they used iD Tech 4:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/15/prey-2-announced-doesn-t-use-id-tech-5/1

Same as Doom 3. Surely they must have upgraded?

They were only using the framework of Tech 4, it's been upgraded to hell and back. Not sure if they would still be using it now.

brilliant news, although I worry how much it's changed from the initial gameplay reveal. I hope it's still open world, but I'll still bite even if it isn't.

Jarmel

Banned

For what part?

There's a brief summary on Kotaku with sources where they point out the lost talent and development issues:
Wisconsin developer Human Head Studios seems to be bleeding talent—something that could throw their future as a AAA developer into doubt. Last month, the studio's COO—who was "leading the company in Business Development, Product Development, Marketing and PR"—and development director left.

Those who either departed or were laid off since the beginning of the year include: the company's HR manager, a game programmer, a level scripter, a lead graphics programmer, a lead programmer, a QA person, a technology programmer, an associate producer, a character and lighting artist, a combat designer (apparently technically still at HH, but contracting for another studio in another state), and an audio director. In all, that is 13 notable people who left a studio that had a headcount of around 50-70 at their peak.

Despite Human Head and Bethesda's insistence that Prey 2 is still a thing that will see release at some point, thirty-something developers are probably not enough manpower to handle development of a AAA open-world sandbox title with far more complex systems and more content than your typical linear action game, especially if Prey 2 still has a ways to go quality-wise as the publisher claims. Also, recent passive-aggressive tweets from Human Head employees do not exactly inspire the much confidence that the contractual dispute between the developer and Bethesda has even been resolved at this point.

The Prey developer did, however, recently release its first free-to-play game for Android—a cartoony tower defense title—to absolutely no fanfare, and Human Head is also trying to get a Rune sequel off the ground.

Edit:Forgot link
http://kotaku.com/5948602/a-possibl...opulous-from-romania-and-other-gaming-secrets

Great news if true, but I'm surprised Bethesda doesn't have an event planned for the next financial year to show off its entire line up.

Whatever the disputes that took place in the past, hope that all disputes were resolved amicably because there is money to be made here with Prey 2 particularly with new consoles around the corner.

NBtoaster

Derrick01

Banned
Do people honestly think this is going to be as good as that demo made it look? That was a long time and lots of drama ago.

Jarmel

Banned
Seems there were problems but the parts about them springing the metacritic thing on Obsidian and paying reviewers to lower New Vegas score are very dubious, which is supposedly precedent for what they say is happening now.

As for the New Vegas stuff, I have no clue. Haven't looked into it.

Great news if true, but I'm surprised Bethesda doesn't have an event planned for the next financial year to show off its entire line up.

It normally does every mid-April (with the exception of 2009, I think) - its BFG events. In 2009, it was held in London to show European press Brink and announce Fallout: New Vegas.

In 2010, it was held in Las Vegas and just outside Paris for US and European press respectively to show Brink, Hunted, RAGE and Fallout: New Vegas.

In 2011, worldwide press were invited out to Park City in Utah to see Skyrim, more RAGE, more Brink, more Hunted and show Prey 2 for the first time to those outside GameReactor and a French magazine (as I said above, I was at that event and the one the year before in Paris for VG247).

For 2012, it took a break. And it wouldn't have had too many games to show at the time (just Dishonored and I don't think TESO was announce at the time).

I reckon they will have one this year. If this whole Prey 2 thing pans out, they'll be able to show it by then. And plus, Zwei is meant to be out this year. Plus, more new TESO stuff.

DaBuddaDa

Seems there were problems but the parts about them springing the metacritic thing on Obsidian and paying reviewers to lower New Vegas score are very dubious, which is supposedly precedent for what they say is happening now.

Hey, at least Arkane must have got a well deserved bonus for Dishonored.

It normally does every mid-April (with the exception of 2009, I think) - its BFG events. In 2009, it was held in London to show European press Brink and announce Fallout: New Vegas.

In 2010, it was held in Las Vegas and just outside Paris for US and European press respectively to show Brink, Hunted, RAGE and Fallout: New Vegas.

In 2011, worldwide press were invited out to Park City in Utah to see Skyrim, more RAGE, more Brink, more Hunted and show Prey 2 for the first time to those outside GameReactor and a French magazine (as I said above, I was at that event and the one the year before for in Paris VG247).

For 2012, it took a break. And it wouldn't have had too many games to show at the time (just Dishonored and I don't think TESO was announce at the time).

I reckon they will have one this year. If this whole Prey 2 thing pans out, they'll be able to show it by then. And plus, Zwei is meant to be out this year. Plus, more new TESO stuff.

Yes you're right, thanks for the reminder, the absense of one in 2012 threw me, but this year it would be a good idea with the number of possible titles to unveil. Perhaps the industry is waiting on Sony and Microsoft to formally next gen consoles before confirming press events.

Do people honestly think this is going to be as good as that demo made it look? That was a long time and lots of drama ago.

I remain hopeful, but I do worry it's changed significantly due to the behind the scenes drama / problems.

still, even if it has changed, I hope they retain at least some of what was in the old gameplay demo. the open world would be very nice, the bounty hunting element, some of the verticality shown would also be great, I don't particularly mind the free running being cut, although it would be disappointing if it has been.

Hindle

Banned
Anyone else think the 3rd party's will have thier own game days after the next gen is announced? Bethesda will definatly do one, Ubi always have as well.

Edit: E3 will be nuts and no doubt so many games will get swept away by the hype.

Top Bottom